• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What Strategy Would Win Ron Paul the Republican Nomination/Presidency

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I have been interested in the U.S.'s Republican's candidate nominating process for the office of the President this year.

At first I didn't think my favorite candidate [Ron Paul] had a rat’s ass chance in winning the nomination. Now I think that it is still against the odds yet also it is reasonably possible.

Some of the reasons I feel it’s an uphill battle is because:

1. RP seems to be limited as to his ability to compromise his values/positions (this is also a reason why I like the guy too)

2. The media appears to dislike him or otherwise desire to ignore him or discount him and otherwise stuck in this mindset (for whatever reasons).

3. The Republican Party’s status quo, leaders, and membership and taking into account those states won't allow independents to participate in their caucus/primaries

4. Ron’s age and physical constitution.

5. The taste and expectation for the general public for the welfare state and a higher state of government intervention in their own and others’ lives within the country (as well as their apathy or ignorance of federalism)

So if you were Ron's campaign manager what tactics/strategies would you use to win the Presidency from this point on?

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Encourage other Republican candidates to debate (or talk in any form about anything) as much as possible

Emphasize the wars on cancer patients, air travelers, and free speech perpetuated by this administration and applauded by other colleagues seeking the Republican nomination

Moneybomb

Start building a progressive/Democrat voting bloc, because Obama definitely cannot claim these votes based on his recent performance

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Start building a progressive/Democrat voting bloc, because Obama definitely cannot claim these votes based on his recent performance

Yes I particularly see this as a key tactic both for the general election against Obama as well, to a degree, to convince pragmatic moderate Republicans of Ron's status as far as 'winablity' in the general election against Obama.

I think that he can get some of those liberal Democrats who are into the "peace movement" to jump on board to his ticket. So thus the challenge is to court those Democrats and Independents who lean to the left on foreign policy and some other social issues (i.e. medical marijuana states rights) without alienating to much of the core Republicans (especially prior to the convention)

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Another aspect I find interesting is the numbers game. There are both problems and benefits of having a race with many candidates for the position. Divide and conquer with acts issues that split up the competitions. "My enemy's enemy becoming my friend (at least for the short term)" and using others as scapegoats and money's paws (having others take the blame or do your dirty work).

Bachmann seems specially fit for some good use before she is disposed (unwittingly or no)

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Yes I particularly see this as a key tactic both for the general election against Obama as well, to a degree, to convince pragmatic moderate Republicans of Ron's status as far as 'winablity' in the general election against Obama.

I think that he can get some of those liberal Democrats who are into the "peace movement" to jump on board to his ticket. So thus the challenge is to court those Democrats and Independents who lean to the left on foreign policy and some other social issues (i.e. medical marijuana states rights) without alienating to much of the core Republicans (especially prior to the convention)

I'm really really liberal and Ron Paul is the only candidate currently on the board who I would consider voting for (Kucinich is my favorite politician but he can't run right now). I am sick of Obama's shit, especially recently with the lack of veto for the detaining americans without trial thing that happened. So yeah, courting liberals a little bit would not be a bad idea SO LONG AS he makes it clear that he's looking at the general election. He'd do much better in the general election than in the Republican primaries.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Also Romney appears the candidate to beat. His current largest fear seems to be Newt. Even to the point where a win for Paul in Iowa would appear to him to be a win for him (not as good a win as taking 1st in the state himself but still a win nevertheless). Perhaps the campaigns could work with each other to a degree against a common enemy. I'm not sure exactly how beside each side focusing most of their negative adds and attention against Newt rather than each other.

Beorn

Permabanned
Well, I think for the most part they are doing what they should be doing. Honestly, a book could be written in response, because there are so many moving parts to a campaign and maneuverability is important. Nevertheless, here are some thoughts:

1. Large financial expenditures in Iowa are critical, because having a strong start is incredibly important for both future fundraising and improving in polls. This is especially true when you can't rely on the media for any exposure.
2. Spending most Iowa money on negative TV ads pointing out the weaknesses in the front runners' records. This will easily allow Ron to differentiate himself because Ron's record is pristine and principled. The hope is that success in Iowa will lead to a bump in NH. It also forces the field to widen allowing him to win with only 25%.
4. Properly leverage grassroots through organizing Get out the vote (gotv) campaigns and phone from home polling to identify supporters in both Iowa and NH.
5. Begin laying down groundwork for organization in the many western caucus states that vote between Florida and super Tuesday. This could be a long knockout drag-out battle and Ron's best chances of capturing delegates are in western caucus states where his libertarian ideals are more readily accepted and the process of caucusing is heavily influenced by well organized gotv efforts. Also, wins in these states would also build some much needed momentum going into super Tuesday should Paul win Iowa but still place second in NH, SC, and Fl.
6. Overall, he's making the right decision by focusing state by state and not worrying about national polls... Unlike perry who is buying up nationally televised ads.
7. It is unlikely that a clear winner will emerge early as socons hate Romney and will begin to hate Gingrich the more they learn about him. Thus being strategic in picking up delegates may be very important. There is talk by Rove and others that it's very likely we might end up with a brokered convention where nobody picks up a majority.

Lark

I know its exciting to pretend that Paul's a freedom fighter and the media and political establishment is out to stop him and everyone who isnt a supporter is a zombi or some nonsense but the more mundane reality, that he's pushing a dated ideology which can not work, has got to dawn eventually.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
So yeah, courting liberals a little bit would not be a bad idea SO LONG AS he makes it clear that he's looking at the general election. He'd do much better in the general election than in the Republican primaries.
Yeah I think that reassuring the Republican core during the primaries that communications, coalitions and confederacies with Independent and progressive Democrats are acts of win-win for all and not abandonment.

The masses at the core don’t appear to be the most rational/intellectual of people, thus a different tact than mere logical explanation should be considered.

One doorway may be the fact that the Republican party has been so infiltrated by Neocon philosophy, media and leaders that a instead of allowing his candidacy to apologize, seek excuse or pragmating justification from the mass at the core that he should take reframe his candidacy as something larger than itself.

Perhaps return to paleoconservatism (via libertarianism) with the similar zeal as Old Testament prophet’s. To go on the offensive and paint those neocon elements in the Republican party as simply a distortion of new liberalism and Trotskyism. Thus instead of being painted as an isolationist to reinvent himself as a nationalist and not a “one worlder” or part of the new world order.

This would be heavy rhetoric so he would need to recruit some mouthpieces (perhaps within the libertarian wings of the tea parties) to push this points. Some younger republicans and those wanting advancement in leadership within the Teaparties might fit the bill.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I know its exciting to pretend that Paul's a freedom fighter and the media and political establishment is out to stop him and everyone who isnt a supporter is a zombi or some nonsense but the more mundane reality, that he's pushing a dated ideology which can not work, has got to dawn eventually.

For the purpose of this post lets just pretend or (for the nonbelievers) suspend disbelief. If there is not enough substance apparent then use appearances or perception (or how it can be distorted). We all know that the best person doesn't always get the job so lets use our imaginations to work the best with the clay we get.

For example I am not a fan of Chiang Kai-shek but with retrospect and creativity I could play a game where I could lead him a course where history would see him as the winner over Mao Zedong

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
7. It is unlikely that a clear winner will emerge early as socons hate Romney and will begin to hate Gingrich the more they learn about him. Thus being strategic in picking up delegates may be very important. There is talk by Rove and others that it's very likely we might end up with a brokered convention where nobody picks up a majority.
I see this point as a key of focus (especially if Newt gets castrated in Iowa). Never underestimate the power of polarizing the southern states from their New England cousins. I think the libertarian values may raise up state rights values long forgotten (hopefully sans racism).

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Illustrations of mistakes of the other candidates are fair game for this thread.

6. Overall, he's making the right decision by focusing state by state and not worrying about national polls... Unlike perry who is buying up nationally televised ads. .

Yeah that seemed both dumb and wasteful. Maybe a little but I say way too many Perry ads in California and thought to myself. "If this guy wins I hope he is not as wasteful with my tax dollars as he is with his campaign cash".

Beorn

Permabanned
Paul is now ahead in Iowa.

Iowa: Paul 23, Romney 20, Gingrich 14, Santorum/Perry/Bachmann 10, Huntsman 4, Johnson 2

There's only 2 weeks so hopefully things will mostly stay the same. Nonetheless, Paul now needs to attack Romney hard and become the anti-Romney. More Newt supporters have Romney as their second instead of Paul so Newt falling more won't help.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2011/12/paul-leads-in-iowa.html

Beorn

Permabanned
By the way I love the strategy of this campaign. Back in college I helped run and win an anti-establishment campaign for student president. Most fun I had in college were those couple of weeks of strategizing and campaigning.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Paul is now ahead in Iowa.

Iowa: Paul 23, Romney 20, Gingrich 14, Santorum/Perry/Bachmann 10, Huntsman 4, Johnson 2

There's only 2 weeks so hopefully things will mostly stay the same. Nonetheless, Paul now needs to attack Romney hard and become the anti-Romney. More Newt supporters have Romney as their second instead of Paul so Newt falling more won't help.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2011/12/paul-leads-in-iowa.html

Yeah now its crunch time. No use in spending money on the negative adds for Newt his goose is cooked (at least as far as Iowas concerned) No more Newt on the menu, now is the time to take off the Mittens. This goes double in New Hampshire and South Carolina (as well as Nevada, I wouldn't spend as much dough on Florida which is being penalized anyway by %50 of its delegates. He just made another 4 million from another Tea Party money bomb last weekend. Now is the time to invest in an add blitz.

As far as all the weird stuff happening in world events its just as well that the last debate prior to Iowa caucus is over.

A

A window to the soul

I have been interested in the U.S.'s Republican's candidate nominating process for the office of the President this year.

At first I didn't think my favorite candidate [Ron Paul] had a rat’s ass chance in winning the nomination. Now I think that it is still against the odds yet also it is reasonably possible.

Some of the reasons I feel it’s an uphill battle is because:
So if you were Ron's campaign manager what tactics/strategies would you use to win the Presidency from this point on?
I would teach Ron Paul how to effectively communicate to an NT audience. I can only take so much of his whiny-emotional communication style before...
-technicolor yawns- I stop listening.

1. RP seems to be limited as to his ability to compromise his values/positions (this is also a reason why I like the guy too)
Most importantly, I would like to see Ron Paul prove he doesn't completely lack the ability to compromise because if he does lack the ability to compromise, I imagine he will be a very stubborn president.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I would teach Ron Paul how to effectively communicate to an NT audience. I can only take so much of his whiny-emotional communication style before...
-technicolor yawns- I stop listening.

Most importantly, I would like to see Ron Paul prove he doesn't completely lack the ability to compromise because if he does lack the ability to compromise, I imagine he will be a very stubborn president.

RP is not a natural charismatic speaker but maybe its not too late for him to join toastmasters and get some pointers.

Back when I took some leadership training and they suggested entering into a leadership scenario initially as a hard ass or not pandering oneself as a compromiser as did Obama. Let them earn it. In the meantime his views are varied enough where he could work on forming political coalitions (such as to do a more aggressive audit of the fed and limit their ability to write blank checks for trillion dollar bailouts for their buddies).

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Nothing like taking the lead for the dirty pool to begin against Ron watch the interviewer play the race card (and reading his body language one can tell the reporter is asking these questions because his boss insisted, he [the interviewer] even looks guilty/ashamed ) Fast forward to about 6:30 on the below video clip for the racy parts.

If you don't know what they are talking about this relates to a 20 year old story where one of the writers for Ron Paul’s newsletters started writing some articles that were not just racist but 'off the wall' racist for a short period of time. Ron Paul disavowed the opinions and subsequently the president og the NAACP said Ron Paul is not a racist.

A

A window to the soul

If you don't know what they are talking about this relates to a 20 year old story where one of the writers for Ron Paul’s newsletters started writing some articles that were not just racist but 'off the wall' racist for a short period of time. Ron Paul disavowed the opinions and subsequently the president og the NAACP said Ron Paul is not a racist.
Interesting. I think Ron Paul is a good man. He may have disavowed his views once he saw the negative affect it had on people; at minimum, he didn't thoroughly QA his newsletter. Regardless, I think he should take responsibility for everything that was published under his name that he made money off of, which he doesn't appear to be doing now. And maybe he already did that 20-yrs ago and feels like he shouldn't have to go over it again, but to those of us that are still on the fence about him and just now hearing about the newsletter writings, it's like it just happened. What would it hurt for him to be humble, be calm, put a smile on his face, accept responsibility for the facts, and apologize for not doing a thorough QA check before the final release? I would respect that. I don't respect the emotional distress coupled with resistance to address all of the facts/concerns.