• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Faux INTJ?

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, I wonder... if I had typed myself as an INTJ, how quickly would you guys have found me out?

If i met you i would have sniffed you out after some time. at least if you where a guy. (jugding by your picture your not)

OP
Have you completed basically every school and course you have taken? I did that despite being a absolute disaster on school up to about 16 years.

and if you really are a INTJ you are probably young. i think you are regardless tho.

in my work group i am currently the least educated. i work within engineering. I make the cool stuff ;)

i do not consider myself to be very bright either. But.. god damn it is a lot of dumb fuckers out there.

what did you do for entertainment at young age?

Daemon Corax

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
and if you really are a INTJ you are probably young.

I fail to follow your train of thought.

EDIT:
Have you completed basically every school and course you have taken? I did that despite being a absolute disaster on school up to about 16 years.

Also, this is not necessarily one of the traits that define INTJs. If you are trying to imply that completing every course one's taken makes them more likely to be INTJs, I think you might be wrong. Of course, we are interested in studying, improving and gaining more knowledge, but many of us don't always bother when they're not interested in a particular subject.

I don't want to be a meanie, but here and there Frostshade sounds more INTJ-ish than you do. ( I guess that's stereotyping. Oh, well)

Frostshade

MBTI Type
IXXX
Well, my 'theory' is there to be improved, ain't it? :) The fantasy element is related to intuition ; in your case, it seems to be extraverted intuition. INTP may be a better fit, given the above descriptions. Would you like to take another test? http://kisa.ca/personality/
Take your time in picking the best options, then show us the results :)

Results: Ta-dah, your personality type is INTJ!
Introverted (I) 96% Extraverted (E) 4%
Intuitive (N) 77% Sensing (S) 23%
Thinking (T) 100% Feeling (F) 0%
Judging (J) 50% Perceiving (P) 50%

It should be noted that I selected a lot of "in between" options. In cases were I can see myself doing either option. Also, the frigging J an P are back to back again! At this point, with all of yalls help I'm pretty sure of the IN at least

Frostshade

MBTI Type
IXXX
My incination is toward you being and INTx of some kind, but I do think you have some misconceptions about NFs - INFPs in particular are hard to type because Fi is about values and what an INFP values is specific to the indivdual and can sometimes make us look like other types.
That would make it hard to ID sometimes. I'm willing to accept the possibility that my values mimic INTJ behavior/thoughts.
That statement does read as one with a strong thinking preference, but another way to look at it is to ask yourself what you would do if you were faced with a decision that you had to choose between what was logical and what you felt strongly about. If logic and what is right to you always agree and you never feel torn between the two, then you are probably a "T", but if you have a strong sense of right and wrong that sometimes chooses "what is right to you" over the most logical solution, then you have at least some feeling preference - how often you choose logic over your sense of right and wrong and how much you struggle with it are things to consider.
This is a little complicated with me, and it may come back to what you were saying above. To me, moral and logic are intertwined. To be put in a circumstance where I am given a choice between good and evil, choosing good IS the logical choice. Many people don't have strong views on what is right and what is wrong. Many believe that morality can be a gray area at times. But being good does not always mean 'nice', or 'pleasant'. This is where people get confused. So when they see these others take these goodly choices, they either seem stupid or cruel, or both.

Example: I don't know if your familiar with the PC game Dragon Age, but to give you a quick rundown its an RPG set in a fantasy universe that calls upon you many times to make choices throughout the game concerning other characters. (WARNING SPOILERS: Don't read if you haven't beaten the game yet!) In this fantasy setting, those with magical talent are closely monitored, and kept under control of the church, because demonic entities have the ability to talk to them from beyond the veil and tempt them into letting them posses the mage. At other times the entity is strong enough to simply *sieze* control of the hapless mage. When this happens the mage becomes whats known as an abomination, a creature of incredible magical prowess and the cruel cunning of a demon. In my characters story, they came across the son of a noble lord, whose body was being seized by a demon of temptation. While he was able to regain control for short amounts of time, the demon was using him and his ability to terrorize his father's barony. Causing dozens of deaths, and creating a nightmarish army of corpses and spirits. Once a demon has sized control of a mage there is no option, this mage must be killed. Abominations have been mentioned in the game bringing down nations in the past. Now, my options with this boy was to try and negotiate with the demon (remember what it is), try to go to the mage's guild for help ( a trip that would take some time, leaving the barony at the mercy of this thing in the meantime) or kill the child. It wasn't his fault. He wasn't bad, he was only too week to keep the demon from taking control. It wasn't nice, it was horrible, but it was the moral choice to me (at the time) I killed the child. Better to be dead than to let him live like that, and it would be irresponsible to leave a barony in terror and mayhem while I travel for help. Sorry for the long anecdote, but thats what I'm talking about. The good choice *is* the logical choice. I don't separate the two.

I am one of those INfps that does not relate to the descriptions of our type that tells how harmonious we are. I care about a positive mood in my presence, but I enjoy debate and friendly arguments and I also play devil's advocate just for the fun of it (one of my pet peeves is blind belief in anything, so I like to make sure someone has actually put some thought into what they believe and I will challenge their beliefs (even if they are my own) to see if they are sheep or not)

Lol, my scenario goes like this;

Friend: " Casual idea or plan"
Me: "Explaining flaws 1 through 3 in the idea or plan"
Friend: " ಠ_ಠ"
Me: "What?"
I don't know about positive moods, I'm usually negative and it is only the last couple of years do I realize that people can pick up on it (though people who don't know me well sometimes think I'm in a bad mood when I'm really not) I will sometimes try to make a conscious effort to try and appear in a better mood. Small jokes and such to put them at their ease. I have to work with them so thats kind of important. Plus I don't like the thought of me spreading it to them.

I think "cynical idealist" would describe many INFPs. my idealized world would indeed be a prety close match to the above description, and I often try to convince myself that most people are ethical and have more good than evil in them, and that its just the few bad apples that exploit the goodness of others that make it look like more people are untrustworthy than actually are. I tend to be very skeptical of anyone in the world of business or politics, but for everyone else, I take the approach that they have a mix of both goodness and selfishness in them and that they will opt for goodness more often than not - Where I am very cynical tho is the matter of honor, I've seen many "good hearted" people that display no sense of honor, so seeing someone as honorable is something that only occurs after I have known them long enough to make a judgment.

I'm the opposite. People who are unknown to you should not be trusted 100%. I believe that at heart people are cruel, self-centered bastards. To be good and moral are not natural inclinations of humans. Any sort of genuine morality or goodness is more special because of it.

Thats good, thats the kind of reaction to reading type descriptions you want to pay attention to - thats basically how I feel about the INTJ description applied to me.

INFP and INTJ do have more in common than one might think at first glance, so for the benefit of theory...

INTJs and INFPs share cognitive funtions preferences for Te (extroverted thinking) and Fi (introverted feeling) but they have a different order of importance to each type. They differ on Ni (introverted intuition) vs Ne (extroverted intuition) and Se (extroverted sensing) vs Si (introverted sensing).

INTJ - Ni>Te>Fi>Se
INTP - Fi>Ne>Si>Te
INFJ - Ni>Fe>Ti>Se
INTP - Ti>Ne>Si>Fe

Ok, time to proclaim my ignorance. I have never fully grasped how the functions are supposed to work. I have a very weak hold on it, but I can't quite understand it. Could you explain this to me? Just remember you may have to talk down to me.

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I fail to follow your train of thought.
Some of the things he said reminded a bit of myself when i was young.

Also, this is not necessarily one of the traits that define INTJs. If you are trying to imply that completing every course one's taken makes them more likely to be INTJs, I think you might be wrong. Of course, we are interested in studying, improving and gaining more knowledge, but many of us don't always bother when they're not interested in a particular subject.

I don't want to be a meanie, but here and there Frostshade sounds more INTJ-ish than you do. ( I guess that's stereotyping. Oh, well)

aff...i completed everything i started because there where only gains on doing it.
When there is no better option you go with the crap you have.

Only got the bare minimum in the studies i found not interesting or relevant.

Interestingly he has avoided stating hes age and what kind of playing he did when he was young. last one says a few things.

Nicodemus

Interestingly he has avoided stating hes age and what kind of playing he did when he was young. last one says a few things.
As far as I can see, he has avoided to respond to your post altogether.

You can read in the opening post, though, that he has been in and is now out of college. That makes him at least 22 years old. My guess is that he is closer to 30 than to 20 years of age.

Daemon Corax

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
Here's a video that explains the differences between cognitive functions in INTJs and INTPs (since you scored 50% J, 50% P). There are several other articles and videos that I remember having found useful, but I'm in a hurry.

Here's another siter you might find useful, although the functions aren't depicted comparatively:
http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/

You could take a look here:
http://vikspiration.vikashan.com/guide-to-jungs-cognitive-functions

Not sure if I'm supposed to link to other forums, but well:
http://www.personalitynation.com/analytical-psychology/486-introduction-cognitive-functions.html

Yes, I know it's just a bunch of randomly chosen sites. Folks around here may be willing to offer a thorough explanation on the 8 cognitive functions, so you could check the links out just to find additional information.

Frostshade

MBTI Type
IXXX

It is depressing but I am 28. I read, played video games, and drew. That is the extent of it.

Frostshade

MBTI Type
IXXX
Here's a video that explains the differences between cognitive functions in INTJs and INTPs (since you scored 50% J, 50% P). There are several other articles and videos that I remember having found useful, but I'm in a hurry.

Yes, I know it's just a bunch of randomly chosen sites. Folks around here may be willing to offer a thorough explanation on the 8 cognitive functions, so you could check the links out just to find additional information.

Ok, wow. Ok....I have obviously been looking at this the wrong way. The video you shared has been VERY VERY helpful to me, and has let me know just how deep my lack of knowledge is on this. Judging from the other videos (if you believe this guy is reliable on his understanding and sources) I have been trying to draw from less than perfect sources for my understanding. So, I'm going to sit here quietly for a while and study a bit, and I'll keep bouncing off thoughts. That is if you want me to. Its a bit exciting, like finding out how a piece of the puzzle works. My only regret is I can't play TOR until I get a better grip of this.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Overall, I'd say your responses are consistant with what I would expect from someone with a strong T preference so I'd stick with that being the most probable case.

Frostshade said:
Example: I don't know if your familiar with the PC game Dragon Age...

I don't know about positive moods, I'm usually negative and it is only the last couple of years do I realize that people can pick up on it (though people who don't know me well sometimes think I'm in a bad mood when I'm really not) I will sometimes try to make a conscious effort to try and appear in a better mood. Small jokes and such to put them at their ease. I have to work with them so thats kind of important. Plus I don't like the thought of me spreading it to them.

It may be a false stereotype, but that is a trait I associate with IxTJs. If they do not make an effort to show a different mood, their natural state of being is more serious and can come across as negative if you don't understand that they are just being what comes natural to them (objectivity and critical thinking).

I'm the opposite. People who are unknown to you should not be trusted 100%. I believe that at heart people are cruel, self-centered bastards. To be good and moral are not natural inclinations of humans. Any sort of genuine morality or goodness is more special because of it.

I don't trust strangers 100% (even if only a fraction of a percent of humans were evil, it would simply be too risky to place 100% trust in all humans) and I do think that selfishness is part of human nature, but I don't think cruelty is a trait we are born with. Pure selfishness can sometimes appear as cruelty, but the motive is different and I feel that it is important to distingush between intent to be cruel and actions that result in cruelty that are the result of different motives. Anger and desire for revenge are in my opinion what leads people to cruelty - they were treated unfairly or cruely and so there is a natural desire for revenge which may very well be intentional cruelty. I believe humans are by nature susecptible to becoming cruel, but that it requires a trigger event to occur.

Ok, time to proclaim my ignorance. I have never fully grasped how the functions are supposed to work. I have a very weak hold on it, but I can't quite understand it. Could you explain this to me? Just remember you may have to talk down to me.

It looks like the videos that [MENTION=14874]Daemon Corax[/MENTION] linked do a good job of that.

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is depressing but I am 28. I read, played video games, and drew. That is the extent of it.

Exellent. what type of games and what did you draw? i played/play a lot myself. and i probably drew more than any of my peers from 5-10 years age. To me there is a clear pattern in what i made drawings of, how i did it and what i do now.

Favorite books?

The guy in the video is Dave Powers he seems to know hes stuff. and he hates the online tests it does nothing but to confuse he says.
Subscribe to him he has currently been releasing a lot of videos on MBTI.

Frostshade

MBTI Type
IXXX
In this video he talks as if using a function that goes against your natural function, can be done but drains you. Would it not be possible then to figure out your functions, by determining what activities leave you drained? Or am I grasping this wrong?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
See it that way: if the others tell you that you dont fit point A-C in the INTJ profile so you aint INTJ then they are the ones who condemn their type to being never able to evolve.

That way you have already won :)

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In this video he talks as if using a function that goes against your natural function, can be done but drains you. Would it not be possible then to figure out your functions, by determining what activities leave you drained?

Sounds right to me. I suggest that you start with dance and singing lessons. Lets see your energy after that :D

Daemon Corax

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
In this video he talks as if using a function that goes against your natural function, can be done but drains you. Would it not be possible then to figure out your functions, by determining what activities leave you drained? Or am I grasping this wrong?

I believe such observations to be possible. Such a hypothesis would be based on an extrapolation of the impact that making use of certain cognitive functions may have on an individual. Introversion/extroversion is a crucial dimension of our personality that allows the process you've described. You know you're an introvert when you find social activities fatiguing, as opposed to deriving some sort of stimulation from it (extrovert).

However, since cognitive functions are a bit more complex, there may be difficulties you'll have to overcome. The first requirement would be having a good understanding of each function. "Classifying" your actions won't be a piece of cake if some functions share almost the same level of development. You do use all of your functions; the frequency of use and the preference for one or another make the difference.

Self-observation is a great method of typing yourself. Online tests, as you've probably noticed, can come up with inconsistent results. Nevertheless, taking multiple tests might give you some directions and lightly sketch your profile when it comes to MBTI/cognitive functions in case of patterns noticeable in your results. If you make heavy use of a certain function, it's very likely that you repetitively score high on it.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You know you're an introvert when you find social activities fatiguing, as opposed to deriving some sort of stimulation from it (extrovert).

That would make me an introvert.

So how to we solve this:

a) your thesis is flawed.
b) I am an introvert.
c) Your thesis is good but we just add entps to the exception list, so we dont have to think about it deeper ?

Daemon Corax

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
That would make me an introvert.

So how to we solve this:

a) your thesis is flawed.
b) I am an introvert.
c) Your thesis is good but we just add entps to the exception list, so we dont have to think about it deeper ?

I'd rather say the thesis is simplistic, therefore the same flaws that can be found in overgeneralizations will also be present here.
In fact, if we simply defined extroversion as focusing on the external world and we took into consideration the fact that extreme extroverts (as well as introverts) are rare, my thesis does seem to lose plausibility.

It wasn't given as axiom, but it should've served as an example to illustrate a generally valid concept. Thanks for pointing out my mistake, I'll make sure whatever I say is applicable to a larger amount of people.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I'd rather say the thesis is simplistic, therefore the same flaws that can be found in overgeneralizations will also be present here.
In fact, if we simply defined extroversion as focusing on the external world and we took into consideration the fact that extreme extroverts (as well as introverts) are rare, my thesis does seem to lose plausibility.

It wasn't given as axiom, but it should've served as an example to illustrate a generally valid concept. Thanks for pointing out my mistake, I'll make sure whatever I say is applicable to a larger amount of people.

Ya, you must be an intj, no other type else does write a book about mistakes :D.

We once had an intresting thesis about introversion and extroversion. it went into the direction of introspection and empathy. While an extrovert could be more empathic, because he does reflect his own thoughts by talking about them with other people, an introvert would be someone who needs time to think things thru for himself and who is great at introspection, at seeing his inner world and drawing viable conclusions for him- / herself from that. An extrovert could not do that and would starve at one point and stagnate in his development because of a lack of other people thinking for him about him.

We gave the terms another nuance by calling it "social introversion" and "mbti introversion". What do you think ?

Daemon Corax

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
Ya, you must be an intj, no other type else does write a book about mistakes :D.

We once had an intresting thesis about introversion and extroversion. it went into the direction of introspection and empathy. While an extrovert could be more empathic, because he does reflect his own thoughts by talking about them with other people, an introvert would be someone who needs time to think things thru for himself and who is great at introspection, at seeing his inner world and drawing viable conclusions for him- / herself from that. An extrovert could not do that and would starve at one point and stagnate in his development because of a lack of other people thinking for him about him.

We gave the terms another nuance by calling it "social introversion" and "mbti introversion". What do you think ?

Makes sense, especially since one major obstacle to carrying out a productive discussion is a different understanding of the terms used by its participants.

Indeed, one must note that between the terms introversion-extroversion as defined by Jung and the everyday use of these words a separation has taken place. They became confused, I guess, with ideas ike sociability or friendliness (perhaps because introverts and extroverts have a tendency of approaching social situations differently).
This discrepance I am speaking of can be illustrated by the fact that shyness can be manifested both by introverts and extroverts.

True, due to the introvert's higher interest in his mental, internal life, he is more likely to attain certain self-knowledge. But hey, you (extroverts) seem to be happier in a way, Mr. Mel Gibson!