• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJ: Do you/they resermble the descriptions?

plaminal

MBTI Type
xSFP
Enneagram
7?
(Ummm.... I meant "resemble." No one tried to arrest me for this; what does it mean?)

I've been trying to learn more about INTJs. The descriptions say things like:

self-confident and sometimes seen as arrogant
perfectionists
may reject authority
hard-working and reliable
information gatherers
imaginative
insightful
ambitious
often spend a lot of time in their own minds
not emotionally demonstrative

Are INTJs really like this? If you are an INTJ or know one very well, would you fill me in on the reality?

Last edited:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ditto.

@ OP: Why do you ask? It seems almost that you are seeking reassurance that it isn't so.

gandalf

MBTI Type
INTJ
All of that matches me as well but I also find the question somewhat weird as well.

plaminal

MBTI Type
xSFP
Enneagram
7?
Hi... I'm just another hard-to-type person. I'm doing research, and have already "done" INFJ, INFP, and most of what I'll do to learn about INTJ. The descriptions online and in 2 books I have didn't always seem to match the people on the forums very well, and I've been trying various methods of getting to what the people are really like.

Thanks for the replies.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I only know one INTJ in real life, but heres my observation

self-confident and sometimes seen as arrogant - confident about his beliefs, arrogantly rejecting other peoples view about the beliefs if they doesent mach his.
perfectionists - on some things yes.
may reject authority - this is bit complicated, short answer would be yes, but also needs authority figures or he wont believe what people tell him about stuff.
hard-working and reliable - hard-working yes, reliable on some stuff, not on everything, wouldnt call him more reliable than average person overally.
information gatherers - definitely.
imaginative - i would call it delusional, drawing weird conclusions about stuff and hard Fi convictions about them.
insightful - yes and no. He might get really profound insights about certain stuff(like hypothesis about how the world works), but if you ask him insight about something, you most likely wont get any.
ambitious - no.
often spend a lot of time in their own minds - yes, to the extends where he gets totally detached from external world, but is able to operate on autopilot.
not emotionally demonstrative - true.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
(Ummm.... I meant "resemble." No one tried to arrest me for this; what does it mean?)

self-confident and sometimes seen as arrogant (I'm confident in my ability to learn, not so much in my actual knowledge about something, unless it's something I've studied. Some do see me as arrogant, yes.)
perfectionists (I can be. But I'm also very pragmatic, and if the perfect solution takes more effort than it appears to be worth, I won't bother.)
may reject authority (definitely, I do that. I have a bit of a rebellious streak sometimes.)
hard-working and reliable (I think that applies to me.)
information gatherers (absolutely. If I don't have enough information about something, I'm hardly able to act at all. It's kind of a weakness in many ways)
imaginative (Yes, but not necessarily in the stereotypical way. I'm more likely to imagine solutions to problems than new concepts.)
insightful (I think I can be, if I know the subject well)
ambitious (On things I consider important. Not so much in other areas)
often spend a lot of time in their own minds (Absolutely 100%. Almost to a fault.)
not emotionally demonstrative (No, I'm not terribly emotional. That's not to say I don't feel though. I often feel very deeply, for people, things, etc. It just never shows, and doesn't play much of a role in my decision-making process.)

Are INTJs really like this? If you are an INTJ or know one very well, would you fill me in on the reality?

I can't vouch for the reliability of my opinion, since self-awareness isn't exactly my strong suit, but you can take it for what it's worth, anyway.

Firelie

Magical
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Hmm, to clarify... I don't reject authority unless the authority is obviously wrong, or incompetent, or is staring at my boobs while talking to me.

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yes, though I'm also very shy, so I may seem confident or arrogant at times (usually around my friends and family) or extremely unconfident at other times (when talking to other people). Although, a lot of people do mistake shyness for arrogance, so they might see me as arrogant even then, when I'm actually very uncertain of myself.

I also occasionally demonstrate my emotions, but usually not ones regarding myself. When I do show emotions, it's usually concern for other people, not myself. I'm a T rather than an F simply because I don't let emotions affect my decisions. I'm often upset that I have to do things that might make other people feel bad though - I have strong emotions, but an even stronger thinking trait.

And I do usually reject authority. Since I'm young, I am forced to follow the rules of adults, though I try my best to show my displeasure. Even when I agree with authority, I still don't like that someone thinks they have the right to tell me or anyone else what to do.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

self-confident and sometimes seen as arrogant
perfectionists
may reject authority-When it needs to be rejected
hard-working and reliableReliable, yes. Hard working when I am interested or it just has to get done and requires hard work to do it. Wasted effort is just that, I aim to be efficient so I have more time to procrastinate and daydream
information gatherers
imaginative
insightful
ambitious
often spend a lot of time in their own minds
not emotionally demonstrative

The rest of the list is a pretty good though short list.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
self-confident and sometimes seen as arrogant Yes and sometimes
perfectionists Yes
may reject authority Hmm..more like I don't usually consider it.
hard-working and reliable Yes, very.
information gatherers Yes
imaginative Can be
insightful Can be
ambitious Yes
often spend a lot of time in their own minds A lot of time
not emotionally demonstrative True

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
self-confident and sometimes seen as arrogant - depends and sometimes...I have a lot more doubts about myself than people think I believe
perfectionists - yes
may reject authority - Yes, I have no innate respect for authority per se or established hierarchies, at the same time I'm not the person to be contrary for the sake of it and function within the system (though people sometimes call me dangerous or a bit of a troublemaker because I don't have those boundaries in my mind...it's really more a state of mind than stuff that I do concretely)...to me this is just an openness INTJs have...I'm willing to entertain everyone's opinion or listen to what they have to say, everyone can say interesting stuff, everyone can be disappointing (or say not so interesting stuff, it's not like I go around judging people as interesting or boring all day long). Actually, ceecee's reply is probably most accurate on this topic.
hard-working and reliable - yes
information gatherers - Yes and no...in that while I often wonder about things I come across on a spontaneous/whimsical basis and want to know more about them, concrete facts bore me when I can instead make intuitive connections...especially gathering information in a planned setting where I'm supposed to go through the gathering meticulously and methodically...that's not for me.
imaginative - yes
insightful - yes
ambitious - yes, but not blindly so, I do take my job/research seriously and have an idea of where I would like to end up (because I think it's both the most interesting and the most pragmatically optimal position for me), but that's always subject to change
often spend a lot of time in their own minds - yes
not emotionally demonstrative - depends on my mood

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
self-confident and sometimes seen as arrogant - yes
perfectionists - yes
may reject authority - yes, but only if they're idiots. I have no inherent problem with authority.
hard-working and reliable - yes on the first, but, on the second, I'm no ISTJ. I do what I want. When it comes to serious shit, though, my friends know I will go to any length.
information gatherers - yes
imaginative - yes, but I'm no Ne-user. Imagination for me isn't spontaneous playing around. It's more srs bsns.
insightful - yes
ambitious - yes
often spend a lot of time in their own minds - always
not emotionally demonstrative - it's hard to be. doesn't mean I can't be if the emotion is authentic, it just has to push me over a certain threshold. once i'm over that threshold, i can be very demonstrative, as the emotion is obviously strong.

crack

"may reject authority" should be re-written as "[in principle/automatically] suspicious of authority."

INTJ loves order, so it loves authority, but the problem is it's the INTJ opinion that there's a lot of incompetence in the world. Since INTJ's tend to be good at coming up with solutions to problems, they are suspicious of other people telling them what to do or what-have-you since they think there's better chance others are incompetent than competent [and thereby effective, suitable, rightful authority]. Once a person has been proven as a competent leader or authority figure, they have no problem following that person's lead.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"may reject authority" should be re-written as "[in principle/automatically] suspicious of authority."

INTJ loves order, so it loves authority, but the problem is it's the INTJ opinion that there's a lot of incompetence in the world. Since INTJ's tend to be good at coming up with solutions to problems, they are suspicious of other people telling them what to do or what-have-you since they think there's better chance others are incompetent than competent [and thereby effective, suitable, rightful authority]. Once a person has been proven as a competent leader or authority figure, they have no problem following that person's lead.

Exactly.

Jack427

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The rest of the list is a pretty good though short list.

Your kind is not welcome here, IxTJ.

hiss.jpg

That list applies to me pretty well, though I am usually just hard working with things I am interested in, and I am skeptical of authority usually. I myself like having positions of authority.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your kind is not welcome here, IxTJ.

hiss.jpg

That list applies to me pretty well, though I am usually just hard working with things I am interested in, and I am skeptical of authority usually. I myself like having positions of authority.

You seem to have a dead link to a photo. My interest is waning.

Nicodemus

If you open the link in a new tab/window, it works. It just cannot be imbedded in the forum. Proof: It shows a hissing cat.