• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJ: Do you/they resermble the descriptions?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
self-confident and sometimes seen as arrogant
not emotionally demonstrative

My dad is an INTJ, I've worked with some INTJs, am dating an INTJ, and went on a date with another INTJ - from that I would say those two are inaccurate and vary widely. Some INTJs are prototypical robots (probably more so at work) others can seem downright warm and sociable (probably more on first date mode).

I also think INFPs mistype as INTJ more often than one might think.

As for 'noticeably confident' some are probably to the point of arrogance or even being pompous. I would also think it's situational as INTJs can become 'experts' in an area (self-appointed or not). Similar to how an INTP that is normally quiet and shy can suddenly become feisty and even trollish about a particular area of expertise.

But, you're just as likely to get a very unassuming INTJ. That doesn't mean a lack of confidence, just a lack of showiness.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
...agreed about Ni-Se, but then conveniently left out how this extends to Si-Ne, Te-Fi, and Fe-Ti.

It makes total sense to me if you think of the choose [ ] supress [ ] reject [ ] ignore [ ] as a cascading matrix: choose Ni supress Se reject Ne ignore Si.... Carries over even to an aux function quite nicely: choose Fe supress Ti reject Te ignore Fi. It just "makes sense" regardless of Beebe or where it came from. Yes Fe and Te are equidistant as Fe to Fi, but this distinction of suppression vs rejection vs ignoring makes the idea of cognitive processes (instead of a toolbox way of looking at it) more understandable. I don't agree that an ENTP has Si because he did some accounting. He's still supressing it in order to be an ENTP...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It makes total sense to me if you think of the choose [ ] supress [ ] reject [ ] ignore [ ] as a cascading matrix: choose Ni supress Se reject Ne ignore Si.... Carries over even to an aux function quite nicely: choose Fe supress Ti reject Te ignore Fi. It just "makes sense" regardless of Beebe or where it came from. Yes Fe and Te are equidistant as Fe to Fi, but this distinction of suppression vs rejection vs ignoring makes the idea of cognitive processes (instead of a toolbox way of looking at it) more understandable. I don't agree that an ENTP has Si because he did some accounting. He's still supressing it in order to be an ENTP...
Can you explain this distinction? How exactly to suppression, rejection, and ignoring differ? Also, how does this view of cognitive processes differ from what you refer to as the "toolbox way"?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

I agree with all of this, except for the part where you say "Fe supress Ti reject Te ignore Fi".

It should actually be "Fe supress Ti reject Fi ignore Te".

What one "rejects" is of the same function, but of the opposite attitude.

What one "ignores" is of the same attitude, but the other function of the same judging/perceiving function-type.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
Something about your judgmental dickishness just brings out my Fe police. :cop:

My main complaint (yeah, yeah, I know you don't care): Is that you are a hypocrit. You personally attack others and exhibit bullying behavior, while at the same time attempting to call it out in others. Quit being a hypocrit and I'll quit calling you out on it.
That's an accurate assessment. And I am by no means the only one who think so. :)

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You forgot "no sense of humour".

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I could *not* give a damn. I thought INTJs were supposed to be sticklers for proper usage. :coffee:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I could *not* give a damn. I thought INTJs were supposed to be sticklers for proper usage. :coffee:

I'm a little surprised none of them have demanded that the title typo be eliminated yet.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We're just jealous of your supreme organizational skillz.
And natty cape.

sculpting

Sounds about right to me. Ne, Ti, Fe and Si are ignored by the INTJ until they switch to a more "extroverted" mode of processing, wherein they basically become like immature ENTPs.

perhaps this is more Se? Rather than something more cognitively extreme such as a shadow entp state?

INTJs always seem a bit more ....concrete...in their cognitive makeup. They are notably resistent to external influence, unlike other types, thus they dont (in my cummulative observations, aka my Si) seem to drop into this very negative shadow state, like Ne doms do. I have often speculated that their psychological defense mechanisms are more effective that some other MBTI types.

Also wrt to aphrodites commentary-INFJs seem more cognitively flexible than almost any other type, once past their Ni....Ni, Ti and Fe are always very obvious, even in text, but many have said they also feel as though they use Te a great deal and I strongly believe they can use Fi at times, based upon my personal interactions with INFJs. It makes sense that it might be a somewhat simplistic, primitive, roughly hewn use of these other functions-I admit to being wary in dismissing outright the claims of others, whose minds are not like mine. I do much prefer a symmetric cognitive model-but I dont think that is reality always across types given how certain types will feel the outer world in a much stronger way that others.....

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
perhaps this is more Se? Rather than something more cognitively extreme such as a shadow entp state?

INTJs always seem a bit more ....concrete...in their cognitive makeup. They are notably resistent to external influence, unlike other types, thus they dont (in my cummulative observations, aka my Si) seem to drop into this very negative shadow state, like Ne doms do.

Also wrt to aphrodites commentary-INFJs seem more cognitively flexible than almost any other type....Ni, Ti and Fe are always very obvious, even in text, but many have said they also feel as though they use Te a great deal and I strongly believe they can use Fi at times, based upon my personal interactions with INFJs. It makes sense that it might be a somewhat simplistic, primitive, roughly hewn use of these other functions-I admit to being wary in dismissing outright the claims of others, whose minds are not like mine. I do much prefer a symmetric cognitive model-but I dont think that is reality always across types given how certain types will feel the outer world in a much stronger way that others.....

Well, speaking for myself, while I am normally very resistant to any sort of outside influence, etc, under certain circumstances, when I'm among people I like and trust for example, and say I've had a few drinks, I can become very much like an Ne-dom. Maybe more like an ENFP, I'm not really sure though, it's hard to say because there doesn't seem to be much of either Fi or Ti. I certainly don't become dominant in the Te-Se way. I'm mostly just assuming ENTP based in theory, but the Ne attitude seems very much to become reality under the right circumstances. I don't know though, I could be wrong, these situations are rare enough for me that it's hard to properly analyze them.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A respectable post thus far.

You're wrong in places, and your theory is bunk, but still a respectable effort.

You also agreed about Ni-Se, but then conveniently left out how this extends to Si-Ne, Te-Fi, and Fe-Ti.

Rather ironically, I think it's your lack of Te that is making you think you have Te.

Oh, well... c'est la vie...

Since you keep saying I don't have Te, I thought I'd post why I think I utilize Te...

In general, I have come to think of Te as an information gathering function outside of oneself (whereas Ti is inside one's own mind). When Te works most efficiently, as I perceive it would in a Te dom or aux, millions of bits of data can be churned through quickly and thoroughly, and along with this comes speedy organization because the data will be better retained if it is sorted in an orderly manner, and The Te-er also usually multitasks well because we see their mental processes running concurrently side-by-side and this manifests as being able to efficiently do several things at once. Contrast this to Ti, and I think of Ti doms and auxes as being able to multitask mentally very well; keep track of many processes or structures at once, which is what enables them to come up with elaborate architectures for inventing, programming, etc. In short, someone who multitasks well externally is most likely a Te-er, and one who multitasks well internally most likely a Ti-er....

I'll use my Hartzler book to outline my test results (with 1 to 5, most being able to do it comfortably):

"I objectively define the scope of the problems." 5

"I set or identify measurable goals for my efforts and the efforts of other people." 4

"I logically determine sequences and priorities needed to efficiently complete a task, or manage a program." 5

"I communicate concisely and logically the steps necessary to reach a goal or solve a problem." 4

"I use logic to convince others to work toward goals or to accept my position in a discussion." 3

"I objectively organize the external world (people, time, space, and things) to achieve measurable goals." 5

"I turn effective processes and procedures into performance standards, rules, and reguations." 4

"I evaluate performace against meaurable goals and standards." 4

I tested on all the functions in this book, and got this order: Ni>Fe>Te>Si>Ne>Fi>Ti>Se

So, if you see Ti in me, it's likely because that is the nature of a forum, and it's more difficult to assess Te on here, especially as a more inferior function...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Te-er also usually multitasks well because we see their mental processes running concurrently side-by-side and this manifests as being able to efficiently do several things at once. Contrast this to Ti, and I think of Ti doms and auxes as being able to multitask mentally very well; keep track of many processes or structures at once, which is what enables them to come up with elaborate architectures for inventing, programming, etc. In short, someone who multitasks well externally is most likely a Te-er, and one who multitasks well internally most likely a Ti-er....
Interesting. I have very strong Te but absolutely HATE to multitask. I prefer to focus intently (intensely?) on one thing at a time, something I always considered symptomatic of Ni. I can orchestrate events remarkably well, but that is just the external implementation of an internally formulated plan. Now I wonder how common this is for my type . . .

pickledoctopus

MBTI Type
InTj
(Ummm.... I meant "resemble." No one tried to arrest me for this; what does it mean?)

I've been trying to learn more about INTJs. The descriptions say things like:

self-confident and sometimes seen as arrogant
perfectionists
may reject authority
hard-working and reliable
information gatherers
imaginative
insightful
ambitious
often spend a lot of time in their own minds
not emotionally demonstrative

Are INTJs really like this? If you are an INTJ or know one very well, would you fill me in on the reality?

Keep in mind that no-one is going to fit perfectly into the neat little INTJ box... I type myself as INTJ (based on the cognitive functions), and I am a sociable person. I smile. I'm aware that conceit is an easy trap to fall into, and I always try to respect others' opinion as best I can (playing the devil's advocate helps a lot).

There are certainly some largeer traits that we have in common... the ones you have named are susceptible to crop up in people like us.