• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Is being INTP a choice or is it inherent?

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
So the mentally retarded are immoral based upon genetic circumstances beyond their control?

A chemical imbalance in the brain, which may be a leading cause for depression, renders he who posses this imbalance to be, by no fault of their own, immoral?

Forgive me. What I meant to say was, choosing to live with a mental disorder is immoral. Unlike your examples, it is within the choice of an INTP to seek treatment and to learn to abstain from acting as an INTP. :yes:

A ban on marriage between two loving people?

Please, somebody, anyone, tell me (s)he's not serious. I don't have time for this right now; I wish I did.

That is an interesting question. It depends on whether you believe two INTPs can in fact, be in love. Would that even be a healthy love?

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
No way! Join the league of INT*s as we plot to enslave pitiful "feelers" in the matrix. Happiness, love, and illusions are all they want in life anyway. Humans are weak, inefficient, and inconsistent. They need to be controlled by the elite as they only seem capable of voting for incompetant leaders. Join us...:vader1:

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
No way! Join the league of INT*s as we plot to enslave pitiful "feelers" in the matrix. Humans are weak and inefficient. They need to be controlled by the elite as they only seem capable of voting for incompetant leaders. Join us...:vader1:

See, this is an example of the INTP agenda. I knew it existed! These poor deluded souls have long been conspiring to recruit the youth and normalize their behavior in everyone's eyes. :steam:

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
Deluded? Who was deluded before I revealed our plans? wait a second...

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
All this "love is nonsense" INTP-macho talk melts like snow for the sun once INTP's get kids...

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I should probably come clean about my position in this thread. Recently I watched a NARTH (National Assciation of Research and Therapy for Homosexuals) sponsored video entitled, "Homosexuality 101, What if it is not choice, what if it is not biological?" in which they made the arguments that homosexuality is a mental disorder. Then by coincidence, I stumbled upon this thread, "Is being INTP a choice or is it inherent?" and simply made a NARTH style argument against INTPs utilizing the same reasoning. Personally, I don't see much of a difference between judging people for their personality traits than I do for judging them for their sexuality traits. So I was just having some fun. I was surprised that Hotdoh took me as seriously as he did.

Tiamat

MBTI Type
INTP
I should probably come clean about my position in this thread. Recently I watched a NARTH (National Assciation of Research and Therapy for Homosexuals) sponsored video entitled, "Homosexuality 101, What if it is not choice, what if it is not biological?" in which they made the arguments that homosexuality is a mental disorder. Then by coincidence, I stumbled upon this thread, "Is being INTP a choice or is it inherent?" and simply made a NARTH style argument against INTPs utilizing the same reasoning. Personally, I don't see much of a difference between judging people for their personality traits than I do for judging them for their sexuality traits. So I was just having some fun. I was surprised that Hotdoh took me as seriously as he did.

If Hotdoh is anything like me, he was probably getting flashbacks from every teacher he's ever had.

Hotdoh

MBTI Type
INTP
All this "love is nonsense" INTP-macho talk melts like snow for the sun once INTP's get kids...

I don't have kids, and I'm fairly young; I also believe completely that I am an INTP. What I do NOT believe is that INTXs are incapable of compassion and real love.

Hotdoh

MBTI Type
INTP

Okay...phew. I actually did think of homosexuality and the whole "gay marriage" thing once you brought up INTP marriage; was that supposed to be a blatant allusion?

I can see the humor in this; it would possibly have even been funny if I knew you personally. It's just that I've encountered so many people with such moronic views that I find if simultaneously so simply and difficult to accept that one would hold such an opinion.

Delilah

We all got it comin' kid
MBTI Type
INTP
No thinking person would choose this.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If you thought it was all bullshit and you made a point of saying it in every thread you saw, well, that'd make you a troll. Lol.

I think of MBTI affiliations like I do constellations. With MBTI, it is PEOPLE who group and classify behaviors and cognitive styles, just as they do with stars. Just as stars aren't born as parts of constellations, people aren't born as INTP or ENFP or whatever. It's just people who classify them that way. People like the OP don't realize that and start fretting over who they are. It's like a star worrying about which constellation it belongs to. Kind of absurd, although confusing the map with the territory isn't anything new.

:)

P.S. I do say this is lots of threads... :ninja:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I think of MBTI affiliations like I do constellations. With MBTI, it is PEOPLE who group and classify behaviors and cognitive styles, just as they do with stars. Just as stars aren't born as parts of constellations, people aren't born as INTP or ENFP or whatever. It's just people who classify them that way. People like the OP don't realize that and start fretting over who they are. It's like a star worrying about which constellation it belongs to. Kind of absurd, although confusing the map with the territory isn't anything new.

:)

P.S. I do say this is lots of threads... :ninja:

See, that makes sense.

If one were to actively and maliciously tear apart everything, then you would be a troll. But you seem benign enough.

At least... for now... :devil:

I got my eye on you. Lol.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Okay...phew. I actually did think of homosexuality and the whole "gay marriage" thing once you brought up INTP marriage; was that supposed to be a blatant allusion?

I can see the humor in this; it would possibly have even been funny if I knew you personally. It's just that I've encountered so many people with such moronic views that I find if simultaneously so simply and difficult to accept that one would hold such an opinion.

You just have to find the humor in the absurdity. Humans have a habit of taking themselves too seriously.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
You just have to find the humor in the absurdity. Humans have a habit of taking themselves too seriously.

It's a habit acquired because too often, people say absurd things that they really mean.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
It's a habit acquired because too often, people say absurd things that they really mean.

I don't know how anyone can see it as anything but funny. We create these social constructs, such as personality theory and sexual orientation, and we forget they have only the power we choose to give them. And then we question whether they are inherent or a choice? What the hell difference does it make? They are very simple ideas that we have created to label very complex aspects of ourselves.

But I like how Edahn said it better.