• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Am I a mis-typed INTP? Perhaps INFP (or something else?)

Pride

MBTI Type
INTP
I have thought with certainty for quite some time that I am an INTP, without doubt or question. However, recent developments in both my personal life and what I would identify as a growth of maturity both on an interpersonal and intrapersonal level has caused a slight shift in my overall perception of the external world, so to speak.

It is rather difficult to specify every exacting detail of what goes on in my mind, because it is (and has always been) a place of abstraction; dense, hazy, and often nebulous.

There are specific descriptions of Fi-traits or Fi-inspired traits that I have identified with. Whether this is because my Fi has been maturing, or whether I am actually a mistyped INFP has been nagging at the dark recesses of my mind.

Looking back to my own development from when I was a teenager until the current day (I am currently in my early 20's), I can still see, quite clearly, how I was rather repressed emotionally from middle to high school. During that period, I spent countless hours reading and researching various schools of thought be it theistic, philosophical, or simply spiritualist in nature in an attempt to better understand the world and my place within it. Sounds rather Fi-based, does it not?

As I grew in maturity, age, and crystallized knowledge/information, my personal bias for objectivity, logic, and rationality eventually became stronger and stronger, becoming the locus of my external relationship with both people and the world around me. I grew colder, more apathetic, and more confident with each passing season. I am not sure whether this is simply the natural development of my genetic predisposition/personality type [with external stimuli], or a reactive backlash against a world that I felt was both meaningless and uncaring. After all, where is the logic in trying to help others when the majority of the human species could not care less whether I live or die?

While I realize that those people who I have close emotional or biological ties would certainly be affected by my well-being, my logic and rationale for being essentially a heartless asshole to most people seemed rooted in objective, observable phenomenon. I fully admit that it is processed through my own subjective lens, and may be less objective than I see it however. With inductive reasoning, I felt that my justifications were strong enough for me to behave in such a way as to remain intellectually honest. There was simply no reason strong enough to compel me to act like a caring, selfless human being.

Let us go to the next point then, which is how I interacted with the external world and society despite my rather cynical outlook. I view (and still do) myself as more or less a "chameleon." I observe and analyze the behaviors, personalities, and preferences of individuals and groups and respond accordingly in order to achieve my desired outcome within the context of my relationship with said external individual/group. For example: I will suck-up to my professors in university if it means forming a closer relationship, with the intention of using that relationship to get a better grade in class. I will outright reject friendship if I find someone to be intellectually insufferable, without concern for their thoughts or feelings. I view to this day rationality and intellectual honestly as the highest principle to which I hold both myself and others to; if they do not meet or attempt to meet this criterion, then I usually see them as intellectually inferior, and not worthy of friendship (unless there is some other rationale, and it needs to be good; e.g. said individual will aid me into getting a certain job somewhere, etc).

I know everything I've stated up until now probably makes me look like a psychopath or sociopath in certain regards, but I highly doubt this to be true because emotions certainly do exist for me. I don't view emotions as unnecessary or even place them on the list of non-important psychological attributes, but rather it is my preference to separate emotion and logic; feeling and rationality. I do believe with all honestly that one's interpersonal and intrapersonal emotional stability & health are vital in maintaining a sense of tranquility and solidarity, and in this regard, I place quite a bit of emotional investment in those who I deem to be close friends. It is simply difficult for me to open up to people because my arrogance and lack of trust are extremely difficult barriers to break down, even for myself.

TL;DR: Pride is an asshole, who was depressed as a teenager, who then started to take solace in his intellectual capacity for reason, learning, critical thinking and information archiving, and developed a sense of arrogance and security within that internal system. As of now, he is so wrapped up in his preference for logic & rationality that he has a hard time making friends with people who do not have the capacity for strong critical thinking or behave in irrational ways. He is not sure whether his capacity for caring & the needs may be his original or natural state of being, and whether his preference for rationality & intellectual honestly are just defensive mechanisms to hide an original state of kindness and irrationality... (I am not sure what the original state might be; this is just an assumption)

What do you think, ladies and gentlemen? Do I "sound" like an INTP? Or maybe something else... (like an alien?)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
There are specific descriptions of Fi-traits or Fi-inspired traits that I have identified with. Whether this is because my Fi has been maturing, or whether I am actually a mistyped INFP has been nagging at the dark recesses of my mind.

If you could expand on which Fi traits you're referring to, that would help. As it is, there doesn't seem to be anything in your post that would indicate INTP is too far off; as your general antagonism towards the idea of emotional decision making is characteristic of Ti rejecting Fe and maintaining its separation.

For example, in cognitive process tests, a lot of Fi related questions are simply things like "Do you strive for personal happiness," which I believe any sensible person would agree with [especially Ji doms] so I think it's important to examine the particulars of why you relate to Fi descriptions.

gandalf

MBTI Type
INTJ
Indeed, it would be good to know more precisely about those traits you are assuming to be Fi-related.

In the meanwhile, not knowing them yet, I have another thought which is more an intuitive guess based on my own experience than a result of deep logical analysis your post... The chapter in which you write about being a "chameleon", you sound more like an INTJ than an INTP. I mean, the way you deal with your professors sounds to me quite INTJish. And, as you may know, Fi is the tertiary function for INTJs. Therefore, I wonder if it's not T-F but rather J-P preference that is not that certain in you.

I am basing this quessing on my own experience of myself. I typed myself first as an INTJ and a bit later realized that I have no preference for the last letter, meaning that I am an INTx. After that, I started as well wondering why I often found myself considering soft values far more than I thought a T should. So far, I am quite assured that my question was answered as a result of the cognitive functions test I took on the internet. That test basically told me that based on the strengths of my cognitive functions (which you can see in my signature), I am an INTx with the tertiary Fi of INTJ having developed practically equal to Ni and Ti. Or, to put it another way, I could be a miss-typed INFP as well, but for that, my Fe, being almost non-existing, is far too undeveloped.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Reading the OP I had the same hunch as Gandalf.

Pride

MBTI Type
INTP
I made this exact thread on another forum (not sure if I am allowed to link, but it's a forum dedicated to INTPs with a dark grey background).

Several posters there have stated that I may have INFJ tendencies or may be an INFJ with a stronger tertiary function (Ti) than secondary function (Fe).

Thoughts?

I am definitely an intuitive. While I understand both Ne and Ni, I still have a bit of a hard time pinpointing which one I use on a more consistent basis. I'm leaning toward Ne, because I tend to draw conclusions from external data and my mind works like clockwork in that regard - building and deconstructing the puzzles of possibility based on my observations and analyses.

On the other hand, I do tend to have "aha" moments - I attribute that to Ni - and it is afterwards, I will piece together that intuition with logic to see exactly how accurate or logical my "prediction" was.

gandalf

MBTI Type
INTJ
Based on your original post, I really don't think you are an F. You sound like a strong T. Furthermore, what you state about your emotional side, sound like Fi, not like Fe.

Also, what you told about your assumed use of Ne and Ni sound very familiar to me. I see myself (as an INTx) having kind of two separate modes of operation interchanging of which is somewhat consuming and thus can't be done too frequently (not many times in a discussion). In J mode, my functions are Ni-Te, and in P mode, they are Ti-Ne. The P mode is the information gathering mode just as you described and the J mode is the implementation mode during which I just trust me internal intuition, having those "aha" moments.

I am not a professional in these things but to me, you sound like me :) And that's why I'd say you are INTx instead of anything with an F preference.

Pride

MBTI Type
INTP
Thank you for your response. To be honest, I used to heavily identify with the INTP profile on virtually all accounts, but lately I've started to feel a certain "Judging" quality in my everyday affairs.

The only thing that might distinct me from say, a true INTJ (not sure if this is even a proper description of a "true INTJ"), is along the lines of when I stated that while I may be outwardly confident and may even act with 100% certainty, I am still usually questioning my own position internally, and no matter how confident I may be on the surface, there is always a web of possibilities within my mind.

There are other accounts and situations as well where I strongly "feel" disgusted or repulsed by things that are not in accordance with my opinion/bias of how they "should" be. I am quite certain this is a characteristic of a Judging quality.

Furthermore, I've read that Ti itself is a "Judging function." If anyone understands this more than I, please do explain further.

Lastly, I felt it might be important to describe a bit about how I experience emotions in general (I know Feeling function =/= emotion, but I'm not sure how else to express this). When I am reading, writing, observing, and analyzing everything, my emotions start to dwindle less and less until a moment when I almost feel like an emotionless person. I don't feel sadness, happiness, or anything. When I encounter something frustrating, joyful, or sad, my emotions seem to start bleeding out in a way that I cannot fully control or understand.

I have read about INTP's raw, almost child-like emotional outbursts and this is exactly what happens to me on regular basis (but not so much that I would consider myself psychologically unhealthy, of course). It's not just anger, but happiness and sadness as well. I'm just very good at hiding these feelings from people around me.

gandalf

MBTI Type
INTJ
The only thing that might distinct me from say, a true INTJ (not sure if this is even a proper description of a "true INTJ"), is along the lines of when I stated that while I may be outwardly confident and may even act with 100% certainty, I am still usually questioning my own position internally, and no matter how confident I may be on the surface, there is always a web of possibilities within my mind.

That's normal. INTJs often have this aura of infinite self-confidence but it doesn't mean they are internally absolutely sure about what they are doing. They do question themselves sometimes and they are open to ideas from others as long as those ideas are well (logically) argumented.

There are other accounts and situations as well where I strongly "feel" disgusted or repulsed by things that are not in accordance with my opinion/bias of how they "should" be. I am quite certain this is a characteristic of a Judging quality.

That sounds like how I experience my J mode. I observe something in the real world and my Ni takes it in for processing. If my Ni finds a connection to something I am already familiar with and my observation and my personal thoughts don't match, my Te will want to change the world to match my intuition and I will get that feeling of something not being as is should. If, on the other hand, my Ni finds no connection and I am not doing something important, I may change to P mode to see if the observation is something I should care about. If there is no connection and I do am doing something important, I will probably just dismiss the observation as it doesn't feel relevant (by intuition).

I don't know if you were actually wondering about it but I also think it's sometimes easy to get confused by what is intuition and what is feeling.

One more thing: I've read that Ti itself is a "Judging function." If anyone understands this more than I, please do explain further.

I suggest you do some self-study on the cognitive functions on the internet.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You do sound like a feeler to me. Thinkers don't really ever feel non-confident or uncared about, because they don't care about those things much. Most F's develop T-ish shells, because you can't function in the world acting like an F.

Have you ruled out ISFP? They've got tertiary Ni, which I vibe from you. They also seem to forsake their sensitivity more than even other feelers, to feel like can-do people.

Pride

MBTI Type
INTP
Definitely not an Sensor. Being an Intuitive is the one thing I can be completely sure of.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Definitely not an Sensor. Being an Intuitive is the one thing I can be completely sure of.

Ever read [MENTION=3325]Victor[/MENTION] 's posts?? They seem like pure unadulterated N, right?

Legend has it that he's an ISFP. Don't underestimate the power of the tertiary. It can be as strong as a dom function, especially if you're in a loop.

redacted

Thinkers don't really ever feel non-confident or uncared about, because they don't care about those things much.

Strongly disagree.

Pride, out of all the INxx types, you seem least likely to be INFP IMO. I don't think you're INFJ either; you seem to have too easy of a time asserting your personal preferences. I'd go with INTJ if I had to guess.

sculpting

I have thought with certainty for quite some time that I am an INTP, without doubt or question. However, recent developments in both my personal life and what I would identify as a growth of maturity both on an interpersonal and intrapersonal level has caused a slight shift in my overall perception of the external world, so to speak.

It is rather difficult to specify every exacting detail of what goes on in my mind, because it is (and has always been) a place of abstraction; dense, hazy, and often nebulous.

Looking back to my own development from when I was a teenager until the current day (I am currently in my early 20's), I can still see, quite clearly, how I was rather repressed emotionally from middle to high school. During that period, I spent countless hours reading and researching various schools of thought be it theistic, philosophical, or simply spiritualist in nature in an attempt to better understand the world and my place within it. Sounds rather Fi-based, does it not?

As I grew in maturity, age, and crystallized knowledge/information, Ti my personal bias for objectivity, logic, and rationality Ti eventually became stronger and stronger, becoming the locus of my external relationship with both people and the world around me. I grew colder, more apathetic, and more confident with each passing season. I am not sure whether this is simply the natural development of my genetic predisposition/personality type [with external stimuli], or a reactive backlash against a world that I felt was both meaningless and uncaring. After all, where is the logic in trying to help others when the majority of the human species could not care less whether I live or die?

While I realize that those people who I have close emotional or biological ties would certainly be affected by my well-being, my logic and rationale for being essentially a heartless asshole to most people seemed rooted in objective, observable phenomenon. I fully admit that it is processed through my own subjective lens, and may be less objective than I see it however. With inductive reasoning, I felt that my justifications were strong enough for me to behave in such a way as to remain intellectually honest. There was simply no reason strong enough to compel me to act like a caring, selfless human being.

Let us go to the next point then, which is how I interacted with the external world and society despite my rather cynical outlook. I view (and still do) myself as more or less a "chameleon." I observe and analyze the behaviors, personalities, and preferences of individuals and groups and respond accordingly in order to achieve my desired outcome within the context of my relationship with said external individual/group. Ti/Fe For example: I will suck-up to my professors in university if it means forming a closer relationship, with the intention of using that relationship to get a better grade in class. Total Fi FAIL-VERY unlikely in an INFPI will outright reject friendship if I find someone to be intellectually insufferable, without concern for their thoughts or feelings.LOLOLOL, Is this where all my INTP friends go??? I view to this day rationality and intellectual honestly as the highest principle to which I hold both myself and others to; if they do not meet or attempt to meet this criterion, then I usually see them as intellectually inferior, and not worthy of friendship LOLOLOL, Ti, but on a serious note-do you assume if you do not follow their intellectual argument, it is intellectual dishonest? Could it not be an alternate modes of analysis?(unless there is some other rationale, and it needs to be good; e.g. said individual will aid me into getting a certain job somewhere, etc).

I know everything I've stated up until now probably makes me look like a psychopath or sociopath in certain regards, but I highly doubt this to be true because emotions certainly do exist for me. I don't view emotions as unnecessary or even place them on the list of non-important psychological attributes, but rather it is my preference to separate emotion and logic; feeling and rationality. Sounds like wat I have heard entps say I do believe with all honestly that one's interpersonal and intrapersonal emotional stability & health are vital in maintaining a sense of tranquility and solidarity, and in this regard, I place quite a bit of emotional investment in those who I deem to be close friends. It is simply difficult for me to open up to people because my arrogance and lack of trust are extremely difficult barriers to break down, even for myself.

TL;DR: Pride is an asshole, who was depressed as a teenager, who then started to take solace in his intellectual capacity for reason, learning, critical thinking and information archiving, Ti and developed a sense of arrogance and security within that internal system. As of now, he is so wrapped up in his preference for logic & rationality that he has a hard time making friends with people who do not have the capacity for strong critical thinking or behave in irrational ways.Ti, LOLOL. He is not sure whether his capacity for caring & the needs may be his original or natural state of being, and whether his preference for rationality & intellectual honestly are just defensive mechanisms to hide an original state of kindness and irrationality... (I am not sure what the original state might be; this is just an assumption)

What do you think, ladies and gentlemen? Do I "sound" like an INTP? Or maybe something else... (like an alien?)

INTP, but of course just my 2c. Not an INTJ at all.