• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP and phobias

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
Is it just me, or do INTPs have a particular susceptibility to phobias? I personally have trypanophobia (more commonly known as "needle-phobia"). I think once our Si starts to develop, that combined with our Ti will allow us to vividly relive a past bad experience with a stimulus continually and due to our intense bodily awareness, find it particularly hard to avoid something from that bad experience turning into a phobia. My trypanophobia didn't develop until about 11 or 12 (probably about the time when Si started taking hold), and one bad experience with the dentist sent me into a phobia related to syringes. Whenever I need to do anything with them, I find it easy to relive the sensation I felt over and over again and because of the Ti, it's hard to psychologically let go.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
People
Rejection
Death
Losing a family member
Being ugly
Being stupid
Being untalented
Being forgotten
Being lonely
Leaving important items off lists

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know if its a true phobia but heights panic me because it feels like I'm loosing my balance/leaning forward and that spells "FALL." It feels that way without looking down.

I'm also kind of claustrophobic and that includes crowds or having my arms held down.

Group dynamics (not just net) disturb me... I don't trust them... too many hidden agendas that I don't sniff out as easily as some do. Its probably easier for more social types.

owarinoTenshi

MBTI Type
INTP
As for the usual stuff, heights and crawly stuff (bugs, snakes, etc) freak me out. I'm also kinda claustrophobic. As far as social things go, I'm absolutely terrified of approaching people for anything. I have a hard time just asking people questions (even store clerks and the like). I hate calling people on the phone for the first time. This makes dating a little hard. Public speaking, actually, isn't that much of a phobia for me.
I always get pretty nervous while I'm doing it, but I often like it at the same time, usually if I feel comfortable that I know what I'm talking about, and thus I don't actively fear it or avoid it.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I blame my childish Si as well. I have an incredible fear of being stabbed in the eye and find it hard looking at some things like pencils, knives even cartoon barbed wire on TV makes me cringe.

I also have the fear that if I think about it enough I could give myself a heart attack. I lie awake at night trying not to think about it. And of course trying not to think of something is the same as dwelling on it.

I can't get stoned any more because it so paralyses me in introversion between Ti and Si that I panic the hell out and only when trying to clasp onto Ne do I recover.

suzyk

MBTI Type
INTP
I used to have a phobia of elevators, but it's passed. I still have insectophobia, though. I freak when there's a fly in the house, and I start cleaning the furniture like mad.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Phobias are a function of classical conditioning, not personality or temperament. This topic is in error

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Is it just me, or do INTPs have a particular susceptibility to phobias? I personally have trypanophobia (more commonly known as "needle-phobia"). I think once our Si starts to develop, that combined with our Ti will allow us to vividly relive a past bad experience with a stimulus continually and due to our intense bodily awareness, find it particularly hard to avoid something from that bad experience turning into a phobia. My trypanophobia didn't develop until about 11 or 12 (probably about the time when Si started taking hold), and one bad experience with the dentist sent me into a phobia related to syringes. Whenever I need to do anything with them, I find it easy to relive the sensation I felt over and over again and because of the Ti, it's hard to psychologically let go.

Nope, no phobias here, and very low anxiety generally. In particular, with needles, I quite like watching it done, in fact (eg when I had a blood test on Tuesday).

I also am not sure that I agree INTPs have "intense bodily awareness"... more likely to bump into something, not realise a shirt isn't done up etc etc....? Think bodily awareness will be an SP.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Guys, there is a difference between being scared, having anxiety and a phobia. It is not really a phobia unless you have had a full blown panic attack.

I personally have trypanophobia (more commonly known as "needle-phobia").

Me too, although my fear also had some rational basis, since I have a history of having immunological reactions to immunizations.

My (INTP) father has been known to faint afterwards on rare occasions. The first time I fainted afterwards, I did not understand why, I felt slightly better when I was told that I was not the only one in the family.

But I need to have blood tests occasionally, leading to the issue...

I think the reason why I only ever fainted afterwards was because I was unwilling to 'let go' until afterwards.

Anyway, the key is not to be afraid of the consequences - you don't want a fear of a fear. Secondly, I found it was best to lie to myself - just don't think about it - it was not going to happen before - not happening during - didn't happen after. After a while I no longer have the fear of the fear - I still don't like it, but it is no longer so problematic.

disTant_eCHo

MBTI Type
INTP
I blame my childish Si as well. I have an incredible fear of being stabbed in the eye and find it hard looking at some things like pencils, knives even cartoon barbed wire on TV makes me cringe.

I also have the fear that if I think about it enough I could give myself a heart attack. I lie awake at night trying not to think about it. And of course trying not to think of something is the same as dwelling on it.

I can't get stoned any more because it so paralyses me in introversion between Ti and Si that I panic the hell out and only when trying to clasp onto Ne do I recover.
I was stabbed in the eye with a screwdriver by my best friend one time.

We're still good pals.

I don't really have any phobias other than needles. Heights don't bother me, I'm not claustrophobic or anything.. I just get really lightheaded when I have to get an injection. Almost 10 years ago, everybody in my school district had to submit to a meningitis shot; that's the only innoculation that I ever fainted from.

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
Phobias are a function of classical conditioning, not personality or temperament. This topic is in error

Phobias are triggered by conditioning. I'm not disputing that. I'm not saying personality is the root, I'm saying personality has some relevance to the likelihood of development of a phobia. Obviously, it also relies on several other complicated factors.

MerkW

I still do not know whether I am INTJ or INTP, but regardless, here is a list of all phobias I currently have or have had in the past (yes, there are quite a few of them):

1. Mild (noteworthy, yet can generally be tolerated)
- Coulrophobia
- Equinophobia
- Pediophobia
- Glossophobia

2. Moderate (stronger than mild, yet not severe enough for psychological help to be necessary)
- Algophobia
- Hemophobia
- Enochlopobia
- Trypanophobia

3. Severe (may interfere with daily activity. Psychological help may be necessary)
- Agoraphobia
- Anthropophobia
- Heliophobia
- Mysophobia*
- Nosophobia*
- Tetraphobia*

NOTE: The phobias above listed in italics, and specifically the last three indicated by a *, are perhaps more accurately described as symptoms of my OCD rather than individually-standing, unrelated phobias

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I have a bad blood/injury/injection phobia. Although, this is probably rooted in the few bloody injuries I had when I was very young (3-5 years old) coupled with dragging the issue back up to the surface when I was 14 with the Clockwork Orange-style conditioning I went through to pass biology class.

Anything I hear gives me a vivid visual in my head, and because instead of actually learning biology and health in biology and health class, all the teachers would talk about were traumatic sports injuries, I managed to give the conditioning to myself. I was, curiously enough, the only one bothered by these teacher's descriptions of sports injuries to actually pass out a few times.

And I'm seriously fucked up for it. But then again, perhaps I shouldn't have posted; I'm INTJ.

Judous

MBTI Type
INTP
INTP's are prone to phobia's?

This is news to me. I would think being able to rationally examine yourself would leave no room for that.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
INTP's are prone to phobia's?

This is news to me. I would think being able to rationally examine yourself would leave no room for that.

You'd think so. You'd think J types would be more prone to it (introverted irrational functions).