• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Will A Paradigm Shift Effect MBTI %?

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I have always been suspect as to the breakdown of percentages in type. I have no reason to believe that at best there is a 6.25% across the board. Furthermore, there is no empirical evidence to support Myers-Briggs or Keirsey

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have always been suspect as to the breakdown of percentages in type. I have no reason to believe that at best there is a 6.25% across the board. Furthermore, there is no empirical evidence to support Myers-Briggs or Keirsey

There is no percentages. Though I do believe that function order is valid, the higher up the function the more firmly its roots are seated in the unconscious mind. The multiple choice MBTI test cant make that assessment, you have to do a thorough study of temperament to see which of your attributes are salient.

Here is how the break down should be provided that the test would reflect accurate insights.

ISTP

Thinking 80% Feeling 20%
Introversion 70% Extroversion 30%
Sensing 60% Intuition 40%
Perceiving 55% Judging 45%

There is no empirical evidence for typology because it is rooted in the unconscious mind.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I am referring to percentages based on population of type, not an individuals type functions.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am referring to percentages based on population of type, not an individuals type functions.

Did you see ptGatsby's reference a month ago or so? He linked to one of the statistical online charts that broke things down for m/f/combined for all types and seemed to show a more reasonable balance than the seemingly erroneous ones based on the

- E75/I25
- S75/N25
- T50/F50
- J50/P50

split. I'll post it here if I happen to find it first.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Did you see ptGatsby's reference a month ago or so? He linked to one of the statistical online charts that broke things down for m/f/combined for all types and seemed to show a more reasonable balance than the seemingly erroneous ones based on the

- E75/I25
- S75/N25
- T50/F50
- J50/P50

Whats wrong with the primary... auxiliary... tertiary... function labels that Jung assigned in the first place?

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Online tests are skewed based on a number of factors, foremost is the fact that primarily Introverted iNtuitive types are online and likely to be interested in their type, while Extroverted Sensor types are far less likely to be online, and less interested. Therefore, online, as far as I've seen, my type, which is very rare in my country, is very common online. ISTJs are also reasonably common, but you seldom see them doing much writing or otherwise contributing, because they tend to maintain things behind the scenes.

However, I've wondered whether a change in needs and attitudes in the society might change the numbers of each type. You don't need 25 doctors, 30 engineers, and 35 scientists per 100 population. Right now, our economy in the US is highly biased toward ESXX types, particularly ESXJ, and it always has been SJ-oriented, but the E is new, and reflects our new interest in "people skills" and our "services economy", which means there is a distinct preference for Extroverts.

Will that mean we have more in the future? Who knows.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe

- E75/I25
- S75/N25
- T50/F50
- J50/P50

Thanks Fortunato. I will try to find it. I agree with all of the correlations referenced above, however wonder whether the S/N is can be skewed by cultural biases at the moment, creating a 50/50 split as well.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
However, I've wondered whether a change in needs and attitudes in the society might change the numbers of each type. You don't need 25 doctors, 30 engineers, and 35 scientists per 100 population. Right now, our economy in the US is highly biased toward ESXX types, particularly ESXJ, and it always has been SJ-oriented, but the E is new, and reflects our new interest in "people skills" and our "services economy", which means there is a distinct preference for Extroverts.

Will that mean we have more in the future? Who knows.
We're on the same page Wolf. Yet with the age of the computer, high oil prices, downsizing, continued manufacturing jobs being outsourced, etc., I think it will change the dynamics of work, making telecommuting the norm, thus skewing the E/I and S/N, at least from a superficial viewpoint. Just a thought.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
? said:
Thanks Fortunato. I will have to review the information closely.

Here is the original attachment (PDF) describing potential selection bias for the CAPT.ORG numbers -- might be useful for you to look at as well.

Sorry, don't meant to overwhelm you with links here, but I figured the probable selection bias is important for interpreting the results...

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Here is the original attachment (PDF) describing potential selection bias for the CAPT.ORG numbers -- might be useful for you to look at as well.

Sorry, don't meant to overwhelm you with links here, but I figured the probable selection bias is important for interpreting the results...
Thanks Fortunato. I guess to preclude biasness, specific questions as to the reason a person preferred a particular dichotomy over the other cannot be asked. This is where my inquiry is leading. Why? Are the answers truly a result of how the person sees themself? How much of a margin is given for error with people who cannot distinguish their true selves from roles (a definite problem with many extraverted types)? If there is a problem in detaching from role playing, would not the prevailing industries of that time period come into play (i.e., not only am I a J, but because I also resonate with a certain industry such as banking, ergo I prefer sensor and judging).

BTW, I made a post on the MBTI vs Step II thread, for you. Since you and Pgatsby seem quite familar with adminstering the assessment, maybe you guys can help me.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
BTW, I made a post on the MBTI vs Step II thread, for you. Since you and Pgatsby seem quite familar with adminstering the assessment, maybe you guys can help me.

FWIW, I didn't answer because I don't see things from just the MBTI lens. If I was to answer, I'd say that you captured one of the flaws in MBTI (the requirement for absolute functions/traits)... it's not so different than what you are exploring in this thread.

So... uhh... I agree with you, I guess... least, in the big picture I do. :D I just don't have anything worthwhile to add.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Thanks Pgats. I guess my concerns surround many of the stereotypes. In particularly for ISTP, Myers-Briggs offers only a brief statement that alludes to a non-techncial ISTP type that are highly creating order out of chaos, have good organizational abilities, enjoys troubleshooting (non-technical), does not have to be constantly active, abhors their temperament cousins. I wished I could get some definitive answers to those questions.

I seem to equally prefer SP/NT. I know that I am not INTP, and quite sure that I am not INTJ. INJs seem highly conceptual, which I connote as being able to create from an abstract and internal gut feeling. I can create, however must have at least a basic principle to start. Where INJs conceptualize, I think think I analyze.

I continue to think that ISTPs and INTJs have a great deal in common with their need to apply any information they learn. If it cannot be applied, then it's not worth learning.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
With ISTP and INTP, their dominant function is Ti, they are both adept at analyzing and categorizing. More than any other function, it is the Ti function that is probably good at math, problem solving, and other logical subjects. The Se auxiliary is action oriented, since it's Extraverted. Hence, well-developed Se will relate their inner logic to the current problem at hand -- making Se more suited for engineering, repair work, etc.

On the other hand Ti aided by Ne will also have logical problem solving abilities. But the Ne will relate the Ti logic to what is possible in the outside world. The analytical Ti logic will finely tune the imaginative Ne conception, making INTP more adept at such fields as architecture or philosophy.

Now aside from ISTPs and INTPs being logical and scientifically oriented like the NT temperament, the ISTP also has a tertiary Ni function, which means that they probably won't be as against the world of theory and imaginative constructs as one might think -- as in "?"'s case! ;)

Likewise, the INTP has a tertiary Si function, which could often make them resistant to change and enjoy habits more than their P preference might suggest. A tertiary Si would lead the INTP to have a better memory for and interest in detailed facts. This is probably the source of the INTP's tendency to gather useless trivia and take things literally.

I can also see a connection with developed ISTPs and INTJs as "?" alluded us to. True, by definition, the ISTP is more physically oriented and lives in the moment. The INTJ could also be quite adept in sensory activities, but I think the difference in the two lies in that the ISTP is more involved in the here-and-now experience and in the enjoyment of living in the moment -- the rush, if you will.

The INTJ is probably not as interested in the experience itself as much as the prospect of winning; as Intuitive Judgers, their eyes are on the prize and the big picture.