• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs with strong feelings

rav3n

When INTJs talk about being emotionless or others talking about INTJs as emotionless, it surprises me. If you remove a very thin veneer, they're softies inside.

Nicodemus

If you remove a very thin veneer, they're softies inside.

SuperStock_1829-2807.jpg

By courtesy of Ragingkatsuki.

sceadugenga

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'd advise not to numb your emotions, but to transform them into a usable state. For example, accepting your feelings towards the hurt and dying in order to use your feelings as motivation for providing the highest quality of care you are capable of; that is, using the sadness as a reason for kindness towards them, which will in itself provide greater alleviation than coldness.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
When INTJs talk about being emotionless or others talking about INTJs as emotionless, it surprises me. If you remove a very thin veneer, they're softies inside.

Magic Shell on soft serve ice cream. That's what I hear.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Mmmm...I love to eat Magic Shell....OM NOM NOM NOM

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Low blood sugar. When I'm exhausted or hypoglycemic, I notice having feelings too - namely, impatience.

Did you get checked for diabetes recently? It's not something that just the elderly get anymore.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Low blood sugar. When I'm exhausted or hypoglycemic, I notice having feelings too - namely, impatience.

Did you get checked for diabetes recently? It's not something that just the elderly get anymore.

Hypoglycemia makes people snippy, impatient, hostile, or they might start to feel faint. It doesn't make you cry over animal abuse prevention commercials.

People usually get diabetes if they aren't elderly because their diet is shit.

Let the poor INTJ have his Fi.

*noms on Magic Shell*

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Hypoglycemia makes people snippy, impatient, hostile, or they might start to feel faint. It doesn't make you cry over animal abuse prevention commercials

Dang, I might have that.

Actually...I do have that. :doh:

As for Mr INTJ OP - my ISTJ friend is having her second renaissance with her Fi coming out in full force. Your age seems kinda young for Fi to be rearing its head now, but your stressful work situation might be bringing it on as well.

I think it's going to get worse before it gets better. And I agree with folks here who have said "don't try to numb yourself, cut off your emotions, or rationalize them away". Dealing with emergent feeling is like discovering a new sense - it will be bewildering, even scary for a while and you'll have to fumble around to find a way to make sense of it and fit it into your existing arsenal of cognitive functions. Cut yourself some slack and promise that you will not heap retribution upon yourself with hindsight. Perhaps keep a journal to keep track of triggers and find patterns in what you are feeling.

Finally, having said all that - your line of work sounds like it's not for everyone. Even though I have palpably strong Fi and really feel a need to be of service and to right injustices, I decided NOT to go into certain fields because I can't handle it. My issue isn't just necessarily emotional response it's that I end up empathizing so closely with people I need to be advocating for that I get sucked down into the pain instead of being pushed to fight and rectify issues.

Practically speaking what helps is to transmute any pain you feel or recognize in others and turn it into anger against [list evil of the day here] or just general motivation to help them in some way. And feel good knowing that you made someone's day - it will be that much sweeter because you know how low you know they normally feel or how dire their situation is.

In your kind of situation, it's important to keep feeling empowered and capable and even to let seemingly helpless people help you. Once you start getting dragged down by sadness or seeming futility or believing in the effeteness and inherent weakness in others - you're screwed. Time to find a new job at that point.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
As for Mr INTJ OP - my ISTJ friend is having her second renaissance with her Fi coming out in full force. Your age seems kinda young for Fi to be rearing its head now, but your stressful work situation might be bringing it on as well.

This is another good point. I know someone who was going through a depression because of various losses all at once and thought themselves ISFJ when they first got into MBTI instead of ISTJ because of it, though they had apparently showed consistent ISTJ patterns more than ISFJ.

The person is an ISTJ, and they have a Magic Shell of their own, just in a different flavor (INTJs are dark chocolate and ISTJs are more like caramel).

rav3n

This is another good point. I know someone who was going through a depression because of various losses all at once and thought themselves ISFJ when they first got into MBTI instead of ISTJ because of it, though they had apparently showed consistent ISTJ patterns more than ISFJ.

The person is an ISTJ, and they have a Magic Shell of their own, just in a different flavor (INTJs are dark chocolate and ISTJs are more like caramel).
The ex-ISTJ was more like milk chocolate in that he wasn't too sweet and didn't stick to your teeth when bitten into!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The ex-ISTJ was more like milk chocolate in that he wasn't too sweet and didn't stick to your teeth when bitten into!

Hmmm...perhaps milk chocolate is more apt...they aren't as dark as INTJs but caramel might be too sweet. I know ISTJs definitely aren't cupcake flavor. :laugh:

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Caramel and chocolate shells, eh? Whatever. I just know the shell beholders like to be licked and sucked...especially the ones with cherries on top.

/perv