• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Socially comfortable INTPs

Bamboozle

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't necessarily mean INTPs who are socially adept (although I'm interested in them, too) but INTPs are fine with expressing themselves in social situations. What do they look like?

There's this INTP who is perfectly fine with…well, being an INTP, I suppose. She gives her own idiosyncratic names to things and uses them in conversation. If you don't know what the hell she's talking about she just leads you along until you figure it out. She's fallen asleep at conferences; she has commented loudly on things in conferences ('This isn't an agony aunt column!') and then gone to sleep. And she gets away with it! She's well-respected in her field. In short, she sounds kind of awesome to me. Indeed, I hope to be as comfortable as she is in doing her own thing one day!

What do you guys do? Or what have you seen other INTPs do?

Zither Keys

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Two of my best friends are INTP's. One is a guy and the other a girl. The person whom you are describing above could be a twin to my INTP girl friend. Yes, sometimes they can be a bit socially awkward, and I lol when I think about it, but it's amusing and even "cute" sometimes. They are eccentric in their own ways and will make people scratch their heads without even realizing what they just did. I enjoy having humorous conversations with INTP's. They may be the "stoner" intellectuals of the bunch, but I think they are also the comedians (and just like everything else, they are oblvious to that too ;)

Bamboozle

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Haha, yes. Apparently even this INTP I was talking about comes off as exceedingly quiet in other spaces (and that was an observation from an exceedingly introverted INTJ).

It's funny because you seem to have a similar reaction to INTPs that my INTJ friend does! At the moment, this INTJ is trying to work their relationship into a friendship by geeking out with them every so often, heh.

What does the INTP girl do, by the way? I'm really happy to read anecdotes, by the way. But there's no pressure. I'm just interested at the moment because I'm trying to figure out a model of behaviour for myself, I think.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm just interested at the moment because I'm trying to figure out a model of behaviour for myself, I think.

Man, this is not a good thing to do! Do what comes naturally, and be yourself, don't try to mimic similar people's behaviors!

Edit: realizing this is harder for some people than others, I like the "fake it 'til you make it" approach. You can pretend to be comfortable with yourself in social situations, and eventually, you actually will be.

Bamboozle

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Haha, yes. I probably shouldn't have said 'model'. I think I'm interested in what kinds of social scripts INTPs get away with breaking. I thought it would make for funny anecdotes!

I appreciate the "fake it 'til you make it" edit, too, heh.

G

Glycerine

They seem lively, crack a lot of jokes/make light-hearted commentary here and there, engaged in the other people around them but when they need to get away, they fade away into the background or slyly escape the group. I am talking about the experience of being around 3 males and 1 female INTP. I would just say, "relax" and be yourself and get away when you need to. :) Mimicking behavior can come off rigid and awkward. Also the INTPs I knew didn't seem to take themselves "too seriously" so they fit into the group just fine.

EDIT: They took on the "funny critic" role.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
Many INTPs have well developed senses of humor - I'd say that is the fastest way to get comfortable in a group and have a group get comfortable with you.

Bamboozle

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Haha, they always say that about INTPs. I've only ever encountered very quiet INTPs, actually. They all (me included, I think) just laugh to themselves a lot! They mostly just seem to talk when an idea comes around, then they either slip something into the conversation or kind of light up and talk a great deal.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
EDIT: They took on the "funny critic" role.

Thats me, but i also got funny ideas that make no sense, like "hey if we all would lye on oven, it would cool down slower, making the dinner cook bit faster", while drooling at the food infront of oven

Pride

MBTI Type
INTP
I like to make morbid jokes and point out logical inconsistencies in peoples' arguments and comments.

I really just don't care. I am comfortable and confident in my own intellect and knowledge to not really care what other people think about me. Being right most of the time also helps.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I play around with people's heads. That makes me interested and comfortable.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Like rolling them around between your forearms and stuff?

This is a joke, yes?

No, I play around people's assumptions and expectations..like pretending to know a random person, interjecting a random group conversation, freakishly eyeing the person i'm talking to..etc...

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, I was just joking around. Playing around with expectations, assumptions and all that...

That's actually quite different. Yours counters one perspective with another perspective(Ni). Mine counters one perspective with reality.(Ne)