• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Degree = intelligence?

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Just curious about how everyone here in the NT section views the importance of a university education.

So...if you met someone who hasn't gotten a university degree by, say, age 40 would you think less of them? Would there be a moment where you might consider them to be less intelligent regardless of whether this was the truth or not?

What does a university education mean to you when it comes to your own worth or the worth of another individual?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It would depend upon what else they have done with their life. If there evidence of ongoing learning and personal growth, I would not automatically consider them to be less intelligent for not having a university degree. There are many ways to develop and make use of one's intelligence.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
So...if you met someone who hasn't gotten a university degree by, say, age 40 would you think less of them?

On a base level I would not think less of them.
But for those who were not able to pursue their dreams because they needed a degree and never got one, well..

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I’ve always thought good a real world measure of intelligence is how someone deals with the obstacles that block their dreams, the scope of understanding the problem, and the speed with which they come to these understanding and possible solutions. So no I wouldn’t instantly dismiss anyone for that. But I’m also not particularly known for asking 40 year olds whether they have degrees or not, so limited experience and all that

Within

Permabanned
I’ve always thought good a real world measure of intelligence is how someone deals with the obstacles that block their dreams, the scope of understanding the problem, and the speed with which they come to these understanding and possible solutions.

QFT. Education is important and all should strive for it, does not however serve as a measurement tool of ones intellect. Merely points out ones priorities which reflects on how much I would come to respect/admire someone. So yes, it would have an impact on me.

Lucas

MBTI Type
INTP
Not really. My father only finished his bachelors at 40, and he just recently got a PHD at 62. If there is evidence of desire and pursuit of learning, then it doesn't really matter whether you were formally educated.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
There are a number of reasons I might consider someone intelligent. Having completed a higher or fairly difficult degree is one of them. I also respect people who are wise and insightful and have interesting things to say, degree or no degree. Formal education is hardly the only way you can acquire these traits. There are also plenty of people who get a degree just to enter a certain field, or just because they are expected to, and have no real interest in pursuing knowledge or exploring ideas aside from that. I do have a university degree, but I've also done plenty of learning and thinking outside of my time in school.

So, generally higher education is something I respect...but it's far from the only reason I'd respect someone's intellect.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
Just curious about how everyone here in the NT section views the importance of a university education.

So...if you met someone who hasn't gotten a university degree by, say, age 40 would you think less of them? Would there be a moment where you might consider them to be less intelligent regardless of whether this was the truth or not?

What does a university education mean to you when it comes to your own worth or the worth of another individual?

There is alot of variables with this question. I know some people who don't have degrees and I don't think less of them. They have a chosen profession that doesn't require one and demonstrate a high level of competency in that profession and are otherwise demonstrably intelligent, well read, and thoughtful. On the other hand there are some people who don't whom I DO think less of - they typically should have a degree but don't have the persistence or the simple appetite for the work involved (your basic slacker).

My regard for education is very high and all things being equal (though they rarely are) I would generally speaking regard somebody more highly if they did have a degree. But that is a very general principal and there are many exceptions.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
On a base level I would not think less of them.
But for those who were not able to pursue their dreams because they needed a degree and never got one, well..

I’ve always thought good a real world measure of intelligence is how someone deals with the obstacles that block their dreams

How about if you came across someone who gave up their dreams for an education? Would the same line of thinking apply?

Clarification: I'm not insinuating anything of your responses, just asking a question spurred on by them.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Not having a degree tells me more about a person than if they have a degree. Of course, the information that gives me is generally negative.

And yes, I think less of them and I don't really associate with people that don't have degrees. Except you guys, obviously.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
No.

Nada.
Street smarts > Book smarts.
Nothing beats simple common sense.

Hmm... I do hope you don't plan on picking a heart surgeon on that basis. Of course there is the implication that if you are book smart you can't be street smart. I'd suggest that the former does not in anyway preclude the later.

"When someone says "I'm not book smart, I'm street smart." All I hear is "I'm not real smart, I'm imaginary smart."

T

ThatGirl

Not having a degree tells me more about a person than if they have a degree. Of course, the information that gives me is generally negative.

And yes, I think less of them and I don't really associate with people that don't have degrees. Except you guys, obviously.

I can't tell if you're serious.

To answer the op, I have known dumb people who got dumb degrees, in order to obtain dumb careers, that put them back to square one in deciding the course of their lives.

uncommonentity

Hmm... I do hope you don't plan on picking a heart surgeon on that basis. Of course there is the implication that if you are book smart you can't be street smart. I'd suggest that the former does not in anyway preclude the later.

"When someone says "I'm not book smart, I'm street smart." All I hear is "I'm not real smart, I'm imaginary smart."

I understand your viewpoint here but to me what's the point in knowing everything and being qualified in everything if you lack the sense to put it to use. I value uneducated home owners higher than educated bums. I know plenty 'real smart' people who suck at life and 'imaginary smart' mansion owners. Each to their own.

I'm sure there have been a couple of shitty heart surgeons too.

The post below me VV sums up my thoughts on the issue.

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Degrees are overpriced pieces of toilet tissue. Yes education is important, but it is not necessarily how one gets the education, but that they get it and use it to it's fullest potential.
Nope.
Nothing. I attend university solely because my chances of getting the income I want are greatly increased; I learn more on my own than I do in class.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
Degrees are overpriced pieces of toilet tissue. Yes education is important, but it is not nesaccarily how one got that education, but that they got it and are using it to it's fullest potential.

If that is the case isn't more accurate to say that degrees can be overpriced pieces of toilet tissue? If one has one and one is using it "to it's fullest potential" it is hardly toilet tissue and as to overpriced? To be sure that would depend on both the price and its potential but clearly as you get more out of it, the more valuable it becomes and the higher price one might be willing to pay for it.

Now one can have a practical education or even a bundle of misc. university credits and possibly use that to its fulleset potential. However, there is an aspect to an actual credentile that can not be overlooked - its the demonstrated ability to manage one's time, do that which one may not be all that enthusiastic about and actually complete a project.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
Degree level, Average IQ

MD or PhD, 125
Undergrad, 115
1-3 yrs college, 105-110
High school, 100
1-3 yrs high schoo,l 95
Elementary school grad, 90
Elementary dropout, 80-85

Per wikipedia. You can decide whether or not IQ is a good enough measure of 'intelligence.' While a degree does not necessarily equate to intelligence, there seems to be a correlation.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I ask, have you ever been in a college class? There are a bunch of idiots in those tuition-ed rooms. Me included. A degree doesn't tell me anything more than you have endurance. For all I know, you cheated those four or so years - or worse, barely passed trying your best. Now, keep this within reason, because I'm talking about a Bachelors degree. The American education system weeds out bums at a certain point, whether financially or mentally, and PhD are telling. But have you ever had a dentist who ruined your teeth? Yeah, exactly.

MBTI Type
ESFJ
If that is the case isn't more accurate to say that degrees can be overpriced pieces of toilet tissue? If one has one and one is using it "to it's fullest potential" it is hardly toilet tissue and as to overpriced? To be sure that would depend on both the price and its potential but clearly as you get more out of it, the more valuable it becomes and the higher price one might be willing to pay for it.
No, because this is a subjective question. If I'd been answering objectively, then it could be said that degrees can be overpriced.

However, there is an aspect to an actual credentile that can not be overlooked - its the demonstrated ability to manage one's time, do that which one may not be all that enthusiastic about and actually complete a project.
Maybe for yourself it cannot be overlooked, but as I quite clearly stated in the above, it (concerning myself) can and is overlooked.

A degree doesn't tell me anything more than you have endurance. For all I know, you cheated those four or so years - or worse, barely passed trying your best. Now, keep this within reason, because I'm talking about a Bachelors degree. The American education system weeds out bums at a certain point, whether financially or mentally, and PhD are telling. But have you ever had a dentist who ruined your teeth? Yeah, exactly.
This, which is pretty useless in my mind and lets not forget the doctors who have severely botched surgeries. Going off that, anyone remember the doctor who faked his credentials and got away with actually practicing medicine?