• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Would an NT ever admit (s)he's of average intelligence?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One question. Why are some non-NTs so fixated on NTs and their intelligence?

I'm personally fascinated with (supposed) NT's who appear to be genuinely intelligent. (Well, that was a mouthful, trying to avoid too much assumption. :laugh:) They have quite different thought processes and communication than what I'm used to seeing and dealing with.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
You don't know if they are NTs and are guessing at this. So how would your theory about NTs hold up if one to all aren't NTs? If they are NTs why are there so many being hired? Statistically the number of NTs that surround you don't correlate to the MBTI statistics. Is it possible that you've latched onto an attitude that dislikes certain behaviours which you then attach the NT label to?

Exactly. It's like people who type all controlling, inflexible authority figures as SJs, which just reinforces their idea that SJs are insufferable, which makes them even more likely to type any controlling, inflexible authority figure as an SJ. It's a self-propagating thing.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lots of envy and hostility coming through there.

Remotely "chill"? Well I suppose one qualification for hiring is "who would you rather have a beer with" but that hasn't worked out so well in the (recent) past. And many NTs are actually reasonably laid back. Error in sampling?

"even the people whose paychecks I sign, lol" - oh those stupid old NTs: see, I'm really better than they are.

"I'm not jealous of their delusions" - nah, see its a delusion; they really aren't smart. Interesting how one organization has accumulated a stable of not very bright NTs - statistically unlikely but hey, anything is possible. I’d have a chat with the HR department; something appears amiss in the hiring process.

Yea, especially before coming here, (and even now) I thought of NT's as this group of cool headed, detached, unassuming, cool, broad thinking folks. I don't think of them as being full of this intelligence dogma and angst unless they are very unhealthy. (And even then, the one's that I think that I've witnessed in real life with the angst have an issue with something else unrelated to intelligence, like interpersonal relationships. A problem with detachment vs. attachment. A whole different topic though. )

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yea, especially before coming here, (and even now) I thought of NT's as this group of cool headed, detached, unassuming, cool, broad thinking folks.

That's just INTPs. The other three types are total assholes. ;)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's just INTPs. The other three types are total assholes. ;)

Aye, thinking they're all high and mighty, they got nothing on us!

....*cough* ahem... *rapidly starts blinking to divert attention away from obvious contradictions.*

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So why have you hired or retained NTs?

Because they're good at the work. They're NOT so good at interacting with each other - which means chaos. They all want to take on a project their OWN way and bitch at everyone else about how they're stupid/inefficient. This slows things down a lot, especially when they decide to take it upon themselves to do it their own way - this causes redundancy and often, redundant errors.

However, that's the only issue I have with them, and the measures I've taken have drastically improved this. However, the problem still crops up, usually at the worst times possible. :doh: I think in those times, stakes are high and they want to outshine each other, and disaster ensues. Other than that, they're reliable, intelligent, hard-workers. That's why they're still on board.

Two problems. You don't know if they are NTs and are guessing at this. So how would your theory about NTs hold up if one to all aren't NTs? If they are NTs why are there so many being hired? Statistically the number of NTs that surround you don't correlate to the MBTI statistics. Is it possible that you've latched onto an attitude that dislikes certain behaviours which you then attach the NT label to?

I actually try not to type based on faults. Just working with them for a year and a half, I've figured out what "gets through" to them the most. I notice a lot of Ti, Ne, Te and Ni. Not much S or F at all. Part of this could be the nature of the job (I'm in tech), but I noticed this with them even outside the realm of work.

Once again, more NTs. Why and how do you find them all?

Well, with all of my friends, there's bound to be NTs. A lot of my hobbies puts me into contact with people who display many of the aforementioned (positive/neutral) NT traits. Most of my friends are NOT NTs, which makes sense due to statistics. I tend to have deeper, but less frequent contact with the NTs, as opposed to going out drinking with the same group of SJs every weekend.

We both know this isn't an accurate perception of how you view individuals externally, as it relates to yourself. While it's good that you're moving towards this perspective and deserve a pat on the back for doing so, you're also a competitive and envious individual.

I don't really see myself as competitive. Envious, I'm not going to lie. Yes. But that's not what brought me to create this thread either. It's just something I couldn't help but notice - and I got some good explanations for it earlier in the thread (when it wasn't in the "Castrate MrCockburn Phase").

For example, if someone wondered why ESFPs seem to be histrionic, I'd be able to understand how they'd think that. And if I disagreed, I'd simply state why their perception was inaccurate.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Lots of envy and hostility coming through there.

That's your interpretation.

Remotely "chill"? Well I suppose one qualification for hiring is "who would you rather have a beer with" but that hasn't worked out so well in the (recent) past. And many NTs are actually reasonably laid back. Error in sampling?

That's not what I meant - I meant "chill" as in being able to cooperate with others and not cause a hold-up in production due to the failure to do so. Or alienating other excellent workers. Last summer I had a new girl there, absolutely brilliant at her job. Well, she was timid and had the "audacity" to suggest a way to approach a client's project. They ended up all cornering her in the conference room, completely attacking her personally and making a total laughingstock out of her and her idea. She ended up in tears inside my office, giving me her 2 week notice.

That is what I mean by not chill. When I posed her idea to the client, he loved it. :shrug:

And yes, many NTs are laid back. Like I said, I'm friends with some of them.

"even the people whose paychecks I sign, lol" - oh those stupid old NTs: see, I'm really better than they are.

Ahem, words in my mouth much? No, what I meant to imply was the absurdity of their belief (that they'd be totally capable of ruling the world, and heh! Who needs the stupid mortals) when I'm giving them their rent money. They're all older than me, btw. With college degrees. (I'm still in college).

"I'm not jealous of their delusions" - nah, see its a delusion; they really aren't smart. Interesting how one organization has accumulated a stable of not very bright NTs - statistically unlikely but hey, anything is possible. I’d have a chat with the HR department; something appears amiss in the hiring process.

They're smart, but they're not superior to every other human on the planet. That's where the delusion lies.

I'm done with this now. I'm not going to defend my life decisions when all I did was ask a simple yes or no question.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Couldn't this question be answered with "Yes, if it were fact."? If they can't except this they are either 1. Stressed, or 2. Not NT. Facts are irrefutable.

Sanctus Iacobus

MBTI Type
STP
This covers the purported opening topic, no? Even you agree that NTs are intelligent. The rest is just a rant and guessing games.

But the real question is, are NTs intelligent by definition, and the answer is no--there is no reason to regard them as intelligent by definition. Does that answer the thread question?

rav3n

But the real question is, are NTs intelligent by definition, and the answer is no--there is no reason to regard them as intelligent by definition. Does that answer the thread question?
Apparently they were hired because "they're reliable, intelligent, hard-workers". To me, that's all that matters as it relates to mcb's issues and her reasons for starting this thread.

That she really has no idea what their real type is, kind of loses the meaning and thrust of the thread itself. It's fine that she's frustrated with coworkers. Had she not targeted the "intelligence" of NTs, I would have responded in a different way suggesting methods to help her manage.

And anyways, its kind of silly to suggest that all NTs react the same way in work situations. Take entropie, Jennifer, InvisibleJim and myself. ENTP, INTP, INTJ and ENTJ, respectively. Can you see the difference? I most certainly can.

As far as assumption of intelligence in NTs, NTs are more likely to score higher on standardised IQ tests since many of the measures, are strengths of NTs. Now to suggest that every NT is intelligent as defined by standardised IQ tests, would be inaccurate. So then we move onto whether or not standardised IQ tests encompass universal understanding and agreement in what defines intelligence. And the answer to that is that human beings can't even agree on the definition of "belief" so what makes anyone believe that we can all agree on the definition of "intelligence".

R

ReflecTcelfeR

We just buried that horse again... Should I get out my shovel?

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This covers the purported opening topic, no? Even you agree that NTs are intelligent. The rest is just a rant and guessing games.

I said my *employees* were intelligent. Not all of NT humanity.

And I'm out of here. This is a waste of time. Whether you have better things to do than nitpick and overanalyze some stranger on the internet or not, I don't care. Knock yourself out.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NTs: Smarter Than You

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fuck off...

Back to topic.

When people ask me if im smart i say no.
When they claim i am i go: "pffft!" and thinks they are stupid for thinking such a thing..

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Exactly. It's like people who type all controlling, inflexible authority figures as SJs, which just reinforces their idea that SJs are insufferable, which makes them even more likely to type any controlling, inflexible authority figure as an SJ. It's a self-propagating thing.

Yes you'd be surprised at how many INTJs are insufferable and how many ISTJs are perfectly lovable.