• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Would an NT ever admit (s)he's of average intelligence?

tifpod

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hard to say, but...

I can't speak for all NTs, obviously, but there are certain areas where my intelligence is average to low. Music, for example. I love it, but I'm so tone deaf it's crazy. Or interpersonal skills. I can tell people are upset, but I have no idea how to fix it or what to say to make them feel better.

And then there's the fact that there's always someone smarter out there, so humility is a good thing to have. That way you don't look like a complete idiot (and jerk) when someone proves you wrong.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my best friend is an INTJ and he is convinced that his intelligence is average when it is blatantly obvious to anyone who knows him that it's closer to the 140-160 range.

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I know I'm not gifted intellectually, but do I believe I can become so? Absolutely. For now I'd say I'm above average at best.

I think at some point most NT's realize that they are capable of a specific type of thought process that is very exploratory and open. I also think that many of them - in reaction to this realization - probably come across as vain because they believe they understand and accept complexity much more readily than the average person. There have been many times in my life when I've said to myself - "I can't believe how dumb people actually are sometimes". Let's face it: the majority of people in the world have a very hard time accepting thought processes outside their own limited scope of knowledge. It requires effort to push yourself outside of your own boundaries, and it's obvious that most people just ain't gonna do that. Part of the frustration is also that when you have people limit you with what they perceive to be "ideal" rules and ideologies (as many people are wont to do) that we do not react well to this. Even though most NT's are very "confident" in themselves, this is somewhat of a "face" because in reality, most NT's realize that their "confidence" is contingent on their knowledge and experiences. The more knowledge and experiences you acquire, the more you feel that you have an "edge" on your competition. But there's always the chance that something will come along and shake up your knowledge base.

I think what you find on places like INTJ forum is actually a dialogue of people discussing things while attempting to remain "detached" from a conclusion. It leads to an argument style where no one actually wins - because they shouldn't, but everyone is very confident about themselves. In an "optimal" NT world all conclusions are best guesses until proven otherwise. That leads to the crux of the superiority complex I think. NT's just believe that they are less likely to have a hard bias - a mental plane that is hard to reach because you have to remain detached. It is an echelon of development that I think we strive for.
+1

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Music, for example. I love it, but I'm so tone deaf it's crazy.

Lol, this is so true for myself. I really wanted to play an instrument groing up, any instrument, but music is just so lost on me. I love listening to it and all, but if I listened to a song on the radio and 10 seconds after the song ends you ask me to hum the melody of the song that just playes and I just can't do it. (Unless I expect the answer and keep the song stuck in my head or if it's just a very simple melody like row your boat or something.)

So often I heard a good song on the radio and I want to ask my sister for example "Hey, I heard this song and want to find out what it's called" And she goes like, "ok, what does it sound like?" And I'm like "Da-da-da... Err... dada... daaaa... ehm... da, no... I don't remember...".

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
May be not average intelligence but different kind of intelligence. My INTJ friend has recently confided in me that he felt jealous of the workers that were doing some repairs at his house, how quickly they could get things done and know exactly what needed to be mended. He said he was an awe of their different kind of intelligence from his.

Simi

MBTI Type
ENFJ
The superiority complex is infuriating because an NT can be acting really stupid and childish and STILL THINK THEY'RE SO FUCKING INTELLIGENT.

HAHAHA.
You just about made my night with that, considering I'm dealing with problems with an NT being really immature but thinking he is all smart. GOODNESS.

StrawMan

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don´t remember ever meeting a person who I thought was NT and having (in my opinion) average intelligence. Meaning IQ. On the other hand, intelligence is not even close to being all you need for succeeding in life, so I don't think it's anything to brag about.

Critical Hit

MBTI Type
ENTP
There are plenty of NTs that I dont think would fall under the traditional definition of "smart".
Like this fellow right here:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx1amQsBhGc"]NT[/YOUTUBE]

Hes got it figured out.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"NTs are intrinsically superior" jokes (shitty ones) aside, have you ever heard of an intellectually humble NT?

Yes.

INTP most likely.

Every single NT is most likely to have a high IQ, since our very cognative strengths lie in that test. Not many NT's would however say that a high IQ makes someone gifted. Nor that they are gifted.

I'm smart sure, I know my strengths and know how to use them. But I also know I have weaknesses. My intelligence according to the IQ tests may be top percentile, but I've a lot of respect for people who, despite having a much lower IQ, still realize so much more than I do. And I would give the title gifted to those people instead of myself anytime.

+1

IQ wise I score well-above average but not quite gifted. I got 125 on a professional test.

I've got very good logical-mathematical intelligence, which is the main type of intelligence measured on standard IQ tests with some linguistic and spatial thrown in as well. If an IQ test were to emphasize an area I'm weak in like body or interpersonal, I'd probably be below average.

I think most ppl believe they're above average...

Yes. There was a thread about this a while back.

May be not average intelligence but different kind of intelligence. My INTJ friend has recently confided in me that he felt jealous of the workers that were doing some repairs at his house, how quickly they could get things done and know exactly what needed to be mended. He said he was an awe of their different kind of intelligence from his.

Yes. It takes all types. I'm mechanically challenged myself so I relate to this example. In turn the mechanically inclined or the socially inclined or the musicially inclined marvel at my analytical skills.

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
There are plenty of NTs that I dont think would fall under the traditional definition of "smart".
Like this fellow right here:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx1amQsBhGc"]NT[/YOUTUBE]

Hes got it figured out.

How do you figure that this individual is an NT?

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The ones with inflated egos will of course be narcissistic and claim that they're of higher intelligence and superior to others.

I'm supposedly ENTJ (hem hem hem my forum behavior is inconsistent to correlate with ENTJ) and while I consider myself smart, but it's not to the levels that it becomes "HAHAHAHAHAH IN YOUR FACE I AM SO SMRT". That is just plain foolish.

I am smart, but I am not. If you know what I mean.

Critical Hit

MBTI Type
ENTP
How do you figure that this individual is an NT?

The hat sticker thing man. Most people leave stickers on their hats as a fashion statement, he figured out a practical application for it. To keep blunt dookie off your hat.

Thats thinking outside of the box right there.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Meh, everyone seems to think they're smart - maybe not necessarily the smartEST, but smart.

To me, when people say smart, I think of a 140+ IQ.

And yes, this doesn't apply just to NTs. I'm not disclosing my IQ score here (my adoptive father had me get tested at 14 in order to justify his insane pushiness with grades), but I still don't see myself as smart, because I'm not a Rhodes Scholar, now am I?

So when people say they're smart, I assume they found the cure for post-symptom rabies.

alakazam

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
...that they don't need emotional intelligence...

Emotional intelligence doesn't exist - it's an oxymoron. Before you immediately fling poo at me, read on.

Cognitive Intelligence, loosely defined, refers to one's ability to logically and rationally reason through things. There is some relatively objective standard there: either you can or you can't reason through something. Having high Cognitive Intelligence would say you are good at doing this.

Emotional Intelligence would then refer to one's ability to emotionally (i.e. subjectively) get through something. So, having high Emotional Intelligence would what? Say that you have a superior ability to feel? Sounds like something made up to justify an inability or lack of desire to control emotions.

Having high Emotional Intelligence cannot help with logically reasoning through problems. However, having high Cognitive Intelligence CAN help control, deal with and empathize with emotions.

What you see from NTs is usually that they see emotions as the devil and see dealing with them or acknowledging them as beneath them. These NTs tend to believe that emotions shouldn't exist and rationality is the be-all-end-all. Through maturity, however, NTs should learn not just that other people have emotions (and so do they! GASP), but also the importance of emotions.

So instead of making up a concept with which you can bash people over the head, call it what it is: the inability or unwillingness to acknowledge them.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Emotional intelligence doesn't exist - it's an oxymoron. Before you immediately fling poo at me, read on.

Cognitive Intelligence, loosely defined, refers to one's ability to logically and rationally reason through things. There is some relatively objective standard there: either you can or you can't reason through something. Having high Cognitive Intelligence would say you are good at doing this.

Emotional Intelligence would then refer to one's ability to emotionally (i.e. subjectively) get through something. So, having high Emotional Intelligence would what? Say that you have a superior ability to feel? Sounds like something made up to justify an inability or lack of desire to control emotions.

Having high Emotional Intelligence cannot help with logically reasoning through problems. However, having high Cognitive Intelligence CAN help control, deal with and empathize with emotions.

What you see from NTs is usually that they see emotions as the devil and see dealing with them or acknowledging them as beneath them. These NTs tend to believe that emotions shouldn't exist and rationality is the be-all-end-all. Through maturity, however, NTs should learn not just that other people have emotions (and so do they! GASP), but also the importance of emotions.

So instead of making up a concept with which you can bash people over the head, call it what it is: the inability or unwillingness to acknowledge them.

(Holds up poo, starts to throw, stops in mid air when you said not to fling poo, reads post, flings poo anyways.)
IQ and EQ are two separate things, it's not "ability to have emotion" it's about the ability to read into people and interpersonal situations, and your own emotions, separate them, deal with emotionally heavy situations, etc. It does not affect problem solving or cognitive ability. (Therefore, not a true opposite- or an oxymoron.) Where did you find the info that said that EQ was a lack of desire to control emotions, or having a superior ability to feel?

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP

I'd say in my case it was the inevitability of emotions. I finally decided that was irrational to have any expectation of total rationality from anybody to include myself and to, in as much as possible, learn to deal with my and others emotions - in the most rational manner of course ;).

alakazam

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
it's about the ability to read into people and interpersonal situations, and your own emotions, separate them, deal with emotionally heavy situations, etc.

There's no distinction between that and the ability to rationally do the same thing. The only problem is that many 'rational' people think that emotions should be discounted because they're irrational when they should be harnessed instead. EQ is still nothing but a feel-good manufactured concept.

I'd say in my case it was the inevitability of emotions. I finally decided that was irrational to have any expectation of total rationality from anybody to include myself and to, in as much as possible, learn to deal with my and others emotions - in the most rational manner of course ;).

Yep! Exactly. Emotions are wonderful things - as long as they're not allowed to control your life and interpersonal interactions

Hera

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Whether I think I have average intelligence or not, I'm still not going to brag or devalue myself either way. That type of thing is not interesting to me.