• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Would an NT ever admit (s)he's of average intelligence?

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Every single self-proclaimed NT (and that could be the reason for this) claims that they're gifted/high IQ.

Usually, I'd say "not all NTs claim that", but I haven't seen even ONE NT admit that they were merely of average intellect or below.

"NTs are intrinsically superior" jokes (shitty ones) aside, have you ever heard of an intellectually humble NT?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Every single NT is most likely to have a high IQ, since our very cognative strengths lie in that test. Not many NT's would however say that a high IQ makes someone gifted. Nor that they are gifted.

I'm smart sure, I know my strengths and know how to use them. But I also know I have weaknesses. My intelligence according to the IQ tests may be top percentile, but I've a lot of respect for people who, despite having a much lower IQ, still realize so much more than I do. And I would give the title gifted to those people instead of myself anytime.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The problem with some NTs is that they think their type of intelligence is superior to the intelligence of others. This creates a serious problem (with some, not all, I don't want to generalize). Typically they have high logical/mathematical intelligence, but so many seem to think that's all they need in life...that they don't need emotional intelligence, common sense...they think having their one particular type of intelligence puts them above everyone. It's almost comical if it weren't so ridiculously infuriating.

Yeah, other types are supposed to say "oooh rationals are soooo smart" but not every NT will admit that they totally lack the abilities that other types have. The superiority complex is infuriating because an NT can be acting really stupid and childish and STILL THINK THEY'RE SO FUCKING INTELLIGENT. It's kind of mind boggling. I witnessed this a lot on INTJ forum. That place is like a dark corner of hell where many members seem to think because they understand engineering or physics that they also understand people, and you can't tell them otherwise. It's like, um, I'll admit I'm not any good at math and chemistry if you admit you're emotionally still in middle school.

SORRY BECAUSE ALL NTs ARE NOT LIKE THAT. I've encountered many humble, mature, sensitive NTs who are great people.

So...yeah...I think some NTs have a balanced view or perspective of themselves and others don't. Just like any other type, I guess.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What Marm said.

Every single self-proclaimed NT (and that could be the reason for this) claims that they're gifted/high IQ.
Usually, I'd say "not all NTs claim that", but I haven't seen even ONE NT admit that they were merely of average intellect or below.

Actually, I was surprised to see a few NTs state this on another general typology forum I've been on. But I guess the fact that it was only a few + that I was surprised to see it only proves the point.

People value their perceived strengths. If someone takes pride in their smarts, they won't be as apt to 'fess up to being just average.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've known some NT's going (after some of their fellow NT's went off on some intellectual bend):

'Ok great, so anyone wanna elaborate that for us more moderate intelligent people?'

Does that count?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So...yeah...I think some NTs have a balanced view or perspective of themselves and others don't. Just like any other type, I guess.

Indeed! :D

Also OP, don't confuse self-depricating NT humor for serious intent, please.

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
The problem with some NTs is that they think their type of intelligence is superior to the intelligence of others. This creates a serious problem (with some, not all, I don't want to generalize). Typically they have high logical/mathematical intelligence, but so many seem to think that's all they need in life...that they don't need emotional intelligence, common sense...they think having their one particular type of intelligence puts them above everyone. It's almost comical if it weren't so ridiculously infuriating.

Yeah, other types are supposed to say "oooh rationals are soooo smart" but not every NT will admit that they totally lack the abilities that other types have. The superiority complex is infuriating because an NT can be acting really stupid and childish and STILL THINK THEY'RE SO FUCKING INTELLIGENT. It's kind of mind boggling. I witnessed this a lot on INTJ forum. That place is like a dark corner of hell where many members seem to think because they understand engineering or physics that they also understand people, and you can't tell them otherwise. It's like, um, I'll admit I'm not any good at math and chemistry if you admit you're emotionally still in middle school.

SORRY BECAUSE ALL NTs ARE NOT LIKE THAT. I've encountered many humble, mature, sensitive NTs who are great people.

There is absolutely nothing about emotional "intelligence" that logic and reason cannot penetrate.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:doh:

Was this that humor you were referring to, Fluffs? :laugh:

G

Glycerine

hmmmm.... there have been some NTs on this forum who have admitted to having average intelligence, Those individuals seem to be pretty down to earth and well-rounded. :)

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
The question is, how many people of other types admit they are of average intelligence? I don't know many people in general who say they are of average intelligence.

Not without reason there exists that quote of Rene Descartes:

"Of all things, good sense is the most fairly distributed: everyone thinks he is so well supplied with it that even those who are the hardest to satisfy in every other respect never desire more of it than they already have."

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
There is absolutely nothing about emotional "intelligence" that logic and reason cannot penetrate.

Well yes and no. I guess you can trace someone's emotional reactions and make sense of them. There is some sort of logic there. You can reason that: if this happened to me, in this context, then it makes sense that they would feel such and such a way. But I'm not sure if that's the same thing as a syllogism or something. I find a lot of people are capable of impersonal logic, but when they try to figure out the logic of people they are pretty hopeless (and vice versa of course). Some are adept at both, of course.

I find there are a significant numbers of NT's who claim that their logic/reason penetrates through people's psyche, but in reality they're just clueless. Not that I'm sort of puppet master/empath who has visions or some shit like that. I just find when people confide in me, they often respond well to my attempts to understand their feelings and confirm that I do in fact understand.

I think it would be hard to admit the shortcomings of something you build your identity around though. I rarely hear NF"s say: "meh, I don't really understand people all that well. No better or worse than the next guy, at least."

amazingdatagirl

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Thank you to [MENTION=9052]Eckhart[/MENTION] for the lovely quote from Descartes. I am reminded of words from another great social commentator.
Welcome to Lake Woebegone where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average. -- Garrison Keillor
There must be a high percentage of NT's in that town. :D

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
The question is, how many people of other types admit they are of average intelligence? I don't know many people in general who say they are of average intelligence.

Not without reason there exists that quote of Rene Descartes:

"Of all things, good sense is the most fairly distributed: everyone thinks he is so well supplied with it that even those who are the hardest to satisfy in every other respect never desire more of it than they already have."

Yup. Let's not single out NTs here people.

Illusory Superiority

Unskilled and Unaware of it

When asked, most individuals will describe themselves as better-than-average in areas such as leadership, social skills, written expression, or just about any flavor of savvy where the individual has an interest. This tendency of the average person to believe he or she is better-than-average is known as the “above-average effect,” and it flies in the face of logic…

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Yeah, I once thought to myself, where do some people get such a high self-esteem? They're not very well-liked, they are modestly talented, etc. But apparently these people never got the memo. And I also realize *gasp* I must have the same bias!

It's like when I was little, I used to think I was "the man". Until I went to kindergarten and met 100 other "the man's". "Little Timmy Asterisk beat me in a footrace? But I thought I was the fastest kid in the world. You lied to me, dad!" It was a very crushing realization at the time, and I still probably don't grasp it completely. Well the speed thing, I definitely do realize, but you know, the rest. Although I think I have done a pretty good job crippling myself with indecision and negative thoughts. I don't even have faith in the content of this very post. I'm pretty modest. Come to think of it, I'm way better at being humble than everyone else. ;)

I think all types are vulnerable to this line of thinking. A lot of NF's arrogantly assume they know what's best for people/humanity, and are very convinced of their own morals.

The whole 7/10 drivers think they're above-average is something I try to remember. But I also think, yeah that's actually possible, as long as the other 3 are so bad that they disproportionately lower the average skill level.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
Hrm...

This raises an interesting "chicken and egg" question. It may well be that most NTs are in fact of "above average intelligence" as determined by classical IQ tests. I'm sure somebody out there has written a paper on it*. This seems reasonable as the heavy use of logic and reason demands a fairly high cognitive ability. The question is... are NTs "smart" because of their intellectual skill set OR in order to be an NT does one require a "threshold" IQ? I guess the optimum experimental group would be a group of NTs that had suffered a brain injury that reduced their cognitive functions. Would they still test as NTs?

*I did a (very) hasty search of literature data bases and found this: http://asm.sagepub.com/content/3/3/225.short
However, this is not my area and I may not know what keywords to use in the search nor am I really qualified to asses the quality of the paper.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The main issue with this issue is the definition of intelligence.

Does it test an individuals potential, or look at an individuals minima and maxima. Does it factor in to what (and which) extent the indivudual uses their intelligence. Without a solid answer to any of these questions, the importance of a persons intelligence is not tested.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I have yet to meet a person I can objectively say is more intelligent than I am.

lol