• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Would an NT ever admit (s)he's of average intelligence?

Mr.Green

MBTI Type
INTJ
Why wouldn't he?
I know I'm above average in intelligence, but I also know that there are so many people that are much more intelligent than me. I attended a high-school that only allowed top grade students in Sweden, among that group of people I certainly felt average, if not even below average.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Why wouldn't he?
I know I'm above average in intelligence, but I also know that there are so many people that are much more intelligent than me. I attended a high-school that only allowed top grade students in Sweden, among that group of people I certainly felt average, if not even below average.

I attended an early college program, so that's probably why I feel the same way.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am much smarter than most people I have ever met, but I am not the smartest. I think it is more important that I can grasp and apply theories/ideas/bits of information to make something awesome.

That being said, I haven't met a dumb NT yet.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Me neither... but if I think someone is dumb, I usually don't care enough about them to find out their MBTI type. :/ Because I don't like dumb people very much.

But I think the percentage of one type or another among the dumb people I know is the same as the percentage of one type or another among everyone I know -- i.e. I know more dumb NFs because I know more NFs in general. Seems pretty proportional. *shrugs*

EDIT: To clarify, my definition of "dumb" usually relates to a lack of common sense and a belligerent inability to figure out how wrong you are about something -- i.e. inability to listen to reason, i.e. a certain type of closed-mindedness. And by that definition, I have met quite a few dumb NTs.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've got an abstract mind. I'm good with numbers, vectors, curvatures, tensors... you name it. I guess "abstract mind" is one of the signs of NT-ness (wasn't N the abstract side?) Of course, this means I'm above average intelligence... if you test intelligence with math.
Otherwise, I'm just your average girl. That's why I prefer to say I'm "good at math". It's a bit more modest and a lot more true.

I've once taught a class of future electricians. They assumed that, because I could do these impossible things like finding the zeroes of a parabola (which is, in my opinion, EASY), I was all-round "smart" and knew everything. So they started asked questions about electric circuits. Now, I know Ohms' law and a few other very basic things, but how to build a circuit that can make an electric motor turn both directions, including a safety for when a stupid guy switches the forward moving motor into reverse without stopping it??? No idea.
They were baffled. "But you're INTELLIGENT! You can do math! What are you going to do then when there's some problems with the electricity at your house?"
I had the perfect answer: "Call an electrician, of course. Maybe I'll call YOU!" But they still struggled with the concept that they could be smarter than their math teacher... In my opinion, one of the most important tasks of a teacher is making the students feel they can be smart too.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am much smarter than most people I have ever met, but I am not the smartest. I think it is more important that I can grasp and apply theories/ideas/bits of information to make something awesome.

Ditto that. I have, however, met a couple of excruciatingly close-minded NTs... which could be considered a type of stupidity/idiocy.

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Ditto that. I have, however, met a couple of excruciatingly close-minded NTs... which could be considered a type of stupidity/idiocy.

I agree that willful ignorance and a stubborn clinging to irrational beliefs is a form of stupidity. It prevents reasoned and logical inferences in much the same way that an inability to grasp such reasoning brings about.

uncommonentity

The average 'average' is my 'embarrassingly low'. So I'm above that average but with mine I've far to go.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yeah and all the NF's think they understand everyone, specifically INFJs tend to think they are some sort of psychic... its pathetic.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, you kids!

url

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am as intelligent like the weakest member in a group

that doesnt grant me access to elite schools, but it gave me leadership abilities

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How does it give you leadership abilities?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hm, certainly there must be truth to that :p

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd like to add my own questions.
Would an NF ever admit he is unethical?
Would an SP ever admit he is boring?
Would an SJ ever admit he is doing it wrong?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I think if the individual of each temperament didn't rest their whole identity on said trait, then yes, they'd be able to admit it. I think that's kind of the root of the issue, isn't it? If an NT rests all or the bulk of his identity/ego on the trait of intelligence, then he'll be less likely to admit being 'average' or admit being wrong. Same goes for the other temperaments.

(personally, I've never viewed the core aspect of my own identity as ethical/unethical. I honestly don't know what I'd view as my 'core' aspect... but yeah, conceptually, I'd be less likely to admit wrong if it's something I hold very closely to my sense of self, and believed to be true - whatever that would be)

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Ha! Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Or, does an SP ever admit that they aren't a badass? I have a 65-year-old ESTP friend who says things like, "Who wouldn't want this awesome body?" It's funny as heck, but I think he actually believes it. I wanna say, "No, you're not a badass."

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
How does it give you leadership abilities?

Because it gives you a wide overview of the different people there are in the world and it equips you with abilities to be able to gain access to just anyone. As opposed to concentrating on only one sole fact of your existence, namely intelligence and singleing out everything that is no match for it.

Really if you go on unimaginative like that, intpeeing on me, I will revoke your entp status :)

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think if the individual of each temperament didn't rest their whole identity on said trait, then yes, they'd be able to admit it. I think that's kind of the root of the issue, isn't it? If an NT rests all or the bulk of his identity/ego on the trait of intelligence, then he'll be less likely to admit being 'average' or admit being wrong. Same goes for the other temperaments.
well summed!
(personally, I've never viewed the core aspect of my own identity as ethical/unethical. I honestly don't know what I'd view as my 'core' aspect... but yeah, conceptually, I'd be less likely to admit wrong if it's something I hold very closely to my sense of self, and believed to be true - whatever that would be)
Interesting. Being a Enneagram 5 you would probably at least be more hybrid. That means you are the exception that makes my rule valid! :mariobanana:
Ha! Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Or, does an SP ever admit that they aren't a badass? I have a 65-year-old ESTP friend who says things like, "Who wouldn't want this awesome body?" It's funny as heck, but I think he actually believes it. I wanna say, "No, you're not a badass."
lol! Maybe he is just trying to be fun? At least he achieved that. Much better than being a crabby old man no one can stand. :laugh: