• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] When you look at someone, do you SEE personality/behavior instead of physical attrs?

T

ThatGirl

This is how it works for me. When I meet someone, I feel like I get an entire idea of them on a glance, down to the most detailed characteristic. Ask me to describe them physically though, and I can't come up with a thing. Now I just compare people to other people to describe what they are like.

I do have moments where I will be watching a crowd or group of people and they all look like chimps to me though.

alakazam

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
Lol, it is NOT just you.

LOL! I started studying Paul Ekman's research on body language and facial expressions, and I started noticing that, every time I started really paying attention to it, I stopped seeing people's face as people - but rather chimps.

T

ThatGirl

One of the places that really sticks out for me is if your local mall has a kids play area with the little toys they can climb on. You see all the parents lounging, checking each other out, around the perimeter, not really speaking, just watching the kids. The kids playing in the most raw and instinctual way. Lol.

Another time I see it a lot is when I happen to notice and observe a man and women flirting with each other.

I think you are right that it is in the body language. The subtle cues where one lets go of their form and starts acting from an unaffected base instinct.

For example the way a woman cocks her hip to the side, softens her voice, turns her head slightly, smiles more, and wiggles a bit when speaking to a man she finds attractive. Then the way the man responds by standing up a bit straighter, cocking his elbows slightly outward, and puffing up his chest. They way they look at each other nervously as though sniffing each other out. I don't think most people notice those things, but when you tune into the movement of them, it looks very, primal. People start appearing very simple.

Edit: I am going to look into this Paul Ekman. Sounds like a good read.