• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Is it possible to be a social INTx?

uncommonentity

Extroverts are weak sauce they don't know how to party hard cause they care too much about what other people think.

fecaleagle

MBTI Type
INTj
You can train yourself to be more extroverted. I am also an INTx, but mostly an INTJ..a lot of flipping and flopping among my functions. Super introverted. I mean I can sit in my room for weeks and entertain myself if I have to

Lately I have been training myself through practice and self-hypnosis to be more extroverted, and let me tell you it is definitely possible. Although I need my recharge time. You have to start viewing people as opportunities. Try to connect with them. Make them believe that they are similar to you, so exagerrate interests and strengths/weaknesses. What can you extract via conversing with them? Try to figure them out like a puzzle. If nothing, then you're exactly where you were before. It's tough to explain since it's new to me, but basically view a potential conversation in the same way as reading a few pages alone. You are trying to learn. Start talking to used car salesmen who seem to be ESTP types by majority. If you have a developed inferior Se then you can learn to emulate how they interact with the world. They are strangely similar to INTJs in a lot of ways. Show people your adventerous side...summon your Se and do illogical and risky things. People respect that..ESPECIALLY when they get to see your true side because you will look super dynamic. Intermittently shift to use Ni/Te/Fi to read through BS and intentions and to come up with your next move. Use Se to implement it smoothly. Learn to recognize when you are using what functions and program your consciousness to be able to access them when you want

Within

Permabanned
Sure why not, it depends on the crowd.

Shine a new light on and reinvent what the weak say; It's not me it's you.

A

Anew Leaf

I have two INTP friends who are quite social.

One is 5w6 SO/??. He plays a lot of instruments and he's involved in his church with playing on the weekends. His weekends are usually pretty filled with going out with friends, and then his weekday nights are spent being alone for the most part. He lives in a house with 5 other guys. He is definitely an I-NTP though, not E-NTP. (I had him take the test, ha! Plus I know him very well.) In small groups he will be pretty chatty, but in larger groups he doesn't say much at all.

My other friend is E-gram unknown. He has an ENFX girlfriend who runs him around everywhere. He's definitely an Introvert as well, but he doesn't mind helping friends out, going out to bars, etc. He is probably SO/SX.

My dad is also an INTP and he is definitely 5w6 SO/SX. Get a drink in him and he turns into an ENTP with no indoor voice and talking a mile a minute to anyone and everyone. It's actually rather entertaining until it becomes horrifying.... :)

On the other side of the INT fence, the INTJs I have known over the years have been more likely to NOT be social.

Just what I have observed! :) Hope this helps your thread even though I is not an INTX.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Sure it's possible, but such actions will drain an introvert.

Yes. I can wing it for as long as I need to and I'm sure even pass as an extrovert to people who don't know me.

Simi

MBTI Type
ENFJ
This INTP guy I'm into has many friends, and many people always wanting to hang out with him.

But the thing about him is he is drained by it, and he would just rather hide away in his bedroom then come out and hang with all his many friends.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On the other side of the INT fence, the INTJs I have known over the years have been more likely to NOT be social.
Interesting. My INTP has always been much more social than I am, though like ceecee I can pass as an extravert in professional situations.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I've done social things all day and most of the last two weeks. I'm literally having trouble putting sentences together because I'm so fizzled.

pardo

MBTI Type
istp
I'm sure it's perfectly possible to be a socially active INTx. But if that is also desirable, remains to be seen. A large social life involves a constant flow of trivialities, routine tasks and intrusions that hardly fit in the stereotypical INT's ways.

Cerridwen

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I would like to think I'm a social INT. In fact, I probably appear to be more extroverted to my more introverted friends and have been mistaken as such. But, when around those who are truly extroverted, like one of my friends in college who likes to try to introduce me to the wonders of college parties (ugh...), or my brother who loves to be around people ALL THE TIME, you can most definitely tell I am introverted.

I find that if I spend a weekend around just my friends, I probably want to spend the rest of the week alone until the next weekend. Also, I tend to speak less if there is a large group of people. I think this is usually because of a combination of not being interested on wherever the conversation is going, processing what each person says (and possibly re-evaluating my own opinion) before adding in my two cents, and just being down right shy.

So, based on my own experiences, I suppose an INT can definitely be social, so long as they have a period of downtime to recharge and if they spend their social time around a small group people who share the same basic interests.

Last edited:

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
Introverts can be very social in small groups. In very small numbers, especially one on one, it's extroverts that fade out.

goats

MBTI Type
INTP
Only a very few people are 100% introverted imo so i was wondering if it is possible to be a social INTJ/INTP.

Yes. I'm quite social. But some times i do feel like my time spent hanging out with people could be put to better use...
I'm still looking for the balance i guess :shrug:

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Have come to accept my deficiencies in being "social". That helps. Allowing yourself to accept feeling awkward or not always being a small talk master or making faux pas; is not a big deal. Embrace the downtime; people are not tripping out on you most of the time as long as you’re not tripping on yourself.

That and a few social tricks/tactics/strategies gets me through the bumps. Seeing the social game as a science or game can help the INTx make sense of the whole rigmarole. Also having an understanding on how being social has an impact on the big picture.

And if all else fails there is always alcohol.