• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] for socially awkward INTP, how does relationship happen?

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
I been out of school for couple years, haven't went out or socialized since than. It makes sense since I have major depression but I would really like to meet people. Not really into loud places so clubs and bars isn't my scene. I tried online dating sites but it didn't end very well for me. I have been applying for jobs but after working at retail I don't wanna work in any of those environment ever again.

How does anti-social INTP find relationship in real world places?

Just FYI I really enjoy spending time on my own, It's just I get really lonely and I"m still human.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???

Do you start imagining people for company when under influence of alcohol? :mellow:

I thought the key question of the OP is he doesn't know places where to try to get to know people besides loud party places that he doesn't like (I have the same issue, heh). Do you have some kind of hobbies (or interests in stuff) that you could do with other people together?

Neutralpov

Hate to say it but it sounds like you do need a few good quality friends think2much. Expecting that you can be 100% independent seems to be causing your problems from what I can tell. Maybe you should let go of that and realize everyone needs others in their life. The best way I have found to be in a relationship is to have a few solid friendships before to help keep me healthy since relationships are high risk in that they come in and out seeing if you are right for them. Relationships are not the place to become a better and healthier person and if you expect it you are going to be hurt and mangled for misusing them. You will become more and more negative if you use them for what you are really seeking. I set 3-6 months to go to activities around town that I enjoy to meet and vet out 3-4 friends. It was a excellent step in my life and I recommend it.

goats

MBTI Type
INTP
I been out of school for couple years, haven't went out or socialized since than. It makes sense since I have major depression but I would really like to meet people. Not really into loud places so clubs and bars isn't my scene. I tried online dating sites but it didn't end very well for me. I have been applying for jobs but after working at retail I don't wanna work in any of those environment ever again.

How does anti-social INTP find relationship in real world places?

Just FYI I really enjoy spending time on my own, It's just I get really lonely and I"m still human.

What do you look like?
Why don't you like clubs and bars? Have you been to a club before?

goats

MBTI Type
INTP
Hate to say it but it sounds like you do need a few good quality friends think2much. Expecting that you can be 100% independent seems to be causing your problems from what I can tell. Maybe you should let go of that and realize everyone needs others in their life. The best way I have found to be in a relationship is to have a few solid friendships before to help keep me healthy since relationships are high risk in that they come in and out seeing if you are right for them. Relationships are not the place to become a better and healthier person and if you expect it you are going to be hurt and mangled for misusing them. You will become more and more negative if you use them for what you are really seeking. I set 3-6 months to go to activities around town that I enjoy to meet and vet out 3-4 friends. It was a excellent step in my life and I recommend it.

Hey, OP, listen to this person :]

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
You need to be happy alone before you can be happy together. The fear of loneliness will pollute any relationship you have.

Priori

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Go to Amazon, do a search for Leil Lowndes. Read everything she's ever written. A lot of her material can be redundant, but it will help you learn social skills in a format that an INTP can digest.

rav3n

Observations:

INTPs in general feel they're socially awkward, even when they don't necessarily come across as such. If you were to discuss a social interaction with them, their perspectives can be completely different than what appeared to happen, according to an observer or even as the other person(s) in the interaction. That's not to say they're not socially awkward especially when they're in one of their caving moods which makes them grumpy to interact with.

From my experiences, INTP men tend to be like others when seeking non-platonic connections. They just need a bit more encouragement with blatant shows of interest and some need the woman to be the aggressor. That said, some, even when sweating buckets, will come onto women much like other types of men by asking women out. But of the ones that I've experienced, there has to be a "click" or they're gone.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Observations:

INTPs in general feel they're socially awkward, even when they don't necessarily come across as such. If you were to discuss a social interaction with them, their perspectives can be completely different than what appeared to happen, according to an observer or even as the other person(s) in the interaction. That's not to say they're not socially awkward especially when they're in one of their caving moods which makes them grumpy to interact with.

From my experiences, INTP men tend to be like others when seeking non-platonic connections. They just need a bit more encouragement with blatant shows of interest and some need the woman to be the aggressor. That said, some, even when sweating buckets, will come onto women much like other types of men by asking women out. But of the ones that I've experienced, there has to be a "click" or they're gone.

How u know all this? Have you been bird watching INTP-watching again?

Faine

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
You need to be happy alone before you can be happy together. The fear of loneliness will pollute any relationship you have.

+1000 points for true-ness.

But, in regards to the OP: If you want to meet someone... mm, I suppose I can only really suggest perhaps trying to join a club or something where you might meet people with similar interests? Build yourself a small network of people and contacts. Make it known that you're not one for nightclubs and stuff so that they don't invite you out to those kinds of things, but never turn down an opportunity to do something else.

xisnotx

Permabanned
1)Find a hobby.
2)Take a class at a community college.
3)Take a walk.
4)Go to a club/bar and just sit there. I do this all the time and usually by the end of the night I've made a couple wallflower friends. Alcohol doesn't hurt.

Honestly, if you put yourself out there..the right people will find you. Go out into the world and do what you want to do. Eventually you will either get the urge to talk someone or someone will talk to you. Yesterday, a random girl tried to start a conversation with me at the bustop...it's not uncommon for complete strangers to talk to one another on the bus.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Sorry, but I don't think you get to know people by "taking a walk" or because you wait for the bus (talking 5 words doesn't mean for me getting to know someone). Or maybe I just live in another world.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Getting to know people waiting for the bus generally doesn't happen with me either, but last week this Asian woman who'd just moved here and couldn't speak English that well started asking me questions about the the buses around here (fees, schedules) and after we'd talked about that a bit she offered to be friends and teach me how to make a handbag sometime and gave me her address and phone number. It was weird. I thought maybe I'd go just for the hell of it, but I'm not sure now. :unsure:

gromit

likes this
Get some hobbies! People with hobbies are interesting and also if it's something you like doing, you'll be happier and attract people, plus you can find friends who have similar interests to you. Take a community class in something that interests you to get started.

Edit, just realized...

1)Find a hobby.
3)Take a walk.

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
Do you start imagining people for company when under influence of alcohol? :mellow:

I thought the key question of the OP is he doesn't know places where to try to get to know people besides loud party places that he doesn't like (I have the same issue, heh). Do you have some kind of hobbies (or interests in stuff) that you could do with other people together?

This was exactly what I was asking, I don't know where to meet people. I do have hobbies, I jog, play violin, ski maby once in awhile, I enjoy doing activities alone. It helps me explore in depth.

What do you look like?
Why don't you like clubs and bars? Have you been to a club before?
club, I'm guessing loud music, dancing, pretty dark, hard to have conversation. I just don't like loud environment. I like the calm quiet atmosphere.
you want me to be alone forever? I already said I enjoy being alone, doesn't mean I'm gonna be alone forever. I still need human interaction.
kinda hard to find a good quality friends for a guy like me, I would prefer to meet people around my age group since they can relate better. Kinda hard since most are at university or grad school.
+1000 points for true-ness.

But, in regards to the OP: If you want to meet someone... mm, I suppose I can only really suggest perhaps trying to join a club or something where you might meet people with similar interests? Build yourself a small network of people and contacts. Make it known that you're not one for nightclubs and stuff so that they don't invite you out to those kinds of things, but never turn down an opportunity to do something else.
Most of my hobbies don't require any social interaction. My hobbies are mostly individual type.
1)Find a hobby.
3)Take a walk.
4)Go to a club/bar and just sit there. I do this all the time and usually by the end of the night I've made a couple wallflower friends. Alcohol doesn't hurt.

Honestly, if you put yourself out there..the right people will find you. Go out into the world and do what you want to do. Eventually you will either get the urge to talk someone or someone will talk to you. Yesterday, a random girl tried to start a conversation with me at the bustop...it's not uncommon for complete strangers to talk to one another on the bus.
I'm not gonna take a class just to meet friends.

take a walk? You would have a better chance eating at diner alone. Honestly what kind of advice is that? How about I drive my car around to make friends.

It's not hard to strike a conversation to random people. I want to make friends not make small talk with everyone. Two different things

Sorry, but I don't think you get to know people by "taking a walk" or because you wait for the bus (talking 5 words doesn't mean for me getting to know someone). Or maybe I just live in another world.
Having a small talk with someone you'll never meet again is pointless. I want to meet friends not strike a conversation to random people on the street.

EDIT: I guess my question is for someone similar like me how did you guys meet your friends?

gromit

likes this
Is there any suggestion you will try?

You have to start somewhere. Except in very rare cases, nobody just jumps straight into good friendships or romantic relationships with another person. You have to start small and build from there. What starts out seeming superficial becomes meaningful once you have gotten the chance to know other people and open up to one another.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
so instead of making a repeat of other posts I'll just quote the posts I like from the thread. One reccomendation I would like to make considering all this is to read this book: The Art of Loving by Erich Fromm It was quite an interesting read for me atleast and motivated me to be better at showing love, attention and friendship to more people.

There is so much truth in this it has to be said.

Observations:

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
I've always found the people I dated through activities we had in common. Running, cooking, and, of all things, an interest in oriental carpets. I'd say the best thing for anybody, but perhaps most especially an INTP, is to meet people where you have an interest in common with people and where you feel comfortable.