• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTJ] ENTJ engineer - others out there?

heizusan

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hi, I'm an ENTJ by the tests, but I have worked as a one-man engineering team for years (haven't worked a corporate job in, well, ever). I'm just curious how many others out there may be in similar positions, where major aspects of their lives differ greatly from what they'd expect for their preferences...

I am moving more towards a managerial/team leader role in my newest start up. But this is the first time in my 30+ years of life. Every previous position has been just me. Not much of a team to lead.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Haha yes, you've found the MBTI & realized your true purpose... not merely to be an engineer, but to lead an ARMY of engineers! :wizfreak:

I got my Bachelor's degree in engineering, but surprise surprise... I hated it already by the time I graduated. What field do you work in?

heizusan

MBTI Type
ENTP
LOL. Actually, I found the MBTI about 15 years ago. Back when I tested as an ISTJ - the classical engineer personality. Made sense I was in school for it, then.

I'm a software engineer - worked for startups ever since college. Never had a corporate job.

heizusan

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hm, whoops...

ENTJ was what the simpler free tests out there have reliably given me. But when I just went and took a more comprehensive test, it scored me as a pretty extreme ENTP. Still, not a traditional engineer's personality.

bcubchgo

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
architect here. you could consider that the "artistic" side of being an "engineer".

To me, the sign of a true "engineer" is that they focus on economy and reliability - more S than N. If your process involves coming up with ideas that might not be "practical", then you're focusing with your "N" capabilities.

Odyne

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
ENTJ and in Mechanical Engineering.

I've done both, individual work and team management. I enjoyed both, although you have less margins of error when you do things on your own. However, engineering jobs are all about team work. :)

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To me, the sign of a true "engineer" is that they focus on economy and reliability - more S than N. If your process involves coming up with ideas that might not be "practical", then you're focusing with your "N" capabilities.

Te is nothing if not practical, whether paired with Si or Ni.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I'm not an engineer, but I've always worked basically alone, both as a translator and as a researcher. As long as I've got outlets for my sociability (i.e. going out at night, discussing something with a colleague), I actually prefer this type of setup. Italian business isn't known for its great organization, thus working in larger teams leaves me frustrated and overworked more often than not.

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Well, we all have to pay the bills somehow heizusan, small as your business may be right now, but I think an engineer is a definite ENTJ job, Te applying creative Ni in some interesting way especially with computer software. ENTJ's just gravitate towards leading and conquering other businesses though, but as a profession, engineering definitely applies to you. The inventive visionary ENTP's I personally consider thee engineering personality, as they're always engineering some big idea, moreso than any other type.

As for me, I'm a Mechanical Tech 3D draftsman that works WAY too many hours in front of Autodesk Inventor doing design work. Not that strange for an INFJ as IN likes design, which I just finished doing at work moments ago. We all need to pay the bills, and there aren't many jobs, at least good paying jobs nowadays in pure INFJ professions like counselling, writing, and humanitarian work, unless you're either a glutton for punishment and poverty or a savant, or do those things after work. It's often a lot of waiting before we get the job that applies to our personality. I'd prefer doing the profession I set out to do, Sustainable Community Planning, which to me would be meaningful and apply to my skill set, but there's no work if you don't already have work (experience required to get experience repeating ad infinitum), or have an in. My personality doesn't gravitate towards the specificity required to do my current job at all, as I'm a big picture person, and neither is it meaningful to me as I really don't take my work home with me as I did as a director of a therapeutic group home, which has been a great change of pace actually.

F

figsfiggyfigs

<IT student--software engineer > haz yet to work professionally as one. I'll let you know how it goes when the tide comes.