• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Why is it so hard for Me to stop focusing on Myself?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Uber,

It sounds like a form of insecurity to me. You seem to always be looking for the validation of someone's attention. Even negative attention is better than none at all.

You want to have a relationship to everyone where they give you all of the attention and control over the conversation, wothout you offering any in return. Unequal relationships only work if you are in the role of the kid and you are being provided for, but have to accept the direction of someone else, or if you are in the role of the adult and are providing for someone else, and they have to take your direction if you are going to help them.

In your case, you are trying to maintain all of the control (the adult position) while taking on the least amount of responsibility (the kid position). In short, you want the best of both worlds, and it just doesn't work that way once you become an adult. Either you get messed up people being attracted to your company who are willing to feed your ego, or else people just vote with their feet and go elsewhere to interact.

In general, this seems to be an issue of not being able to put yourself into someone else's shoes. My own private theory is that it is impossible to do this unless you have a sense of your own needs have been adequately met. Unfortunately, once you become an adult, you are generally the only person that can fill in this otherwise bottomless pit of neediness. Others may even devote their lives to helping you fill it in by giving you all the attention you ever could ask for, and you'll just move along to someone else or start wishing other things to fill the void. Therefore, if your needs weren't met when you needed it in the past, you will become obsessed with looking out for yourself first. You just don't have any margin left over so that you have something extra to hand out to others.

Happily, there is a cure for this, although it is not an instant one and it takes some determination to make it happen. You can only quit doing what is not working well for you once you can stand to look at the futility of your circumstances and identify what old need wasn't met that you are now trying to fill in this way. Once you come to a sense of futility about changing or going after what is past and see the person who should have given it to you through realistic lenses (neither villain nor saint), then you can move on and start trying out different ways of looking at the world and interacting with it. You develop resillience to deal with disappointments, and also get out of the old ruts that keep you doing what will make others reject you. When you quit doing things that do not work for you, it not only increases your ability to bounce back and to come up with new solutions, but it reduces feelings of aggression that are the natural product of frustration. This also clears space in your mind to focus on others and their interests or needs and build a sense of empathy and interest in them.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't help but view everything you do, including this, as a giant facade to mask some sort of insecurity. Here's why I'm not convinced you're as secure with yourself as you proclaim. It's not so much that you're self-absorbed as it is you desperately desire some form of validation. Someone genuinely self-absorbed wouldn't weigh the opinion of others so highly in relation to their own opinion of themselves. I don't believe you're truly content as you're constantly trying to have others reaffirm something that you yourself supposedly claim to already know to be true. Eventually, either through introspection or as a result of prolonged isolation, you'll learn you aren't a snowflake.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I always presumed that you have some level of narcissism to account for the self focus as it didn't seem like a result of insecurity of self doubt.

I truly believe you don't care if others accept you or not, maybe it kicks in as a defence mechanism.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is this serious? I can be pretty self absorbed, but I know to get some attention, I got to give some. Plus I'm just not that fascinating. There's only so much time I can spend listening to my mental monologue.
I mean attention whoring just isn't satisfying, because eventually every one just ignores you, especially if they don't get some thing back.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmmm....

Let's look at this situation practically. I cannot tell you why you do the things you do because only you can answer that. But I can tell you how you can practically start by not appearing as self-centered as you may seem.

12 Steps to Better Interaction:

1. As other people said, ask about others. What do they think? How do they view things? The reason for this is effective socializing involves a kind of give-and-take.

2. Never talk about yourself more than 30 seconds. Then find a question relating to what you just said to ask the other person. Then a kind of a ping-pong dialog occurs rather than you just monopolizing the conversation.

3. Don't polarize. I notice you often say in chat something to the effect of, "Why do white people listen to rap??? Can't they remember who they are and where their roots lie?" Instead, you could ask, "So how many of you like rap?" or "What kind of music do you all like?" which could then branch off to "Why do you think rap is so popular?" See how this is less polarizing? By doing it the first way, you look like you're pleading for attention at best and trying to insult or be a troll and polarize at worst.

4. Mirror the behavior of others. Look at how other people are behaving. Try to find patterns and then 'mirror' what your counterparts are doing. Not literally of course. You don't have to fold your hands when they do, and cough when they cough. What I mean is, look for general trends, and *adapt* to your fellow conversationalists.

5. Keep an open mind. There's nothing worse than someone who already has their mind made up, especially if it is a polarizing topic. What's the point in talking to someone if they are going to arrogantly uphold their standpoint with no respect for yours?

6. Do not capitalize first-person pronouns or adjectives other than "I": Although we capitalize the word "I," we do not capitalize words like "my," "mine," "myself," etc. By doing so, you make it sound like you are the most important person there is when it is not necessary.

7. Talk about harmless topics until you get to know people better. If you meet people and then start blabbing about how black people shouldn't marry white people, don't be surprised if they run in the other direction or even beat you to a pulp (with words or fists)! Leave the political banter out of the picture until you get to know someone better. Once you see how someone ticks, you can extrapolate that information and make more informed choices about topics that make people interested in you.

If you're one of those "I-don't-do-small-talk" guys, then focus on topics of immediate relevance OR something that has a positive impact on them. Or potentially could. This makes people interested in what you have to say.

8. Realize people may like you, but they have lives, too. They can't always reassure you what a wonderful person you are, especially if you are giving off the wrong signals. Instead, realize that just because people are silent, doesn't mean you're bad. ;D It just means they're busy.

9. Open body language. No one wants to socialize with someone who is constantly on the defensive, even with their body language.

10. Tailor your topics and vocab to the people you're socializing with. They're like an audience. Mold your ideas to fit the people you're talking to.

11. Don't say something just to say something. Think about what you have to say. You don't have to get attention at any price. Actually, I really listen to what the "quiet ones" have to say because usually they think things through and have really awesome contributions to make, as opposed to people like me who just rattle off at the mouth.

12. Be gracious to others in an authentic way. If you think someone has something good to say, praise them. :) People like getting validation, too, you know, just like you do.

Trust me, I am not trying to appear condescending here. I have a list because all this crap is on my list as well – these are things I really have to improve, too. ;D So just wanted to share some practical insight based on my experience.

I hope this helps. And even though this video is cheesy, it actually is pretty cool in terms of its ideas:

[YOUTUBE="2koQDCxyI6g"]Socializing for dummies ;D[/YOUTUBE]

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Since no one mentioned, I should add that your avatar and signature are giving off psychopath vibes, which doesn't help your cause.
Your avatar says ''I'm a bad guy, I'd kill people for a Chokito''
Your signature says ''I have zero regard for social norms'' + ''I am the only person worth being quoted'' + ''I don't understand the concept of punchline that makes jokes funny''
Put something more friendly. Or just neutral.;)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Since no one mentioned, I should add that your avatar and signature are giving off psychopath vibes, which doesn't help your cause.
Your avatar says ''I'm a bad guy, I'd kill people for a Chokito''
Your signature says ''I have zero regard for social norms'' + ''I am the only person worth being quoted'' + ''I don't understand the concept of punchline that makes jokes funny''
Put something more friendly. Or just neutral.;)

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, I didn't even notice that. Wow. I'm...stupid. Anyway, yes, good advice. Much more practical than mine. And easier to implement as well.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Well, since you're apparently the expert on humor, perhaps you should explain. I might actually learn something from you. My signature is actually very clever and witty. In fact, I even chuckle every time I read it. And the best part is that it's original and I am the one who conceived it. I don't really understand why people don't quote themselves more often. When they quote others, it indicates a lack of personal creativity.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Shame on you, The Ü! Trying to replicate Elfboy's narcissism thread will get you no points for creativity! :newwink:

Seriously, though: if you are looking for a relationship where you are the center of attention all the time, you're better off building a robot maid. :laugh:

Ask Johnny Bravo how many ladies he wooed successfully with that approach.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I consider it a sign of weakness and candy assedness if you don't personally reply to each an every one of these posts.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Shame on you, The Ü! Trying to replicate Elfboy's narcissism thread will get you no points for creativity! :newwink:

I haven't read Elfboy's thread, nor am I aware of its existence. So clearly, I'm not trying to replicate anything. This is a serious thread and I'm trying to learn something here.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Like others here, I feel that you asked a legitimate question looking for some personal growth but you don't seem very interested in the very applicable and useful responses. At least not so far.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
My sincere responce:

I think it's possible that you have Narcissitic Personality Disorder, and It's seen quite a bit in INTJ's.. but other types too.

FIrst, I have found some of your posts very funny, especially that hate thread =) I agreed with about 60% of your hates (and I'm sure you hate that too, lol). I also wouldn't put alot of weight on the responces your getting on a fucking forum. THe annonymity of the internet (no matter how many posts or pictures or songs you put up) is simply not a good criteria to judge by.

Basically, Narcissistic personality disorder is something that can be very difficult to treat. Most therapists that specialize in this disorder agree that it is NOT a lack of confidence or security, it is that you lack EMPATHY and connection to your fellow human beings, because you don't value them. Telling you to try to force an interest in others is not going to help your underlying problem. You will simply be further masking and also be resentful because you don't understand the real value of others.
Typically, what needs to happen is you need to find yourself a good therapist that is very familiar with treating this. This person is going to use various techniques to help you understand your true identity, and not the identity of grandoise that you've built up. See, part of having a good human connection is knowing that others love you and value you despite your vulnerabilities and imperfeactions. (Yes, you have them.. everyone does) BUt the narcissist does not really believe they have any downfalls or weaknesses, thus this acceptance or connection to others can not be established. You will never hold true value to others until you understand what they can do for you. You will value tremendously what you can't do for yourself.. but your caught in believing you can do everything for yourself. Actually, therapists rarely treat narcissism head on, as a disorder.. and usually try to work with you on all the symtpoms of the disorder. Like how this is affecting your life.

A true narcissist will not admit to their problem until the their lives fall to pieces and time and time again they do not receive what they want from others.. the evidence becomes OVERWHELMING that perhaps it is not the "others" but it is infact you. You can no longer ignore the pattern of failed relations, and this can be with co-workers, fellow students, bosses, family members, friends, you get it.

I really hope you are not trolling. If this is an issue for you, grab it by the balls now, while you are young. Think about how much better and happier you will feel when you have overcome this problem. People do it all the time. It is very difficult to shatter this grandoise image you've built, but you will be soo much happier seeing yourself in a more objective light, and learning how to connect with others.

Good luck!

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, since you're apparently the expert on humor, perhaps you should explain. I might actually learn something from you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch_line
My signature is actually very clever and witty.
By your exotic standards?
In fact, I even chuckle every time I read it.
You could be apreciating other people's jokes once in a while, just to vary a little. Don't you ever get tired of your own?
And the best part is that it's original and I am the one who conceived it.
:bored:
I don't really understand why people don't quote themselves more often.
Because it subcommunicates:
a) you need aproval, a single fact that makes it socially inept by most people's standards.
b) you have a big ego and perhaps think you are some kind of modern Nietzsche or Einstein or whatever.
When they quote others, it indicates a lack of personal creativity.
Imagine how great things would be if everyone quoted just themselves.:mellow: Usually you can quote people and insert some of your own ideas. That's how people talk. Someone offers something to talk about and you either talk about it or remain silent. You aren't supposed to create a sub-thread within the thread babbling poorly related things and expect people are gonna pay attention. Imagine you are on a topic about ''how religion affects people's lives'' and someone stomps in saying ''god doesn't exist''.
Which is the best option?
a) ignore him
b) tell him what do you think about his statement and risk starting a snowball effect that would ultimately derail the thread

Last edited:

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx

Okay, so he might be compensatory. Eitherway, it is very dangerous to SHATTER the image of either, and should be delt with by an expert that can decide which one he is, and go from there. Other people (especially forumers, cmon!) should not take a role of smacking down his identity, in hopes of helping him see more clearly. First, no one really knows him, 2nd- I doubt it would even work (maybe) and third he needs to develop a relationship and rapport with a therapist that can do this while teaching him to build a stronger and more ojective identity.

Ofcourse, this is just my opinion, another forumer lol.. so take it with a grain.

rav3n

Okay, so he might be compensatory. Eitherway, it is very dangerous to SHATTER the image of either, and should be delt with by an expert that can decide which one he is, and go from there. Other people (especially forumers, cmon!) should not take a role of smacking down his identity, in hopes of helping him see more clearly. First, no one really knows him, 2nd- I doubt it would even work (maybe) and third he needs to develop a relationship and rapport with a therapist that can do this while teaching him to build a stronger and more ojective identity.

Ofcourse, this is just my opinion, another forumer lol.. so take it with a grain.
Strange. The quote notification didn't work and this is the first time you're quoting me in this thread. Did you do anything different?

IF he does have NPD which I'm not qualified to diagnose, it won't matter. That's part of the problem of why individuals with NPD are near impossible to cure. Their delusions of grandeur as defense mechanisms will cause them to reject any possibility of having a personality disorder.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Strange. The quote notification didn't work and this is the first time you're quoting me in this thread. Did you do anything different?

IF he does have NPD which I'm not qualified to diagnose, it won't matter. That's part of the problem of why individuals with NPD are near impossible to cure. Their delusions of grandeur as defense mechanisms will cause them to reject any possibility of having a personality disorder.

Nope, just replied to quote. I suspected it was an experiment to bring together and seperate certain forumers, and clearly your on the B-team :D

The question of NPD being cureable is still up in the air. I would never discourage anyone from trying to better themselves, and there are indeed people with NPD that seek out treatment. It's just usually people who have spent alot of their lives dealing with failure after failure (with connection) that it reaches a point where they must consider they have a problem. It can be difficult to treat, like BPD.. but not impossible. The earlier the therapuetic intervention, the better prognosis.. which Is why I'm telling him to grab it by the balls NOW if he really thinks he has a problem.
"A correct diagnosis and a proper mix of treatment modalities in early adolescence guarantees success without relapse in anywhere between one third and one half the cases. Additionally, ageing ameliorates or even vanquishes some antisocial behaviors."

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_narcissists_be_cured#ixzz1Rjq92It7