• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What are values for NTs?

gandalf

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hi,

In tests, I score INTx. Reading the type descriptions, there should be no doubt that I am clearly a T.

Nevertheless, I often find myself considering soft values a lot more than NTs seem to do. Yet I realize that as a contrast to NFs, I rather consider values as something that affect my logical conclusions than as a playground of feelings. Or perhaps I have feelings based on those values and I give those feelings quite a lot of weight in my logical processing.

This makes me wonder what are the core differences between NTs and NFs when it comes to values. How can it be that in one way see a lot of F in myself while I still think it's the T in me that makes the final decisions. The F effect is most evident when it comes to assumed feelings of other people as reaction to my actions.

Any thoughts?

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'd like to point out that simply having a feeling function in the tertiary or inferior location does not mean your feelings are any less important. I'm an INTP, putting my Extraverted Feeling in the inferior position. What this usually means for me is that my feelings are either black or white before being translated and filtered through my thoughts. I tend to feel very strongly about certain issues (gay rights for example), and get riled up very easily when someone dismisses them. I can be quite the passionate individual, both as a lover and as a (verbal) fighter.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think of values as one of many inputs to a logical, thinking-based process. They help you identify why you have certain goals, what your priorities are, what is important. It sounds like your values are there, you recognize them, evaluate them, and integrate them into the decision. All normal.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
People who care about internal morals/values tend to be Fi types, that doesn't mean that Fe types can't or don't, it just seems to be more of a motivating factor for Fi types, question INTJ for yourself.

Values should be divided by Fi/Fe not T v F, Fi is about an internally driven moral values system, Fe is about a more communal and external driven one.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I limit my own values so I can make myself more efficient. Values often contradict so they only hinder me. Survival is my greatest value.

In terms of type, values are a matter of likelihood, not certainty. F's are more likely to have more values than T's.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
normal_1204487472_endlich_freitag_homer.jpg

xisnotx

Permabanned
I think (emphasis on think) that an F's ultimate goal is to make "everyone happy/content/satisfied" while a T's ultimate goal is to make "everything make sense, which in turn should make everyone happy". The goals are the same, but the way they go about it is different.

Everyone has feelings..being T doesn't exempt you from feeling emotion.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fi is related to internal morals and values based on emotion. But I think Ti can also contribute to the creation of internal values and morals but based on 'logic' (bracketed because it's still subjective in nature).

I have quite some morals, standards, principles and whatnot that I find extremely important for myself. At first I thought it was Fi when I was knew to MBTI and even considered being INFP because of it , on cognative function tests my Fi scored pretty high, but the INFP description just felt off somehow and I didn't really relate, but when I started delving into the MBTI test questions and the reasons I had for giving the answers I gave in contrast to the motivation of the questions themselves (which is a sign of being a Ti dom, ironically). I came to realize my Fi probably isn't all that great after all, and the answers to those Fi based questions were rooted into my own Ti. Plainly put that is.

Might be the same for you, might not, I don't know. But might be worth looking into so you can find your answers.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
my values are money, bitches and hoes

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hi,

In tests, I score INTx. Reading the type descriptions, there should be no doubt that I am clearly a T.

Nevertheless, I often find myself considering soft values a lot more than NTs seem to do. Yet I realize that as a contrast to NFs, I rather consider values as something that affect my logical conclusions than as a playground of feelings. Or perhaps I have feelings based on those values and I give those feelings quite a lot of weight in my logical processing.

This makes me wonder what are the core differences between NTs and NFs when it comes to values. How can it be that in one way see a lot of F in myself while I still think it's the T in me that makes the final decisions. The F effect is most evident when it comes to assumed feelings of other people as reaction to my actions.

Any thoughts?

I especially relate to the bolded part. I suppose NTs would 'value' intellectual mastery more than NFs?

I limit my own values so I can make myself more efficient. Values often contradict so they only hinder me. Survival is my greatest value.

In terms of type, values are a matter of likelihood, not certainty. F's are more likely to have more values than T's.

I'm not sure if F's are more likely to have values than T's. I would think that F's would be more likely to primarily rely on values as a means of decision making.

I'm not clear on what you mean by values are a matter of likelihood, not certainty. Do you that you don't feel certain as to the validity of your own values or something else?

Fi is related to internal morals and values based on emotion. But I think Ti can also contribute to the creation of internal values and morals but based on 'logic' (bracketed because it's still subjective in nature).

I have quite some morals, standards, principles and whatnot that I find extremely important for myself. At first I thought it was Fi when I was knew to MBTI and even considered being INFP because of it , on cognative function tests my Fi scored pretty high, but the INFP description just felt off somehow and I didn't really relate, but when I started delving into the MBTI test questions and the reasons I had for giving the answers I gave in contrast to the motivation of the questions themselves (which is a sign of being a Ti dom, ironically). I came to realize my Fi probably isn't all that great after all, and the answers to those Fi based questions were rooted into my own Ti. Plainly put that is.

Might be the same for you, might not, I don't know. But might be worth looking into so you can find your answers.

I relate quite a bit to INFP descriptions and still wonder from time to time if INFP is actually a better fit, yet functionwise I don't think I'm a dominant Fi. I'm probably not even an "Fi user."

rav3n

If you're putting values before logic and facts more or most often in your decision-making, you might want to rethink the T dichotomy. It's not like most F-dichotomy users don't have or use T abilities.

auphix7

MBTI Type
INTP
I think where NTs and NFs differ is their orientation to their values.

From what I know, NTs are more impersonal about their values, so they can more easily adopt one value for a while and then change or drop it later on if it no longer makes sense according to their logic. NTs behave according to logical frameworks. So if suddenly a value doesn’t make sense to an NT, they will either change the value to fit in with what’s in their mind or discard it.

NFs, on the other hand, take a more personal approach, using their values to shape their interactions with the outside world. They are thus less likely to let go of their values since their behavior is often driven by them, based on what they ‘sense’ to be right or wrong for any given experience, situation, idea, etc.

I can think of many times when I’ve felt strongly about something, but then talk to someone who has a completely different way of looking at it, and changed my values accordingly. When I find that my values are being challenged in a conversation, I find that I try to pose them as arguments rather than personal values or opinions. What I believe is often what I think is to be the “truth” of a situation, or at least the closest to it that I can think of. So if my values are challenged, I have realized that I can still feel passionate and get worked up about it, but I end up reflecting on any new information that comes forth so that I can re-evaluate what I am standing for.

It would be cool to hear about an NF's experience with values. From interacting with people who are NFs, I've noticed that when they feel strongly about something, hold values, it seems pretty near impossible to get them to change their mind on it. But that's when dealing with conflict. A lot of NF values deal with positive things such as connecting with other people and being helpful. But I think NTs can have the exact same values as NFs, just approach and think about them in a different way.

Hope I didn't bore you, just got a little excited about thinking about this topic. Thanks for starting the thread :)

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
People who care about internal morals/values tend to be Fi types, that doesn't mean that Fe types can't or don't, it just seems to be more of a motivating factor for Fi types, question INTJ for yourself.

Values should be divided by Fi/Fe not T v F, Fi is about an internally driven moral values system, Fe is about a more communal and external driven one.

Exactly.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not sure if F's are more likely to have values than T's. I would think that F's would be more likely to primarily rely on values as a means of decision making.

The more focused you are on your value system(F function) as oppose to your logical system(T function), in terms of decision making, the more pronounced your values are. More reliant on T means less pronounced values. Reaching a certain arbitrary point in your level of preference for T could mean reaching a point wherein your least valued object becomes completely not valued.

I'm not clear on what you mean by values are a matter of likelihood, not certainty. Do you mean that you don't feel certain as to the validity of your own values or something else?

No. just saying that different people have different attitudes towards their values. that it's difficult to generalize this aspect of reality.

five

MBTI Type
ZZZZ
Enneagram
5w6
  • Honesty/Truthfulness
  • Integrity
  • Accuracy
  • Realism
  • Objectiveness

gandalf

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think where NTs and NFs differ is their orientation to their values.

From what I know, NTs are more impersonal about their values, so they can more easily adopt one value for a while and then change or drop it later on if it no longer makes sense according to their logic. NTs behave according to logical frameworks. So if suddenly a value doesn’t make sense to an NT, they will either change the value to fit in with what’s in their mind or discard it.

NFs, on the other hand, take a more personal approach, using their values to shape their interactions with the outside world. They are thus less likely to let go of their values since their behavior is often driven by them, based on what they ‘sense’ to be right or wrong for any given experience, situation, idea, etc.

I can think of many times when I’ve felt strongly about something, but then talk to someone who has a completely different way of looking at it, and changed my values accordingly. When I find that my values are being challenged in a conversation, I find that I try to pose them as arguments rather than personal values or opinions. What I believe is often what I think is to be the “truth” of a situation, or at least the closest to it that I can think of. So if my values are challenged, I have realized that I can still feel passionate and get worked up about it, but I end up reflecting on any new information that comes forth so that I can re-evaluate what I am standing for.

It would be cool to hear about an NF's experience with values. From interacting with people who are NFs, I've noticed that when they feel strongly about something, hold values, it seems pretty near impossible to get them to change their mind on it. But that's when dealing with conflict. A lot of NF values deal with positive things such as connecting with other people and being helpful. But I think NTs can have the exact same values as NFs, just approach and think about them in a different way.

Hope I didn't bore you, just got a little excited about thinking about this topic. Thanks for starting the thread :)

Thanks for very interesting an answer! And as for this thread, you are welcome :) I'd like to see more of alikes on this forum but it seems that they are more concentrated on the NF area...

Well, back to the values, then...

Most of my core values are founded on very strong logical thoughts. Therefore, I guess they are quite T'ish. One reason I am wondering the difference of the T and F might be that I surprisingly often find myself compromising my personal interests in the name of my somewhat non-selfish values.

I just sometimes feel that what I would be up to do wouldn't be right considering what it might cause to others (and I am talking about some very non-selfish things now, not normal sociability) and even though my logic says that most people just wouldn't care, I can't help caring and I usually end up putting my feelings before the logic. And yet I really don't think I am being too nice in general...

It would definitely be interesting to read comments from NFs as well.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes. People talk about T and F, values and logic, as if they and their use can be neatly deconvolved from each other. They cannot. Everyone uses every function, and they all work together, sometimes well and sometimes not so well. Logic is a process, while values are inputs to the process, like facts, emotions, ideas, etc. The connection your post makes is that values are sometimes shaped by the application of logic, just as logic is influenced by the application of values. It is all tied together. The importance of each contribution and the manner in which they occur will differ for F and T types, and of course from person to person.

A

Anew Leaf

Brief thoughts via values and being an NF with Fi (which is what INTJs have):

• My value system is still subject to logic, but what my "gut" tells me will carry more weight than just plain ole facts.
  • The more "extreme" a situation, the more I will relay primarily on my value system to guide me.
  • My value system has changed enormously in the past few years. Gotta clean house sometime! :)
  • I feel more comfortable making a less than optimal choice using my intuition than making a choice via just plain logic.