• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs - what do you do for a living?

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
Title says it all really! What do the INTPs here (or the INTPs related to posters here ;)) do for a living?

I'm a systems analyst writing software requirements. Lots of big-picture, analytical, process-flow work.

What's your dream job?
Probably therapist/shrink; research psychologist; author; musician; or criminologist.

What's your worst nightmare?
Accounting or sales

I can tell you about sales btw. I work at a call center selling magazines. I got fired this week. The last week I made 5-7 sales a day. Working 8 hour shifts. I loved the pressure, its quite a difficult job. You really learn to pull yourself up. As the site manager said to us call centers live on "No" or "Im not interested", so you really have to be mentally strong, when you sit there for 2 hours and all you get is "No" even how hard you try. I actually liked it, even if I sucked at it. If you took the me from just a year ago, I would have given up after a week and stopped coming there because of all the pressure and what other ridiculous excuse I told myself back then.

My dream job would be R&D in some sort of form.

Worst case scenario: None.

Being constantly watched and micromanaged.

Lack of clear expectations. One time I got a poor performance review that could have been easily avoided had the expectations been more spelled out.

Employees being treated unfairly. Favoritism.

Not knowing the reasons why for things.

Jobs requiring a heavy degree of physical exertion to the point of discomfort or compromising my health.

I took out the points I would agree with beyond my own answer ;)

Last edited:

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What do you currently do?
I have a law degree. Currently I'm solely studying to become a lawyer with a government paycheck. Not a very exciting job, but it pays nicely in Brazil.
What's your dream job?
I wanna run an hedge fund.
Being micromanaged is one of the worst situations, specially when your boss has NPD. Been there. :wacko:
Any job that would force me to spend the whole day on the phone would be pretty bad too.

N

NPcomplete

What I do right now: grad student/lab rat

Dream job: my dreams change constantly (and so do the things I want to do). I would love to be an inventor/explorer.

Nightmare: Being controlled, having to follow silly rules, repetitive jobs, having to smile and "be nice" to people all day long without any time to think by myself etc

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Love the answers so far! Very different but you can see a theme running through many of them. Totally agree with everyone who put down retail and sales for nightmare jobs :shock:. Keep 'em coming!

amazingdatagirl

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Systems analyst for a small company. If it requires programming logic then I do it. Lots of variety - client side, server side, 3-4 RDBMS. I stopped counting the number of machine languages (both compiled and interpreted) that I have had to learn. Each business interest within the main holding company has it's own processing software and operating rules.

I wear a lot of hats on the job (not the tin-foil variety). Webmaster, DBA, systems integrator. I even take routine help desk calls if the PC/network guy isn't around. For the past couple of weeks, I have been the SEO "expert" (boss guy wants to improve our page ranking for highly competitive search phrases).

What's your dream job?
I guess this is my dream job. My employer gives me a lot of autonomy. Since I am the only developer on payroll, the boss seems to value my input when it comes to decisionmaking. Would prefer to work for a company with greater job security. More money and better benefits would be nice, of course. Thankfully, my husband is vested in a state retirement plan because I have none.

Teaching remedial mathematics in a public high school. I maintain my state educator's license just in case I get laid off from the IT job. Being 50-something and unemployed, that would be a nightmare.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My INTP is an aerospace engineer, and can't imagine a better job. Worst job nightmare might be anything with lots of in-the-moment personal interaction, like retail sales/customer service; or anything with excessive travel or micromanagement.

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
Retail.

What's your dream job?
Not retail.

Retail.

Ah, I feel your pain. In high school I worked at a JC Penny, where I had an idiot try to claim that because she had been hired three months before me, she had seniority over me and could tell me what to do (which usually involved some kind of not-our-job duty like dusting). Even worse, it was lingerie and we had to do free fittings, and I reeeeeally don't like touching strangers. Shudder.

To the point:

Physicist in training.

What's your dream job?
If it must be gainful employment... I guess head of a university physics department (somewhere warm and with an actual night-life). If not, I'd rather be the independently wealthy gentlewoman-scientist that also has lots of time for fun hobbies and the occasional philanthropic project.

Going to have to go with retail.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP

I am a geochemist who works in the area of environmental assesment and remediation of contamination.

What's your dream job?

A job where I am part of a small team that flys out to "fight fires" - assess serious environmental problems, flys home and waits for the next problem.

Be a manager of a business activity supervising a a bunch of people who hate there jobs and being forced to spend half my week in various and assorted meetings. Been there, done it, wanted to hang myself.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I'm a student. I study philosophy. I'm looking into various grad school programs I would like to get into. Anything from political science to math.
What's your dream job?
Honestly, I don't care about my career as long as it gets me where I want to go. The way I see it, jobs are for suckers. My job is to not have a job, and still be able to live the life I want to. IE..my job is to retire as quickly as possible so I can actually start living life how I want to...
I end up living a regular middle class life. I honestly rather be poor..