• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Ask Jim Anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I have been doing a little experiment to see if I can see who's doing what - I have 6 mods in six different tabs. It's just not possible; the mods who are visible are visible, the ones who are invisible are invisible - I do not get any message on my screen that indicates otherwise. I can't see they are online, I can't see what thread they are looking at, nada. Nothing. Not at all.

I have compassion for your sense of being persecuted, and would willingly examine evidence to provide a third-party neutral perspective, but I am getting such a bad, bad vibe here, things are not adding up.

How do you see invisible people on the forum? How?

Did you crash the server last night? Or did your "foes"?

I too want to help if I can, but things feel very wrong to me.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:laugh: hey, you're not allowed to respond until i'm done editing.

you're right. sorry, that was an objective statement. i'm used to dealing with Fe doms from whom that would be a "screw you" response.

apologies if you've already stated this, but what, exactly, do you think the solution to this should be? some kind of clear, delineated rules for what is "on" topic and what is "off", and when posts will be removed? i would appreciate that, as a member of the typoc community.

i have already talked about my own feelings of "off-topicness". i don't understand it. it's bizarre to me for a conversation to be spliced just because it naturally develops and changes. obviously trolling and harassment is a different case. and it is not clear when things will be spliced and when not. but, not my forum.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Jim, here's a question: why the hell does this form keep getting hacked? what are the motivations of the hackers and who are these hackers you talk about in your previous post.:dry:

The people who hacked this forum did it because they could. They hacked PersonalityNation because they wanted to, they then decided to have fun with this forum because one of the admins used the same password for their account here as on PersonalityNation. The individual who hacked the forum is a person I have recommended banning from forums in the past and his friend who was playing with him is a Moderator on PersonalityCafe.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
I have been doing a little experiment to see if I can who's doing what - I have 6 mods in six different tabs. It's just not possible; the mods who are visible are visible, the ones who are invisible are invisible - I do not get message on my screen that indicates otherwise. I can't see they are online, I can't see what thread they are looking at, nada. Nothing. Not at all.

I have compassion for your sense of being persecuted, and would willingly examine evidence to provide a third-party neutral perspective, but I am getting such a bad, bad vibe here, things are not adding up.

How do you see invisible people on the forum? How?

Did you crash the server last night? Or did your "foes"?

I too want to help if I can, but things feel very wrong to me.

It is dependent on the number of people viewing this thread. If I see the number of users viewing this thread change from '1' to '2' on the minute that a moderator changes their page view and the forum is not bust at that time (less than 20 members signed in) the chances are in favour that they are viewing this thread. There is no such thing as co-incidence. This ties back to the discussion regarding that there is 'chance' that leprechauns exist, but the likelihood that they do is close enough to zero that it is fair to state that they do not.

I didn't crash the server, nor have I ever done so.

I prefer if people do what they want, other people receive value from this forum I do not and I don't blame them for taking their own decisions. The mere fact that many people have contacted me to agree with me and also are now stating it openly provides me with more fuel to keep 'em firing than anything else.

:laugh: hey, you're not allowed to respond until i'm done editing.

you're right. sorry, that was an objective statement. i'm used to dealing with Fe doms from whom that would be a "screw you" response.

apologies if you've already stated this, but what, exactly, do you think the solution to this should be? some kind of clear, delineated rules for what is "on" topic and what is "off", and when posts will be removed? i would appreciate that, as a member of the typoc community.

i have already talked about my own feelings of "off-topicness". i don't understand it. it's bizarre to me for a conversation to be spliced just because it naturally develops and changes. obviously trolling and harassment is a different case. and it is not clear when things will be spliced and when not. but, not my forum.

That's alright! ENFP management is my specialty.

Yes some clear standards and consequences should be set, but its more than off-topicness that is rotten. Have a look at Discobiscuits. A gentleman banned for being 'rude' being misconstrued into 'insulting', nothing has ever been done about anyone being 'rude' to Discobiscuits. This will simply lead the biased dealt individual pushing back stronger and harder. The system should not choose sides, the system should be fair to all.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
The people who hacked this forum did it because they could. They hacked PersonalityNation because they wanted to, they then decided to have fun with this forum because one of the admins used the same password for their account here as on PersonalityNation. The individual who hacked the forum are people I have recommended banning from forums in the past his friend is a Moderator on PersonalityCafe.

I notice this site shuts down frequently and sometimes for weeks, is that because the site had been hacked or because the site is going through maintenance? I know the last big shutdown was a hack.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
I notice this site shuts down frequently and sometimes for weeks, is that because the site had been hacked or because the site is going through maintenance? I know the last big shutdown was a hack.

More recently it has been due to hacking. I think this morning the AJAX cache blew up (VB4.0 is a devil for AJAX crashing things) and no-one was around to hit the reset button on the server.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes, I agree it is inconsistent. What is at issue here is the conclusion that specific people are targeted for persecution.

yeah. i can't make any call on that.

i think it's a decent point that, because of inconsistency, certain members will be acted against more. and because of the staff's completely unintentional personal biases, it may well end up being certain groups of viewpoints more so than others. i tend to trust NJ analysis of patterns, even if not conclusions; if jim says there has been more action against INTJ posts, i am inclined to believe that - if only because INTJs do tend to be quite blunt and narrow (not always in a bad way, of course, that also translates into objective and focused), and i can see that raising ire.

as for intentional, perhaps occasionally. for the majority of times, i would guess no. probably unintentional but creating a pattern that is longstanding enough to be significant.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
yeah. i can't make any call on that.

The rational thing to do, as I pointed out to Haight, would be to assign an obsudsman to review staff decision making, this a consequence of the admins treating the moderators as friends rather than ensuring a standard across all moderators.

However being an auditor is an unpopular and difficult seat to be in, those being reviewed need to be willing to trust and respect the auditor as do those who employ said auditor. It is also a substantial workload to monitor the activities of many different individuals and to stop staff taking shortcuts which make their jobs 'easier' but make their decisions untraceable. For a great example of this see the 'Why was my thread moved' feedback from Savage Idealist.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
More recently it has been due to hacking. I think this morning the AJAX cache blew up (VB4.0 is a devil for AJAX crashing things) and no-one was around to hit the reset button on the server.

InvisibleJim what happened to the balloon bunnies?:D

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I know the brain has that blood-brain barrier as a protection. What does the heart have? All blood passes through the heart, and so many diseases/infections travel via the blood highway.
Good point. The heart is actually infected more frequently than we realize. Muscles respond to pathogenic attacks differently than the delicate linings of the lungs and kidneys. Ignoring infection of the exterior membrane covering the heart (pericarditis), and the internal structure (endocarditis), one estimate shows that up to 5% of acute viral infections (such as the flu) also affect the heart muscle itself (myocarditis). We don't notice it, and nobody wants to do (or receive!) a biopsy unless it's causing a problem with heart function.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The rational thing to do, as I pointed out to Haight, would be to assign an obsudsman to review staff decision making, this a consequence of the admins treating the moderators as friends rather than ensuring a standard across all moderators.

However being an auditor is an unpopular and difficult seat to be in, those being reviewed need to be willing to trust and respect the auditor as do those who employ said auditor. It is also a substantial workload to monitor the activities of many different individuals and to stop staff taking shortcuts which make their jobs 'easier' but make their decisions untraceable. For a great example of this see the 'Why was my thread moved' feedback from Savage Idealist.

indeed, it would be. i have actually provided that position before for a group IRL i was a part of. it was not an easy nor pleasant thing, though now reflecting upon my type it probably was a poor match. i just stepped in because i was needed.

the other thing i could see doing would be to have a clear, consistent ruleset published, and then it would be relatively apparent to anyone when things have gone wrong.

or a mod review board? more than one person. several people. mods and non-mods, for as much fairness as possible. for more than one perspective.

the question that lingers is whether anyone in charge would be open to ideas such as these. if there is no perceived problem, then...

A

Anew Leaf

Good point. The heart is actually infected more frequently than we realize. Muscles respond to pathogenic attacks differently than the delicate linings of the lungs and kidneys. Ignoring infection of the exterior membrane covering the heart (pericarditis), and the internal structure (endocarditis), one estimate shows that up to 5% of acute viral infections (such as the flu) also affect the heart muscle itself (myocarditis). We don't notice it, and nobody wants to do (or receive!) a biopsy unless it's causing a problem with heart function.

Interesting. Is this a piece of why heart infections are so deadly? Ie, by the time you realize it is infected, you're near toast?

I wonder how difficult it would be to engineer a second heart as a redundancy system into an organism like a human body. Or if the very nature of trying this, make it pointless, since that organ would have to be hooked up to the same vessels as the original heart... the only thing that it would really accomplish would be to be a backup system for a defective heart... and that might be where darwinism needs to come in so that a genetic predisposition in having a terrible heart prime.

And that's how my Ne thinks. With lots of "...".

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Therefore, you have four possible outcomes open to you.

a) You can ignore this conversation and leave in perpetual bliss.
b) You can investigate and ignore the evidence and leave in perpetual bliss.
c) You can investigate and decided that the this is 'par for the course' and 'fair' when considering the treatment of others and therefore concede that the moderation is a complete failure
d) You can investigate and decide that this is specifically biased and that this is a least worst option to c.

Enjoy. Consider that I can only enjoy Options C and D. Aren't I a very nice member that I do not consider the moderation to be a complete failure, merely a biased one? As Saturned whispers: 'Optimist'.

I missed this edit.

Upon further consideration I am going with

e) You can investigate and decide that this is 'par for the course' and 'fair' when considering the treatment of others and therefore concede that the moderation is pretty much normal for human behavior in these situations

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm a 1st class masters post-graduate chemical and processing engineer. The only higher academic achievements I could have would be a doctorate and then to hold a professorship.

I've been an engineer developing greenfield redeveloping existing brownfield oil fields at the conceptual level and building up development plans which are now entering production for several years.

I once spent 3 months looking at over 600-700 well test samples and pvt analysis of petrochemical properties for one of the most mature oilfields in the middle east and how they correlated to minimum miscibility pressure then running statistical and stochastic analysis to give best fit guesses across the field and also proving the statistical relevance of what was measured which was then reviewed by the technical boards of several multinationals who are full of doctorates from MIT/ICL and technical experts. Yes, I know plenty of things about statistics in both theory and in the real world and it has been peer tested and reviewed thoroughly.
:)

What, if anything, do you relish in your occupation? Put another way, is there anything you love about this work particularly? If so, what is that, and why do you think it makes you feel that way?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I wouldn't have a problem with you taking guesses, except you speak with enough presumed authority that you might confuse people. So, I'll clarify this one: No, it wasn't actually a tech issue.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Interesting. Is this a piece of why heart infections are so deadly? Ie, by the time you realize it is infected, you're near toast?

I wonder how difficult it would be to engineer a second heart as a redundancy system into an organism like a human body. Or if the very nature of trying this, make it pointless, since that organ would have to be hooked up to the same vessels as the original heart... the only thing that it would really accomplish would be to be a backup system for a defective heart... and that might be where darwinism needs to come in so that a genetic predisposition in having a terrible heart prime.

The problem with this would be that to balance the pressure of blood flowing through the system without causing damage or an unusual pressure profile it would have to be designed into the optimum point in the system. It would also be questionable if why there are so few people dying from sudden heart failure before propogating to make it evolutionarily not optimal/adaptive why it would actually have any real tangible benefit.

:)

What, if anything, do you relish in your occupation? Put another way, is there anything you love about this work particularly? If so, what is that, and why do you think it makes you feel that way?

I like getting involved in big projects with a solid impact on society and pushing them through to a highly safe, efficient and economic standard.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP

Yes, there's not much room for seeing how well a treatment is working.

Your idea is a good one, as long as having a pulse isn't a requirement. ;)

Edit: The ECG waveforms of a nonfunctional or fatally inefficient heartbeat are pretty straightforward and easy to detect with software. The redundant heart could also be configured to kick in fully or partially based on these and abnormal pressures, partially resolving the pressure issue InvisibleJim mentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.