• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Ask Jim Anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anew Leaf

An interesting question! Technically 'most' of these apparent ineffiencies are efficent. e.g. we can 'survive' with one eye but two eyes provide depth perspection and an appreciation of 3D. Or say? Why have 4 fingers and 1 thumb when 3 fingers and 1 thumb is fine? Because there is an evolutionary advantage in being able to lose a finger but still function! Evolutionary enough for the 4th finger to survive and thrive, but not enough for 5!

Interesting response.

The main crucial systems I see are the brain and heart. But perhaps I am considering them more crucial because there is only one of them. Whereas organs like the Kidneys and lungs have a twin to take over as needed.

Perhaps it simply comes down to efficient use of space and resources? I know that the brain takes up an insane amount of resources compared to everything else.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Interesting response.

The main crucial systems I see are the brain and heart. But perhaps I am considering them more crucial because there is only one of them. Whereas organs like the Kidneys and lungs have a twin to take over as needed.

Perhaps it simply comes down to efficient use of space and resources? I know that the brain takes up an insane amount of resources compared to everything else.

When considering the duplication of kidneys and lungs, both are prone to infection. The heart and the brain are not!

A

Anew Leaf

When considering the duplication of kidneys and lungs, both are prone to infection. The heart and the brain are not!

Ah, that makes sense!

I know the brain has that blood-brain barrier as a protection. What does the heart have? All blood passes through the heart, and so many diseases/infections travel via the blood highway.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
What I am saying is:

• You are both "right" from your own perspective.
  • You are missing the points he is making with his Ni, and that is causing this "discussion" to stagnate into Ti "This is illogical" and Ni "I have stated this abstract internal concept as externally as I possibly can."

I see a disconnect between both of you attempting to externalize your internal mode of processing to each other. I don't think IJ is trying to be as obtuse as he is coming off in his responses, Mac, I think that is how Ni operates. (I will be the first in line to say that I don't fully grasp what Ni is and does, so I am fully admitting to shooting in the dark here.)

TL;DR: It's a pointless argument about nothing. On. The. Internet.

The problem with INTJs is they only formulate one assesment of a situation. When an INTP then tells the INTJ "No thats not right" The usually default for INTJs is to magically also state it as facts, without realizing all the INTP wanted was a rephrase. (Its the same idea when INTP comes up with the idea first and the INTJ/XXXX critique it by using facts, "deductions" or the best one "thats just how it is" usually the INTP is not pushing for their own point of view by saying "No, I dont think thats right" but want the other person to truly voice their own thoughts and oppinions. Quoting a book is an insult to the INTP and the person quoting.)

A

Anew Leaf

The problem with INTJs is they only formulate one assesment of a situation. When an INTP then tells the INTJ "No thats not right" The usually default for INTJs is to magically also state it as facts, without realizing all the INTP wanted was a rephrase. (Its the same idea when INTP comes up with the idea first and the INTJ/XXXX critique it by using facts, "deductions" or the best one "thats just how it is" usually the INTP is not pushing for their own point of view by saying "No, I dont think thats right" but want the other person to truly voice their own thoughts and oppinions. Quoting a book is an insult to the INTP and the person quoting.)

I get what you are saying because I operate similarly as an INFP.

What I see is that both sides are complaining about how the other one operates with a "why can't he communicate to me via my preferred mode?" attitude. That is going to get you both exactly to where you are currently: The Land of Impasse, Population: Too Many To Count.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not when my posts are moved and molested explicitly without the request of other users. Therefore, no, you do not require a report for my business get interfered with.

That's two different situations. How does the fact a mod takes initiative a few times, suddenly mean they see and understand what you want done with every post?

When I was admin, I ignored somewhere around 98% of off-topic posts, despite the fact I created the off-topic thread to move them to. Without a complaint, I rarely moved anything, preferring to ignore it. That is, if I actually read them, I skim many posts.

Given that:

Therefore the answer to your question:

Is that I feel persecuted because I have seen evidence that routinely shows I have been dealt with unfairly.

Why are you so certain treatment of that specific post is evidence of persecution and not simply inattention or laziness? Why does that warrant the conclusion of persecution? Is it possible you are wrong in this specific instance and simply came to your conclusion from your own bias?

Doesn't a paranoid think that everyone is out to get him/her based on the most innocuous social exchanges?

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Ah, that makes sense!

I know the brain has that blood-brain barrier as a protection. What does the heart have? All blood passes through the heart, and so many diseases/infections travel via the blood highway.

And so do lots of white blood cells!

Why are you so certain treatment of that specific post is evidence of persecution and not simply inattention or laziness? Why does that warrant the conclusion of persecution? Is it possible you are wrong in this specific instance and simply came to your conclusion from your own bias?

Doesn't a paranoid think that everyone is out to get him/her based on the most innocuous social exchanges?

I have already provided evidence from the staff saying they are unwilling to do anything about it. Did you actually read my posts? If it's a one way dialogue with you talking but not hearing then you can jog on, because there is no point asking a question if you don't care to listen to the answer.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
I get what you are saying because I operate similarly as an INFP.

What I see is that both sides are complaining about how the other one operates with a "why can't he communicate to me via my preferred mode?" attitude. That is going to get you both exactly to where you are currently: The Land of Impasse, Population: Too Many To Count.

Yes to the last I can see that. And I understand that sometimes one should understand what one is really asking for before going "No, thats not right" And say "Please rephrase that because Im not going to accept what you just said". True.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have already provided evidence from the staff saying they are unwilling to do anything about it. Did you actually read my posts? If it's a one way dialogue with you talking but not hearing then you can jog on, because there is no point asking a question if you don't care to listen to the answer.

With that specific post?

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
With that specific post?

Yes. I could also point you to several posts from Jennifer or Kasper on your request. However, since you are unwilling to consider 1 datapoint is greater than 0 datapoints, I see little value in providing you 1,000,000 datapoints against the time I would have to invest to do so. If you wish to find the evidence you will. If you do not you won't. I'm not going to play mailman at a measurable opportunity cost.

Therefore, you have four possible outcomes open to you.

a) You can ignore this conversation and leave in perpetual bliss.
b) You can investigate and ignore the evidence and leave in perpetual bliss.
c) You can investigate and decided that the this is 'par for the course' and 'fair' when considering the treatment of others and therefore concede that the moderation is a complete failure
d) You can investigate and decide that this is specifically biased and that this is a least worst option to c.

Enjoy. Consider that I can only enjoy Options C and D. Aren't I a very nice member that I do not consider the moderation to be a complete failure, merely a biased one? As Saturned whispers: 'Optimist'.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What I am saying is:

• You are both "right" from your own perspective.
  • You are missing the points he is making with his Ni, and that is causing this "discussion" to stagnate into Ti "This is illogical" and Ni "I have stated this abstract internal concept as externally as I possibly can."

I see a disconnect between both of you attempting to externalize your internal mode of processing to each other. I don't think IJ is trying to be as obtuse as he is coming off in his responses, Mac, I think that is how Ni operates. (I will be the first in line to say that I don't fully grasp what Ni is and does, so I am fully admitting to shooting in the dark here.)

yes.

jim, i think the way you're approaching this is not the most tactful. i know you're pissed people are seeming unfair and not listening. i admit that i see things with fair ease from a similar perspective to yours - but mostly i think people are seeing your upset* and responding to that. also your typical INTx aura of superiority. it is not doing you favors right now. nor the other INTs in the thread, it currently looks like a sandbox squabble.

*noun, not adjective; "your" is correct, in case anyone was wondering

however - as far as i can see it he does have a valid point, removed from all personal wah-wah. sometimes posts are deemed "off topic" and moved; other times clearly off topic things are allowed to stay. lord knows i post things that seem off topic (though to my mind, are not) sometimes, and they stay. sometimes things are not moved that seem truly off topic to me - and as an ENP it takes a lot for me to see things as off topic. other times things are moved that seemed perfectly in line with the conversation, flowing from previous points, even if they did not perfectly address the OP.

as to whether jim was personally persecuted, clearly i cannot know, but i also think there is plenty of truth in that there is a good amount of inconsistency in what stays and what goes. it comes as no surprise to me that a Ni dom could pick up a pattern of movement and draw specific conclusions from it.

it does seem like things are already stacked against jim. that was partially of his own making, clearly, but perhaps also a result of the functioning of forums in general. often open external criticism of what is not considered "fair" is not particularly welcome by those who are in charge, being that members do not know the full story of what is going on, and are essentially given a gift of forum usage in the first place.

it's a strange situation. the forum is not a right, but a privilege, which stacks things oddly. one cannot lobby for "fairness" because one does not have the right to be here. yet those in charge may unknowingly be less welcome to certain points of view, and deal with those moreso than others. on one hand, that is life. things are unfair. on the other... well, as a member of the forum i feel like i should do my best to try and help be the best place it can. and inconsistency is truly frustrating. the community may flourish more without it. i feel like jim is in a bad place currently because he is not especially in favor many people's eyes right now, as far as i can see it, and as such his point will not be considered openly. but there is a certain truth to what he is saying, and i don't see why it couldn't be discussed objectively.

though perhaps this discussion belongs in the feedback forum instead.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. I could also point you to several posts from Jennifer or Kasper on your request. However, since you are unwilling to consider 1 datapoint is greater than 0 datapoints, I see little value in providing you 1,000,000 datapoints against the time I would have to invest to do so. If you wish to find the evidence you will. If you do not you won't. I'm not going to play mailman at a measurable opportunity cost.

I would like to see evidence that anyone read that specific post and knew you wanted it moved. Do you have anything beyond the movements of mods in and out of this thread?

Oh yes, someone in the peanut gallery wishes me to repeat this question:

You cannot see what specific invisible people are doing anywhere on the forum. How can you see this?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
however - honestly,guys, he does have a good point. sometimes posts are deemed "off topic" and moved; other times clearly off topic things are allowed to stay. lord knows i post things that seem quite off topic (though to my mind, are not) sometimes, and they stay. sometimes things are not moved that seem truly off topic to me - and as an ENP it takes a lot for me to see things as truly off topic. other times things are moved that seemed perfectly in line with the conversation, flowing from previous points, even if they did not perfectly address the OP.

as to whether jim was personally persecuted, clearly i cannot know, but i also think there is plenty of truth in that there is a good amount of inconsistency in what stays and what goes. it comes as no surprise to me that a Ni dom could pick up a pattern of movement and draw specific conclusions from it.

though perhaps this discussion belongs in the feedback forum instead.

Yes, I agree it is inconsistent. What is at issue here is the conclusion that specific people are targeted for persecution.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Oh yes, someone in the peanut gallery wishes me to repeat this question

Your posts are now being ignored.

sock-puppet.jpg

jim, i think the way you're approaching this is not the most tactful. i know you're pissed people are seeming unfair and not listening. i admit that i am not sure why you can't get a simple clear answer either - but mostly i think people are seeing your upset* and responding to that. also your typical INTx aura of superiority. it is not doing you favors right now..

There is no benefit in approaching the problem from alternate angles. Those have been tried and failed on numerous occasions, now we brandish guns.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And addendum to the invisible people question:

Just explained that in depth MacG. There is a process. You can see whether they are browsing the forum or other activities, it is very entertaining.

No, one cannot. Currently in this thread there are:

There are currently 12 users browsing this thread. (9 members and 3 guests)

Since four are also named, that means there are 5 invisible users. Unless an invisible person makes a post, you don't know which invisible user is which.

Further:

I can see when my posts are quoted inside the staff subforum, you can too! You can track the click in and out times of invisible users when it shows the time of last activity and the time of the changes in usercount on a thread. Especially when they travel in groups ;) 1+1 = 2

Last activity of invisible users is not listed, either on Who's Online or in their profile. Not even when last an invisible user was logged in. One cannot track click in and out times either. There is no way to differentiate between invisible users without a post or rep or some other outward direct interaction.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Water guns.

Jim, where do you stand on the Kinsey scale?

Absolutely Water Guns! Water Fighter Jets too! As I say, it's a pissing contest of Pe->Pi.

I'm 1 on the Kinsey Scale. I admit, I have very little familiarity with it.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
fine, jim, push me away too. i'm trying to be on your side without burning any bridges. i see your point and believe it deserves consideration. i would be happy to participate in an objective discussion in the feedback forum about it. but i am going to call things as i see them, including you being somewhat of a whiner right now. if you want it to be your battle alone, i will not interfere.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
fine, jim, push me away too. i'm trying to be on your side without burning any bridges. make it your battle alone if you please.

I think you are overreacting to an honest statement. I did not intend to *push* or offend I just wanted to inform.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Jim, here's a question: why the hell does this form keep getting hacked? what are the motivations of the hackers and who are these hackers you talk about in your previous post.:dry:

Status
Not open for further replies.