• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Ask Jim Anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
That's a great theory, but when the man "agrees with everything", I've seen it happen where the woman then thinks, "He's a doormat. He has no spine. I need a man who will stand up to me, who is more challenging." What say you to that? Is there a "middle ground", where the man should be equal parts "firm in his stance" and equal parts "agreeable"?

Did you read the second part of the sentence?

Also, do you think you'd enjoy working in a little 8 x 10 foot shack where people can drive up and have you make copies of keys for them with one of those key making machines? In other words, sitting in a small hut in a grocery store parking lot, putting your feet up and reading several newspapers, listening to the radio, and just making a few keys per day? Would this be "living the good life" or "an INTJ nightmare"?

Depends if I could keep a suitable amount of entertainment available and also if the pay was sufficient. No job too small, no rate too high. If you wanted loyalty buy a dog.

Dear Ask Jim,

Who do you like more INFPs or INTPs?

:D

INFPs. That's not even a contest.

A

Anew Leaf

You seem to consider that I chose my friends based upon 'social experience'. That is one of the main differences between INTP and INTJ and one of the reasons there are so few clear INTJs active on this and on other forums including INTJ forum.

Do you think a lot of INTJs on this board are not INTJ?

What things could an INTP do to better himself in your INTJ eyes?

Do you think a lot of people are mistyped in general on the boards?

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Do you think a lot of INTJs on this board are not INTJ?

What things could an INTP do to better himself in your INTJ eyes?

Do you think a lot of people are mistyped in general on the boards?

The older INTJs on this board are INTJ. ISTJ is a tolerant error to make and therefore is excusable The newer ones are generally ISFP or ISTP. The obviousness is what compels chagrin.

Speak less, listen more. I naturally provide breaks in my speech to allow others the time to think and voice their own viewpoint as a matter of course. INTPs do not do this, especially when they decide to talk over people... on and on... with... the... same... point... because... we... didn't... hear... you... the.... first... 9000000... times... blah... blah...

On some boards more than others, yes.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh yeah I totally think that new guy is ISTP.

Sooooo....did you make that avatar yourself, or did you find it?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Re: INTP's

Speak less, listen more. I naturally provide breaks in my speech to allow others the time to think and voice their own viewpoint as a matter of course. INTPs do not do this, especially when they decide to talk over people... on and on... with... the... same... point... because... we... didn't... hear... you... the.... first... 9000000... times... blah... blah...

Jim, if I'm honest with myself (which I try to be), I have seen this in myself. I do this sometimes. It's a blind spot of mine. But, my question is basically, have you no mercy? I mean, I could provide a paragraph on the things I dislike about INTJ's, however, I choose to not hold the grudge. I still try to find the common ground and have intellectual conversations with them and basically to not hate them or "check them off my list as morons". Where's the love, Jim, for your INT brethren?

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Jim, if I'm honest with myself (which I try to be), I have seen this in myself. I do this sometimes. It's a blind spot of mine. But, my question is basically, have you no mercy? I mean, I could provide a paragraph on the things I dislike about INTJ's, however, I choose to not hold the grudge. I still try to find the common ground and have intellectual conversations with them and basically to not hate them or "check them off my list as morons". Where's the love, Jim, for your INT brethren?

You make the classical-circular Fe error, you assume that 'just because' standards can be lowered means that they 'should' be lowered; it shows a lack of understand what you actually want from life.

Some people I like and some people I don't. Some of these people I like are even INTPs. However, on the whole it's natter natter natter natter.. then nothing.

I am incredibly selective with the people who I spend time with and who I spend time with is re-evaluated on a going basis based not upon what they say, but upon what they do. If all they do is talk but fail to ultimately observe and adjust and end up doing nothing then I very quickly lose any incentive to interact with them.

My love is not only love, it is taken very, very seriously indeed. When I commit to friends and aquaintances I take my obligations very seriously and therefore I am very careful in maintaining an outcome that is worth the effort expended.

Regarding your true complaint which is 'y u zo meanz :(?': You did ask. Don't ask a question if you won't like the answer, masochist!

wolfy

awsm
What do you see as the core difference between isfp and istp? And, how long have you been into typology?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You make the classical-circular Fe error, you assume that 'just because' standards can be lowered means that they 'should' be lowered; it shows a lack of understand what you actually want from life.

Some people I like and some people I don't. Some of these people I like are even INTPs. However, on the whole it's natter natter natter natter.. then nothing.

I am incredibly selective with the people who I spend time with and who I spend time with is re-evaluated on a going basis based not upon what they say, but upon what they do. If all they do is talk but fail to ultimately observe and adjust and end up doing nothing then I very quickly lose any incentive to interact with them.

My love is not only love, it is taken very, very seriously indeed. When I commit to friends and aquaintances I take my obligations very seriously and therefore I am very careful in maintaining an outcome that is worth the effort expended.

Cool. Thanks for the insight. Probably my last question, at least for today: I work in an environment that if infested with INTJ's. Academic environment. Knowing yourself and knowing the INTJ personality, what would be some positives and negatives of having a ton of INTJ's crammed in the same building? What would be really good about that building and what would that building maybe be lacking or what things might it have an excess of?

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
What do you see as the core difference between isfp and istp? And, how long have you been into typology?

Singular ethical introspection versus singular logical introspection. (Fi versus Ti) Easiest Identified in Te inferior in ISFP and Fe inferior in the ISTP and them being carried through life on these trends. ISFP, everyone has, I need. ISTP, everyone is doing, I should.

2 Years.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Regarding your true complaint which is 'y u zo meanz :(?': You did ask. Don't ask a question if you won't like the answer, masochist!

Oh no, I'm not opposed to your answers. This is an "Ask Jim Anything" thread and I'm simply asking questions and taking your answers at face value. I'm neither upset or disappointed at your answers.

A

Anew Leaf

Intriguing answers.

1- do I come off as an INFP? Or would you type me differently?
2- what is the greatest thing about physics?
3- if you could live somewhere other than earth, where would it be? (does not have to be an environment conducive to humans. The surface of a star for example.)
4- in case you didn't see my minor theory in regards to Ne vs Ni. I posit that Ne = super nova and Ni = black hole. I realize this is not a perfect 1:1 ratio of facts. Does that bug you?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Dear Invisible Jim,

Thanks for your previous reply.

More questions:

1.) What was / is the most "Ni" experience of your life (so far)?

2.) Do you have any siblings?

3.) What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?

4.) Do you balance your personal finances at the end of the month?

5.) If you could choose between a day at a museum or a day at a water park, which would you choose? And why?

6.) What is more important to you at this point in your life: protection of capital or maximizing return?

7.) Have you ever eaten caviar? Did you like it?

8.) How many questions would it take for you to grow impatient with one poster?

9.) How many questions would it take for you to grow impatient with this thread?

10.) If you had a private jet, where is the first place you would choose to fly it? And why?

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Singular ethical introspection versus singular logical introspection. (Fi versus Ti) Easiest Identified in Te inferior in ISFP and Fe inferior in the ISTP and them being carried through life on these trends. ISFP, everyone has, I need. ISTP, everyone is doing, I should.

2 Years.

What is 'singular introspection' and what can it be contrasted to? What other items or categories exist in the 'introspection' group? (Am I making a correct assumption it's a group?)

I question the usefulness of that identification method. Humans compare themselves to the people around them and take cues. They do this to different degrees, but I'd imagine the groups most driven to do so would be those most concerned with "fitting in" and finding a clear role in the social hierarchy.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Cool. Thanks for the insight. Probably my last question, at least for today: I work in an environment that if infested with INTJ's. Academic environment. Knowing yourself and knowing the INTJ personality, what would be some positives and negatives of having a ton of INTJ's crammed in the same building? What would be really good about that building and what would that building maybe be lacking or what things might it have an excess of?

First hint, not all of them are INTJ, far from it. Being an 'organised' IxTP does not a J make (see a few posts before). Ni types are apparently remarkably rare and the more knowledge regarding typology you have the clearer this becomes to see. The benefit would be in organisation, in mapping out direction and also giving others their own space to develop.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Intriguing answers.

1- do I come off as an INFP? Or would you type me differently?
2- what is the greatest thing about physics?
3- if you could live somewhere other than earth, where would it be? (does not have to be an environment conducive to humans. The surface of a star for example.)
4- in case you didn't see my minor theory in regards to Ne vs Ni. I posit that Ne = super nova and Ni = black hole. I realize this is not a perfect 1:1 ratio of facts. Does that bug you?

1-You are INFP enough. The only alternate would be ENFP.
2-It lets you manipulate the surrounding encironment with reliable and consistent results. It also makes uber-cool lightning.
3-The question is never 'where should we live?' The question is: 'Where should we lunch?'
4-Not really, it seemed an aptly visual example. It's painful to force Ne types to see how ideas coalesce in action and how although you see one as explosive and the other as implosive neither are true and that Ne is more like a fast cyling star wheres Ni is the equivalent of a star being ripped apart by a black hole...
5-There is no 5!

A

Anew Leaf

1-You are INFP enough. The only alternate would be ENFP.
2-It lets you manipulate the surrounding encironment with reliable and consistent results. It also makes uber-cool lightning.
3-The question is never 'where should we live?' The question is: 'Where should we lunch?'
4-Not really, it seemed an aptly visual example. It's painful to force Ne types to see how ideas coalesce in action and how although you see one as explosive and the other as implosive neither are true and that Ne is more like a fast cyling star wheres Ni is the equivalent of a star being ripped apart by a black hole...
5-There is no 5!

1- @bold.... by fast cycling star do you mean one of those exoplanets that have a day of a few hours? Or one that run through their stores of elements quickly and burn out? (haha)

In your analogy of Ni being a star ripped apart by a black hole. Are you envisioning it as star = information, and Ni = black hole?

2- Ok, I'll bite (ahaha)! Where should you partake of lunch and a beverage that isn't earth?

3- Have you read the book "Just Six Numbers?"

4- I have a friend who is always unfailingly polite unless someone annoys him enough. His reasoning is that it is more efficient to be polite to others because time spent arguing is time wasted. I have him pegged as an INTJ. Does this sound right? (I ask because Te is your Aux and the face one usually sees towards the world.)

5- Your number 5 actually has two 5s making your statement ironic.

:)

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
First hint, not all of them are INTJ, far from it. Being an 'organised' IxTP does not a J make (see a few posts before). Ni types are apparently remarkably rare and the more knowledge regarding typology you have the clearer this becomes to see. The benefit would be in organisation, in mapping out direction and also giving others their own space to develop.

In my close analysis/interactions, I work with 17 NTJ's, 9 NTP's, and 1 NFJ. After a while, it becomes apparent what types they are.

But, yeah, maybe you're right. Maybe the boss is INTJ and all the other peon's are INTP's. Heh. :happy2:

Status
Not open for further replies.