• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What MBTI types are most likely to pursue further knowledge of MBTI and personality?

NickNaylor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
8/SX
The amount of energy I have to expend to divert the 'S' type folks' attention towards the MBTI has left me exhausted. I don't know of many who have further pursued it with any naturally-occuring, genuine interest in educating themselves about personality types. Whether it be for self-help or something to read on the shitter (pending you are using a mobile source for your viewing pleasure, although the motivation for that is questionable), I find that N types seem to generally question themselves and the "genetic makeup" of the human's cognitive existence in general.

Although I am quite aware that most of you have read this and said to yourself: "that's a rather simple conclusion, what a stupid ENTP", I put this in perspective for you:

2eov9r5.jpg

Perhaps the only valuable argument to counter this is that we're simply more... interesting? (Don't tell me there are two threads that happen to be on fire in both sections thanks).

NickNaylor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
8/SX
You are an extinct form of Jaguar indeed.

Hera

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I don't think it's necessarily something attributed to type as much as it is attributed to interests. I can't say that I'm more interested in MBTI because I use forums and talk about it, since most of the people I know think forums are boring and redundant (and they're kind of right for the most part). We all question ourselves and why we are the way we are, but some of us do it for a while longer than others, some of us never seem to stick to it, and some of us are happy just learning things and then never looking back at them until it comes up in conversation.

And Ns being more interesting? I don't know about that. Am I more interesting than an SJ or SP? That depends who you ask.

Jaguar

On that note, your post made me think of this right here. :laugh:

Thanks for pointing us to a post made by a smart young lady:

shortnsweet said:
A dumb and imbalanced N just assumes everything/ reads into everything without having any knowledge to back it up and is inaccurate half the time.
A dumb S will collect facts all day and not be able to draw conclusions about them. Accurate, but slow on the uptake.

A smart and balanced anybody should be able to do both. They will value both areas, the whole scientific process. (In even daily life decisions.)

NickNaylor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
8/SX
I think its safe to say the N-types who agree with this love themselves quite a bit. :p

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The fact that the numbers in each forum are always so vastly different says something............about something. It certainly does not say that one type is *more interesting* than another. But, if you consistently have 100 N's and 20 S's browsing (not just one time, but it's almost always like this), those are statistically significant numbers. That's a big difference - 5 times as many N's as S's - and what makes it even more significant is that there are many more S's walking around than there are N's. All else equal, the numbers should be reversed.

So, I can't speculate on what those numbers mean or what exactly they suggest about S's or N's, but it means something - even if it's something stupid like "N's browse the internet more" or whatever.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks for pointing us to a post made by a smart young lady:

Thank you for noticing/quoting this, I assert similar stuff all the time and a lot of times it falls on deaf ears.

The fact that the numbers in each forum are always so vastly different says something............about something. It certainly does not say that one type is *more interesting* than another. But, if you consistently have 100 N's and 20 S's browsing (not just one time, but it's almost always like this), those are statistically significant numbers. That's a big difference - 5 times as many N's as S's - and what makes it even more significant is that there are many more S's walking around than there are N's. All else equal, the numbers should be reversed.

So, I can't speculate on what those numbers mean or what exactly they suggest about S's or N's, but it means something - even if it's something stupid like "N's browse the internet more" or whatever.

Yes, you're right. It could also say something like "80 percent of people who research on the internet think that they are an N". (I'm not saying this is true, but it could be true)

I'm personally fascinated, even obsessive over learning about human brains and human thoughts and behavior in general, and find that most people (in general) S's, N's- whatever do not share the same passion. They are interested in hearing what I have to say, but that's the extent of it. Some people I talk to do enjoy the topic, but enjoy one aspect or theory over another. Most just don't care, it just doesn't interest some people, doesn't make them "s" or "less interesting." No conclusions here.

(Well I could be saying- the people who I do find are fascinated with it happen to be N's- when I actually had assumed that some of them were S's... When in reality it doesn't really matter, and I don't really know.)

I don't think that most of us, myself included, really understand the difference between the two, but we like to throw around grand conclusions like candy- (myself included again.)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i have a pet theory that the people most likely to pursue the MBTI are those whose types explain something about themselves and/or the world that they have not been exposed to before. for example, it seems many INFxs are pleased to find forums where they find many other people "like themselves", and the forum offers an introvert low-key interaction opportunities. for me, ENFP explains why i never quite agreed with my INFP test results in school.

as for S and N, the theory would predict less S interest in the MBTI because it is a completely artificial theoretical construct. but that says nothing about how interested Ss are in psychology, personality, people, etc., and the mention of them being less interesting is astoundingly ridiculous.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
i have a pet theory that the people most likely to pursue the MBTI are those whose types explain something about themselves and/or the world that they have not been exposed to before. for example, it seems many INFxs are pleased to find forums where they find many other people "like themselves", and the forum offers an introvert low-key interaction opportunities. for me, ENFP explains why i never quite agreed with my INFP test results in school.

this + the really dangerous people are those who dont stop with mbti after they have found a starter to interact with the real world. You can keep on trieing to categorize everyone into your 16 type model and never recognize that by assuming you know more than the rest of humanity, you are putting yourself in a position of superiority that does automatically isolate you more and more from the averages people daily problems that at one point, you being left alone with nobody to understand you is perfectly justifiable.

Jaguar

But, if you consistently have 100 N's and 20 S's browsing (not just one time, but it's almost always like this), those are statistically significant numbers.

Right now, I see this:

MBTI forum - 106 viewing.

How many of the 106 viewers are N or S?

NT forum - 58 viewing.

How many of the 58 viewers are N or S?

NF forum - 90 viewing.

How many of the 90 viewers are N or S?

And no, using one of these is not permitted:

crystalball_468x317.jpg

A

Anew Leaf

Right now, I see this:

MBTI forum - 106 viewing.

How many of the 106 viewers are N or S?

NT forum - 58 viewing.

How many of the 58 viewers are N or S?

NF forum - 90 viewing.

How many of the 90 viewers are N or S?

And no, using one of these is not permitted:

crystalball_468x317.jpg

Then an experiment is in order!

If you did a rundown of how many people are in a particular forum, and then checked the user profiles to see what their type is then you could get somewhere perhaps. The data would have to be gathered over a period of several weeks.

I nominate not myself for this because I have a history* of not being accurate in experiments.

*I suggest that having my data be 90% accurate in my organic chem labs was sufficient since it was far greater than half, and if it had been an exam I would have received an A. Nonetheless the chemistry department sought 99.5% accuracy and up. I did, however, get a B+ for my organic chemistry lab! But that was due to the fact that the TA made a bargain with me wherein my side of the bargain was to be upheld by never taking another organic chemistry class again. Done and done.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
as for S and N, the theory would predict less S interest in the MBTI because it is a completely artificial theoretical construct.

I use mbti/enneagram books as practical guides to human behaviors, much as I use my "Upgrading and Repairing PC's" book as a practical guide to doing so. I constantly seek real-world examples as evidence that the knowledge within the books is true (same with anything I study, whether it is deemed to be theory or not).
It's a system to be understood and explored, and proven right or wrong. I think the models do a good job of explaining human behaviors and motivations. I seek to understand human behaviors, and if the information seems to be true, it's better than being totally-in-the-dark lol...... I honestly think I like mbti/enneagrams because people's behaviors and choices have never made any sense to me, until now.
I also think, as a 6w5, I need to rely on resources for help, and it's a dayum good resource/ belief system, since I'm not religious. Practical guides ftw.....
As far as theory goes, if it seems mostly true in my world, it's ok by me. I don't have to believe it works for everyone, or that it is true for everyone.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ICUP said:
I use mbti/enneagram books as practical guides to human behaviors, much as I use my "Upgrading and Repairing PC's" book as a practical guide to doing so. I constantly seek real-world examples as evidence that the knowledge within the books is true.
It's a system to be understood and explored, and proven right or wrong. I think the models do a good job of explaining human behaviors and motivations. I seek to understand human behaviors, and if the information seems to be true, it's better than being totally-in-the-dark lol......

i feel the exact same way about it, actually, lol. :hifive:

i'm not convinced about a lot of N/S stuff. i usually don't like the impractical and lord knows i hate abstract paintings (read somewhere once that Ns are supposed to like abstract art... gross...)... and Ss often seem to cross over into the abstract. my ESFJ mom certainly does.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENTPs if bored enough..........

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i feel the exact same way about it, actually, lol. :hifive:

i'm not convinced about a lot of N/S stuff. i usually don't like the impractical and lord knows i hate abstract paintings (read somewhere once that Ns are supposed to like abstract art... gross...)... and Ss often seem to cross over into the abstract. my ESFJ mom certainly does.

hehe, it might be the "6" thing more than type.....:solidarity: I think the 6 means "less trust in people", and that's one reason I was drawn to explaining their behaviors.
I think there is some truth to the N/S thing, but I am also finding that enneagram means alot. As a 6, I found early-on that I felt comfie around intelligent people..... and I trusted them more (even if they didn't much want me around :laugh:). I've been told I'm about 50% nerd haha.... I need some intellectual in my life, and I seem to identify with some intellectual and some less-intellectual activities. I've had estp friends who weren't intellectual at all, and some esfj friends who seeked intellectuals, but I mostly valued my naturally more-intellectual friends, especially the ones who were incredibly trustworthy. I actually need some of both.... so that is why I think I ended up in the "least intelligent of the intelligent people" category.

rav3n

MBTI doesn't really address behaviours or motivations. But it does attempt to identify and categorise processes.

As far as type most likely to pursue et al., less type, more individual who's looking for answers to self and others. Ha ha..MBTI and JCF might be part of the process since they attempt to identify processes, where the answers are in the infinity and beyond!