• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] This ENTP guy (help me to understand him).

A

A window to the soul

Haha, thanks. How did it touch a nerve? Have you been in a similar situation in the past?

I think with dating, there is a lot of confusion, and when people are confused, they feel like the other person is playing games when really the other person is just as confused. It's just that there's so much potential for bliss on the one hand, countered by so much potential for hurt, that it creates a lot of neuroticism and confusion as people can't decide whether to risk everything in hopes of getting to the bliss, or whether to withdraw and protect themselves from getting hurt.

I dated an INFP. A Mama's boy. I can list all of the things he did wrong, but I know I'm not perfect. I didn't know then, what I know now. After reading this thread I'm quite sure I'm the root cause. I clearly didn't respond appropriately to his emotional cues in the beginning and it snowballed into him distrusting and resenting me for it. The nail in the coffin was when I found out he was going to my NF Mother for advice (behind my back, while he had me in isolation)... so, to top off the isolation, I had no privacy. It was my worst nightmare of a relationship. What I'm calling isolation looks very similar to what I pointed out as games in Bessie's original post.

lol, it wasn't a relationship.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I dated an INFP. A Mama's boy. I can list all of the things he did wrong, but I know I'm not perfect. I didn't know then, what I know now. After reading this thread I'm quite sure I'm the root cause. I clearly didn't respond appropriately to his emotional cues in the beginning and it snowballed into him distrusting and resenting me for it. The nail in the coffin was when I found out he was going to my NF Mother for advice (behind my back, while he had me in isolation)... so, to top off the isolation, I had no privacy. It was my worst nightmare of a relationship. What I'm calling isolation looks very similar to what I pointed out as games in Bessie's original post.

Boo, that sounds hard. :( Relationships are confusing enough as it is, let alone with type confusion adding to the problem.

I've never dated an INFP, but I know I've been really attracted to them in the past. Was it like that for you? If so, that must have made it really hard....

A

A window to the soul

I've never dated an INFP, but I know I've been really attracted to them in the past. Was it like that for you? If so, that must have made it really hard....

Initially, yes, very much.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
My opinion:

-You're over analyzing the issue because you're too involved in a relationship that isn't based on involvement
-You made the thread hoping for an answer to all of this, an answer that will preferably fix things and uncomplicate this. But there's no easy fix. The MBTI has nothing do to with this.
-He's a risk because he was with someone else right before you, so his emotional involvement is limited.

You can't play games with him because you care too much, try talking to him. Communication is the key.

Chloe

my attention span is very bad so i apologize if i misread something; but i'd say he likes you as person but has no feelings for you (at least not as much as you have for him), we can theoretize is it because of his last relationship, or simply that's the limit of your relationship, but it seems there is no future. the sooner you get out the better.

G

Ginkgo

My opinion:

-You're over analyzing the issue because you're too involved in a relationship that isn't based on involvement
-You made the thread hoping for an answer to all of this, an answer that will preferably fix things and uncomplicate this. But there's no easy fix. The MBTI has nothing do to with this.
-He's a risk because he was with someone else right before you, so his emotional involvement is limited.

You can't play games with him because you care too much, try talking to him. Communication is the key.

+1

spleen

MBTI Type
Entp
Enneagram
I dated an INFP. *A Mama's boy. *I can list all of the things he did wrong, but I know I'm not perfect. *I didn't know then, what I know now. *After reading this thread I'm quite sure I'm the root cause. *I clearly didn't respond appropriately to his emotional cues in the beginning and it snowballed into him distrusting and resenting me for it. *The nail in the coffin was when I found out he was going to my NF Mother for advice (behind my back, while he had me in isolation)... *so, to top off the isolation, I had no privacy. *It was my worst nightmare of a relationship. *What I'm calling isolation looks very similar to what I pointed out as games in Bessie's original post.

Wow, that is horrible. Hate when parents are turned into Personal Relationship Therapists.*
I dont know if you could say that you were the Cause of the problems. You may have started them by not realizing those emotional cues as you say, but thats at the beginning of the relationship when you dont know the person and what their trigger points are, so, you just were acting like yourself, you didnt know how your actions were going to emotionally affect the person, so, you are way more likely to wrongfully gauge the degree of importance your actions were going to emotionally impact him, due to your percpective being rooted in Thinking more than Feeling. (And especially with an infp guy)

If the infp really wanted to have a good relationship, its in their capacity to forgive, ignore and try to make the best of it. I think they are the emotionally strongest out of all types to remain optimistic about life and stuff like this.

I think that, America being already saturated in optimism, that infps strength in that regard is underappreciated until they need to pull everyone away from destructive cynicism, and back on track again. I wouldnt have survived a few academic instances without this infp girl smiling at me and saying "youll get through that" when I kept telling her my sky is falling.*

spleen

MBTI Type
Entp
Enneagram
Sorry to harp, but infps? Question: do you not think when you say "oh, but, like, we werent talking about you at all" that the entp you say that to doesnt see through that horrible defense in like, 0 seconds. Like, really? Really??

I ask because my best friend has been saying crap like that to me for all 5 years Ive known her. She says it after she gives me her unsolicited advice on why my untraditionality is "not good" in some way, but she determines all that advice based on her monthly family's evaluative process on the state of my soul. And after hearing nerd girl knowing that her bf was talking to his mom about her, just brought it to the forefront of my mind.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that, America being already saturated in optimism, that infps strength in that regard is underappreciated until they need to pull everyone away from destructive cynicism, and back on track again. I wouldnt have survived a few academic instances without this infp girl smiling at me and saying "youll get through that" when I kept telling her my sky is falling.*

America is what? Who is cynical?

A

Anew Leaf

Sorry to harp, but infps? Question: do you not think when you say "oh, but, like, we werent talking about you at all" that the entp you say that to doesnt see through that horrible defense in like, 0 seconds. Like, really? Really??

I ask because my best friend has been saying crap like that to me for all 5 years Ive known her. She says it after she gives me her unsolicited advice on why my untraditionality is "not good" in some way, but she determines all that advice based on her monthly family's evaluative process on the state of my soul. And after hearing nerd girl knowing that her bf was talking to his mom about her, just brought it to the forefront of my mind.

Your posts are so difficult to follow, I have no idea what you are even trying ask.

Heres a strange and new idea: people aren't robots following their chosen mbti god.

A

Anew Leaf

My opinion:

Good sum up here.

I think it's a bad idea to date someone who just got out of a LTR. I don't care what type someone is, no one can clear their head in a few days after spending years with someone else. If nothing else, I would be wary of anyone who can't be alone for awhile with themselves. I want someone to choose me, not choose "anything but the silence."

I think the ops ENTP has made himself pretty clear. He may have feelings for her, but him moving away in a few months overrides the emotional involvement.

And playing games with anyone is just such an immature thing to do. If you're mad, tell him, don't make him guess. Or play the "I won't kiss you back game." ugh.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good sum up here.

I think it's a bad idea to date someone who just got out of a LTR. I don't care what type someone is, no one can clear their head in a few days after spending years with someone else. If nothing else, I would be wary of anyone who can't be alone for awhile with themselves. I want someone to choose me, not choose "anything but the silence."

All I can say is - Wow.

Have you ever thought about getting your own love advice talk show?

A

A window to the soul

For the record, I :heart: INFP's. One of my dearest friends is an INFP and he really is a great guy. Since I'm a woman, I have found through dating experience, that I'm more attracted to a personality that's equivalent or stronger than mine. That's a personal preference. I can see where an ENTP and INFP would work out very well, if both parties were mature. An immature ENTP + immature INFP = FAIL! One or both parties being immature will spoil it. I think that's what we're looking at here in this thread (see the original post for details :]).

All I can say is - Wow.

Have you ever thought about getting your own love advice talk show?

I echo that.

I think the ops ENTP has made himself pretty clear. He may have feelings for her, but him moving away in a few months overrides the emotional involvement.

And playing games with anyone is just such an immature thing to do. If you're mad, tell him, don't make him guess. Or play the "I won't kiss you back game." ugh.

Amen.

A

Anew Leaf

For the record, I :heart: INFP's. One of my dearest friends is an INFP and he really is a great guy. Since I'm a woman, I have found through dating experience, that I'm more attracted to a personality that's equivalent or stronger than mine. That's a personal preference. I can see where an ENTP and INFP would work out very well, if both parties were mature. An immature ENTP + immature INFP = FAIL! I think that's what we may be looking at here in this thread (see the original post for details :] ).

Agreed.

I :heart: ENTPs too. :)

*bakes math equation cookies for Nerd Girl*

A

A window to the soul

Are you talking about your friend denying she talked to her parents about you? I think it's the path of least resistance, going the indirect route, but maybe she needed reassurance that her thoughts were valid. I don't know the details about your situation, but her motivation is more likely driven by genuine concern. I say that because you called her a 'friend,' so I'm trusting your judgment there.

*Wow, that is horrible. Hate when parents are turned into Personal Relationship Therapists.*
I dont know if you could say that you were the Cause of the problems. You may have started them by not realizing those emotional cues as you say, but thats at the beginning of the relationship when you dont know the person and what their trigger points are, so, you just were acting like yourself, you didnt know how your actions were going to emotionally affect the person, so, you are way more likely to wrongfully gauge the degree of importance your actions were going to emotionally impact him, due to your percpective being rooted in Thinking more than Feeling. (And especially with an infp guy)

True, there were a number of variables at play.

If the infp really wanted to have a good relationship, its in their capacity to forgive, ignore and try to make the best of it. I think they are the emotionally strongest out of all types to remain optimistic about life and stuff like this.

INFP's are well-equipped to be all of those things, but then as an Ne-dom, so are you. : )