• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Do INTP's often feel misunderstood?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Like when I'm serious people think I'm joking, and when I'm joking people think I'm serious?
:thumbup:

memz

MBTI Type
ISFP
Like when I'm serious people think I'm joking, and when I'm joking people think I'm serious?
:thumbup:

Thats very possible. He is a very sarcastic person. When he says something and sounds serious but is joking, I will sometimes tell him he is full of it. He has told me that I don't need to tell him that every time. Sometimes he says stuff to be funny, but it comes off sounding serious. I'm still learning to tell when he is serious and when he is joking. To me it all sounds the same sometimes.

N

NPcomplete

Thats very possible. He is a very sarcastic person. When he says something and sounds serious but is joking, I will sometimes tell him he is full of it. He has told me that I don't need to tell him that every time. Sometimes he says stuff to be funny, but it comes off sounding serious. I'm still learning to tell when he is serious and when he is joking. To me it all sounds the same sometimes.

Haha I'm an INTP (I think) and sometimes I can't even tell with other INTPs. :D I keep looking for that glint in their eyes or the ghost-smirk and then I know.

And to answer your initial question, no I don't feel that misunderstood. Sure there are some differences in terms of how people perceive me and how I really feel - they think I'm aloof/angry/cold etc when I'm really just lost in my head, thinking of something; they think I'm being difficult and argumentative when I'm really just trying to clarify something...but it doesn't really matter to me what people think as long as those who matter know what's really going on.

Good luck in your endeavour. :)

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
he is making you feel misunderstood, he made it. :troll:

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
he is making you feel misunderstood, he made it. :troll:

challenge.jpg

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
I fantasize about explaining things to people to foster mutual understanding. When I actually try to do this, it usually falls far short of my expectations and leaves everyone confused.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

What would it mean if you felt misunderstood even though people do understand you?

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What would it mean if you felt misunderstood even though people do understand you?

It would mean that the feedback I'm getting about their level of understanding is poor. I wouldn't understand how they understood me. This could actually be true or it might be one of those shadow moments where I want to whine that "no one understands me!".

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Which may mean they truly didn't understand you, or you still weren't able to explain it precisely enough. Hm. I suppose if they could understand you they'd be able to effectively tell you why. Unless we were unable to understand how they explained what we explained to them?

Am I misunderstood enough yet?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Which may mean they truly didn't understand you, or you still weren't able to explain it precisely enough. Hm. I suppose if they could understand you they'd be able to effectively tell you why. Unless we were unable to understand how they explained what we explained to them?

Am I misunderstood enough yet?

Yes, you definitely are! :D

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, you definitely are! :D

Not so! He only thinks he is misunderstood. I understand him perfectly...even the parts where he believes he is misunderstood.