• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INTP + ISFP = Poison?

Scorquendo

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know why, but I'm really attracted to ISFPs (I am not sure, but I sometimes get them confused with INFPs which is kind of hard in, itself, to detect) because they seem so free, easy-going, and know how to have fun w/o being so cynical and pragmatic like me (believe me, I provide enough cynicism, paranoia, and pragmatism for ten couples). Not to mention, they rarely go overboard in anything. All my friends are SPs, except for maybe one, which makes me feel even more comfortable with them in general. However, I heard it, but I don't want to believe it: is this one of the worst combos for an INTP?

I mean, I can see that you have opposites on all fronts regarding Si - Se, Ti - Te, Ne - Ni,and Fe - Fi, not to mention their pecking order in which they stand. I am also a big skeptic on "opposites attract," but it seems every girl I've ever been attracted to my entire life has been an SP of some sort. I've rarely met any NFs or NTs, so it's kind of hard to reach out to those types when you can barely find them. As for a future with an SP, I keep thinking ahead in terms of a more serious and strong relationship; it just seems destined for failure. Should one just take a page from a sensor and take it day-by-day?

As for the sensors, it seems like the best fit for INTPs are ISFJs and ISTPs:

-ISFJs are great, since they notice the little things that we can relate to in terms of humor, and are very polite and courteous. Not to mention, they are great to work with and willing to listen to my ideas. But they bore me with their routine and desire for convention. My sister is an ISFJ and we get along really well, but she sometimes gets annoyed when I try to "push" conversations to the deep end and play devil's advocate in other cases. To be fair, it annoys me on my end, too.

-ISTPs are great, too, but they are way too outdoorsy for me. I mean, I like to do things if I find it rewarding, but it's overkill with an ISTP. Not to mention, they seem to like immediate gratification and confrontations, and I'm not as "exciting" as that kind of a person. One of my close friends is a textbook ISTP, and he just loves any chance he can get to drink, party, play sports, build stuff, and do something, that's "manly." It's weird that we're friends, but I suppose I am sort of the same with ideas as he is with materials.

Btw, where do you NFs hang out? I know the NTs are in their dorms all the time, lol, but I haven't had a good intellectual conversation in a while. Man, I really meant for this to be a paragraph...oh well.

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm also mainly attracted to ISFPs and ESFPs and, in fact, these are usually people I get along with very good. I don't think that NTPs and SFPs are "destined for failure with each other".Imho, they're quite complementary.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Btw, where do you NFs hang out? I know the NTs are in their dorms all the time, lol, but I haven't had a good intellectual conversation in a while. Man, I really meant for this to be a paragraph...oh well.

:laugh:!

anyone reading fiction in an odd place on campus has an 87% chance of being NF. the I variety can probably be hunted down in libraries and the E kind can probably be found in humanitarian student organizations.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I honestly think it depends on what is really important to you. Like...I would have married an ESFJ if he would have stayed in fucking anger management therapy sessions, because otherwise our relationship was actually pretty deep and compatible.

Ideally I'm supposed to be with an INTJ? I don't know, man, I'm attracted to them, but they can be awfully cold and hard to understand.

It's easy for me to have relationships with sensing feelers because I love aesthetic things and art and music so much. I have a common ground with them that I think is equally as valuable as being able to have a debate about something theoretical.

So what I'm saying is that if you share something with these ISFPs besides physical attraction or sex, if there's real common ground there with them, then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

On the other hand, if you keep having thoughts like "she's pretty and nice but kind of boring and/or stupid" then, yeah, you should probably look elsewhere.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a female ISFP friend... and she sure is easy-going! She's unassuming and friendly, and I do hang out with her pretty often.

However, I will admit I'm unwilling to discuss anything of importance to me with her - I find that it can be hard for us to hear each other out without misunderstanding each other at least somewhat. This isn't true with most lighthearted discussions we have, but once things get serious it gets pretty difficult to reconcile our views on just about everything. For this reason I keep my innards tightly guarded from her for the most part.

Hey, but don't let this discourage you - this is ONE ISFP we're talking about, and types shouldn't determine which relationships will succeed/fail. To each their own... I have two great ENFJ buddies, as unlikely it seems for an INTP to get along with ENFJs. I also have an awesome ISXJ friend who's witty and downright hilarious when she wants to be. In general, I find that most SJs aren't as uptight as stereotypes say they are.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Of the 8 S types, I've had the most compatibililty with ISFP. Se can seem similar to Ne in the short term, but as time goes on, I realized that the Se-Ne "fun" faded. It came down to the S/N divide once again for me. It was just too large of a gap to overcome. We just didn't want to talk about the same types of things. And that makes it hard. Super sweet girl though. Really good heart.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
in many type descriptions, isfp's are the ideal mates for entp's. So why not for intp's too, we share the same functions.

My girlfriend is infp and I love her because she sees the world like I do but understands it differently. She helps me getting a completly new viewport on things and her cautious, introverted mannerisms paired with her playing hard to get make me go crazy for her. I wouldnt ever wish for anyone else, I think I'd never get along with a J for example.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Actually NTPs and SFPs don't share any functions. That's NTPs and SFJs.

Doesn't mean they can't have a good relationship, I'm just pointing out a fact.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I meant intps share the same functions with entps

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn't consider myself cynical at all ... Do you think it's a common INTP thing? Moreover, would you say that the opposite (being non-cynical, whatever that is ... maybe idealistic) is a common ISFP thing?

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wouldn't consider myself cynical at all ... Do you think it's a common INTP thing? Moreover, would you say that the opposite (being non-cynical, whatever that is ... maybe idealistic) is a common ISFP thing?

Cynical isn't in my book either. Rational/reasonable optimism, however, is.

Ironically (or not), my ISFP friend complains waaayyyyy more than I do about all sorts of things. She also has a pessimistic streak.