• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT Musicians

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Pizzicato is awesome anyway. Example of the greatest pizzicato ever at about 2:51:

Try listening to Andrew Bird. That guy reinvented pizzicato.

Also, I play ukulele (6 months self taught), piano (5 years self taught), alto sax (7 years school taught), a little guitar (1 year self taught), and I sing (2 years school taught). Ukulele is surprisingly the one I'm best at. That's probably just because it's so easy to learn and play.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm. I enjoy the synth as well, but I could never get into playing piano as a main instrument. What do you mainly design? I'd consider musicians and artists similar in some respects.

What I've done so far(for my class projects) is design logos, movie posters, CD covers, book covers, and my favorite, I made decade logos from the '50s to the 2010s. I've already had my guitar for like 5 years but haven't gotten to learning how to play sufficiently yet.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Ukulele is surprisingly the one I'm best at. That's probably just because it's so easy to learn and play.

Yeah ukulele!

It is pretty easy to learn and play but ohsosatisfying.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I wanna play the pianoooooooooooo.

Fuck it's so expensive here. I mean it's about 100$ a month...and you go a few hours. And it's mostly for kids.

They're killing the music with this. What a bunch of pricks. I'm sure there are many people like me who would enjoy playing a musical instrument...but can't.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm actually very musical. My father taught band and still directs community bands, and both of my parents played french horn in high school.

I started piano when I was five and was accompanying choir and playing in jazz band and playing at churches by seventh grade, and composing by high school. In high school, I played piano for the show choir. (It was no Glee, but it was still fun.) Music groups and performance continued through my college years. I ended up putting together and running a worship band for my church for ten years or so as an adult, along with more composition, and also did recording on my computer and keyboard.

While I was in school, I also played clarinet and oboe, made district band twice, made regional choir, and took pipe organ lessons to the point where I would play pipe organ for some Sunday services. I sight-read and ad lib extremely well (I prefer the latter, since I like listening to what is happening and then contributing in ways that accentuate it, rather than just playing what is on a page).

All three of my children are musical. Two play the piano, one plays the guitar, two sing in choir, and two play the cello.

Fuck it's so expensive here. I mean it's about 100$ a month...and you go a few hours. And it's mostly for kids.

They're killing the music with this. What a bunch of pricks. I'm sure there are many people like me who would enjoy playing a musical instrument...but can't.

I can't vouch for the costs and whether they are worthwhile, I just think you should calculate costs and income on the side of the piano teacher and see if it's equitable in terms of making an actual living. I don't think any of them can live off it, unless they're extremely well-known.

Sounds like you have four lessons a month for $25 each. How long are the lessons?

A

Anew Leaf

Anyone play an instrument? :D I'm curious to see how many do.

My INTP friend is an amazing musician! He plays several instruments (including the penny whistle!) and does a lot of composing. He's very much into math and how it works with music.

I have an ENTJ friend who plays jazz flute.... *coughs* I accidentaly got trapped into laughing about it while watching Anchorman with the ENTJ....

"Hey Saturned, what do you think of this scene?" says an ENTP friend.
"What the heck is a jazz flute? That looks STUPID!" I say innocently.
"WHAT?!!?!?! I PLAY THE JAZZ FLUTE!!! YOU HAZ NO TASTE!!" Yelled the irate ENTJ.
"Eep!" Me
"hahahahahah" the 3 ENTPs and 2 INTPs I was watching the movie with as well.

I still think when he looks at me he is thinking, "This is a girl who doesn't appreciate the finer things in life. This is a girl to get rid of when I conquer the world."

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
HAHAHA you have no idea how funny I found that post. I have a few friends who play jazz flute :D

Faine

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My INTJ ex played bass and was also learning guitar. As a child he used to play the trumpet, if I recall correctly.
I don't know much about music, but he seemed to have a natural talent for it and was very into the different sounds and effects he could create. It was mostly jibberish to me (the only instrument I could play is the triangle) but it was definitely his primary hobby/interest outside of his art and design. He had a very NT approach to it, a very calculated way focused on tools and technique.

Last edited:

periol

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5/4
I'm new, but music is the only thing that keeps me sane. When I'm making music, my head stops spinning.

I've played sax, piano, and other things, but now it's mainly guitar and synths/keys.

xisnotx

Permabanned
Could someone explain what they mean by "playing an instrument"?

I play the piano. However, I can't even play twinkle twinkle little stars. Why? I've never had the patience to actually sit down and learn all the notes for it...I can barely tell you where middle C is...and I'm a noob when it comes to all the scales.

Having said that...I've wasted days in front of the piano and I have written a couple songs that I think (regardless of how good/bad they are) are extremely representative of my time in front of the piano (and the noise thats going on in my head). I have been told that the one song I played for someone else (a music major) was "good". (and apparently was based on some sort or triad chord or something...i don't know...)

So when people ask me...do I play an instrument...the answer is...i'm not sure. I don't play it the way you most likely think of playing it.

go on to craigslist, find a free piano, and start playing then. if you want to read music then learn how to do it online. teachers aren't necessary.

oh..and
the whole reading music thing is way to complicated imo. im this close to setting aside a weekend and developing a system of reading and recording music that makes sense to me.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
oh..and
the whole reading music thing is way to complicated imo. im this close to setting aside a weekend and developing a system of reading and recording music that makes sense to me.

The music note system is really clever and intuitive. I like it. Honestly, I would have trouble inventing a system that is more compact and clear than the current system. Music is a complicated thing to get exactly the right articulation, notes, rhythms, and style all written down on paper.

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
@Mkenya
If you're asking if music theory and the ability to read sheet music are prerequisites to "playing an instrument", I would say no.
They don't hurt though, and there's not any hugely compelling reason not to pursue them both, if you're interested in music to any capacity.

Personally, I can read sheet music (slowly), but I've seldom put it to use in my playing or writing.
General theory (scales & modes, chordal harmony, understanding of interval relationships, rhythmic structure, etc...), on the other hand, I've both enjoyed studying and have found useful in my pursuits.

*edit*
Oh, and I play guitar, bass guitar, and sort of (but not really) piano/keyboard. Always been interested in expanding to drums, but kits are insanely loud and expensive.
I write/compose stuff in various genres and stylings, and occasionally work up the energy to record.