• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ENTP/ISTP relationship

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
It will be fine. If you get into a physical argument, just stand still. They can't see you if you don't move.

A

A window to the soul

From what I can tell...

ISTP hates expectations <--joykill
ENTP goes above & beyond expectations

ENTP loves to ask questions <--seems to annoy ISTP
ISTP Do not seem to enjoy the questions; Rarely initiates asking questions and
often times dodges answering them <--joykill for an ENTP

ENTP assertive, takes the initiative, talks over ISTP, the ENTP likes to talk <--guessing the ISTP grows to resent that, but one never knows...
ISTP holds stuff in, doesn't take the initiative, suddenly explodes or
becomes passive-agressive <-- that gets old after awhile

ENTP often enthusiastic
ISTP often not : (

ISTP Provokes disharmony and isolation on a rebellious streak for kicks<--mkay
ENTP Resents the isolation. Occasionally directs a negative comment at the ISTP for kicks :p ; ISTP punches ENTP in the face!

ENTP narcisistic, complicated, materialistic <--not all of us are extreme; regardless,
I think the ISTP hates even the essence of that
ISTP simple, frugal <--ENTP joykill!

ISTP Easily annoyed
ENTP Annoyed by the ISTP's petty annoyances

ISTP thinks within the box
ENTP thinks outside the box

Both may only care about people to the extent that they are useful or want something from them.

Edit: Yes, these are extreme cases and I'd bet we secretly admire each other. We can make beautiful love-hate music together! : D

Last edited:

Mae

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5sp
From what I can tell...

Extreme and clearly written from an ENTP p.o.v, but I agree with the gist of it.

However, I think if you go into it with your eyes wide open (as any relationship should be, really) and don't have ridiculous expectations (again, all relationships), I think it could be a great match.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
ISTP hates expectations <--joykill
ENTP goes above & beyond expectations

- Ok, this may be true to some degree not the whole 9 yeards

ENTP loves to ask questions <--seems to annoy ISTP
ISTP Don't seem to care for questions; Rarely ask questions and often times dodge them <--joykill for an ENTP

-ISTPS always ask questions, if anything ISTPs are one of the most curious type due to their strong Ti function so you're defiantly wrong there.

ENTP assertive, takes the initiative, talks over ISTP, likes to talk <--guessing the ISTP grows to resent that, but one never knows...
ISTP holds stuff in, doesn't take the initiative, suddenly explodes or becomes passive-agressive <-- that gets old after awhile

- ISTP's only hold stuff in that are irrelevant, we don't like to talk about things that are untangable like most "N"s do all the time, this is for most "IS" types.

ENTP often enthusiastic
ISTP often not

- Ya total bullshit, we don't often like to show it, big difference.

ISTP Provokes disharmony and isolation on a rebellious streak for kicks<--mkay
ENTP Resents the isolation. Occasionally directs a negative comment at the ISTP for kicks; ISTP punches ENTP in the face.

-you must live in an abusive environment my friend.

ENTP narcisistic, complicated, materialistic <--not all of us are extreme; regardless, ISTP hates that :]
ISTP simple, frugal <--ENTP joykill!

-Extreme hardcore nerds maybe. :)

ISTP Easily annoyed
ENTP Annoyed by the ISTP's petty annoyances

-Maybe if you keep talking crap about us we will get annoyed, yes.

ISTP thinks within the box
ENTP thinks outside the box

ISTP's are one of the most creative types, Se function is the definition of creativity the only difference is that we think "outside the box" in the moment. ISTP's are the most "tactful" out of all the sensors.

Both usually only care about people to the extent that they are useful or want something from them.

-if you say so....

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'd ignore PerfectGirl. She's just venting anxious energy, waiting for the rapture to happen. Then we'll all be freed from her vapid thoughts.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Well, based on a platonic relationship with an ISTP friend of mine, it's fun but man, we can totally rub each other the wrong way sometimes.

He can get irritated when I go off on speculative and abstract tangents and I can get irritated when he doesn't run with an idea or when he starts to be condescending cause he doesn't think I have any sense and that my tangents suggest I'm clueless.

But really, we make good friends. And I kind of enjoy it when things get a little antagonistic between us. It's interesting and I like that he calls me out on things. Really we just tease each other a lot and as long as neither of us gets serious about it, it all works out.

I don't think I'd date him. But that's just cause he's him, not cause he's an ISTP.

A

A window to the soul

-ISTPS always ask questions, if anything ISTPs are one of the most curious type due to their strong Ti function so you're defiantly wrong there.

I appreciate the clarification. What you said about Ti makes sense. I'm speculating here... Do you think you ask questions more often in a work related setting because you're trying to learn? My initial thoughts on this were in terms of personal interactions when getting to know someone. The style I recall for the ISTP was a ramble flow; not a mutual curiousity per say. I ask a lot of questions when I'm getting to know someone and I love reciprocation.

Do you think that maybe ya'll need more time to think things through before engaging in personal questions? I'm guessing also, that an ENTP doesn't allow sufficient response time, so we end up talking over y'all, or moving forward in the coversation. Once that happens a couple of times, I'm guessing the ISTP decides what's the use in trying.

See, so many questions! : D

Well, based on a platonic relationship with an ISTP friend of mine, it's fun but man, we can totally rub each other the wrong way sometimes.

He can get irritated when I go off on speculative and abstract tangents and I can get irritated when he doesn't run with an idea or when he starts to be condescending cause he doesn't think I have any sense and that my tangents suggest I'm clueless.

But really, we make good friends. And I kind of enjoy it when things get a little antagonistic between us. It's interesting and I like that he calls me out on things. Really we just tease each other a lot and as long as neither of us gets serious about it, it all works out.

That's been my experience as well and I don't think they appreciate our jokes or speculation when it's at their expense. :p

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I appreciate the clarification. What you said about Ti makes sense. I'm speculating here... Do you think you ask questions more often in a work related setting because you're trying to learn? My initial thoughts on this were in terms of personal interactions when getting to know someone. The style I recall for the ISTP was a ramble flow; not a mutual curiousity per say. I ask a lot of questions when I'm getting to know someone and I love reciprocation.

Do you think that maybe ya'll need more time to think things through before engaging in personal questions? I'm guessing also, that an ENTP doesn't allow sufficient response time, so we end up talking over y'all, or moving forward in the coversation. Once that happens a couple of times, I'm guessing the ISTP decides what's the use in trying.

See, so many questions! : D

That's been my experience as well and I don't think they appreciate our jokes or speculation when it's at their expense. :p

Well you have to understand that all introverts not just ISTP's hate when you ask too many questions about them, this is because we precieve it as a possible threat or attack against us which could infarct be true. When I don't know someone or i'm weary about their presence I can't stand when they try to invade my space and ask all sorts of questions about me, that's just personal. In a work/ school related setting I ask a ton of questions but that's because it's not really personal and it caters towards a general curiosity about things. I think you or possibility other "EN's" have to understand is that not everyone is willing to share personal information so easily and not everyone thinks you are worthy of automatically being their friend. On the contrary If i like you and know you well, I will share my personal self more freely.

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
ENTPxISTP is one of the best matches I've ever experienced. +it's hillarious

R

Riva

I would advice against it.

ENTPs more than any type I know (well I haven't been in some other skin) wants to feel admired. They are in their nature very very boyish. And they want attention. They want their boyish charms to be rewarded. And recognition and admiration is the best way they receive it.

In every stage of their lives they have had someone or a group of people who admired them. Their parents/family when they were kids, their closest friends and teachers (especially he female teachers) during their adolescence, the girls in to their adulthood, their lover for the rest of their lives, their kids when they are parents, etc goes on like this. And the fans in the fan club never drops. The people they met and admired them will always admire them as long as they still remember. (Mind you, ENTPs are not easy to forget.)

ENTPs love to be admired. And love their bad reputation and especially love girls who love their bad reputation :wubbie:. Well anyway this is why ENTPs feels so attracted to ISFJs who love them. They are good attention givers and ENTPs are like rechargeable batteries who needs continuous attention to be charged. They need others in their lives who admire them. Lest they feels a bit down. If you look closely they always seem to hang ou with people who admire them of whom ENTPs bounce off their ideas.

Well I am feeling a bit sleepy now. *Yawns* And I don't believe ISTPs are the ones who are the best at providing those feelings of admiration. But never underestimate the power of love at 1st site. you never know.

Last edited:

jixmixfix

Permabanned
ENTPxISTP is one of the best matches I've ever experienced. +it's hillarious

hahahha it's very funny, me and my ENTP buddy cause a ruckus when we go out we have endless stories. It's like we both have some kind of hidden agena. Partners in crime type of thing.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
ENTPs more than any type I know (well I haven't been in some other skin) wants to feel admired. They are in their nature very very boyish. And they want attention. They want their boyish charms to be rewarded. And recognition and admiration is the best way they receive it.

In every stage of their lives they have had someone or a group of people who admired them. Their parents/family when they were kids, their closest friends and teachers (especially he female teachers) during their adolescence, the girls in to their adulthood, their lover for the rest of their lives, their kids when they are parents, etc goes on like this. And the fans in the fan club never drops. The people they met and admired them will always admire them as long as they have still remember. (Mind you, ENTPs are not easy to forget.)

ENTPs love to be admired. And love their bad reputation and especially love girls who love their bad reputation :wubbie:. Well anyway this is why ENTPs feels so attracted to ISFJs who loves them. They are good attention givers and ENTPs are like rechargeable batteries who needs continuous attention to be charged. They need others in their lives who admire them. Lest they feels a bit down. If you look closely they always seem to hang ou with people who admire them of whom ENTPs bounce off their ideas.

Well I am feeling a bit sleepy now. *Yawns* And I don't believe ISTPs are the ones who are the best at providing those feelings of admiration. But never underestimate the power of love at 1st site. you never know.

well, if your hobbies involve cnc machine building and you have like zero friends having the same hobby and are considered by the majority of people as a total nutjob, you of course crave for someone liking you. If you of course want them to admire you or to worship, you prolly have a God complex.

Normally everywhere I go, I am the über-nerd. Still people respect me cause I am nice to them and I am competent in my things and they can use me. I had far too few istps in my life, only two: my Dad and my best friend. I tend to think of istps as the only ones with whom I can do all the crazy shit coming to mind. I have had the craziest spontaneous ideas with my father and the filthiest booze escapades with my buddy. I dunno, I am convinced if there were no istps I'd have no friends, I'd be quite alone.

I like istps cause I can trust them, I know they wont ever shit me and thats a gift ultimatively rare within humanity. I'd trust my best friend with the life of my kids tho I know he likes to strip in public places when he is drunk. Thats a sort of trust that is completly unique and does only happen if you really love someone.

I have to tell my best friend again that I love him again, I think I'll send him a message now

Besides all that I dont think istps dont like to be liked, why otherwise would they bring so much good humor and one-liners in a group. You dont do that just because it makes you horny (well maybe you dont do that to get horny 90% of the time xD)

R

Riva

well, if your hobbies involve cnc machine building and you have like zero friends having the same hobby and are considered by the majority of people as a total nutjob, you of course crave for someone liking you. If you of course want them to admire you or to worship, you prolly have a God complex.

My post is about ENTP, ISTP relationships/ affairs.Not about friendships. You should read the title of a thread, the OP and the post you are quoting before forming an answer in your head. Because once an answer in formed, no matter how unrelated it is, it is hard not to post it. Which is obviously the case in you/ your post I'm referring to.

R

Riva

And you are referring to ENTP, ISTp frienships, and I was referring to ENTP, ISTP affairs. Gosh how unrelated your reply is.

I have to tell my best friend again that I love him again, I think I'll send him a message now

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
ya, I told the officer today in the morning when he asked me "if i am drunk" that I have a plastic gun in my car that looks like his and "if he wants to see it". He hated that aswell and took me with him in chains to the department...

you know some guys just try too hard