• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and social networking.

Scorquendo

MBTI Type
INTP
Firstly, I just want to say that I've never had a social network account (unless you count Youtube/Vimeo accounts). I don't know; I just never was/am the social networking type ever since they got popular at my high school. I am typically very private and I didn't see the point of a site where many people post the most flattering photos of themselves, doing things they wouldn't normally do, and posting updates of themselves like a celebrity. In a sense, it's like "recreating" an idealized version of yourself online. Don't get me started on facebook "stalking" - but I must admit, when my friends would look up people, I had a few inquiries, myself, lol.

Not that I have anything against the idea, itself; on the contrary, I think it's an ingenious tool that I WISH I would've invented myself. Zuckerberg/the other guys really tapped into that voyeuristic zeitgeist of the people and I admire that. But for some reason, I just wasn't into it.

Anyway, I was fine living w/o it, but last Fall, I transferred to a college a couple hours away from where I live, leaving my close friends behind. I just didn't realize how important social networking was on campus that even some professors set up pages for us (to ask questions or comment). When so many people ask me to "facebook them," I've started to get embarrassed when I say that I don't have one, and they give me this weird look. I didn't care at first, but it's gotten annoying especially when it seems like having one is the only way to make friends, which this year, I've been a loner for the most part. Not to mention, my career plans involve an industry where connections are big. I don't mind being alone - I mean I'm an INTP, lol (90% sure I am) - but my college experience has been a lackluster one to say the least (like high school) and unbridled youth only lasts so long.

I am thinking of getting one, but I just hate the notion of being pressured into doing something I honestly have never had an interest in. Not to mention, I'll have to be "friends" again with people I didn't want to see after high school. It's hard for me to gauge the advantages with the disadvantages.

Any other NTs have this problem? Or is it just me?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have several accounts.

One is for business/work contacts, they can add me if they want, I don't care, I rarely access the profile but it gets them off my case when they ask me if I have a facebook account. I hope to delete this account at some point, in the meantime it's the one I would make look respectable and have viewable by potential employers when job hunting.

One is for people I know irl and would like to stay in contact with but do not see on a regular basis, it can be quite useful to know what is going on, I log in every once in a while to keep abreast of things but I never post anything on my wall. If someone tags me in a photo the tag will be removed, I purposely don't want people to know what's happening with me.

One is for online people (and citiville :wub: )

All in all I do not use it as a social networking tool very much, it lets me know what's happening with other people who seem to use fb as their only way of telling people what's happening and as such is quite useful, but it doesn't tell them what's going on with me.

If your professors are using it to communicate with students you would be putting yourself at a disadvantage by not setting up an account.

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
It's actually really practical for the social life especially for NTs I think. You don't need to think much about partys and other events, you can organize everything necessary like where to go, who's the driver, etc. in a few moments. And we're usually the ones who want to think about stuff like that the least.

Additionally, there are the things you mention. So, I highly recommend to make an account; You don't need to do much or reveal much about you, simply use it to make organizing stuff easier.

Auguris

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
In general, online social networking is great. Conversation is a hell of a lot easier when I have time to think out what I want to say instead of throwing out a snap reaction.

I don't like Facebook. I had one for years, but eventually I deleted it. Partly because of privacy issues, partly because of all the old high school "friends" who had treated me like garbage that wanted me to be their Facebook friend. Unfortunately Facebook has become something of a social norm, so I recreated mine, using a nickname instead of my full name so my old high school chums couldn't find me. I don't use it, but at least when someone asks I can tell them I have one. It's the same as holding a drink in your hand and never taking more than a sip -- I don't want any alcohol, but at least if I pretend everyone will stop trying to give it to me.

Scorquendo

MBTI Type
INTP
In general, online social networking is great. Conversation is a hell of a lot easier when I have time to think out what I want to say instead of throwing out a snap reaction.

Lol, that was one of the first advantages I thought about. I usually like my thoughts to be heard, but in public, I usually don't have the quick enough tongue to do so and afraid to sound boring or incompetent. This is also true when arguing.

>so I recreated mine, using a nickname instead of my full name so my old high school chums couldn't find me. I don't use it, but at least when someone asks I can tell them I have one. It's the same as holding a drink in your hand and never taking more than a sip -- I don't want any alcohol, but at least if I pretend everyone will stop trying to give it to me.

Lol.

Argentum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I have a facebook, but I really only use it to accept contacts from other people, and only if they are school or work related. I don't accept friends requests from family--my thesis advisors don't need to see pictures of me as a child in the bathtub. Neither does anyone else in my opinion, but I dare *you* to try convincing my ESFJ mother otherwise...

I refuse to search people out, but, I find this works to my advantage in keeping the masses down.

I do however keep a Livejournal for personal and hobby related reasons. Nobody in real life knows that it exists, and I have several close online-only friends there. This is where I spend most of my online social time.

I hear you, though. My facebook has like 200 friends (I need to go through them--some are from early in undergrad and I knew who they were once, but not anymore!) but "friend" is a generous term for most. I don't care much for the merging of my online and offline lives...it makes me uncomfortable. Like they're getting into my personal space.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a Facebook account, the main reason being that for some of my friends and relatives its their primary means of communication. If I'm not on Facebook, its hard to keep in touch with certain people. I don't use the Facebook applications and don't update my status that often. I only check it about 1-2 times a week. I limit my Facebook friends to relatives, closer friends, and coworkers.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i have resisted facebook for a long time. nowadays i think i could join there, but i dont want to add some people as friends and i dunno how they would react if i wouldnt add them, and i dont care to find that out either. also my mom is there and i wouldnt want her to know if i joined there also, but she friended my best friend so..

i have been thinking of making some acco for internet friends only tho, but dunno its not really that big of a deal.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is such a E/I difference it's not even funny anymore.

I have a FB, 13 email adresses, youtube account, alot of fourm accounts, erepublik account and alot of mmo accounts.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9

This. Having time to think over what you want to say without having people staring at you as if you were a freak is the best thing about them.

Not to mention the chance to edit your profile wall as to leave only relevant content.

Auguris said:
I don't like Facebook. I had one for years, but eventually I deleted it. Partly because of privacy issues, partly because of all the old high school "friends" who had treated me like garbage that wanted me to be their Facebook friend. Unfortunately Facebook has become something of a social norm, so I recreated mine, using a nickname instead of my full name so my old high school chums couldn't find me. I don't use it, but at least when someone asks I can tell them I have one. It's the same as holding a drink in your hand and never taking more than a sip -- I don't want any alcohol, but at least if I pretend everyone will stop trying to give it to me.

My creepy, former high-school classmates are the reason why I learnt about the 'block user' feature.

I don't hate FB, since it has given me lots of both personal and professional opportunities. If you know how to use it properly, you'll be fine.

OMH

MBTI Type
INTP
People get mad at me for not getting on my facebook account frequently enough ^__^;

Scorquendo

MBTI Type
INTP
it seems like based on the responses here, most NTs just have accounts either to not be bothered to get one, or to blend in easier socially, which is pretty much the reasons why i'd be interested in getting one, lol.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
I had facebook for a while but only to keep in touch with somebody (at their urging) while they were overseas. I deleted it soon after they came back and I had a below average number of "friends". I'm not attracted to the idea of social networking. i don't care about if you're studying for your bio exam or that you lost a contact or what result you got in some stupid test or that you're playing a game. STFU. Facebook has got to be one of dullest websites on the internet. I don't like having to put up personal information up there. How many friends i have, what we're talking about or planning, if i'm seeing anyone, where i work and how many photos I'm in. i don't like being able to be contacted and checked up on at the whim of others. I don't have a social lifestyle and i don't want that to be easily accessible knowledge, because such a lifestyle is mocked and scorned. I had no genuine photos of myself being at a party to put up as my profile image (as everybody else did). I don't let people know that I'm reclusive, although it can't be too hard to figure it out. So I suppose that my own shame of my lifestyle makes facebook so unappealing to me. Not inherent shame, it's just i don't feel like being pecked ot death and viewed like i'm failing at life (when I'm not!). Inviting people to events over facebook is so informal and insecure as well. I don't want everyone to know, what about those who weren't invited, what about when it's me who's not invited?! (although there is probably a privacy setting, it's still very informal).
i don't want people to know that i'm up at 4 am on the computer. I turned all the privacy settings up to hyperdrive and did not fill out any of the personal information boxes properly, preffering to put a smart alec response or leaving them blank instead.

Although there are advantages, dating being one. Facebook is inbetween the just talking zone and asking for their phone number and helps the transition. asking for a number is a big move and can go wrong. It's also good for looking for people that you have lost contact with.
If i still had an account, i'd probably have a few TypoC members on there.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a Facebook for awhile, but deleted it a few months ago. It, like most other social networking sites in my opinion, failed to really produce anything of substance, and quickly became just another internet outlet for which to engage in mundane banter with individuals who would only be considered Friends through title rather than through any sort of actual bond. I still reactive my account briefly every now and again just to get a peek at what's going on with a few people, yet I have very little interest in actually interacting with them directly.

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I'm friends with Captain Jean Luc Picard on Facebook... :happy0065:

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do have a Facebook account but I seldom make use of it; I prefer keeping in touch via email. None of my long-distance friends use it as their primary means of communication anyway.

That said, I do have about 200 "friends" on Facebook simply because I don't stop people from adding me as long as I recognize them.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't do facebook. I really and truly fail to see the appeal, having looked at my friends' accounts, but I guess if I were in a business where I needed to network, I'd suck it up and get one. I mostly can't be bothered with social networking sites, though. Just seems like another pointless obligation.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I don't do facebook. I really and truly fail to see the appeal, having looked at my friends' accounts, but I guess if I were in a business where I needed to network, I'd suck it up and get one. I mostly can't be bothered with social networking sites, though. Just seems like another pointless obligation.

As usual, Tallulah has already said what I'd planned to :D.

Except that I think if I were in a business that required it, I'd still balk at actually using it. I do have a Facebook account, because my sister sort of persuaded me to get one, but I never use it. Haven't logged on to it in months, and I don't think I've *ever* posted anything to it. Frankly I'm thinking about deleting it.

Mostly I just can't understand why anyone would want to broadcast personal details of their life, even if it's just the mundane stuff. When social networking was first coming about, I distinctly remember laughing and thinking "yeah, like that'll ever go anywhere -- who on earth would want to do that?" Apparently I was wrong :rolleyes:. But it does seem like an unnecessary obligation, intrusive, and the privacy (or more accurately, lack of privacy) aspects of it are just horrifying.

No thank you.