• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs who like neither math nor science

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
do you exist?

yes i realize this question is stereotypical, but i am curious how much it plays out.

The_World_As_Will

I don't like math, never did, never will :p as for science, if its of interest, and not TOO technical, than I love it, it's interesting to see how things have developed but :shrug: I'd rather stick to social sciences.... well maybe theoretical physics can stay but :p anything else is meh, Good for those who get it and appreciate it, but I hate the science worship that people have apparently adopted. Hmm wonder if this comment strips away my INTP Badge...

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Blasphemy!

But I'm curious too. Please explain WHY, if you will (well, if any).

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't care for math or science. I like subjects that are based around the study of humanity in some way. I'm more interested in how people tick, why they behave the way they do. But of course, as an INTP, I like to observe from a distance rather than getting my hands dirty and having to interact. :smile: I've never cared about math at all, but sometimes I wish I found science more interesting than I do. It's enough for me that things work, and that there are people who are good at making them work. If I were forced into survival/invention mode, I'd start caring a lot more, because it would be necessary.

KDude

I don't care for math or science. I like subjects that are based around the study of humanity in some way. I'm more interested in how people tick, why they behave the way they do. But of course, as an INTP, I like to observe from a distance rather than getting my hands dirty and having to interact. :smile: I've never cared about math at all, but sometimes I wish I found science more interesting than I do. It's enough for me that things work, and that there are people who are good at making them work. If I were forced into survival/invention mode, I'd start caring a lot more, because it would be necessary.

Lets assume my new [rediscovered] typing is true. We're both oddballs then. Because I love science.

On a sidenote, I haven't actually done anything about it. I regret not taking it as seriously in my youth. And it's impractical to start a career in it at my age (that is, if I wanted some level of autonomy or experimentation. Seems like even PhDs do a lot of gruntwork in some fields, and senior scientists retire late in life).

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I love both Maths, and Physics (did both at university), but I stopped believing in Physics by the time my head stopped saying so. I don't squeeze theoretical concepts in Physics into my mind that I don't understand.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't really have an interest in math at all, but I do find various of areas of science absolutely fascinating. I'd say my biggest areas of interest are music and psychology.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm good at those subjects, but I don't necessarily care to make them my main focus or main area of interest. I can delve into math and science pretty deeply and hold my own, but the deeper I go into numbers and science, I always end up with this question in my head: "Who really cares?" I mean, we definitely need people who understand science and I'm glad that I have good doctors when I need one and I'm glad we have "earthquake experts" and "nuclear physicists" and all that stuff. They bring expertise to the world in those areas. Like Tallulah mentioned, I'm more interested in humanity and people and personality dynamics and what makes people tick and do the things they do. I like to study organizations (by observing interactions) and relationships, in the workplace, out on the street, etc. Science and math are kinda cool, but for me, at the end of the day - when life is all said and done, when I'm on my death bed, I'm not going to be thinking, "Man, I really wish I had spent more time learning about science. I think I really missed the boat - I should have spent more time on physics and molecules and junk." Instead, I'm more interested in people - either 1-on-1, or "humanity as a whole" - the state of man, the condition we are in, how are we different now compared to 100 years ago, have we lost something of value in that time, how do we get it back, etc.

I think INTP 5w6's are more the science experts, while INTP 5w4's have more the artistic flare - or more of a bent towards humanity. I'm not saying I'm a huge "people person" - I'm fairly introverted and the T wants to focus on organization rather than on people - but I like to study the "organization of people", etc. My signature (education of the heart) ties into this as well. Science is cool, numbers are cool, but if we feed our brains with all this intricate knowledge and neglect the things of the heart and the things having to do with the overall well-being of people, then what good is it? If we can perform complex brain surgery and send people to Mars, that's GREAT! But, if the condition of man (his internal contentment, his abililty to cohabitate and get along well with his fellow man, and to lead a happy, meaninguful life, is he TRULY happy?) - if our condition and our internal happiness are decreasing with each generation, then who gives a crap about science? If those things continue to happen, then we're missing the boat. Science has its place, but at some point we have to set the science aside and focus on one another and our condition.

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
I have a huge amount of respect for and appreciation of science, scientific methodology/philosophy, and the scientific community, but beyond casually reading wiki articles about various hard science topics occasionally, the specifics don't interest me all that much.
I don't think I would find it to be a fulfilling career.

Never been that into math, either.

Jwill

MBTI Type
INTJ
When I was growing up, I loved math and science. When I got into high school, everything got a bit more complicated and technical (and I had a few really terrible teachers). I just lost interest. I was one of the best in my class growing up, but I just lost the motivation to study. I was still good at math, but I just didn't see the point in it. I didn't feel like I could relate to it on a personal level. Science I liked better, but I just thought it was too tedious and dull to make a career out of. I didn't have a passion for it.

Anyway, I love English and history. I like learning about ideas that directly relate to my humanity. Where has the human race been? Where is it headed? I really dislike learning minor details, and I can't stand getting wrapped up in technicalities (unless it comes to computer technology). I think that English and history appeal to many of my INTJ characteristics. I love stories because of the possibilities and potential that they possess. The course of human events could have gone in so many different directions, but for some reason, they followed one particular path. Why? That's only one of the reasons I love history.

amazingdatagirl

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm more interested in how people tick, why they behave the way they do. But of course, as an INTP, I like to observe from a distance rather than getting my hands dirty and having to interact.
My bachelor's degree is in mathematics but there are only certain areas that appeal to me - mainly discrete mathematics and statistics. Science was a weak point - too much memorization.

The whole NT math/science stereotype (especially science) is more characteristic of Te users or ENTPs (they need stuff to play with). INTPs can be attracted to humanitarian topics for a number of reasons:
  • As non-directive types, we are incurably lazy. Beyond high school level, math and science require some degree of dedication.
  • We live in our heads and aren't compelled to change our environment (Te) or break things explore our surroundings like ENTP (Ne-Ti)
  • Fe is our Anima - aka the "aspirational" function. We are both puzzled and fascinated by the mystery of socialization.

Last edited:

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
LOVE science in just about any form! Hate math for the sake of math...unless I need it, then it is fine.

MoneyTick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I found them to be easy subjects, but they bored me to the max in school. Fourteen useless credits of Insanity 101 in my book.

But Finance, ahhhhhh - It's so refreshing and invigorating.

I can get lost for hours on Bloomberg or CNBC, and I literally read every singe page of every economics and finance textbook in college. I even answered the questions at the end of each chapter even though none were assigned.

Yea, consider me a money-freak geek.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I actually thought I would end up doing something mathy and sciencey growing up. Then I went to college and discovered upper level math and science wasn't like high school math and science...you actually had to have some sort of interest in it...and not want to do it because "it's challenging in a fun sort of way".

So, while I'm capable of finding enjoyment in both math and science, I'm much more people-centric.

But I'm not sure this would be indicative of a general trend among intps. We are on a people-centric type of forum...I'd imagine the intps that like math and science would be more readily found on forums centered around those subjects...

However..interesting tangent. "Are intps the most extroverted of the introverts?" I'm guessing the nt mentality of wanting to improve in every facet of life...and inferior Fe..would make us fairly Fe centric. We know we suck with people...and we don't like sucking...so we devote a lot of our time to not sucking with people. But, instead of, you know, talking to people and getting to know them...we just think about them. Eventually we learn we need more data to analyze...so we start actually talking to people...and then we start working and re-working our people theories...only to figure out people are extremely inconsistent...which both angers and intrigues us....

ha..that might just be me though..

OMH

MBTI Type
INTP
Well I like math, natural sciences, and social sciences! :] it's all super puzzling and awesome! >_> what is this blasphemy about not liking math and natural science...?

Scorquendo

MBTI Type
INTP
i like math; in fact, i prefer it at times because you only have to worry about ONE answer. when it's all essays, things can get boring having term papers every quarter which warrant several answers. with science, i only liked astronomy, but struggled with chem and bio because i thought the terminology was boring (i still got Bs, but i crammed)

A bigger question: Are there any NTs who do not like Philosophy?

(I'm a Philosophy major, btw, and it seems Philosophy is the subject that encompasses all the 'N's interests, since it's mainly discussion of ideas and possibilities)

rav3n

Can't say I was crazy about math but I could do it. I don't have the natural talent like the rest of my family. As far as sciences, found them all interesting but none were loves enough to take as majors. I'm still interested in a number of sciences but only for fun.

E - Mark me down as another NT who enjoys philosophy.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
i like math; in fact, i prefer it at times because you only have to worry about ONE answer. when it's all essays, things can get boring having term papers every quarter which warrant several answers. with science, i only liked astronomy, but struggled with chem and bio because i thought the terminology was boring (i still got Bs, but i crammed)

A bigger question: Are there any NTs who do not like Philosophy?

(I'm a Philosophy major, btw, and it seems Philosophy is the subject that encompasses all the 'N's interests, since it's mainly discussion of ideas and possibilities)

Philosophy bores me quickly. It all seems pretty useless for the most part.

Scorquendo

MBTI Type
INTP
It all seems pretty useless for the most part.

i wouldn't say it's mainly useless. i mean, you are applying some of the same rational principles seen in math and science to topics that transcend math and science. where would we be without ethics, logic, metaphysics, and epistemology? one could argue that w/o phil, we wouldn't have these subjects.

the only major problem i can undestand with philosophy is the fickleness of it where there never really is an exact answer, or if there is, it's that we can never be sure of it.