• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTP's and drug (ab)use

PH.

MBTI Type
INTP
I have read in some other thread today that INTP's don't do drugs to escape. I'm curious if more XNTP's share this opinion. Why do you use drugs? Have you ever been a drug abuser and what were your motivations? Are NTP's more prone to drug abuse than other types?

I myself don't use drugs much. I did have had a slight alcohol problem in the past and sometimes I use my prescribed ritalin for other purposes than medicinal. Though it was never my intention to escape reality. It was more of a... suppression of my, back then really dominant, Ti. Whenever I used drugs it was to just stop thinking too much and hand myself over to my feelings. Luckily I've gotten the hang of doing that without drugs today, that period is now over.

So what are your experiences/opinions/thoughts?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gotta run to class...

... all people are different, even within the same type.

I've used alcohol at various times in my life to help me loosen up, forget my problems, etc., but never for long. Just for a quick, temporary fix. I don't really do that much nowadays, although I'll drink to have fun on occasion.

I have not abused actual drugs (except for caffeine, not a controlled substance), because I don't want to get an addiction on my back. Might not happen, but it's not worth the risk. If I would do any drug, it would be more out of curiousity than wanting to take it more regularly.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lets see, most INTPs I know drink, and many smoke marijuana.

I think I also read something somewhere that INTPs led all types as the most likely to run afoul of drug and alcohol regulations in college.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
How could an entire population of a type be immune to escapism? I definitely don't think that's possible.

If you're talking about INTPs often wanting to use drugs for reasons other than escapism, that's different. It might be true that some types are interested in drugs out of sheer curiosity, or wanting novel experiences, or interest in exploring what the brain can do under the influence. None of that means the type as a whole is any less prone to substance use for escapist reasons as well.

These days I often drink to stop thinking so much. Not to "forget" about my problems exactly, but to quiet all the constant rumination and worry for awhile. So yes, escapism.

PH.

MBTI Type
INTP
... all people are different, even within the same type.

Just wondering if there is a pattern to this. The whole reason I opened this topic :D

I know a couple of NTP's that only drink alcohol in moderation, because they don't like the feeling of loosing the ability to think clearly too much. I can kind of relate to that. I do like drinking socially or using drugs by myself, but only when I'm somewhat in control of my thoughts. I know how much booze I can take before bad things happen, and so I prevent myself from doing that. That's also the reason why I would never use hallucinogenics. Taking that I'd be way too far from anything logical. Those kind of drugs even scare the shit out of me xD

How could an entire population of a type be immune to escapism? I definitely don't think that's possible.

I also didn't agree on that. And escapism could also be prominent in different ways. Escaping previous experiences, escaping thinking, escaping feeling etc. The only situation in which escapism isn't a motivation is when drug is used out of sheer curiousity or some sort of social lubricant. (but even in the latter you are sometimes sort of escaping not being socially lubricated enough)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i cant escape with alcohol or weed(i dont use things like amphetamines or opiates), if something is bothering me and im intoxicated, i just feel them more strongly. i wouldnt even want to escape things that are bothering me, because they bother me because i havent dealt with them properly. escaping from problems or other things that are bothering you, you are just pushing them deeper into unconscious and thats where the real damage comes.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know a couple of NTP's that only drink alcohol in moderation, because they don't like the feeling of loosing the ability to think clearly too much.

Yeah, that's part of the "personal preference" thing. The same experience might be anywhere from horrible to beneficial for INTPs.

For me, my sociability and wild-firing goes way up when I drink (at least until i drink too much and fall asleep). Meanwhile, my thinking loosens up and is not such a dictator; sometimes I find it to be a relief to not have to carry that excruciating, domineering internal monologue all the time. (I typically have trouble sleeping sometimes because I can't stop thinking.)

I know how much booze I can take before bad things happen, and so I prevent myself from doing that.

Yeah. I am into temporary release, without permanent harm. I typically avoid risk of permanent problems where possible.

That's also the reason why I would never use hallucinogenics. Taking that I'd be way too far from anything logical. Those kind of drugs even scare the shit out of me xD

There's that, plus the reality that incontrollable flashbacks occur with some of them, plus the possibility of getting a monkey on my back that I do not want. So I've typically veered away from that stuff.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
While I've had drugs offered to me before (mostly hash and weed) and I'm pretty curious, I've never done any and don't intend to change that. I have little self control, and I don't trust myself to know when to stop when I'm altering my mental state with intoxicants. It's why I don't drink very much either (maybe a drink, max 2 on a night out). So yeah, while I'm tempted to try weed I don't actually want to do it because I know damn well what I'm like. It's not worth it.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't do drugs at all, and my main reason for that is that I want to stay myself at all times.

Now when I was in my late teens, I experimented very briefly with marihuana but hated it, although I was a pretty heavy alcoholic. I've had a pretty hard time for a few years, not knowing my place and I was an unhealthy INTP with an unhealthy attitude and lifestyle, some bad stuff happened, I had to do something about. So I turned that around when I was 21 and have been clean of all drugs since. And I swear, right from the start, I felt so much better, and never even had the urge to get a beer or whatever. Although I lost a ton of friends in the process, but well, it did prove what kind of friends I had in the first place, hehe.

There's just nothing in the world of drugs that appeals to me one bit.. Heck, I'm even hesitant to take a pain killer if I feel I can manage the pain without having it intervene with my life, and only take them, and few of them in as small a dose as possible, if I have to work.

priestessofmars

MBTI Type
INFJ
The ENTP's I know seem to be very shaman-like. Not all of them of course and to varying degrees but I would think that the ENTP mindset is made for exploring the inner world as is the INTP mind.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I've only ever done weed and alcohol...

I've used both excessively before...but I never really considered myself an "abuser" of them. I'm just very curious as to how much I can change my perceptions so I naturally went all out. The good thing is...once I went all out...and discovered what exactly they can do to you...then they just became a tool to use to get a certain result that I desired.

And I've probably used drugs for all the reasons a person would ever want to...to escape..to get a pseudo-happiness...to explore my mind...to explore my feelings...as a reward for doing something else.. I don't regret doing drugs...I just regret not doing them more responsibly. Honestly, when my kids are old enough and I think they are going to explore drugs anyway..I rather have them explore them with someone who is more experienced. I, being the introvert that I am, did most of my drugs by myself. Not necessarily a bad thing...but I could see how that could get out of hand...

I'm not sure I'll ever do a new type of drug. I'd have to know someone who knows what they are doing...and I don't know too many drug users. But there are more important things in life...so I'm not particularly saddened by that...

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I am sure an INTP sub type is "The Stoner"

Like the guy in this video :)
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwDRBm-qbQI"].[/YOUTUBE]

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Drugs disinterest me, honestly. I've yet to take one that "opens your third eye to the inner world of the inner world of the inner world." :laugh:

What I mean is, I tend to find drugs pointless and limiting rather than an interesting, new way of viewing the world. I'm in a much better position to do such a thing when I'm sober.

Although one or two alcoholic drinks after a long week can be really pleasant and fun.

A

A window to the soul

When your ass is in a sling, reach for a crutch??

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
In My case it's the best thing for adult AHDD.. I am also arthritic.. I am on the waiting list to go see the Medical Weed Doctor and get a legal prescription.

I smoke weed because I don't drink.. and In the name of fairness I should have something to take the edge off too.
There is something so anti democratic about the drug law mess

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All I've tried is alcohol, in a lot of forms, all of which tasted horrible, fortunately. I tried too hard to ''join the group'' when i was younger.
Nowadays, I can't stand drunk people and their nonsense and definitely wouldn't want to be in their place. The idea of getting less rational does not sound appealing to me.
I reserve the right to change my mind after the lapse of 5 years. Thanks. :happy2:

Hera

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I've never done any drug that wasn't pharmaceutical and can count the times I drank. I am really apathetic about substances. I don't really feel like I need them.