• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Are ISTPs actually closer with INTJ, ENTP and ENTJ than with INTP?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is something that I tought about last day. I mean ISTPs are Ti dom, and that make them share some commons issues with NTs. At the same time, ENTx and INTJs are considered as more pragmatic and action oriented, and, especially for xNTJs, more practical. We share also the chart-the-course interaction style with INTJs and and Se and Ni with xNTJs, plus the Te process and the Ti-Se process have a lot in common. On other side, INTP are considered as the most oriented toward pure knowledge and lack of action of all type, wich is not really an ISTP issue. What do you think about?

xisnotx

Permabanned
Well...

I think theoretically no type is supposed to be "more" like another. It's like a 16 point shape where each point is equally different/the same from all other points. 16 dimensions.

So theoretically..an intp and an istp will have as much in common as an istp and esfj. (It might not be the same stuff they are "the same" in..but I think theoretically the amount of "stuff" they will be the same in will be the same..)<- I know this probably makes no sense to anyone but me...I don't know how to put it any better.

I don't think the mbti is supposed to be a continuum from esfj-intp where those two are polar opposites. It's more of a conglomeration..so given that...theoretically your question has no real answer unless you define what you mean by "more" alike.

So an istp and intp are the same in the sense they both share Ti.
etc etc

if you are looking for external measures...
an istp and intp are completely different. intps use Ne and Fe and istps use Se and Te. Externally istps should be more like those who use Se and Te.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, it is what I think. When I started to learn about MBTI, I thought it was a sort of ESFJ-INTP continuum, but the more I studyed it, the more I realised that it is not really that, of course I very much in common with INTPs in some sie, but on other side, I can feel closer with ESFx. It depends.

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
If I were to choose one of the 16 MBTI types to pick as most likely "buddy" material, I would have to say I've historically had the best rapport with ISTPs of any type I've been around.

The one's I've befriended, I've found myself getting along with pretty well, usually having a lot of mutual and complimentary interests.
Above all I tend to appreciate their sense of humor, admire their ability to get shit done, and envy their disposition to genuinely not give a shit about anyone else's opinion.*
Fun folks.

*edit* Forgot to mention, I disagree with your last statement in the OP.
Most of the ISTPs I've run into have immense stores of knowledge, both practical and theoretical in nature.

So, eh, in summary, I dunno about the technicalities of them being "closer" to INTPs, typologically speaking, but anecdotally, I've found them to be the easiest to identify with of any type.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The ISTP's I've known are "doers" in the sense that they like to be active - Se drives them to engage the physical world. For INTP's, Ne sort of does that, but we don't necessarily have to be outside or touching things or taking things apart. We can just read something and we feel engaged. So, ISTP's seem more "active", but they are also very different than J's. The ISTP's I've known have been big procrastinators about getting things done. One friend I knew needed to fix the subfloor in the hallway of his house. One day he ripped up the carpet and threw it away. 3 weeks later, he took out 1 section of the subfloor and replaced it. A month later he took out another small section of the subfloor (same hallway) and replaced it. About 2 more weeks later, he took out the last section and replaced it. About 6 months later he replaced the carpet over the new subfloor. When an ESTJ saw all of this, he said to the ISTP, "It took you 9 months to do a job that I could have done in 4 hours. Sup with that?"

ISTP's can definitely get stuff done when they need to, but so can INTP's. But, in my experience, these 2 types are nothing like J's when it comes to "getting stuff done". J's tend to be "work first, play later". P's tend to be "play first, work later". If you have a job, you can't really do that, but that's what P's usually want or prefer.

I am very much like the ISTP's I've known - everything except the differences between Se and Ne. Se wants to "experience" the outdoors, experience "things" and "stuff" and "how to do things" and "how things work". Ne, at least for me, is more observational, more far-fetched, more dreamy, head in the clouds. Se and Ne have similar senses of humor though. They find me funny and I find them funny.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
In my experience, ISTPs are very much concrete thinkers and immerse themselves in the practical, physical world rather than the world of ideas and possibilities. My brother is an ISTP and we couldn't be more different.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ISTPs seem similar to me in the sense that we're physically inclined, realistic and not really so natural at the feelings thing.

However, my S/N and P/J are really close, so I'm an ESTP half the time.

PH.

MBTI Type
INTP
I agree with INTPness. My boyfriend, who I'm dating for three years now, is a walking chemistry and physics book. That's what I like about him, apart from his sensitive and outgoing side. It feels like... we both like exploring science and stuff, but I'm more of the abstract type and he's more concrete. I'm like theory's more and he likes calculating everything, and we both admire each other for our mindsets. What I lack he fills up with his knowledge and vice versa.

Though sometimes I do feel he lacks Ne, and it can get annoying when I'm tired, but mostly we do fine :) I feel really close with him, but not on a Ne-level.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
In socionics, ISTP-INTJ-ENTJ-INFP are so-called synergistic thinkers, result-dynamic-positive. Some sort of intellectual lightweight, able to hold his own in most wit battles, but with a general orientation geared towards real-world impact.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Those types are intellectual lightweights? News to me.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
"Are ISTPs actually closer with INTJ, ENTP and ENTJ than with INTP?"

I've found it pretty easy to share personal info with the first 3 types for sure, especially ENTP friends. I'm married to an ENTJ (he typed that way, I'm not sure he's the stereotype ENTJ tho).

The problem with ENTP friends is that with one of them, his loyalty was not with me. So I stopped talking to him. I couldn't tell him anything without him blabbing to other people. The other ENTP was fine tho. Good dude, no drama.

The INTJ was pretty easy to talk to as well. I feel like he kept everything confidential. The problem arose when his insecure gf had issues with us being friends. Being a horny dude, he ultimately chose to obey his gf and ditch me as a friend. Not officially, but that's pretty much what happened. :(

And ENTJ husband... Obviously I'm comfortable telling him things. He established very early on that his loyalty was to me. I definitely appreciated that after being burned by the crappy ENTP I described and the INTJ for ditching me like that when I have an ESTP who had many an argument with his gf about how she couldn't pick his friends.

If some of my friends in college are/were INTPs (I believe they tested that way back then)...then I'll say I could talk to them about a lot, but not everything. They were awkward about romantic stuff. Probably because at some point they had a crush on me. :rolli:

I have a very good friend who said she used to test as INTP when she was younger but tests as INTJ now...and she's freakin' awesome. I can talk to her about anything and she's a great friend.

I seem to like ETSx, xNTJ and xNFP types best.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
ISTPs are cool, as long as you keep the drama away from them :). I generally think Ti - doms are prone to being kinda stubborn and this similiarity between intp and istp could lead to a misunderstanding. As an entp you can more easy take the shit the other one talks about and say "yes sir you are right" :).

I've noticed the issue in the thread title aswell, I'ld type my Dad istp and my grandpa intp. They virtually hate each other, tho it's often that they are quite similiar just with different intentions, from different world views. Well, since they both dont change, they will never get along :/

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I generally think Ti - doms are prone to being kinda stubborn

What? We're not stubborn! What in the world gives you that impression? Exactly what have we done to ever give you the impression that we are stubborn? This is ridiculous. Let me explain to you what the true definition of stubborn is and then you will see that we are not at all "stubborn". :devil: Like that?

As an entp you can more easy take the shit the other one talks about and say "yes sir you are right" :).

Do you see this as being a result of Ne being more prominent than Ti?

I'ld type my Dad istp and my grandpa intp. They virtually hate each other, tho it's often that they are quite similiar just with different intentions, from different world views. Well, since they both dont change, they will never get along :/

This is how I've been with ISTP's. Sort of a love-hate thing. Mutual respect/admiration because we recognize certain similarities, yet the different "world view" is sometimes a problem and we won't speak for 6 months (not mad, just need some time away from each other), and then get back together and have as much fun as if we'd seen each other yesterday. And then, slowly, the differences start to become apparent again. Repeat cycle.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
What? We're not stubborn! What in the world gives you that impression? Exactly what have we done to ever give you the impression that we are stubborn? This is ridiculous. Let me explain to you what the true definition of stubborn is and then you will see that we are not at all "stubborn". :devil: Like that?

Hehe, well stubborn may not be the right word; but I rarely met an intp who was incorrect. Let's just say they have been working on their reputation :).

Do you see this as being a result of Ne being more prominent than Ti?

Yes, Ne makes no judgement. It often just doesnt care, what does lead to other problems. Best example is me, I sometimes answer the same thread twice and have a different opinion without noticing it... depends on the mood, but dom-ne is everything else but constant or true. I tend to think of intps as being true

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I/E of the same types are the only ones that are alike more than any other type is to another.

For example for INTP's, Ti and Ne work together, but Ti has control. For ENTP's Ne and Ti work together, but Ne gets to call the shots. Both are different from each other, but the processes that make them who they are, have similar roots. Similar foundations.

ISTP's and INTP's may share the same dominant function. But the entire foundation is very different. INTP is to an ENTP like a Mercedes C is to a Mercedes CLK. Whilest ISTP is a BMW Z3!

What I am really trying to say is that we are all german made cars. :yes:

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, Ne makes no judgement. It often just doesnt care, what does lead to other problems. Best example is me, I sometimes answer the same thread twice and have a different opinion without noticing it... depends on the mood, but dom-ne is everything else but constant or true. I tend to think of intps as being true

Luckily we have Ne in the background going, "Hey you! Don't forget about me!" I'm sooo glad to have Ne as part of my personality - otherwise I'm afraid I'd be COMPLETELY insufferable.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
ISTP's and INTP's may share the same dominant function. But the entire foundation is very different. INTP is to an ENTP like a Mercedes C is to a Mercedes CLK. Whilest ISTP is a BMW Z3!

What I am really trying to say is that we are all german made cars. :yes:

You also seem to be saying that ENTP's are an "upgrade" from INTP's? LOL. Or maybe I'm wrong about that. I don't really know my cars that well. You should have said something like "ENTP's are like a Volkswagen, INTP's are like a Turbo Volkswagen - a little bit faster, a little bit sexier." Just kidding - just wanted to rile up my ENTP brethren.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
well you can buy a mercedes 350 SEL and you'll have a muscle car of its time with an insane yet sufficient amount of HP for all life situations. And then of course you can buy a 560 SEC which is a total overstatement of what the car really was and does produce only a lot of hot air. I dunno I'ld rather go with the intp 350 SEL :)

560sec_520.jpg

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
well you can buy a mercedes 350 SEL and you'll have a muscle car of its time with an insane yet sufficient amount of HP for all life situations. And then of course you can buy a 560 SEC which is a total overstatement of what the car really was and does produce only a lot of hot air. I dunno I'ld rather go with the intp 350 SEL :)

Oh, so now you're calling me a 560 SEC, huh? :D