• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT rationals, a question! What do you think?

Viva_Hate

MBTI Type
INTP
Hi everyone, I have what may seem like an odd or silly question, but it's piqued my curiousity and this seems like the right place to ask it if I want a good response...
A number of years ago in my first year of college I took the official MBTI test and came up as an INTP. However I've since misplaced the documentation with said results- and several online tests (albeit unofficial) have classified me as an INTJ. Now, my question. Is it possible for test results to change? I feel silly even asking, something that hardwired can't change, right?
Maybe I'm more firm in judgments about life than I was then, but I put that mostly on having matured over the last 5 years... and having the last 5 years to make decisions and come to conclusions. But I'll cut this off before that tangent gets longer.
Thanks, I'm eager to hear whatever you have to say on the subject!

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm new to this and someone else will be doing a better reply but, yes, I think one can change that way depending on how close they were to the border. Like when you see INTX.. they're right on it. BTW... I'm not sure but I don't think on the "J" your thinking is exact... "J" just means one likes closure... ending possibilities. While "P" means liking to leave things open... options.

Viva_Hate

MBTI Type
INTP
That pretty much is what I meant, though I could have explained better... The general idea I have gotten from reading up on the subject was that Js tend to be more inflexible, firm in beliefs and yes, the idea of closure. Maybe I'm just thinking out loud, musing. By the way, I'm new to this too- I do appreciate your responding.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Is it possible for test results to change? I feel silly even asking, something that hardwired can't change, right?
Maybe I'm more firm in judgments about life than I was then, but I put that mostly on having matured over the last 5 years... and having the last 5 years to make decisions and come to conclusions. But I'll cut this off before that tangent gets longer.

Short answer: anything's possible, it's only a theory
Long answer: I can't be bothered to write a long answer.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Hi everyone, I have what may seem like an odd or silly question, but it's piqued my curiousity and this seems like the right place to ask it if I want a good response...
A number of years ago in my first year of college I took the official MBTI test and came up as an INTP. However I've since misplaced the documentation with said results- and several online tests (albeit unofficial) have classified me as an INTJ. Now, my question. Is it possible for test results to change? I feel silly even asking, something that hardwired can't change, right?

I think the P/J factor relates to the Big Five's consolidation (C) with high C being J and low C being P. Consolidation is supposed to increase as you get older. So, I guess it IS possible to move from the P-side to the J-side, but I think you should've been pretty close to the border of P and J in the first place. Someone as blatantly P as me, would never become J.

Viva_Hate

MBTI Type
INTP
I think the P/J factor relates to the Big Five's consolidation (C) with high C being J and low C being P. Consolidation is supposed to increase as you get older. So, I guess it IS possible to move from the P-side to the J-side, but I think you should've been pretty close to the border of P and J in the first place. Someone as blatantly P as me, would never become J.

It makes me really wish I knew what the percentages were, and that I could find that damn paperwork...
Not that any of this is of vital importance, but the curiousity will drive me nuts for at least a little while, till I find something else to keep my brain occupied. Thanks though!

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
It makes me really wish I knew what the percentages were, and that I could find that damn paperwork...
Not that any of this is of vital importance, but the curiousity will drive me nuts for at least a little while, till I find something else to keep my brain occupied. Thanks though!

There are some links to some pretty good online test in some threads here. Try to take a variety of tests and see what happens. That's what I would do.

Usehername

On a mission
That pretty much is what I meant, though I could have explained better... The general idea I have gotten from reading up on the subject was that Js tend to be more inflexible, firm in beliefs and yes, the idea of closure. Maybe I'm just thinking out loud, musing. By the way, I'm new to this too- I do appreciate your responding.

Have you heard of the cognitive functions yet? There's a sticky in the explicitly MBTI area of the boards.

INTx does not exist.

INTJ would have an internal world of intuition (the cognitive function of Introverted iNtuition would lead their reality, known as "Ni") and deal with their external world in a logical, rational way (extraverted thinking, known as "Te").
That would suggest a very fluid, non-linear, "possibilities oriented" person who shows their Thinking preference when dealing with reality. An INTJ's external world needs closure, efficiency, etc.

Conversely, INTP would have an internal world ruled by introverted thinking "Ti" and deal with their external reality using Extraverted iNtuition, "Ne." An INTP would have a systematic, organized, logical and rational inner world and would need things to fit in their box internally. Externally, the INTP is very fluid and don't necessarily need closure often.

redacted

Have you heard of the cognitive functions yet? There's a sticky in the explicitly MBTI area of the boards.

INTx does not exist.

INTJ would have an internal world of intuition (the cognitive function of Introverted iNtuition would lead their reality, known as "Ni") and deal with their external world in a logical, rational way (extraverted thinking, known as "Te").
That would suggest a very fluid, non-linear, "possibilities oriented" person who shows their Thinking preference when dealing with reality. An INTJ's external world needs closure, efficiency, etc.

Conversely, INTP would have an internal world ruled by introverted thinking "Ti" and deal with their external reality using Extraverted iNtuition, "Ne." An INTP would have a systematic, organized, logical and rational inner world and would need things to fit in their box internally. Externally, the INTP is very fluid and don't necessarily need closure often.

thank god.

yes, you need to learn about the functions. there's no such thing as an INTx. (unless you somehow use Ni/Te exactly as much as Ti/Ne, which i doubt could happen)

Terms With Nonobvious Meanings

check out the function definitions there.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Is it possible for test results to change?

I do believe your behaviour can change, but I feel MBTI is about preferences, which is deeper than behaviour. One may well be P, but due to jobdemands, this P can develope behaviour that is J. Does that make him J? No.
But I think you asked the right question: test results may vary. I have tested ISTJ INTP INTJ and ISTP, but those were mere testresults. I feel these results only orient you towards a possible type. It is not as if I have been all those four types on various moments, I am and have always been INTP, I only gave different answers to the tests, due to circumstances. The only conclusion is that I am a strong I and T, and have moderate P and N. That's all :)
Does that help?

Lindaxo

MBTI Type
ENTJ
This is a really good question! I was wondering the same thing. My result switches between ENTJ and ENTP quite often.

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm in the same predicament with INTx. I'm always thinking of possibilities and what could go wrong when an event is planned, always having various backup plans, and i'm usually concerned with doing everything quickly and efficiently. I alternate through periods of extreme organization and extreme disorganization although even when things are seemingly disorganized they are still in their "correct" place (i'll become angry if they're moved cause then i can't find them). I'm very open minded and really like to listen to other people's views and opinions (even if to me they're clearly delusional). I guess i like to see what factors influence their decisions. Also i don't much care for religion at all and it really bothers me to discuss such subjects as politics and religion with so many different variables to influence people's decisions. What type am i? I'm so confused...

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
sure, my results change all the time. If I were to average it out I'd say I'm 70% ENTP, 20% ENTJ and 10% INTP. But sometimes I can take several tests in one week that all peg me as ENTJ.

In the end I think it's down to your own understanding of the functions and self-confirming your type by that.

As to whether your type can REALLY change, as opposed to just 'according to a certain test', I think it's wise to keep an open mind. Sometimes a person can have some kind of intense/amazing/traumatic experience or epiphany that might either suddenly or gradually change the way they think and behave at a fundamental level. I'd say in that case it's possible that their type has changed.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
I tested as INTP occassionally. I think the P side is *affected* when required, although it goes against the grain. I learned years ago that most plans or stategies will fail if you don't review frequently (ie "keep it open") - a P trait. The idea of disorder or chaos or "still to do" is horrible but I've learned to live with it. In a masochistic way I have come to enjoy it, even. I reckon some tests are too simplistic or don't make allowances for highly affected behaviour. Maybe no test can.

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
thank god.

yes, you need to learn about the functions. there's no such thing as an INTx. (unless you somehow use Ni/Te exactly as much as Ti/Ne, which i doubt could happen)

Terms With Nonobvious Meanings

check out the function definitions there.

Sorry guys....

But I'm making a call here and I think everyone has become like "born again believers" in things like the MBTI.

Believe it or not there are not absolutely specific groups of people. Tests like MBTI and whatever mealy attempt to bring some structured groupings of people will SIMILAR traits.

As JUNG and all the rest said, we could have thousands of groups.

Hence, for people to say that there is no such thing as INTX is like saying there is no intersex people, or anything else that sits on a bell curve in the world of traits & attributes.

When someone on this board shows some serious Neurological evidence that shows that there are 16 different brain configurations (and only 16) then I'll say that MBTI is the oracle of all knowledge and no such thing as INTX exists.

Gheeze... yet again, an INTJ has to step forward and tell it how it is. :hi:

And if someone argues against this, then I'll step up and knock it down with more evidence... Like, if MBTI was so accurate they wouldn't have such an error factor, if they could determine the groups accurately then they would have been able to get the questions right.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I hate to agree with INTJ's, but alas: good point ;)

skip

MBTI Type
INTP
Your first year in college you're what, 18? IIRC, the MBTI isn't statistically reliable until you're in your mid-twenties.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Your first year in college you're what, 18? IIRC, the MBTI isn't statistically reliable until you're in your mid-twenties.

... and then the inevitable question is: what is not reliable, the test itself or the people taking the test, and why?