• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What makes you panic?!?

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
As an adult, I have been in several very dangerous situations- car wrecks, etc. and I have always felt something switch off in my head. I am unable to panic, I have no emotions, I just do what needs to be done. It is a very strange sensation. I have had the feeling of panic in my life but it has been in the context of losing a loved one or a non-life threatening scenario. I was pondering a memory and thought I would ask the people here what your experience with panic has been. All types are very welcome to comment.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I honestly can't think of anything that makes me panic.

rav3n

Nothing makes me panic, if panic means freezing up like a deer caught in headlights. But I have experienced fear induced adrenaline rushes that appear to slow time, where everything becomes crystal clear.

A

A window to the soul

I only panic at weddings and funerals though I hide it well. :newwink:

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Only one circumstance, can I recall absolute blind irrational panic. It was one where I had exhausted every possible avenue available to me. Seriously I always think of some thing, and for the most part have some pretty awesome luck, except this one time. Had a guardian angel look out for me that day.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Public speaking, social interactions in general (I have severe OCD, and these are the situations where my current symptoms arise). I don't really panic, otherwise.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
going to my fridge and realizing i'm out of Cholula.

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
Haha thats like me when I realize there's no time for coffee. :) I wonder if not panicking is always a good thing? Is panic sometimes an appropriate response? Going icy calm in scary situations has, on occasion, gotten strange responses from my companions.

rav3n

Haha thats like me when I realize there's no time for coffee. :) I wonder if not panicking is always a good thing? Is panic sometimes an appropriate response? Going icy calm in scary situations has, on occasion, gotten strange responses from my companions.
How so if it's a situation that requires a clear head? Don't you find that people gravitate towards icy calm when they're freaking out?

F

figsfiggyfigs

Running out of time.

Or worse.

If you know something is going to happen, and have no control over it. D:

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Wasps & Spiders!!! Ohhh and Bears, and other random wild animals lurking about while we are out camping!

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can be pretty highly strung so i get panicky when i have too much to do which generally comes about as a result of taking too much on and not having enough time to fulfil it. It's just that everything seems so important i find it hard to prioritise.
Also being late to pick up my kids is a trigger. I'm never actually late but i panick if i think there is a remote possibility that i will be.
In emergencies, i become calm, aware, and think uber quickly in the most organised fashion. I step outside the situation as if it is in slow motion. I think the slow motion thing has been mentioned already.

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
How so if it's a situation that requires a clear head? Don't you find that people gravitate towards icy calm when they're freaking out?

They do gravitate, I end up leading to safety, but afterwards I have been called a robot. Which is fine, whatever. It is almost as if they can't relate to the calm and it distances them from me in the long run. I have experienced the slow motion effect as well, it is a powerful feeling. I wouldn't change this aspect of myself but am curious if there is any situation where panic would help. I ask because I can't imagine such a thing and wonder if I am missing something.

Thanks to all for the input thus far.

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
Only one circumstance, can I recall absolute blind irrational panic. It was one where I had exhausted every possible avenue available to me. Seriously I always think of some thing, and for the most part have some pretty awesome luck, except this one time. Had a guardian angel look out for me that day.

I''m glad you made it through that. May I ask if it was a dangerous situation, a deadline, something emotional, or...

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zombie Apocalypse? I'm honestly not one to panic over anything too practical, as doing so is counterproductive to figuring out a solution in the event of something problematic.

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
Running out of time.

Or worse.

If you know something is going to happen, and have no control over it. D:

I can dig this although I generally feel I can't control much. Ha. Maybe I am too used to running out of time to panic over it. :) Points at P

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As an adult, I have been in several very dangerous situations- car wrecks, etc. and I have always felt something switch off in my head. I am unable to panic, I have no emotions, I just do what needs to be done. It is a very strange sensation. I have had the feeling of panic in my life but it has been in the context of losing a loved one or a non-life threatening scenario. I was pondering a memory and thought I would ask the people here what your experience with panic has been. All types are very welcome to comment.

Very few "real-life" danger things make me panic. I, too, have been in dangerous situations, and what happens is that my mind immediately clicks into crisis mode and I calmly respond to what is going on without even over-thinking, I just calmly deal and get through it... then usually right afterward, I feel my adrenaline kick in and my pulse starts to race. But during the problem, I'm steady as a rock.

(I had this one funny incident when driving after some snow a year ago -- I was calling a friend to say I'd be late, hit an off-ramp doing about 45mph, hit a pocket of snow cuz the ramp wasn't well-cleared, and the whole rear-end of my car started fishtailing BAD. What did I do? Calmly steered the car out of it -- dropped my foot off the gas, took a few hard swings in either direction of the wheel to steady it out with my LEFT hand, all while continuing to talk to my friend with my right hand... and after, I was like, "Well, THAT was interesting." I was kinda amazed at how I didn't even think about it, I just automatically did exactly what would work to fix things, and meanwhile kept talking on the phone like nothing was wrong!)

However, things that have left me panicked?

- Once (years ago) I made a mistake about what hours I could claim on my timecard, and I got a call telling me I had to repay my employer a substantial sum of money at the time. (Technically, they were the ones that screwed up by paying me, and I wish I had fought them on it.) Anyway, after I hung up the phone, my pulse raced like mad, I got dizzy and cold, started hyperventilating, and almost passed out. I had to put my head down on the desk in my office for a good ten minutes before the panic attack ended.

- When I leap in and let people see things about what I think and feel, then realize I really put myself out there and I might end up losing someone forever if they don't respond well to my being honest, I kinda freak out inside. You can't tell on the surface, really, but inside I'm having a panic attack and have to hold myself together. It's not like it hasn't happen before (most notably, with one of my parents), so the "danger" can be real.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
- When I leap in and let people see things about what I think and feel, then realize I really put myself out there and I might end up losing someone forever if they don't respond well to my being honest, I kinda freak out inside. You can't tell on the surface, really, but inside I'm having a panic attack and have to hold myself together. It's not like it hasn't happen before (most notably, with one of my parents), so the "danger" can be real.

^This, but not really with parents since I don't tell them that kind of stuff ;) I'm trying to make efforts to meet people and become more vulnerable, and open to rejection and hurt.

Once I was snorkeling a mile off shore alone. I looked over my shoulder and a shark was coming straight for me. Since it was against a field of blue, I couldn't tell how big it was. I tried to get out of the water, but there was no structure, only water. But it was small when it got up to me. After that, I went out to look for it, but then I swam back in the dark, and I was a bit scared.

Also, last September, I got medical bills for emergency surgery. The surgery itself was not too bad. It was the medical bills that really caused me to panic. However, this worked out and I reduced it, but I was freaking out the day I got the bill and the few months after that.

Threats to my job and security tend to cause panic.

However, in accidents and physical threats I tend to be fairly "calm."

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
The nemesis of every INTP(attached img).
Weirdly, my fears all revolve around people, I'm nearly completely indifferent to any kind of non-social danger.

Attachments

• 1298322599333.jpg
    1298322599333.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 20

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
The nemesis of every INTP(attached img).
Weirdly, my fears all revolve around people, I'm nearly completely indifferent to any kind of non-social danger.

:horor:

Tip: Don't watch "meet the Fockers"