• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What role do you usually play in group?

What role are you usually in a meeting , group activity?

• Total voters

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
I act as a leader, when no one else contributes to the group. Otherwise, I'll act as an adviser to whoever leads the group, asking questions occasionally.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I seem to be the outlaw an awful lot. Sort of. Or The questioner....I always seem to be on the wrong side of things anyway. People tend to look at me as though I'm a threat and a challenger...usurper to thier authority. Makes me sad, that does.
I think people take the silent one the wrong way at times.
I'm often the dark horse too. The one people underestimate.
I'm also, if every one sees eye to eye, the enthusiatic motivator, mediator, warm fuzzy feeling giver and general builder upper, and bond builder.

Well, I can be the outlaw and the usurper , and I am completely comfortable with being one.
Being an authority is easy, overthrowing one is hard.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I can be the outlaw and the usurper , and I am completely comfortable with being one.

Ain't that the truth!

Oh yeah, as far as my other OTHER other other role I forgot:
"The time has come for someone to put her foot down. And that Foot is me." :smile:

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My role changes depending on the group.

- If the group is unstable, I'm the Stabilizer.
- If the group is rather straight-laced, I play Comic Relief (goofy or dry humor).
- If the group is stuck in a rut, I'm the Brainstormer/Catalyst.
- If the group is way too positive and/or uncritical, I'm a Boat-Rocker.
- If the group is too accommodating and thus vulnerable, I'm the Protector against any wolves that wander in.

And if all of these roles are filled and otherwise I don't serve a good purpose, I just vanish.

I'm very similar. Maybe that's part of the reason i avoid groups, I risk losing my identity in the process.
On the other hand, in a one-on-one situation there is usually little pressure to fill a role.
Also, i don't like leading as much as i don't like being led. :huh:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm very similar. Maybe that's part of the reason i avoid groups, I risk losing my identity in the process.
On the other hand, in a one-on-one situation there is usually little pressure to fill a role.

In that sense, yes, it's so much easier to deal one on one with people... and I never feel like I have to "play a role." (One of the reasons my LTR broke down was because even in that one-on-one, I always felt like I was just playing a role and wasn't really accepted as a person.)

Also, i don't like leading as much as i don't like being led. :huh:

Totally. I don't mind having the option to follow someone, and I can be very supportive, but I don't like having my autonomy stripped.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I typically experience it as more of the balance (and I guess overall that would make me a Balancer? ha!)... but seriously, I guess I scan the group, see where the holes are, and try to fill them so that the group functions as fully as possible.

The "identity" nod, though, is worth exploring in more detail. Why do we even have these roles at all? What happens when we can't fulfill our roles? What level of gratification comes from fulfilling our roles, and disappointment from not being able to fulfill them? There's likely some sort of positive strokes that occur when we find a place where we feel we "fit" and function and contribute, and it reinforces/mirrors our own sense of self.

When I think I am primarily a balancer (which ends up making me a jack of all trades type), identity does play some sort of role in my experience of group and potentially in my having to distinguish myself in some unique way within the group. When I can't do this, I experience my role as unnecessary (the utilitarian/balancing aspect) but also feel like I have become faceless (the identity aspect), and I typically lose some level of interest in the group and might go elsewhere where I feel I have more of a niche to fill. I've found in a community setting that I really need to both (1) fulfill a need and (2) be recognized as a unique individual in order to remain invested in the group.

yeah, all that. Around the thinkers, I seem emotive; around emotives, vice versa. Around concretes, I'm intuitive; around intuives, I preach grounding. Around religious folks, I seem to be the unbeliever; around unbelievers, I'm the mystic. And so on.

(Although it can be kind of disconcerting to be labeled as one by the other and vice versa, and thus not really have any faction that can be called one's own.)

WE R AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charles

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm definitely not a fan of having someone who is incompetent leading, but I usually don't jump in to take his/her place. I wait for someone more suitable to take the wheel, and if this doesn't happen I just watch as the project burns into the ground. :headphne:

A lot of the contributions I make involve arguing against/questioning the ideas of others, which can make other members angry because it usually causes the process to come to a screeching halt (at least in their minds.)

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
My role changes depending on the group.

- If the group is unstable, I'm the Stabilizer.
- If the group is rather straight-laced, I play Comic Relief (goofy or dry humor).
- If the group is stuck in a rut, I'm the Brainstormer/Catalyst.
- If the group is way too positive and/or uncritical, I'm a Boat-Rocker.
- If the group is too accommodating and thus vulnerable, I'm the Protector against any wolves that wander in.

And if all of these roles are filled and otherwise I don't serve a good purpose, I just vanish.

I do this too. I guess I am - the Balancer

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP

Perhaps overthrowing is hard, but undermining can be easy...

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Serious answer time:

My role is completely dependent on how motivated I am. While I still have that beginning burst of enthusiasm, I'm typically the person to try and construct the layers of the group and generally create ideas with the intention of letting others be in charge of the actual implementation, as I find that particular part of the process extremely tedious and obnoxious. After that dies out, which it always does, I'm dead weight.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(Although it can be kind of disconcerting to be labeled as one by the other and vice versa, and thus not really have any faction that can be called one's own.)
I suppose if there is one common thread to my participation, it is that I'm usually the one pointing out the elephant in the room, or daring to say that the emperor has no clothes.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Well if I'm not really comfortable with the people I'm speaking to or I have nothing to say, I'm the "silent one." Or at least I'm close to it.

But I love cracking jokes and making people laugh. When I'm really comfortable, I'm more close to the "extraverted whore," because I tend to speak really loudly and/or sarcastically and I love to listen to everyone laughing at what I'm talking about.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm usually a more quiet member of a group who wants everyone to get along and feel included. Leader nor follower, but I want to have my own little niche. I make little statements of encouragement, or bring up goofy little stories that come to mind. I'll do my best to provide support to those who need it.

I struggle to deeply connect to people in the group and awkwardly float through the social space, but enjoy the company of the people. I also like to be one of the more knowledgeable ones in a group. Well, at least that is the case with certain/special topics. I give odd little facts on those topics, that no one will care about or use anyways. I am also kind of the hyena of the group, especially if we are all friends because I laugh a lot at the jokes people make.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I probably should've read the question before responding to the poll, curse mobile.

Typically, either the leader/task assigner or the workhorse. The information gatherer also works. I'm a control freak who tends to become irritable if whatever I'm working on isn't of the quality I desire, so I tend to be the organizer of most formal projects or meetings.

In more informal setting (ie. Friends?), I tend to be the silent one or "the ghost" who occasionally explains something or smile if people remember I'm there lel

pRfSChl.jpg

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm the person that usually argues with or critiques the Leader, to test their worthiness. If I view the leader competent, I am an extremely reliable person that stabilizes and helps the group function more efficiently. If the leader is bad, I try to take over their position. I cannot take orders from incompetent people.