• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What role do you usually play in group?

What role are you usually in a meeting , group activity?

• Total voters

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
It depends wildly on the scenario. In some cases I'm almost invisible, in others almost too forceful.

If it's a social group/gathering? "The Silent One." Pretty much without exception.

If it's a functional/theoretical discussion (work, school)? "The Leader", "The Challenger", or "Information Resource", depending on the situation. Usually I tend to take charge out of impatience, if nothing else.

If it's a group to do something physical (sports, group construction projects, etc.) "The Worker Bee"

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Like Jennifer, my role depends upon the group and the situation.

- I avoid social groups/meetings unless there is some specific purpose or draw for me
- In larger social settings where I don't know many people, I am silent, and find something to occupy me; if approached, I will often challenge or give deliberately unpredictable responses, to feel the other person out
- in small, familiar social groups, I wll provide what is needed: info, critique, brainstorming, leadership, silence, etc.
- at work, I tend to be the critic and occasionally the resistance (though usually I plot revolt in silence)
- I am willing to lead if necessary, but it is hard for me to depose even a poor existing leader. More often, there is no recognized leader, and people start treating me as such when they see the ideas, knowledge and skills I am contributing. In groups of primarily junior people, I am comfortable in a mentor role.
- In almost any setting, I will provide sarcasm, cutting remarks, dry/scathing humor, etc. as (in)appropriate.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not exactly the *leader* type, but the kind of guy who; carefully pays attention to what's being said, independently considers all possible useful information, and decides on the most suitable action plan, then performs it. I'd always remain attentive to the group, and whenever I felt my thoughts were being challenged (out of envy, which I'd had from others commonly), I'd shout them out to make as clear, and coherent as I can. It was all cool. I loved outdoor activity a lot where most group work was involved, and made the most of every possible ordeal I'd participated, especially during the school days.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not exactly the *leader* type, but the kind of guy who; carefully pays attention to what's being said, independently considers all possible useful information, and decides on the most suitable action plan, then performs it. I'd always remain attentive to the group, and whenever I felt my thoughts were being challenged (out of envy, which I'd had from others commonly), I'd shout them out to make as clear, and coherent as I can. It was all cool. I loved outdoor activity a lot, and made the most of every possible ordeal I'd participated, especially during the school days.

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Some edit: Extroverted Whore means the Attention Whore

For those who voted the leader, I am curious, what role will you play if you can't be the leader?
If the leader role is taken, what would you do, fight with the leader?

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
It depends wildly on the scenario. In some cases I'm almost invisible, in others almost too forceful.

If it's a social group/gathering? "The Silent One." Pretty much without exception.

If it's a functional/theoretical discussion (work, school)? "The Leader", "The Challenger", or "Information Resource", depending on the situation. Usually I tend to take charge out of impatience, if nothing else.

If it's a group to do something physical (sports, group construction projects, etc.) "The Worker Bee"

I think it really depends on your natural character and the personality. What role it fits on you naturally.

If you have a hard time speaking up and are naturally shy, you would have a hard time contesting the leadership position unless you manipulate yourself to there or you are the owner of a company.

Like most of the time , if I can't be the leader, I am usually the sloth. I used my silence as the greatest weapon of defiance. Whatever the leader says, I will most likely ignore the leader and do things in whatever way like. I am the one who gives the least a damn about authority. My actions will most make the leader angry, but then I use my silence as defiance and not give damn.
I won't really care if he yells and shouts at my face, he is the only one who is wasting his energy. Obedience is not part of my character.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
My role changes depending on the group.

- If the group is unstable, I'm the Stabilizer.
- If the group is rather straight-laced, I play Comic Relief (goofy or dry humor).
- If the group is stuck in a rut, I'm the Brainstormer/Catalyst.
- If the group is way too positive and/or uncritical, I'm a Boat-Rocker.
- If the group is too accommodating and thus vulnerable, I'm the Protector against any wolves that wander in.

And if all of these roles are filled and otherwise I don't serve a good purpose, I just vanish.

I'm very similar, and I think it's common for NTPs to play against the group. Maybe it's for balance, maybe it's to form an identity, but I tend to go against whatever the group is thinking. With liberals I'm conservative; with conservatives I'm liberal; with scientists I'm mystical; mystical with scientists; analytical with bores; show restraint when people are overthinking, etc, etc.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, when I come in, I usually sit there, silently, for the first 30 minutes, listen to people/give their ideas, nod, and write down what they say; basically, just allowing them to voice their opinions and ideas.

Then I take over.

Nothing I hate more than an extroverted whore and a sweet talker during group meetings. The only thing that can redeem them is their actual work output.
Leave the extroverted whore and the sweet talker alone.
Do your own work.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I change depending on the group. I'm either a challenger/arguer if I care, or a silent rule follower if I just want to be left the hell alone.

Then sometimes at birthday parties I try to get six mini-tops spinning at once, toss balloons in the air, pick up the cats and pet them, dart mysteriously in and out of the room, and smile and answer politely to anyone who tries to talk to me, confirming to just about everyone that I am a harmless village idiot.

Boy aren't they suprised if I turn into the challenger/arguer. However, it's more likely that I'll simply offer to help clear the table or... just disappear.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I seem to be the outlaw an awful lot. Sort of. Or The questioner....I always seem to be on the wrong side of things anyway. People tend to look at me as though I'm a threat and a challenger...usurper to thier authority. Makes me sad, that does.
I think people take the silent one the wrong way at times.
I'm often the dark horse too. The one people underestimate.
I'm also, if every one sees eye to eye, the enthusiatic motivator, mediator, warm fuzzy feeling giver and general builder upper, and bond builder.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I'm the extroverted whore, but I feel like the term 'attention whore' is just used by people who don't really know me. I hate silence, I hate not feeling part of the group, I hate not being able to externalise my thoughts, I hate feeling inept because I have nothing to contribute. I'm sure a lot of people think I'm an attention whore. I think I'm pretty much the most talkative person in every social group I'm in. Is it because I like attention though? Do I actually like all eyes being on me? No I don't, or at least, I don't crave it. What people don't understand is that when you talk as much as I do, I just become part of the general buzz. When you're quiet and decide to finally say something, everyone stops and looks at you. That doesn't happen with me, surely if I was really an attention whore I would go with that sort of tactic instead. Haters be hating.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i am not surprised to see many NT leaders and critics :yes:

personally if i had a stereotype, it would be Second-In-Charge.

i do not have a desire to be the sole leader, but i enjoy and am very useful in an elevated position (vice president, officer, whatever). i'm dedicated and attentive, but prefer to act in a more supportive, reflective, guiding role, rather than a directing one. i like to keep an eye on the group as a whole, the overall atmosphere of the room and the tone of the discussion, and speak up in a way that manipulates the atmosphere/tone if the group would benefit from it. i have a hard time predicting group dynamics, but i'm good at keeping an eye on 1-to-1 relationships, and seeing if there's any tension between people, in particular the leader and each person. i also usually play the role of helping voices get heard that otherwise might not.

generally the nature of my own participation depends on how much competency in the subject area i have... if i'm very competent, then i will offer many suggestions and try to provide guidance. i will be quieter if not. i am generally congenial, but if i disagree strongly with something on ethical grounds, then i will not hesitate to challenge it.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Almost all of the above, to be honest. But I prefer to be the leader, if I am competent enough.
Naturally, because of my age, I am not always the most competent for such things while working or studying. There I can take on another approach in order to learn.
Sometimes other than that, too. Then I go into any of the other modes.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
7 group leaders. Seriously? ENTPs INTPs INTJs aren't exactly group leaders. ENTPs and INTPs don't care, and the INTJ is too busy telling the group leader what a big fucking idiot he is :laugh:

This is most of the time. ENTPs for instance can be group leaders, but only when there's fun involved. Otherwise...naah..

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
My role changes depending on the group.

^This.

Also, it depends on the subject matter. If we're talking about something related to academics, and a grade....
-If there is no apparent leader, I can and will assume the position of leader even though I don't like to.
-If the leader appears incompetent, I will feed ideas and courses of action to the leader... Usually convincing them that they came up with the idea themselves. I prefer this "Silent Leader" role.
-I can very much assume the role of 'Control Freak', taking on the majority of the work and responsibility myself if I don't trust my partners to do an adequate job.

If the group is unrelated to academics/grades, I don't assume any sort of leadership/control freak position at all. I'll sit back and follow orders.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I voted mediator, but it isn't that simple. The way I am a mediator is my mostly non-verbal participation. I find that in any group, my presence seems to help people get along, even if I don't attempt that. I guess it is mostly because I don't try to impress anyone by having something cool to say. So, when I don't play the game, other people feel more at ease to not play so hard either.

My other role is some philosopher type of a thing. This is only when the group is interested in these things. This is maybe the most active role I have. And then there's the drunken lunatic role, which is seemingly supercharged Ne bouncing around. I'm not even sure if this is a healthy role, but I sometimes need it to release steam.

EDIT: Oh, this was NT stuff. Sorry about messing up the poll....

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The silent, yet watchful saboteur.

*watching you*

I'm very similar, and I think it's common for NTPs to play against the group. Maybe it's for balance, maybe it's to form an identity, but I tend to go against whatever the group is thinking. With liberals I'm conservative; with conservatives I'm liberal; with scientists I'm mystical; mystical with scientists; analytical with bores; show restraint when people are overthinking, etc, etc.

I typically experience it as more of the balance (and I guess overall that would make me a Balancer? ha!)... but seriously, I guess I scan the group, see where the holes are, and try to fill them so that the group functions as fully as possible.

The "identity" nod, though, is worth exploring in more detail. Why do we even have these roles at all? What happens when we can't fulfill our roles? What level of gratification comes from fulfilling our roles, and disappointment from not being able to fulfill them? There's likely some sort of positive strokes that occur when we find a place where we feel we "fit" and function and contribute, and it reinforces/mirrors our own sense of self.

When I think I am primarily a balancer (which ends up making me a jack of all trades type), identity does play some sort of role in my experience of group and potentially in my having to distinguish myself in some unique way within the group. When I can't do this, I experience my role as unnecessary (the utilitarian/balancing aspect) but also feel like I have become faceless (the identity aspect), and I typically lose some level of interest in the group and might go elsewhere where I feel I have more of a niche to fill. I've found in a community setting that I really need to both (1) fulfill a need and (2) be recognized as a unique individual in order to remain invested in the group.

With liberals I'm conservative; with conservatives I'm liberal; with scientists I'm mystical; mystical with scientists; analytical with bores; show restraint when people are overthinking, etc, etc.

yeah, all that. Around the thinkers, I seem emotive; around emotives, vice versa. Around concretes, I'm intuitive; around intuives, I preach grounding. Around religious folks, I seem to be the unbeliever; around unbelievers, I'm the mystic. And so on.

(Although it can be kind of disconcerting to be labeled as one by the other and vice versa, and thus not really have any faction that can be called one's own.)