• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs: Optimist? Defeatist? Cynic?

annnie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Hi all

I'm curious to get some perspective from other ENTPs on your general approach to life. (I mean as a whole, not specific small 'setbacks'/opportunities to come up with a genius solution! :headphne: )

One of the things I couldn't really identify with in the ENTP description (though I don't really doubt my type) is the general upbeat-ness, assuming things will be OK, going our own way regardless of the rules. Perhaps I've been like this in the past but lately (last few years) I feel mostly beaten-down, that the "rules" have got the better of me. I don't agree with the "rules" of financial institutions, employers etc etc - at least not just because they are "rules" and have to be followed - but lately I am overwhelmed easily by stuff like "what will the implications be of this" or "but this contract says..." etc.

I don't enjoy rule following or think it is (necessarily) 'logical' and so on, I hate that I am so constrained by rules and being risk-averse, as I'm not naturally, so I feel like I'm fighting my real tendencies all the time. I just give up on things before even starting them - I "assume" I'll see how the situation will pan out and it won't be in my favour.

Does anyone else go through a similar thing? Why would this be and (maybe more importantly) anyone knows how I can get back to the happy go lucky self and move on in life. If it's even possible!

Maybe it is just 'maturity'? (I'm coming up to 30 but don't really see it as a milestone, particularly.)

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Internally, I am in a constant rebellion against "the man." :laugh: I try to push my limits as much as possible. Like with by bosses, I see how far I can go in being as chummy and nonchalant with them as I think I can get away with. The way I see it is, they're people, too, just like me, just like him or her or them. There's no reason they should be treated more special than anyone else just because this "hierarchy" says they're above me. Just doesn't make sense. Yes, I admire them for their resourcefulness and having the balls to start their own business, but that doesn't change their DNA. Doesn't make them better than me or the next guy.

Anyway, my boss is hard-nose ESTJ and I think it kind of drives her crazy that I think this way and treat her this way, but I also think she respects me for it. If I see something she's doing that I think it's too one-track minded in it's logic (ie. doesn't take into account multiple factors) or something I think could be done better, I will tell her - and as candidly as possible. I try (key word: try) to act as an independent, floating entity outside the hierarchy of my workplace. At least, I'm that way to the extent that I don't get fired for insubordination or something. Sometimes that means recognizing when I can't win and putting my ego aside and backing off.

It's hard and it takes a lot of energy. I've got to always be sensitive to when I might be going too far. But I know that if I don't at least try to have that little bit of freedom, I'd get really depressed very easily. And I have in the past. Sometimes I can get really caught up in how arbitrary everything seems. Just want to give up on the struggle against it.

And it's depressing to only be able to be creative in a limited setting. Practicality is my sworn nemesis. But it's there. And it's disheartening. Can suck the fun and life out of you. Can make you feel trapped, unstimulated, bored, frustrated, like acting out even more.

I don't know how you feel, though. :\ I feel that way.

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP
So, when I was very little (age 8 to age 16) I was pessimistic and defeatist. Around 16 I decided that being that way wasn't helping me enjoy life, which is my primary goal, and whether or not the world sucks I ought to focus on the good bits. I think all of my friends could class me as an optimist now. I do enjoy life much more now (I'm 19), and I hope I'll be able to maintain this enjoyment as I grow older. Uni is making it harder: I made the mistake of picking a notoriously hard school, but I'm trying not to become bitter. It takes some effort. I don't know. Maybe paying more attention to the aspects of your life that you enjoy will help? I tend to pause sometimes and go find something like a flower and revive a sense of wonder at something being so cool and pretty and growing out of the dirt. Taking time to appreciate those bits I find handy, as I can get stuck in a rut if I don't. Then again, I'm not terribly rebellious (and when I am rebellious, I rebel in weird ways. I once read my parents' parenting books and critiqued them based on it. My mom got such a kick out of it. I'm very lucky that she's got a good sense of humor :wub:).

A

A window to the soul

I'm an optimist. I'm energized by challenges, which includes in relationships. If there's a problem, I'll try to find a solution. I rarely find a reason to think negatively about something; unless, I'm being stifled (and that's the most notable thing that comes to mind at the moment). I'm not crazy about rules (that impede progress/goals), so I may test the limits or push back. For the most part, I try to respect the rules that allow me to achieve greater goals; often for the overall well-being of the group.

I'm most satisfied in relationships and roles where I'm free to be (and make a difference). I'm known to eventually leave stifling situations or relationships behind, but not after considerable effort in trying to find a workable solution. As far as feeling defeated or cynical for a time, the most notable thing that comes to mind is in the latter scenario.

Maybe paying more attention to the aspects of your life that you enjoy will help? I tend to pause sometimes and go find something like a flower and revive a sense of wonder at something being so cool and pretty and growing out of the dirt.

^ Yes!! I love that idea! Good call. -Stops to smell the flowers- :redface:

And it's depressing to only be able to be creative in a limited setting. Practicality is my sworn nemesis. But it's there. And it's disheartening. Can suck the fun and life out of you. Can make you feel trapped, unstimulated, bored, frustrated, like acting out even more.

^ lolz yes!! Equally frustrating for me is to be the only optimist in a group, argh.

Last edited:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm pretty emo and very cynical.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ENTPs: Optimist?

Yes.

One of the things I couldn't really identify with in the ENTP description (though I don't really doubt my type) is the general upbeat-ness, assuming things will be OK, going our own way regardless of the rules. Perhaps I've been like this in the past but lately (last few years) I feel mostly beaten-down, that the "rules" have got the better of me. I don't agree with the "rules" of financial institutions, employers etc etc - at least not just because they are "rules" and have to be followed - but lately I am overwhelmed easily by stuff like "what will the implications be of this" or "but this contract says..." etc.

Common sense has to come into it somewhere, faith in things working out and one's inherent ability to fix anything is not in contradiction to considering what bending the rules could imply, it's actually an important part of the process. I don't break rules for the sake of breaking them, I do so because I intuit the outcome and am prepared (or even eager) to accept that, or I know I can manipulate them to my favour. These things have little to nothing to do with my eternal optimism.

Does anyone else go through a similar thing? Why would this be and (maybe more importantly) anyone knows how I can get back to the happy go lucky self and move on in life. If it's even possible!

Change environment, can't do that then work on changing your attitude towards it.

Qre:us

Hi all

I'm curious to get some perspective from other ENTPs on your general approach to life. (I mean as a whole, not specific small 'setbacks'/opportunities to come up with a genius solution! :headphne: )

I don't enjoy rule following or think it is (necessarily) 'logical' and so on, I hate that I am so constrained by rules and being risk-averse, as I'm not naturally, so I feel like I'm fighting my real tendencies all the time. I just give up on things before even starting them - I "assume" I'll see how the situation will pan out and it won't be in my favour.

Maybe it is just 'maturity'? (I'm coming up to 30 but don't really see it as a milestone, particularly.)

You're just in a funk. ShIt happens.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Generally I'm very optimistic. And either I haven't matured yet or it hasn't got to do anything with maturity, because I am thirty now. For me the 30th birthday was an excuse to call all friends together and eat a lot of cake like we used to to when I was ten.
There have been disappointments and failures in my life. Quite some, even. But I tend to get over them quite quickly. I want to get over them quickly, because I don't want to bore other people with my stupid problems. Especially not emotional ones. I'm ready to show good emotions, but I don't want to show bad ones. I want to get to the "what now?" stage as soon as possible, making plans and dreaming of a future in which everything will go better.

Eg.
The discovery that I wasn't really cut out for academic research came, in fact, as a relief. It meant I didn't have to do that any more, even if I was "smart" enough. Some people think it's a waste of my mind to get a PhD in physics and then "have" to teach at a technical high school - but it isn't. Those people don't know how great technical high school students are!

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I'm a bit bi-polar on the subject. I do sometimes feel defeated by the system and it's ridiculous rules. But other times I tend to make my own rules and get by them pretty well (at least for a while).

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm cynical and pessimistic, but also optimistic. I generally do enjoy life. At least, I try to. After all, what is the point of wasting your time being miserable? A little dose of pessimism is good, in my opinion.

I wouldn't worry too much about your negative feelings, but I would try to make the best of the situation.

By the way, allegorystory, I completely relate to what you said about being nochalant and chummy. That is how I was with my ESTJ teacher. I got away with everything with her, insulted her (jokingly) daily, and disrupted her class. It was greatly amusing.

Really, I think the biggest thing is avoiding stagnancy. To me, that is absolutely terrible.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I know it's a stretch for an INTP to advise a bunch of ENTP's on the use of Ne, but I sometimes conquer (or side-step?) this stuff by using even MORE Ne. I'll come off as the guy who is always cheery, always optimistic, always has a funny joke to tell, almost apathetic to all the rules, structure, stifling-ness, and "the man". Like I'll just put on this face like I'm just "gliding right through it all" and having a ton of fun along the way. I mean, in the workplace, I still have to get my work done (if I want a job) - I can't be a complete moron who doesn't conform to anything, but I find that I have an ability to be so optimistic, that I just don't let it all bother me much. I still tell my jokes, I still act like a goofball, I still make people laugh - I sort of make it known that I am outside the box. If they choose to stay in it, that's up to them, but I'm going to live life outside of it and refuse to be stifled by it.

I totally relate to the OP - I know it can happen sometimes (feeling stifled) - I'm just saying, maybe fight it with even more Ne. Just be the smart, whacky, witty, funny, absent-minded professor guy and people will learn to give you that space - they will learn that you aren't a conformist and there are certain things that they'll have to deal with when they do business with you. Professional and effective, yet a free-thinker and outside the box.

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
People who are optimistic, in the productive sense of the word, are more likely to do shit and thus more likely to get what they want.

People who are pessimistic don't think that they can do things, and are thus less likely to get things that they like.

Is it even a choice? I thought so but then got over it, and for the most part, although hazed, I'm optimistic. I've had my uber-optimistic moments, but it's mostly to counter the people who are pessimistic about my prospects.

That motivates me for all of about a day. Then I start sitting around again.
Meh

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
People who are optimistic, in the productive sense of the word, are more likely to do shit and thus more likely to get what they want.

I'm more of an apathetic kinda optimist, I think everything is just dandy and full of sun-shiny goodness so I'll just sit here and do nothing thankqueverymuch :biggrin: