• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTJ] ENTJs, c'mere you bastards

MoneyTick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
How do you know when you love someone?

When everything I do or think contravenes my love-sober philosophy on life. In other words, I catch SFP syndrome.

Do you treat them any differently than you treat everyone else?

Well, of course!

How do you feel (yes, feel) around them?

I'm in whirlpool of mixed emotions and question marks. The first question is ask is - How far can this go? I don't want to go on an emotional roller-coaster ride for six months to find out, I want to know first hand. With the majority of SFs, this is nearly impossible. My goal is to settle in a long term relationship that would ultimately lead to marriage. Anything beyond that does not warrant my full devotion and attention, I categorize everything else under "playing the field" or "friendship." I play games for a few weeks, then I find out where the person belongs in my life. If there is genuine interest, I pursue it. If it was a hyped-up idle affair, then I withdraw any feelings and consider the person a friend permanently.

How hard was it for you to get over them?

Cake.

The first 48 hours I have this sour feeling or aftershock, I remind myself that it's a natural human response (like a cut or scrape) and I will get over it soon. Two days later, the sour feeling is gone, I pat myself on the back and the bitch is a shadow in my mind. Thereafter, get back to work, take an exotic vacation, hang out with my buddies, enjoy life, and wait for the next opportunity.

Love is simple. Just have a plan to direct your emotions, enforce the plan regardless of how you "feel," and know when to detour when you find out you're on the road to nowhere.

Lark

Just kidding, I love you. Quite a bit.. And speaking of love, I have a question..(s),

How do you know when you love someone? Do you treat them any differently than you treat everyone else? How do you feel (yes, feel) around them?

I reckon I've only been in love once or twice, as opposed to that whole high-low rush of emotion falling in love or infatuation phase, I dont believe I've ever "got over" either of those women, one of them is married now and I have only occasional contact with her but we're friends (we connected on an intellectual and spiritual level, similar interests, although she was a religious evangelist who'd grown up believing that I was doomed to hell by my beliefs), the other I try to contact and hear from only rarely, I suspect when she's in need and cant get a solution elsewhere.

They do get treated differently, they get made priority and they are paramount, I'm unsure if its entirely an emotional thing, I tend to intellectualise and think my way most of the time but perhaps my responses are different.

If I were in love with someone I'd be more willing to act in manners contrary or out of character for my type if that was what they needed, not all the time because that is self-destructive but more of the time than otherwise.

Although I would say that attachment style, pair bonding, culture, other things like that have as much of an influence, even more, than my cognitive traits or MBTI typology.

F

figsfiggyfigs

When everything I do or think contravenes my love-sober philosophy on life. In other words, I catch SFP syndrome.

Well, of course!

I'm in whirlpool of mixed emotions and question marks. The first question is ask is - How far can this go? I don't want to go on an emotional roller-coaster ride for six months to find out, I want to know first hand. With the majority of SFs, this is nearly impossible. My goal is to settle in a long term relationship that would ultimately lead to marriage. Anything beyond that does not warrant my full devotion and attention, I categorize everything else under "playing the field" or "friendship." I play games for a few weeks, then I find out where the person belongs in my life. If there is genuine interest, I pursue it. If it was a hyped-up idle affair, then I withdraw any feelings and consider the person a friend permanently.

Cake.

The first 48 hours I have this sour feeling or aftershock, I remind myself that it's a natural human response (like a cut or scrape) and I will get over it soon. Two days later, the sour feeling is gone, I pat myself on the back and the bitch is a shadow in my mind. Thereafter, get back to work, take an exotic vacation, hang out with my buddies, enjoy life, and wait for the next opportunity.

Love is simple. Just have a plan to direct your emotions, enforce the plan regardless of how you "feel," and know when to detour when you find out you're on the road to nowhere.
All of This.

Stu Katz

MBTI Type
'sup
Enneagram
dawg
ENTJs. Where do all you people hide?

Do you like movie dates or coffee dates? :wubbie:

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
^^ I don't like coffee, haha, but I do enjoy dates where talking is involved, getting to know the person, etc. A movie doesn't really accomplish this.

As for what MoneyTick said, I agree about the whole "where is this going" spiel. When I'm in a relationship, I will play the game for about a month tops. If I don't feel that it's going to be long term, I cut my losses and move on. It can be really frustrating if the other partner is unsure what they want -- clearly I'm aware that a month isn't enough time to know if you want to get hitched and so forth, but it is more then enough time to know if long term is a possibility. I really dislike not knowing how far something is going to go and will become quite the bitchy nag. I've gotten a lot better about this however, as well as with my expectations of men in relationships. As a teenager, I always felt that the other person in the relationship should put forth as much effort as I was (the time devoted to them was 100% while with them, much like how I approach school or work) but as I've grown I have realized that my expectations of another person can be somewhat unrealistic, so I've mellowed considerably with this.

I find it really difficult though as an ENTJ female to find males suitable to date. When I find one who does challenge me, it instantly attracts me (generally these have only been INTJ and ENTPs who could do this), and I treat them differently from the start. It's an instant attraction and one that I know will either blossom or won't. If it won't, they get cast to friend zone.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Here I differ. I don't want marriage or anything too permanent. I totally adore my bf, but I don't want to be saddled with expectations. Live and love the moment. Career and my goals are #1 anyway.

I guess that's a part of the issue with my ENTJ ex - he was way overplanning things and literally getting ready for marriage within a few months! That just wasn't on my agenda, I'm afraid. :thelook:

The INFJ is way more free-spirited and non-pressure.

Also, I should probably mention that I'm 21. So it's not normal for people my age to get supersuper serious anyway.

F

figsfiggyfigs

^^ I don't like coffee, haha, but I do enjoy dates where talking is involved, getting to know the person, etc. A movie doesn't really accomplish this.

As for what MoneyTick said, I agree about the whole "where is this going" spiel. When I'm in a relationship, I will play the game for about a month tops. If I don't feel that it's going to be long term, I cut my losses and move on. It can be really frustrating if the other partner is unsure what they want -- clearly I'm aware that a month isn't enough time to know if you want to get hitched and so forth, but it is more then enough time to know if long term is a possibility. I really dislike not knowing how far something is going to go and will become quite the bitchy nag. I've gotten a lot better about this however, as well as with my expectations of men in relationships. As a teenager, I always felt that the other person in the relationship should put forth as much effort as I was (the time devoted to them was 100% while with them, much like how I approach school or work) but as I've grown I have realized that my expectations of another person can be somewhat unrealistic, so I've mellowed considerably with this.

I find it really difficult though as an ENTJ female to find males suitable to date. When I find one who does challenge me, it instantly attracts me (generally these have only been INTJ and ENTPs who could do this), and I treat them differently from the start. It's an instant attraction and one that I know will either blossom or won't. If it won't, they get cast to friend zone.

See, I dont even do the whole game thing. I skip right past that. I'm extremely future oriented, hate games, and like plans. I would've decided "where is this going" before even dating. Sounds weird. But I need to know if the person thinks/shares the same plans as I before deciding/bothering to invest myself/time in them. This is also a reason why I don't "date" often. I have high expectations. I need to build some sort of friendship first, get to know the person as a friend, no sexual expectations; a healthy, unromantic foundation. I will not put in any effort past the amount a friend is supposed to be putting in, unless they're worth it, and I know they're going to do the exact same. Does this person want the same things I do? Are they willing to work as hard as me? What am I investing in? I have plans/goals, how will they fit into that? Am I willing to risk things for this individual?

I've been told that I'm idealistic, my expectations are high. For that, I don't care much.

I'd probably prefer to go for icecream...

Coffee breath is not attractive, and movies are more of a " I already know you, so we can get some quite time without it being awkward" appropriate.

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Unfortunately when I was dating, I felt as though it was necessary for me to play the game. Otherwise, there was no one even left to hang out with that I found romantic. The game never worked out with any of them and I tired quickly of it. Luckily for me, I have a guy who hates playing that whole nonsense game more than me. Unluckily for me, he is uh...how do I put this nicely...a bumblefucker is what I call it. Just sorts of floats about until he decides what he wants, and it's always very sudden. I'm already invested enough to where bailing is not an option...so now I wait.

I loathe waiting.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Unfortunately when I was dating, I felt as though it was necessary for me to play the game. Otherwise, there was no one even left to hang out with that I found romantic. The game never worked out with any of them and I tired quickly of it. Luckily for me, I have a guy who hates playing that whole nonsense game more than me. Unluckily for me, he is uh...how do I put this nicely...a bumblefucker is what I call it. Just sorts of floats about until he decides what he wants, and it's always very sudden. I'm already invested enough to where bailing is not an option...so now I wait.

I loathe waiting.

rofl @ bumblefucker.

My romantic interest, although rare, usually begins/grows AFTER I have become friends with them for a long period of time. I find them more attractive, and more of a "commodity".

I never invest in someone I don't know well, no matter how attractive he is.

T

ThatGirl

I like coffee dates, especially if the man is shy. Nothing better than getting somone all hyper and allowing them to talk for a while. While the date should start over coffee, it shouldn't end there. Have something waiting on the back burner for whether we hit it off or not.

The best way to impress an ENTJ (or woman for that matter) is to take them out of their familiar routine, and show competency. Like, if the ENTJ never goes to dance, take them to dance, take the lead, and make them look good doing it.

Then take them to desert to talk about how fun the night was.

IMO at least.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I like coffee dates, especially if the man is shy. Nothing better than getting somone all hyper and allowing them to talk for a while. While the date should start over coffee, it shouldn't end there. Have something waiting on the back burner for whether we hit it off or not.

The best way to impress an ENTJ (or woman for that matter) is to take them out of their familiar routine, and show competency. Like, if the ENTJ never goes to dance, take them to dance, take the lead, and make them look good doing it.

Then take them to desert to talk about how fun the night was.

IMO at least.
Thats actually a good suggestion TG ;)

MoneyTick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
See, I dont even do the whole game thing. I skip right past that. I'm extremely future oriented, hate games, and like plans. I would've decided "where is this going" before even dating. Sounds weird. But I need to know if the person thinks/shares the same plans as I before deciding/bothering to invest myself/time in them. This is also a reason why I don't "date" often. I have high expectations. I need to build some sort of friendship first, get to know the person as a friend, no sexual expectations; a healthy, unromantic foundation. I will not put in any effort past the amount a friend is supposed to be putting in, unless they're worth it, and I know they're going to do the exact same. Does this person want the same things I do? Are they willing to work as hard as me? What am I investing in? I have plans/goals, how will they fit into that? Am I willing to risk things for this individual?

I've been told that I'm idealistic, my expectations are high. For that, I don't care much.

I'd probably prefer to go for icecream...

Coffee breath is not attractive, and movies are more of a " I already know you, so we can get some quite time without it being awkward" appropriate.

I concur.

Complete lack of interest in pursuing a committed relationship contravenes the basic functions of human psychology. When behavior is directed against any natural mode of psychological functioning, an array of problems transpire.

I've known tons of people who played the field and got more ass than a toilet seat, only to end up chronically depressed. My college buddy thrived on women. His charm would suck in any skeptically conservative girl without resistance. After so many short term affairs, he became suicidal and who knows where his depression led him now. Hmmm. This harmonizes with the latest federal report on sexuality ever conducted by the government which states that sexually active high schoolers are 50 percent more prone to drop out of school and 60 percent more liable to be expelled. They are also half as likely to graduate from college. Even among teens from identical socio-economic backgrounds, sexual activity dramatically hurts academic performance. Sexually active college students, living out the dramas of making and breaking sexual relationships, have lower grade-point averages than their chaste peers, they seek counseling more often and are more apt to consider their relationships stressful.

In other words, our minds subconsciously pursue emotional equilibrium by virtue of seeking out meaningful and long-term relationships. Hence, your friend doesn't have an expiration date - a friend is assumed to remain a friend long-term. Your boyfriend/girlfriend doesn't have an expiration date - they are assumed to be part of your life, long-term, until something unforeseen terminates the relationship. A marriage does not have a separation ceremony nor are divorce terms asserted on the day of the wedding - it is assumed that a marriage will last long-term, unless it is terminated sooner by something unforeseen.

These "assumptions" are subconscious psychological thought processes that gravitate towards committed relationships.

When such assumptions are absent, you sabotage a key psychological thought process (emotions activate certain chemicals in your brain that influence thought patterns thereafter returning signal by activating certain neurotransmitters which leads to a semi-permanent thought cycle deadlock). This leads to a chronic cycle of depression, emptiness, and complete lack of motivation.

The foregoing is the reasoning behind my goal to pursue committed relationships and limit playing the field.

rav3n

How do you know when you love someone?
As usual, the question of "what is love?" crosses my mind and for the life of me, I have no idea anymore. But in the past, I just knew.

Do you treat them any differently than you treat everyone else?
Absolutely. Time, effort, patience, a willingness to compromise to come to solutions and resolutions.

How do you feel (yes, feel) around them?
TMI time! :laugh:
Highly sexual, comfortable, moments of soaring happiness, intensity, connection, respect, trust. You aren't me but we're together and happy.

That varied.

As far as working closely with a partner, this wouldn't end well. Business and personal don't mix unless it's at an arms-length.

Dates? I can go for coffee with my friends and business contacts. Movies are okay but they're more for when you're in relationship. Dinner dates are the best since they're intimate where you're sharing good company, food and wine. But if he insists on a chain restaurant, we're so done! :tongue10:

I used to know what I wanted in a relationship but now, autonomy is more appealing to me. Relationships can be so much work.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I concur.

Complete lack of interest in pursuing a committed relationship contravenes the basic functions of human psychology. When behavior is directed against any natural mode of psychological functioning, an array of problems transpire.

I've known tons of people who played the field and got more ass than a toilet seat, only to end up chronically depressed. My college buddy thrived on women. His charm would suck in any skeptically conservative girl without resistance. After so many short term affairs, he became suicidal and who knows where his depression led him now. Hmmm. This harmonizes with the latest federal report on sexuality ever conducted by the government which states that sexually active high schoolers are 50 percent more prone to drop out of school and 60 percent more liable to be expelled. They are also half as likely to graduate from college. Even among teens from identical socio-economic backgrounds, sexual activity dramatically hurts academic performance. Sexually active college students, living out the dramas of making and breaking sexual relationships, have lower grade-point averages than their chaste peers, they seek counseling more often and are more apt to consider their relationships stressful.

In other words, our minds subconsciously pursue emotional equilibrium by virtue of seeking out meaningful and long-term relationships. Hence, your friend doesn't have an expiration date - a friend is assumed to remain a friend long-term. Your boyfriend/girlfriend doesn't have an expiration date - they are assumed to be part of your life, long-term, until something unforeseen terminates the relationship. A marriage does not have a separation ceremony nor are divorce terms asserted on the day of the wedding - it is assumed that a marriage will last long-term, unless it is terminated sooner by something unforeseen.

These "assumptions" are subconscious psychological thought processes that gravitate towards committed relationships.

When such assumptions are absent, you sabotage a key psychological thought process (emotions activate certain chemicals in your brain that influence thought patterns thereafter returning signal by activating certain neurotransmitters which leads to a semi-permanent thought cycle deadlock). This leads to a chronic cycle of depression, emptiness, and complete lack of motivation.

The foregoing is the reasoning behind my goal to pursue committed relationships and limit playing the field.

This is all true, despite society telling us otherwise and encouraging otherwise. People choose not to believe it, but your post is spot on. All this depression and feeling down in the dumps has a lot to do with people feeling and being "broken" by being in and out of relationships. +5,486,934.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I concur.

That was extremely well said.