• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Procrastination Help!

Scorquendo

MBTI Type
INTP
...will come back to elaborate on my post/problem later. (I have class now)

EDIT:

Anyway, I have the biggest problem trying to get ANY kind of studying done. In fact, I had an idea of actually doing my elective work first (oddly like a J) in order to make time to study for my core classes, since I already know I like to study the day of to right until the start of the actual exam and it hasn't worked. For the most part, I've pulled off, IMO, a satisfying B average. And now with less than a week to study, I still do not want to do anything pertaining to my core classes...yet. This doesn't stop here, but even meshes over to other events in my life. For example, I had to renew my license in December, but I didn't do it until yesterday (only because I had the desire to buy alcohol). I'm starting to realize this a major problem for me. I've tried making lists, but I never really followed them. I've tried breaking it up in sections, but I end up losing track of what sections I previously stopped at. Don't get me wrong, I like organization, but only with personal projects.

This might seem like the blind the leading the blind, but what are tips from other NTPs who experience this same problem?

PS. In fact, I shouldn't even be on here, lol.

Kuthtuk

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w3
Anything said here will help me too T_T!

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
I'm not considered an NT but try to ask the closest and meanest friend you have, to test you every time you meet up and as punishment if you slip up: He'll be as frustrating as possible and make you pain yourself. I know what you are thinking, and I'm afraid you'll avoid the meat-bag if you try this idea. Or it'll just say "not my problem".

Here's a thought that isn't as much of a fantasy as the one above: Engage yourself into other things than what you like, with or without other people. Things that aren't forced upon you. That should take care of the procrastination or make more of it. I guess that's the "self-discipline" bit.

PS. I'm gtzk and I'm a procrastinoholic.

MoneyTick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
...will come back to elaborate on my post/problem later. (I have class now)

EDIT:

Anyway, I have the biggest problem trying to get ANY kind of studying done. In fact, I had an idea of actually doing my elective work first (oddly like a J) in order to make time to study for my core classes, since I already know I like to study the day of to right until the start of the actual exam and it hasn't worked. For the most part, I've pulled off, IMO, a satisfying B average. And now with less than a week to study, I still do not want to do anything pertaining to my core classes...yet. This doesn't stop here, but even meshes over to other events in my life. For example, I had to renew my license in December, but I didn't do it until yesterday (only because I had the desire to buy alcohol). I'm starting to realize this a major problem for me. I've tried making lists, but I never really followed them. I've tried breaking it up in sections, but I end up losing track of what sections I previously stopped at. Don't get me wrong, I like organization, but only with personal projects.

This might seem like the blind the leading the blind, but what are tips from other NTPs who experience this same problem?

PS. In fact, I shouldn't even be on here, lol.

Adderall XR.

Take one pill in the morning, consider the rest done.

Did you ever watch the movie Limitless?

I liken my life to the main character. I have been taking Adderall for two years and flew up the corporate ladder until I decided to resign because I found it more profitable to start my own hedge fund.

I also love it how people dismiss the notion of taking a pill to get work done because they deem it to be ineffective. Lucky that I have proof that these silver bullets got me to where I want to be in life.

I wake up at 4AM every day because I look forward to my exciting day. Pop an Adderall, and plow like a machine with enjoyment through more work that most people would do in a year.

This morning I was able to react to the Japan tsunami first before heavy trading activity latter in the morning transpired. Shorted the USD/JPY pair at first notice, it tanked to the stop loss support zone at 82.75 - thereafter triggering a mega wave of big dollar institutional stop loss orders, and exited all positions near record support at 81.00 before the rally. Easy $875.34.

Could you only imagine if everyone took Adderall? There would be no point in being an over-achiever because it would be the norm.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
*pops an Adderall and begins climbing the corporate ladder*

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If I could develop a cure for procrastination, I could make billions. Too bad I probably won't get around to developing one...

The only thing that seems to help me at all is becoming intensely interested in my goals, and writing them down everywhere.

MoneyTick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
*pops an Adderall and begins climbing the corporate ladder*

Yea, and what happens when there is no more ladder to climb? What happens when you reach the top?

You will then be able to see from the peak of your emphanage window how the world truly operates.

People inscribe the concept of having a job in their minds as if there is no other alternative. The reality is, having a job is a hell of a game.

I played it once before, and ultimately beat the game.

I pretended to be dumber than my superiors but smarter than my subordinates so I was always the perfect candidate for a promotion. The officers fear that the board would discover someone else is qualified for their position, so the officers take every action necessary to make sure the “one under them” is dumber but the most qualified to take over. Then each officer moves up the game ladder, leaving a trail of dumb armatures in their wake.

I played dumb, notched up my intelligence to be the “perfect candidate,” and I ultimately became the CFO of the private holdings company Intermax Securities.

We hired traders that were GREAT, but dumb enough to not realize they could be netting what they made for us with their own proprietary capital.

I remember how the CEO reacted when he found out half of our team could outperform every single trade he ever made. We had REALLY smart people working for us, and they knew far more about profitable capital management than we did!

But they were smart, we were clever. They had the brains; we knew how to leverage their brains to pay for our Miami corporate vacation trips. They could do complex math in a flash, we could count money fast.

I resigned and started my own holdings company. Thank be to the anonymity of the internet, everyone I know will just wake up in the morning and continue working from 9 to 5.

Formal education will make you a living, self-education will make you a fortune.

But I have to admit, those silver bullets I spoke of previously did the trick. It is also my understanding that very few people will take the initiative to look into it. The psychology of the circumstance is quite interesting; when you tell someone to do X for Y and consider the rest done - they mistake its simplicity for irrelevance. I suppose the less people that know, the better. If anybody here has ever taken Adderall and you are proficient in finance, you know exactly what I mean.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yea, and what happens when there is no more ladder to climb? What happens when you reach the top?

You will then be able to see from the peak of your emphanage window how the world truly operates.

People inscribe the concept of having a job in their minds as if there is no other alternative. The reality is, having a job is a hell of a game.

I played it once before, and ultimately beat the game.

I pretended to be dumber than my superiors but smarter than my subordinates so I was always the perfect candidate for a promotion. The officers fear that the board would discover someone else is qualified for their position, so the officers take every action necessary to make sure the “one under them” is dumber but the most qualified to take over. Then each officer moves up the game ladder, leaving a trail of dumb armatures in their wake.

I played dumb, notched up my intelligence to be the “perfect candidate,” and I ultimately became the CFO of the private holdings company Intermax Securities.

We hired traders that were GREAT, but dumb enough to not realize they could be netting what they made for us with their own proprietary capital.

I remember how the CEO reacted when he found out half of our team could outperform every single trade he ever made. We had REALLY smart people working for us, and they knew far more about profitable capital management than we did!

But they were smart, we were clever. They had the brains; we knew how to leverage their brains to pay for our Miami corporate vacation trips. They could do complex math in a flash, we could count money fast.

I resigned and started my own holdings company. Thank be to the anonymity of the internet, everyone I know will just wake up in the morning and continue working from 9 to 5.

Formal education will make you a living, self-education will make you a fortune.

But I have to admit, those silver bullets I spoke of previously did the trick. It is also my understanding that very few people will take the initiative to look into it. The psychology of the circumstance is quite interesting; when you tell someone to do X for Y and consider the rest done - they mistake its simplicity for irrelevance. I suppose the less people that know, the better. If anybody here has ever taken Adderall and you are proficient in finance, you know exactly what I mean.

Lies. I took Ritalin, which is the same thing. It works for a week or two, then your body builds a tolerance.

Unique

The NT theory... if there is a problem, there is a drug for said problem

lol

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4

lol

Or not. I've discovered that taking such chemical interventions make my performance worse. As for the procrastination for the OP:
1) Why do you procrastinate?
2) What strategies have you tried to prevent this habit?
3) How long does it take before you realise that you're procrastinating?
4) When you start realising it at time 3), what do you do?
5) Do others know that you're procrastinating?
6) Would you be able to commit, say, 2 hours away from the computer to study each day [or at least every two days]? If not, why?
7) How much time do you spend online versus study time?
8) Do you feel like you want your computer to be stuck to you biologically? [laughs!]

These questions are a good start in diagnosing the 'badness' of procrastination you're having at the moment.

MoneyTick

MBTI Type
ENTJ

lol

big_pharma_church_600.jpg

MoneyTick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Lies. I took Ritalin, which is the same thing. It works for a week or two, then your body builds a tolerance.

Our 35th President of the United States disagrees.

"I don't care if it's horse piss. It works."
- JFK, June 1962

... Which was in response to his brother's, Attorney General Robert Kennedy's, requisition to stop using Jacobson's amphetamine injections.

He took a dose of amphetamines before his legendary "Ich Bin Ein Berliner" speech according to a clinical (now-declassified) CIA study on foreign leaders. (Post, Jerrold M. and Robins, Robert S. When Illness Strikes the Leader: The Dilemma of the Captive King. New Haven, CT: [a] pp. 69-70)

Interestingly enough, Hitler's personal doctor was the individual who synthesized the first amphetamine compound at his request for an effective cognitive enhancement pharmaceutical. Obviously Hitler was already psychotic coming into the political realm, the amphetamines just extinguished his last bit of moral sentiment.

Personally, I harmonize with JFKs review of the product.

R

RDF

When it comes to breaking the habit of procrastination:
--Discover your optimal time frames. Figure out how long you would work on something at the last minute, and give yourself exactly that same window but start earlier.
--Break up a task into bite-size chunks. If it's hard to get started on a project, break the project into steps and try tackling the second or third step first, to get some momentum.
--Stop when you say you will. We sometimes procrastinate by not finishing, or by working on something for an undefined amount of time, making it more daunting to get started next time. So determine how long you'll work on something and stick to it. Set a timer. Allow 5 minutes for your wrap-up, indicate your next action (make some notes about where you are and where you go next), and then stop.
--Devise 3 approaches: minimum, moderate, and maximum. Opt for minimum or moderate when possible. (This helps you realize there are more options than disaster or perfection.)
--Dramatically shift focus. Train yourself to take a break at the point of diminishing returns. Go do something unrelated.
--Build in checkpoints. Establish natural progress breaks to step away from the work and come back fresh to evaluate it.

When it comes to breaking the habit of chronic lateness (procrastination causes you to run late for everything):
--Latecomers are referred to as time optimists, in that they are always overly optimistic about how much they can fit into a day. So become a time realist. Buy a stop watch and practice time estimating. Put a time estimate next to every task on your to-do list. Then use your stopwatch to find out how much time it really takes.
--Arrive 10 minutes early everywhere you go. And have something interesting to do while you wait. (Bring a book to read.)
--Change your excuses. Instead of a dramatic re-enactment of what went wrong, simply apologize for being late: "I apologize for being late. I have a problem arriving places on time, and I'm working to improve it. I really don't mean to be rude."
--Avoid the just-one-more-task syndrome. Make it a rule that you may not add any new tasks at the last moment if it wasn't on your plan.
--Ban all rushing. If you're feeling like you're having to rush to get ready, that's the signal that you're trying to do too much. Take one thing out of your list of preparations and slow down.
--Create a cheat sheet for how long things really take. Time things, create a reference list of the lengths of common tasks (getting out the door in the morning, shopping, etc.) that you can refer to when planning your day.

When it comes to breaking the habit of mindless escapes (TV, video games, email checking, internet surfing, shopping, etc. as a means of procrastinating), high points include:
--Engage more deeply: When bored or anxious, listen more closely to the conversation, notice the environment--visual cues, sounds, scents, etc.
--Place alternatives within easy reach: Set up activities/alternatives ahead of time so that when tempted by a bad habit, the fixes are right there.

(From the book "Shed Your Stuff, Change Your Life" by Julie Morgenstern)

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
The cure for procrastination- There is no such thing as procrastination
You dignose yourself with a problem that doesn't exist.