• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Altruism and win-win

fragrance

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Do you feel bad when you turn an act (which society expects to be altruistic or sacrificing) into a win-win situation?

Example: When I once wrote a love letter to someone, I primarily regarded that love letter as an opportunity to improve my writing style. And secondarily as a means to express my feelings for her.

So when I finished the letter, I felt as if the job was done and didn't really feel like going to the post office. I still did it because that completed the win-win situation: She got a well-written letter and I improved my writing.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't see anything wrong with the win-win situation. I kind of think that makes the whole situation even better.

However, I find your scenario a little strange. Assuming you are serious, that is. Were you really in love with this person? Did you really want them to know about it? The fact that improving your writing style was the number one thing, and that you "didn't really feel like going to the post office", suggests confusion about your motives...

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think writing a love letter for the purpose of improving your writing is altruitic at all.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
It's easy to determine what feels like a win for you. The fallacy can exist in assuming we know what a "win" means to someone else.
Now, if your satisfaction derives from writing a well written letter and her receiving one, I don't feel you really know what altruism is.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I don't feel bad about it. I usually only help people out this way. The exception is my family and very close friends. Outside of those select people, if I am helping out someone, it is to be expected I have a motive for it that will end up helping myself out in the end as well.

rav3n

I've yet to be convinced that true altruism exists. Even when we do something kind for someone else, we still feel good about the act. Whether that translates to a dopamine hit, I don't know for fact but I'm guessing it does. That's not to say that people shouldn't be regarded in a positive way when they do something kind for someone else.

So, win-win is great! It appeals to Te.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I definitely wouldn't feel feel guilty about turning a sacrificial action into a win-win. In fact, that seems to be the ideal to me. I can only sacrifice so much before I wear myself out.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Win-win is obviously better than one that is strictly beneficial for one party, regardless of whether one is benefiting by serving one's self or by being helped by the other party. This is plainly rational.

Now, when you say primarily vs secondarily, there's something more two it. You have a priority system which favors self-interest. At the time, it's still no drag because the end result was win-win, and the result is what matters. But if that is the thrust of your intention, it may veer you into doing things that are selfish in result more often, so be wary.

fragrance

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Were you really in love with this person? Did you really want them to know about it? The fact that improving your writing style was the number one thing, and that you "didn't really feel like going to the post office", suggests confusion about your motives...

I wasn't in love with the person, I'd say I was hooked on... though we've known each other for years. And as for the priorities: It's not that clear-cut. Of course, first of all, I wanted to write a letter to her, but then mid-way I somehow lost myself in the writing and found it fascinating and made several revisions etc. And then at the end, I realized that I did it more as a practice than to express something.

I don't feel bad about it. I usually only help people out this way. The exception is my family and very close friends. Outside of those select people, if I am helping out someone, it is to be expected I have a motive for it that will end up helping myself out in the end as well.

Yes, it's basically about this. Is it morally acceptable to do so? Though, in my view, nowadays it's already special if people help at all, even in win-win situations.

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Do you feel bad when you turn an act (which society expects to be altruistic or sacrificing) into a win-win situation?

Example: When I once wrote a love letter to someone, I primarily regarded that love letter as an opportunity to improve my writing style. And secondarily as a means to express my feelings for her.

So when I finished the letter, I felt as if the job was done and didn't really feel like going to the post office. I still did it because that completed the win-win situation: She got a well-written letter and I improved my writing.

so in writing the letter proper, you feel it cheapened what you were trying to express? you mean like splitting something down the middle can lessen the quality of something cause you are trying to meet 2 ends or 3 or 4?

I can see where this is headed......btw, before discussion progresses, who`s ideals do you plan to shred to pieces?

fragrance

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
you mean like splitting something down the middle can lessen the quality of something cause you are trying to meet 2 ends or 3 or 4?

On the contrary, I think it got better because I was trying to meet two ends. But most people would probably not think that way... they'd probably say that it's not "authentic". But I think those people are lost in romanticizations.

who`s ideals do you plan to shred to pieces?

Probably those who seek assurance in romanticizations.