• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs, would you marry a Theist?

NTs, would you marry an theist?

• Total voters

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
New in the 'eck shamelessly steals a thread and applies and give it a small perspective shift' series!

Get your copy now!

Since most NFsNTs have a tendency to believe in ''something bigger'',observable patterns and disagree with essentialism (a point that can be discussed but i'm quoting here!) i was wondering if you would necessarily expect the same from your special one.
Thoughts?

ps: please answer to the poll based on a realistic model of the long term consequences of the choice and not based on some 'in the best possible world' case or on how you like to see yourself as open minded and accepting.
I'm interested in a realistic appraisal of the 'system' that would be the married couple given a realistic situation. Base your vote on a kind of 'statistically averaged' married couple with you as one of the contractually linked parties, sharing everyday life, budgets, holidays (!), maybe family events...

KilgoreTrout

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think deeply held beliefs are fundamental in making a relationship work. Religious beliefs are so polarizing since none (to my knowledge) allow for another path. I would not be comfortable in a relationship knowing my partner believed I was headed for eternal damnation just as I am sure my partner would not feel comfortable in a relationship where I thought his faith was based on outdated superstitions.

A relationship of this nature would be even more difficult to maintain if raising children were to become a factor.

T

ThatGirl

I'm generally unaffected by other people's belief systems. Assuming we were compatible in the other area's (including morality) and they were accepting of my beliefs, I don't see why it would be a problem.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm an agnostic and I would be willing to marry a theist on the condition that he doesn't pressure me into converting to his religion. As long as he accepts my belief system, I'm cool with it. As long he doesn't feel the need to constantly bring up and make issue of our differences, I'd be okay with that.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I actually did marry a theist and was married for a long long time.

Even with us being split, I still am supportive of the faith quest, even if I disagree with some of the political/moral stances my ex holds.
(I just think they're unrealistic, but I understand why they seem rational to my ex.)

In general, I can deal with people who use their faith to inform their choices but understand that others have to make their own decisions about life, and who also are willing to listen and be able to 'follow' other ways of thinking. The more rigid and closed someone is, the less I could be with them as an SO.

Lucas

MBTI Type
INTP
I think I would be fine marrying a deist or an agnostic theist.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Yes, since I'm a theist myself. I'd prefer a fellow theist, but not someone who was highly evangelical or rigid.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Thanks for your opinions guys.
As for myself mh.
While I do agree about the fact that 'shit is possible' I don't think I could get along with all the cultural baggage of any dominant monotheistic religion.

It's just too 'close to my culture' for it not to create clashes. And I know I'd suck at 'having semi taboo topics'. I sincerely can't do that. Once someone is part of my 'special circle of people I care about' (assuming I'm not going to go for an arranged marriage and prefer being single to being in a relationship for the sake of having a regular sexual partner) the topic would come up and we'd disagree. And this is one of these beliefs that is fundamental to a person's ego and I don't see (relative) overall growth occuring in a system with such counter productive fundamental opposition. I'm all for difference but that to me is more of a matter\ anti matter mix. It sure extracts work\energy but destroy structure.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Once someone is part of my 'special circle of people I care about' (assuming I'm not going to go for an arranged marriage and prefer being single to being in a relationship for the sake of having a regular sexual partner) the topic would come up and we'd disagree. And this is one of these beliefs that is fundamental to a person's ego and I don't see overall growth occuring in a system with such counter productive fundamental opposition. I'm all for difference but that to me is more of a matter\ anti matter mix. It sure extracts work\energy but destroy structure.

This was kind of the problem. Once our beliefs diverged, we were both changing in different directions. We cared about each other as people, but we were growing further apart in some ways. (Or, actually, I could still see convergence between our two belief structures if my ex could broaden perspective, but the strict adherence to particular monotheistic faith details made it difficult to perceive the broad patterns of convergence with my existential theist /agnostic view.)

Some people make it work, but it usually means that one person just doesn't much talk about their beliefs and they live one lifestyle or the other; OR it has to be a couple where both still can feel close without seeing their beliefs as something that gets between them.

Cat_Cloud

MBTI Type
INtP
I actually ama Christian (Gasp! An INTP christian!?!?) but my views on religion are very flexible and most conservative christians would probably call me a heretic... I see religion in general as something to study objectively in its origional context or from the perspective of multiple cultures, so if a married a theist they would have to be opened minded (same if I married an atheist. When it comes to religion, I find that many of them are touchy and close minded. Some think that Christians don't believe in gravity...). I hate it when people are close minded and only rely on what others have told them, or only interpret it through their own culture.

KilgoreTrout

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I want to expound a bit more on my answer now that I have additional time:

I, personally, don't have a problem with other people's religions and have friendships with people of various spiritual beliefs. I respect and understand everyone's need for fulfillment and answers wherever they may be found. I was raised in a Christian household, was sent to a Christian school, but never felt any sort of conviction in what I was taught. After I made the decision to cease attending church, my mother told me one night (in tears) that it broke her heart that (because I am agnostic) we would be separated for eternity. It was fairly traumatizing that my mother, even though she loves me unconditionally, thought that I would go to "hell" because I did not subscribe to Christianity.

I understand more my Christian friends who look at the general philosophy of the Bible as opposed to those who strictly adhere to the literal tenants. My friends who are Muslim never freely talk about their religion, probably a force of habit due to the stigmatized status of their religion in this country.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Damn it Eck, we stole that idea together and you didn't give me any credit in the new thread? Shame on you! :steam:

Here is what I posted in the other thread:

Anywho, they should make a companion thread to this: "atheists, would you marry a follower of one of the monotheistic religions?"

(Im very nearly NT, so my reply on this is still relevant)

For myself, I wouldn't. This isn't because I couldn't respect/like them, just belief in such things would indicate a difference in world view that would interfere with any personal connection. On the other hand, a pantheist/spiritual person would be dandy.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Damn it Eck, we stole that idea together and you didn't give me any credit in the new thread? Shame on you! :steam:

Here is what I posted in the other thread:

Anywho, they should make a companion thread to this: "atheists, would you marry a follower of one of the monotheistic religions?"

(Im very nearly NT, so my reply on this is still relevant)

For myself, I wouldn't. This isn't because I couldn't respect/like them, just belief in such things would indicate a difference in world view that would interfere with any personal connection. On the other hand, a pantheist/spiritual person would be dandy.

What? what idea? oh, that. Did you make the nf thread? I'd be more than happy to give credit where credit is due.

and yeah, by more than happy i'm obviously talking about hysterical levels of joy. Like the joker's drug in Tim Burton's batman. Sick stuff

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Yeah, probably. I would rather marry an agnostic a/theist, though, like myself.

Just someone who won't mind me picking apart the God argument, but won't expect me to make a decision about it. :laugh:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
well. i think it would be her problem that i dont believe in god more than my problem about her believing.

if she would try to explain why god is the shit or something like that, i would argue about it until she would shut up about it or until she is convinced that there is no god.

rav3n

I did marry a theist and he subsequently became agnostic, then atheist like myself. And then we divorced. So if they're convertible, sure, why not? (kidding, he converted himself.)

While I don't really want to remarry again, if for some reason it were to happen again, it would have to be a non-practicing/noncoercive theist, agnostic or atheist.