• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs, would you marry a Theist?

NTs, would you marry an theist?

• Total voters

Lark

Don't be silly..everyone *knows* the world was created out of the body of a Frost Giant who came to be through the union of ice and fire!
Leprecauns and brownies had nothing to do with that! :rules:

Proof of Giant Theory

:D

I would not scoff at the fables and ancient stories, the have lived longer than any of us and will live when we arent even a memory anymore.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:D

I would not scoff at the fables and ancient stories, the have lived longer than any of us and will live when we arent even a memory anymore.

Believe me, I'm a fan of mythology and I love the ancient tales very much. On the other hand, the Vikings were not afraid of having a laugh themselves with everything and anything, which is very clear when you read the Eddas, so I doubt they'll mind ;)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Since I have never prayed , been in a church or some other ceremony I think that it would be much easier/better if I skip the theistic women.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Atheist female here. While I might be able to tolerate a very moderately religious mate for a while if I was very much in love and he was a great match otherwise, I think the trouble would start as soon as kids entered the scenario.
I would not want my children to be raised in a religious environment. If they choose to join a religious community when they are old enough to have a mind of their own, fine.

So while I have theist friends and might even try a relationship with one for a while, I see trouble on the way for a long term arrangement or marriage, especially when founding a family.

Lark

Believe me, I'm a fan of mythology and I love the ancient tales very much. On the other hand, the Vikings were not afraid of having a laugh themselves with everything and anything, which is very clear when you read the Eddas, so I doubt they'll mind ;)

I know what you mean, I like their culture as it comes across in some of their literary sources or legends, YLJ reminds me of them a bit and I think he's from that part of the world.

Lark

Atheist female here. While I might be able to tolerate a very moderately religious mate for a while if I was very much in love and he was a great match otherwise, I think the trouble would start as soon as kids entered the scenario.
I would not want my children to be raised in a religious environment. If they choose to join a religious community when they are old enough to have a mind of their own, fine.

So while I have theist friends and might even try a relationship with one for a while, I see trouble on the way for a long term arrangement or marriage, especially when founding a family.

Where you brought up in a religious environment and what do you mean by a religious environment? Please dont be defensive I'm just curious.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Where you brought up in a religious environment and what do you mean by a religious environment? Please dont be defensive I'm just curious.

I think some people reject the religious environment out of love for the child, but I think the reality is that this is an overactive defense mechanism. We greatly underestimate the child's capacity to understand the world, so much that we want to be proactive and put a sterile dish out to facilitate some ideal development (naturally, this ideal is different for each parent), devoid of any detractors. We know what is right, because we already grew up, but we experienced our own development and have some ideas of whats right and wrong, what works and what doesn't. We forget that every individual goes through the same process, but reaches different conclusions. So a religious family will take their children to church, while a non-religious family will not. Both families love their children, and both families are correct from at least one perspective.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Please, make sense once in a while. It's getting embarassing

Well I meant, if I love her, I would even marry a dragon.

Dont know why it's always me who only seems to understand that :(

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Don't be silly..everyone *knows* the world was created out of the body of a Frost Giant who came to be through the union of ice and fire!
Leprecauns and brownies had nothing to do with that! :rules:

Proof of Giant Theory

i know. but some people might think that it was created by leprecauns or brownies and i just cant stand those people

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To Lark:

Sure you can ask :D

I am the child of two atheists who were themselves raised as moderate Protestants but lost their faith in their teens. I never visited any religion classes at school except maybe for a year at elementary school and did ethics and philosophy instead. One of my friends at elementary school was the daughter of the local pastor and I remember running home to my Mum after playing with her one day going: "Mum, Susanne says I will go to hell because I'm not baptised!" she didn't mean anything by it, I'm sure, she just stated it in a matter of fact way, but I remember this as one of my first encounters with religion. Religion was never a topic at home. It was considered something other people did. Like eating salt and vinegar chips instead of paprika flavored ones. I was raised by a single mum who is a likely ENTP and a science teacher, by the way. That might have contributed.

I had a few class mates later on who were moderately religious, but in my part of the world (rural northern Germany in the eighties and nineties), it is not very much a part of the public arena.

Then I went to the USA for a year as an exchange student and omg, what a different world that was. I lived in Indiana. My host family was deeply religious, Lutherans. They send their kid to a religious private school. When I told them I had bouht a book by Mark Twain, their answer was "But, wasn't he an atheist?!". They told their son he descended from Adam and Eve and that was all he needed to know. They were also very conservative in my European eyes on many other issues and had little to no interest in intellectual debate. Kind, but very simple, down to earth people. One of my teachers was a very intelligent and well read conservative and a joy to debate. So I know not all conservative Cristians in America are like that. But that year seriously traumatized me.

As I grew up I gave a lot of thought to philisophical questions and even tried to reason my way towards spirituality in my very early twens, but it was no use. I hit a mental brick wall whenever I wanted to take the path of reason and the burning bush just wouldn't appear before me. I eventually gave up on that venture as I became older.

Today, I have one or two very moderately Christian friends and one crazy ENFP who prays to Mother Earth and regularly sees a witch for some fortune telling. So I consider myself pretty tolerant after all.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i know. but some people might think that it was created by leprecauns or brownies and i just cant stand those people

We'd so get along :wubbie:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Then I went to the USA for a year as an exchange student and omg, what a different world that was. I lived in Indiana. My host family was deeply religious, Lutherans. They send their kid to a religious private school. When I told them I had bouht a book by Mark Twain, their answer was "But, wasn't he an atheist?!". They told their son he descended from Adam and Eve and that was all he needed to know. They were also very conservative in my European eyes on many other issues and had little to no interest in intellectual debate. Kind, but very simple, down to earth people. One of my teachers was a very intelligent and well read conservative and a joy to debate. So I know not all conservative Cristians in America are like that. But that year seriously traumatized me.

You gotta watch out for the religious whackjobs. I've only known maybe a handful of people out of the hundreds of religious people I've known that would object to something as innocent as Mark Twain. I tend to avoid them myself.

lol, Mark Twain.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I never knew religious people. I once had a hamster I tried to baptize christian so I had my first religious friend !! He drowned :/

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
:sadbanana: no they have a soul ! He's in hamster central now xD

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've noticed that the younger generations tend to dump their belief in God, they're arguing online and stuff.

So you mean the younger generations who are arguing online (since you're not witnessing those not online) are dumping their belief in God?

:sadbanana: no they have a soul ! He's in hamster central now xD

.... well, if that's what you need to believe...!
(I think he's just pushing up daisies.)

I mean, if the whole animal soul thing is true, I wonder if dog souls chase cat souls in heaven.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have another question, since the poll is public:

@Nerd Girl, you say you would not marry a theist, but if memory serves me right, you're a vocal Christian, aren't you?
Did I miss a post on this, or what exactly is the logic here?
(No judgment, just curious.)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
for those who think all religious people are up in your grill or that you haven't met anyone who's religious you probably have. I've known people who believe in God but they don't mention it unless someone asks directly about their beliefs. Do you really think, all christians are fundamentalist? You're suppose to be NTs, at least account for people who are christian but don't give a fuck about converting you. Oh and the same can be said for atheists, religion or lack of religion to me is a personal thing. No one except you should be deciding what to believe, and if anyone looks down on you for that kick them hard and tell them to STFU

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
for those who think all religious people are up in your grill or that you haven't met anyone who's religious you probably have. I've known people who believe in God but they don't mention it unless someone asks directly about their beliefs. Do you really think, all christians are fundamentalist? You're suppose to be NTs, at least account for people who are christian but don't give a fuck about converting you. Oh and the same can be said for atheists, religion or lack of religion to me is a personal thing. No one except you should be deciding what to believe, and if anyone looks down on you for that kick them hard and tell them to STFU

So you are famous on the board, for not taking too much to serious and to create the occasional thread in which you make fun out of things and dont give people who think differently even a chance to have a different opinion. As in you appear to be strongly biased, stubborn and hard to convince of anything.

And you come here now and pledge for NTs to be more open to the world ? You cant be serious

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
WHat actually I give everyone the benefit of the doubt. And I posted a thread on morality I never attacked anyone in that thread. And I give ton of people chances who think differently. You obviously have terrible reading comprehension, because not once have I ever condemn someone for their beliefs usually when I make fun of someone it's because they're being closed minded and won't even consider other posibilities. I actually do consider other posibilities but it's also my right to discount them after doing so. I was just simply putting out their that you might be wrong, and I have not once made fun of someone for their religion nor have I ever said their religion is wrong. I don't judge people based on their religion.