• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTJ] ENTJ Feeling

quidtimeam

MBTI Type
INTP
After a very painful experience with an deep unrequited love for an ENTJ woman, and a close but at times confusing friendship with an ENTJ boss, I am quite curious as to how inferior Fi in ENTJs operates.

Typelogic says of ENTJ inferior Fi:

Feeling is romantic, as the ethereal as the inner world from whence it doth emerge. When it be awake, feeling evokes great passion that knows not nuance of proportion nor context. Perhaps these lesser functions inspire glorious recreational quests in worlds that never were, or may only ever be in fantasy. When overdone or taken too seriously, Fi turned outward often becomes maudlin or melodramatic. Feeling in this type appears most authentic when implied or expressed covertly in a firm handshake, accepting demeanor, or act of sacrifice thinly covered by excuses of lack of any personal interest in the relinquished item.

Both of the ENTJ case studies seem to have difficulty expressing their direct emotions. My love interest played a game of over a year with me, leading me on and acting as if our relationship was very meaningful to her, going out of her way to talk to me about personal issues, but then withdrawing when I wanted to spend more time one on one with her, using the specious excuse that she had to spend time with work colleagues whom frequently told me she disliked. It was like me and my NT ways were a sort of furtive pleasure for her, but she couldn't detach herself from the world of work enough to keep my in anything but this odd zone of cyber friendship, despite the fact that we had known each other in real life for a year before college took us to different towns.

My boss is another interesting case study, in that he privately tells me that the organization we are affiliated with is a joke and that he takes little to no pride in its operation, yet he is very careful to play office politics as delicately as possible and has only come to explicitly admit what I regard as an obvious conclusion about this organization after four years of intensive work for them. Again, the private feeling is almost entirely transparent from the outward commitment.

So it seems to me like there is a great deal of dissimulation with ENTJ emotion. Fi is a perceiving function, so I can see it being rather open ended, but it still is quite shocking to my Fe sensibilities. How do ENTJs end up committing explicitly to people and projects that hold their sincere interest? I've gotten the "firm handshake, accepting demeanor, or act of sacrifice" from both of them (The one time I was reunited with the ENTJ woman she placed an intimate hand on my back at our departure in spite of her general business-like attitude, as if to convey an admiration she didn't want to make very explicit.), but it seems to run counter to the work and social settings which govern their wider lives. From what I have observed, the degree to which they can divorce their sincere feeling from their outward mien sort of reminds me of American Psycho, and I wonder how any healthy ENTJs get to the point where they can feel like their Te is fully in service of shadowy Fi. Is burying oneself in work an attempt to achieve this, and does this strategy ever bear out, say if they achieve a position of great power in the workplace and move the organization in directions in line with their Fi?