• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs with addictions?!

Kuthtuk

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w3
I've allways wondered if us NTs are more prone to addictions...

And I mean in any sort of way be it a consumable like sweets, alcohol, cigaretes, drugs (I might be banned for this!). Or diferent things like little rituals "I must have a coffe break at 3 pm or else!!"

For example I'm a regular smoker (4-6 cigs a day) but i realy turn hardcore when I'm over anxious about something or when a project starts to take too long to be acomplished...

Plz comment! This thread is no meant to be offensive it's just that i'm curious! If you have any kind of adiction plz share and tell us what triggers it!

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I've always said I've a fairly addictive personality, and it's pretty much the main reason why I don't drink much and have never tried any recreational drugs (including tobacco). I'm addicted to food, and have been addicted to video games and certain tv shows in the past; in fact, one summer I spent most of my days in bed playing Monster Hunter, and avoiding meeting up with people so I could continue to play the game. I don't seem to have a trigger, or at least any I've identified, but it is a problem for me and one I'm always conscious to heed.

T

ThatGirl

I don't have an addictive personality at all, and because of this I probably participate in more over indulgence than the average person. My history is that no matter how "addictive" the substance, the second I actually decide to quit, I walk away without giving it a second thought.

Of course I don't have any experience with most of the addictive substances in the world.

It would seem the worst of them all, so far, has been this forum. :p

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Mostly the Internet and forums for me. I used to be addicted to certain computer games and Ninetendo in my childhood.

It's not really the same as addiction I don't think, but maybe related. I'll get really obsessed with something for awhile and it can be hard to pull me away from it. In the past this could be certain TV shows- if I found one I liked, I'd want to watch every episode. Certain authors or musicians have that effect too.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would say that I don't have that personality, but there are things that I would have trouble with without them. Caffeine is a big one, but that's possibly because I don't sleep very much, and if I have to stay away, but I physically can't, I get crabby.

Actually, other than that, I don't think I get very 'addicted' to things. I could say I'm addicted to the internet, but I'm not. I'm on it mostly because it calms me down after a busy day, lets me recollect my thoughts, and entertains me when I'm bored. If (for example, spring break) I'm being entertained most of the time, and have no internet access for a long time, then I'll be fine, just as long as there's people to hang out with and talk to, and something to do.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think any mbti type can be prone to addictions. What I've noticed from personal experience though, is that my J friends are far more solid on kicking addictions when they finally set their mind to it. Next up would be NT's. THe most addictive friends I've had are SP's and NF's. And I think this makes sense in that SP's are very experience oriented, and NF's are strongly affected by emotion. So an SP might dabble in some serious drugs for the kick of it and get hooked, and the NF's might have dabbled in drugs and get hooked because of how it makes them FEEl. Again, addictions to do with drugs. I have also known quite a few NT's specifically INT's that really loved their booze. A way to get out of their mind and connect with a social/external environment.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've allways wondered if us NTs are more prone to addictions...

And I mean in any sort of way be it a consumable like sweets, alcohol, cigaretes, drugs (I might be banned for this!). Or diferent things like little rituals "I must have a coffe break at 3 pm or else!!"

For example I'm a regular smoker (4-6 cigs a day) but i realy turn hardcore when I'm over anxious about something or when a project starts to take too long to be acomplished...

Plz comment! This thread is no meant to be offensive it's just that i'm curious! If you have any kind of adiction plz share and tell us what triggers it!

My ENTP brother never had any addictions I was aware of until he served in the Iraq War... twice. Suddenly, he was drinking a lot. I got really, really worried and now I'm really proud of him for having gotten that under control within the first year of returning. It hasn't been a problem since, but I think his family helps keep him self-aware.

Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to kick the chew habit. :sick:

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
I was really addicted to ice chewing for years. I don't know if I would have pursued stopping except I started being around someone who really hated it and told me, all the time. I was unable to avoid the person and started waiting for my ice till I got home. Then started forgetting to buy the good ice on the way home, then got too lazy to go back out for it... I eventually just forgot about it. So, I didn't really kick the habit, it just wound down. I had to have 3 open face s'mores for my snack at night for a really long time too. That just wound down too when I started eating better and better. I guess I have issues focusing on my addictions. Ha Ha. I am currently hooked on Starbucks, which is bad because very 'spensive. I hope it goes away too.

Cat_Cloud

MBTI Type
INtP
I'm addicted to information. ;)

I can get addicted to certian videogames and books. I need to finish them, and I can't do anything else until I'm done (which is usually is when I become disinterested, not when I actually when I've finished the book/game...). The internet is pretty addictive, but I tend to use it as more of a procrastination tool. I try to avoid things like achohol, tobaco and drugs, since I'm not sure I'll be able to stop once I get started. My family has had a bad history with addictions. Overall, I don't think addictions are MBTI type specific.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Overall, I don't think addictions are MBTI type specific.

Nor do I.

I don't have any addictions, really. I struggle a bit with hypochondria, so maybe I'm addicted to freaking out about my health. :laugh:

Omission1234

I think anyone of anytype can have an addictive personality. But I would say there are definitely people more prone to addiction then others. I would say I have a very addictive personality. i love my coffee too, thats the only thing im still on/ indulging in haha. I used to smoke alot and take alot of opioid pills like codeine. I've had some issues with alcohol and generally i dont drink because my personality is terrible around any altering substance. I do eat mainly vegetarian foods and do meditation sometimes yoga if i need to re-focus bad energy away. Umm ive never talked about this before my parents and brother doesnt even know. My family has a serious addiction problem and depression. I dont think im depressed but very anxious and i used to cut or self harm alot for like 8 years sooooooooo there definitely is addictive personalities and being aware of this is a good step in a healthy life if you want it.

I decided i couldnt hit rock bottom and im also really self judgemental so maybe the J thing is true. But I've cleaned up and i write poetry and paint soooo anything besides the numbing control is good for me.

With regards to triggering of kinds i would say being with a group of people i dont feel comfortable in.. now its better i just enjoy the 10-30 min awkwardness and i feel proud of enduring it. where a few years ago id drink myself into a stuper or go run and cut or something. just to control my emotions soo no one would see how much i hurt and felt. i think they thought i was a robot... i did too haha. ( i can laugh now)
the opioids where my secret no one knows i would do it mainly in serious downers and just alot of self hate but that only lasted for 6 months and luckily it didnt get too scary and out of control soooo

My dad really has shown me that you can leave all the numbing behind and start fresh and live freely and not to be afraid to feel and love and cry. dealing with them and showing them is more important and more strong then hiding them and destroying yourself in the process.

Now i dont know if its my personality of judging myself and always overanalyzing it both ways into neg situations and overanalyzing myself into an epiphany and rehabilitation but whatever im so happy i got out of my head a bit to share my life with my family again and show people i do feel and i feel alot and its important.

thats alot of ramble hahah welcome to my group confession hahaha "my name is..." "heyy...." hahahha but in all seriousness meetings help too when you need it and sometimes just when others need it.

Omission1234

also to make it clear i dont know if i make sense sometimes but
my addictive behaviours, drugs, cutting , food( sometimes)
where done in my home privately i wouldnt ever do this in public or anything
alcohol was probably the main reason i stopped, everyone could see the effect and see how sad i really was and i hated it.

i generally did all this because i hated myself alot or i couldnt find a way to show how ifelt or i sometimes didnt want to. addictions arent always clear cut and categorized soo

also i think if you have an addictive personality it can apply to anything i used to try and masturbate to prolong or ward off using drugs or cutting sooo i literally tried many a terrible way to avoid feeling my feelings and avoid crying which i thought was childish and i learned not dealing with them directly is more weak and not at all who i want to be soo

this is personal but im gay im still trying to deal with myself and my love interests and life but my family member asked when drunk why i was so sad and why i hated myself so much that i hung out with terrible friends who disrespect me and put me down. friends who lie behind my back and why i couldnt show how i really felt. they said they dont care as long as im happy truly and then they are. it made me cry for the first time in public in 4 years, it was a blow to my stomach an epiphany and i decided ever since then never to return to numbing and self hate..

sooo anyone who is reading this and has some issues it can get better and i did want it. i still struggle or desire to numb the pain and the emotions but i always deal with it expressively or externally now eventually.. and it does help. if anyone needs help or wants to chat or whatever about this feel free to chat i dont mind, it helps everyone.

ScorpioINTP

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6-5
I dunno if I would qualify things as addictions so to speak, but I must have soda daily (with or w/o caffeine). I like Diet MT. dew in the am and Pepsi max/coke zero/generic cola/other in the eve. I just love carbonated drinks. I have kinda been addicted to some video games & internet and obsessed with different hobbies, but it's almost like I just immerse myself in whatever I enjoy (1. as an escape, 2. to get it out of my system to the point where I can moderate the activity and balance it with my life.). I can suddenly just stop one day and lose interest for a period of time or indefinitely even. Sometimes my curiosity about a subject matter gets piqued and I stay up all night absorbing information and researching on the internet. I can't go long without chocolate, cookies or some sort of salty snacks (chips, doritios, cheese puffs etc) to satisfy my cravings. I guess Pepsico/Frito Lay has me by my balls.

All that said, I have never tried any drugs, cigarettes and I can take or leave alcohol. I drink socially, but I rarely feel the need to have a "drink". TBH, I don't understand alcoholism. A few straight days of hangovers is enough for me to stop.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I have been addicted to everything you could be on one world. Just quitted smoking for 2 weeks after being a regular smoker for 10 years with over 30 cigs per day.

Good thing is I have survived all unhealthy addictions and they wont come back now. I know am only a forum addict still. :)

Omission1234

entropie, yay!! kicking addictions is so hard so forum addicitions are a okay haha the only thing i love is coffee and diet coke now and usually only when im in school, but yeah i wanna give like an internet high five and also i think its great you shared that, i dont feel so alone now haha :D

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have been addicted to everything you could be on one world. Just quitted smoking for 2 weeks after being a regular smoker for 10 years with over 30 cigs per day.

Good thing is I have survived all unhealthy addictions and they wont come back now. I know am only a forum addict still. :)

That is awesome!