• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Christian ENTPs?

What is your view on religion as an ENTP?

• I am Christian and very serious about it

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • I'm Christian...whateva

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I was raised Christian and came to my senses

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • Christians freak me the funk out, stay away!

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • I'm down with the Buddha

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I'm Muslim

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Judaism is my thing

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Athists are better lovers

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Agnostics are fearless lovers

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Dude, what the hell, you forgot mine!

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
There was one. If you look back to the third page, Nerdgirl responded and said she's a Christian ENTP.

I am almost for sure that was a funny, there is no way on God's green earth an ENTP old enough to drink would feel that strongly about it.

I would go so far as to say that it's the job of Ne to question everything so by design you couldn't have an ENTP that was that religious or they wouldn't in fact be Ne dom. Just like you couldn't have an ENTP that was 100% on the E function or an INFJ that was 100% on the J function otherwise they wouldn't be their respective types.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
A billion and a half people believe in the tenets of Islam and the prophet Mohamed. Are they delusional? Are you seriously claiming that one and a half billion people are delusional?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
God is with me in all that I do. I owe every success, every joy, every teary-eyed moment of genius, everything! Everything I owe to God!! I have a deep assurance and happiness that remains steady, that would make me rich if I could bottle these special feelings and sell them. Rational? Look around you. Is it rational to say that everything came together just perfectly without a divine creator and poof there you are? God is with us. God is with the baby taking its first breath and the old man taking his last. God is right there outside your window: from the birds & bees, to the beautiful flowers & trees, the mountains, and the stars in the night sky. So if one of us is wrong,... if I'm wrong, I still leave this world happy with faith in something, having lost nothing. :D

What happens if you're wrong?

Yeah, gonna have to go with Samvega on this one. That's a very, very sarcastic statement. She practically beats you over the head with it.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So what's the point of this thread, then?

Beorn

Permabanned
let's face it, Christianity is linear in how the story is typically told today by the conservatives. There is a beginning, there is an ending, and everything is about following the through-line and reaching the happy ending. Balance? there is no balance. The world was good and supposed to be that way; then the world turned bad, and we have to restore the world to good.

The Matrix is far more eastern, with its overriding deterministic elements, the continual recycling/rebirth concept, and the need for good and evil to balance since they are just part of the same whole.... although I still think it merges those elements with Christian-style elements such as sacrifice / giving up control / accepting one's fate out of faith, etc. There were still many things i could identify with, Christianity-wise, in the latter two.

I think there is a false dichotomy between balance oriented world view and linear oriented world views.

I don't understand why anyone would say that Christianity is not about balance. Not about evil/good balance sure, but the most central doctrine of Christianity is the trinity which teaches that God is actually three persons living in perfect harmony and balance with one another.

I don't think dualistic worldviews are necesarilly non-linear. Isn't the journey from unbalanced to balanced a linear one?

Ah, yes. The same reasoning that takes Jesus from saying "if you want to enter the Kingdom, sell all your possessions, give the proceeds to the poor, and follow Me" to meaning that Jesus has no problem with rich people, and that God materially rewards the faithful on Earth. Riiiiiiiiight.

This is really a gross mischaracterization. Nobody interprets that verse as supporting greed... but, many christians in their pursuit of wealth simply ignore it.

Jesus was speaking on a personal level. The point of that verse is not that people must give up their possessions, but that they must give up anything they treasure more than God. For the rich young ruler that was his possessions. But, this is no new concept since the very first commandment is that "you may not have any other gods before me."

Essentially, the logic goes something like this - "I'm a Christian. I like X. Christians like Christian things. Therefore, X is Christian."

I won't deny that this is often the case. But, the source of this view is Abraham Kuyper who believed there was an organic unity between between special (the bible) and general (all other observable truth) revelation.

Kuyper once famously said: "Oh, no single piece of our mental world is to be hermetically sealed off from the rest, and there is not a square inch in the whole domain of our human existence over which Christ, who is Sovereign over all, does not cry: 'Mine!'

This was in opposition to Augustine and those that taught that there are two distinct worlds a kingdom of man and a kingdom of God. Kuyper has won out in contemporary evangelicalism and so Christians are constantly trying to find truth in the world that is in unity with the truth of their faith. It gives them a sense of wholeness when the world they live in matches up with the world they have faith in.

While I typically agree with that (and it's one reason why I don't have much issue with it, because I'm probably more gnostic in my leanings), there's a lot of pragmatic rubber-meets-road stuff in there. If there is anything evangelicals love, it is pithy, individual bits of concrete symbolism, so you get one guy telling Neo that he's his own "personal Jesus Christ," you get someone named Trinity bringing "Jesus" back to life, you get what amounts to demons (agents) body-hopping, the speeches about how the world is an illusion and there is a deeper reality, about how the world is against the Elect (who happen to be anchored in Zion) because they are of the world but it's not their fault... they're just blind... comments about "walking the walk and talking the talk," etc. The list is kind of endless, but it's actually all stuff I have heard within evangelical circles in sermons and conferences during my time there. So the movie sort of swiped a lot of language used in that modern Christian circle, which let it resonate with that group.

I find this to be largely true as well and obviously I'm an example of a Christian who likes to swipe small pithy statements and use them to further my argument. I never meant to defend the matrix as a thoroughly orthodox christian movie. If it was then it would probably have been thoroughly lame as lately Christians have been making really bad movies that are overtly about christianity.

I can't begin to tell you how many of the evangelical (not fundie, but evangelical + more liberal) churches have used this movie in study group settings. It was hip AND resonant.

Out of interest what would be evangelical + more liberal?
I'm not saying that evangelicals can't be liberal I'm just curious what this means to you since both terms are very difficult to nail down.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think there is a false dichotomy between balance oriented world view and linear oriented world views.

I don't understand why anyone would say that Christianity is not about balance. Not about evil/good balance sure...

And that was what I was describing (not these other things you brought up), so yeah.

I don't think dualistic worldviews are necesarilly non-linear. Isn't the journey from unbalanced to balanced a linear one?

Again, I was talking about how Christianity is linear, in terms of the Bible that embodies it. It starts at Genesis/creation, then goes through Revelation and projects to an endpoint. Everything is about projection through that endpoint. And when people get to heaven, they seem to pretty uniformly believe that people stay there forever. Perfection -> Fall -> Struggle -> Perfection --> STOP. End of story. The main bulk of Christians vehemently deny circular paths such as reincarnation.

Other cultures might be far more about cycles, seasons, rise and fall, and good and evil are not necessarily enemies but two sides of the same coin. (To try and purge evil or good collapses the system, which is exactly what Neo realized about Smith eventually. Smith and he was opposites of the same coin, both imprinted on each other; their fates were tied, and any strength that Neo accrued, Smith eventually balanced out himself. Neo = 1, Smith = 0. Neo brought life, Smith brought death. Life and the ending of life. The solution to the Smith/Neo battle is not for either one of them to "win" but to balance out the equation, and by accepting the inevitability of the birth->life->death cycle himself, Neo forces Smith to accept it as well since both inevitably share the same fate regardless of what happens.)

Western vs Eastern or even tribal culture also mirrors Levi-Stauss' view of hot/cold cultures. Western culture, with its constant focus on "moving forward" toward better things with an endpoint of perfection, is wrapped up in Christianity. More tribal cultures that are labeled as cold do not having time moving forward inevitably, are not as nearly focused on "progress," and are instead about maintaining a circular balance, a stable balance.

I find this to be largely true as well and obviously I'm an example of a Christian who likes to swipe small pithy statements and use them to further my argument. I never meant to defend the matrix as a thoroughly orthodox christian movie. If it was then it would probably have been thoroughly lame as lately Christians have been making really bad movies that are overtly about christianity.

Kirk Cameron as "Neo." I guess we should be glad it was Keanu! :)

Out of interest what would be evangelical + more liberal?
I'm not saying that evangelicals can't be liberal I'm just curious what this means to you since both terms are very difficult to nail down.

I'm sketch-painting -- but I'm talking mostly about the Christian culture that is fairly affluent (upper-lower to middle through upper class, including the mega churches), that does utilizes more modern worship (since those who strongly confine themselves to hymns probably avoiding interacting and absorbing from the current culture altogether), that tends to vote politically conservative and have conservative takes on public issues, are into Christian media, etc. Does that help?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Nobody sane claims to know living poo, winged galaxy sized bees, unicorns, etc. If you're going to seriously try to claim that over a billion people are actually insane, you'd better get working on it.
and yet 100 billion flies eat shit. Food for thought.
1 billion people claiming things that don't have any base in observable reality just means 1 billion delusional people. Reality isn't a democracy.

Delusion:
Psychiatry - A false belief strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence, especially as a symptom of mental illness:

Humanity shares its gene pool and memepool. Due to numerous drastic reductions in human recently (in evolutionary time scales) we're very similar as a species. So in the same way that large fragments of human populations will shares tendencies for say heart disease, neuropathology etc, people are disposed to be infected by religious memes and develop delusions (in no specific order, one of these 'egg or chicken' coevolutionary things)

Do you really think I care who says what? Really?
I'm sorry for assuming I was talking to an adult

Since you know what everybody else has experienced better than they do, you tell me what I'm hearing.
i'm not the one claiming divine revelation here.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Delusion:
Psychiatry - A false belief strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence, especially as a symptom of mental illness:

That's a definition for Tom Cruise.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Indeed it is. And the denial of God's existence is perhaps the biggest delusion of all.

It's not really denial. It's more like pointing out that you're insane.

Lets play a game now, by replacing god with equally unprovable things based on pure wishful thinking

Indeed it is. And the denial of *****'s existence is perhaps the biggest delusion of all.

Indeed it is. And the denial of dragons's existence is perhaps the biggest delusion of all.
Indeed it is. And the denial of Killer supernatural clowns's existence is perhaps the biggest delusion of all.
Indeed it is. And the denial of the lock ness monster's existence is perhaps the biggest delusion of all.
Indeed it is. And the denial of the monster under the bed's existence is perhaps the biggest delusion of all.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
or any religious belief really.

They found a slab carved with an ancient marine deity at a little shrine beneath Paris's streets. Oh you wacky wacky French people.

Why so specific? Hasn't Tom suffered enough pinkie!?

Xenu and I are buddies. What can I say?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
It's more like pointing out that you're insane.

The funny thing is.

If we (the believers) are wrong we lose nothing.

If however, you are wrong... you lose everything.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
They found a slab carved with an ancient marine deity at a little shrine beneath Paris's streets. Oh you wacky wacky French people.
At last!
I planted the thing there years ago!
On a completly unrelated topic, I can sell you roman coins. what do you mean counterfeit?!

Xenu and I are buddies. What can I say?
Would that be the name of father to Jesus. Oh no wait, that's jehova witnesses or something OH NO! raelians!

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Oh you mean like when Comte worshipped his dead mistress?

Or when people are being pedantic to cover the fact that they're book covers rather than actual litterature.