• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Christian ENTPs?

What is your view on religion as an ENTP?

• I am Christian and very serious about it

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • I'm Christian...whateva

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I was raised Christian and came to my senses

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • Christians freak me the funk out, stay away!

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • I'm down with the Buddha

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I'm Muslim

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Judaism is my thing

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Athists are better lovers

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Agnostics are fearless lovers

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Dude, what the hell, you forgot mine!

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I said what I meant and I meant what I said. I am loyal to the people I love. After what God has done for me, I will always be loyal to him. I quickly soared to the top where few go, then fell flat on my face and lost EVERYTHING. That was no joke! God has humbled me. If there was a God in heaven, he was my only hope. Not only did he answer my prayers, he restored back everything I lost, plus so much more. I WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER accept that I am capable of doing anything on my own again without him. Christ's love has set me free from the ties that used to bind me. One of those ties was foolish pride, which would often manifest as cruel jokes at other's expense. I was in denial for so long that I was doing that. No more. Now, I work on honoring God and keeping my pride in check. I'm not perfect, but I believe God does the perfecting as we try. I remind myself that I am nobody; I am only somebody because of his love and mercy for me. To whom much is given, much is expected. That's where I'll stand. :solidarity:

Thanks for explaining this.

I think it was the missing piece that for some will help unlock understanding as to why you've taken the stance you have on this and other topics, and it seems pretty typical for those who came to a religious understanding after spending their lives being self-focused.

(My experience was different in that I started in the church, so there have been a lot of back-and-forths, spiritually speaking, but not with the no-god/God division your life has shown.)

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
And NTP women are different than NTP males.

There are a ton of factors which can determine one to believe or not to believe in God. Not just MBTI.
About that, there are studies hinting at the fact that women have, on average, a higher propencity to believe in the 'supernatural' in its wide definition (ufos, magic, religion ..) and describe themselves as more spiritual than men.
Of course there's a lot of factors to take into account here. But culture coevolves with our natural tendencies as well. In any case whatever the 'size' of the biological influence on this statistical tendency it doesn't make the facts less so (though I'll check more sources later as i have to go out ).
I guess you could try to compare supernatural belief in populations of women exposed to higher testosteron levels during gestation, that'd get you closer to an answer about the biological basis for gender differences in supernatural belief or perhaps lack thereof.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess you could try to compare supernatural belief in populations of women exposed to higher testosteron levels during gestation, that'd get you closer to an answer about the biological basis for gender differences in supernatural belief or perhaps lack thereof.

yeah, that would be an interesting study... aside from the ethics involved in specifically subjecting females to T in utero vs the difficulty in collecting natural data in a controlled fashion.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
About that, there are studies hinting at the fact that women have, on average, a higher propencity to believe in the 'supernatural' in its wide definition (ufos, magic, religion ..) and describe themselves as more spiritual than men.
Of course there's a lot of factors to take into account here. But culture coevolves with our natural tendencies as well. In any case whatever the 'size' of the biological influence on this statistical tendency it doesn't make the facts less so (though I'll check more sources later as i have to go out ).

Yes women tend to believe in the supernatural.

Actually I haven't really met a girl who doesn't believe in God (excluding people on the internet). Although I didn't ask them, I tend to avoid religious discutions, but they brought the subject up.

However this shouldn't be interpreted as an absolute affirmation, like all women believe in the supernatural, but as you pointed out, if you compare the number of women to the number of men who believe...there will be a difference, but I have no idea if it's big or not.

Emectar

MBTI Type
ENFP
If I meet an ENTP [or intuitive for that matter] I normally commence with the Christian bashing assuming there's no way on earth they could be one. Likewise, if I meet a sensor I assume they are and proceed with caution.

Don't get me wrong, I have respect for all faiths but intuitives tend to be rational people and since rational arguments don't normally work on religious people (otherwise, there would be no religious people) I tend to assume intuitives have processed Christianity and dismissed it, something sensors don't tend to do.

Thoughts and ideas would be great as I have no attachment to being right, just curious how the numbers play out.

I happen to be an atheist but i'd have to disagree that Intuitives are generally rational people. I'm possibly the least rational person in the history of the world. I think it's more that intuitives try to think everything out for themselves without blindly accepting everything theyre told. How they do the independent thinking varies.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I starting questioning religion seriously when I was maybe in the 7th grade, and decided that Buddhism made sense... however, since then, I would guess I am more along the lines of agnostic, but I still follow aspects of Buddhism.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
yeah, that would be an interesting study... aside from the ethics involved in specifically subjecting females to T in utero vs the difficulty in collecting natural data in a controlled fashion.

details an entp cannot be bothered with :whistling:
*drops the idea at an intj convention*
*leaves with a contented smile and waits for publications*

Evil Otter

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Well officially (on the records) I'm actually a Mormon, and I did it and didn't really give it much thought because well- compared to the other christian religions its more developed, I wouldn't drink or do drugs anyways being an avid athlete, I think coffee smell overbearing, accidentally had tea on two seperate occassions and thought it was disgusting, and having sex wasn't much of a temptation when I didn't have a car for dates. Then I went on a mission to Argentina and realized that I didn't give a flying shit about religion and none of them can even give me a reason why I should care because I don't fear hell (can't be that much worse than having to be in heaven with them) and heaven sounds boring. As for reincarnation, why would I worry about it if its without end and I won't remember the last life anyway. And it goes on and on for all the rest of em.

So now I'm a 22 yr old "return missionary" (what every mormon girl wants) one month back from my mission, with a car, and about to finish my last two years of college... this just got interesting

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a Atheist, but sometimes I love to argue with christians just to mess with them. Through if they're not zealots than their religion is pretty relevant

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
details an entp cannot be bothered with :whistling:
*drops the idea at an intj convention*
*leaves with a contented smile and waits for publications*

:laugh: This is how all good ideas become reality. ENTP -> INTJ. And one of the reasons I married an INTJ. ;)

StrawMan

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, it's all about faith. Many ENTPs don't have a strong faith in supernatural, do they? If I don't see it happening, or don't get enough evidence of it, I don't believe it.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Most of the "Rationals" I personally know are Christians. But I don't blame their lack of reason, it's the environment. The xNTJ's are more christian than the xNTP's. Something about personal connection with god and other mystical bullshit.

A

A window to the soul

It's interesting that Jung contributed a lot to God's presence in our lives. Jung didn't look at the conscious ego as the complete person; he also looked at the unconscious psyche and theorized that to be fully human we must be in dialog with the unknown. That our "central core" yearns for a life that's fully whole and integrated. The key assumption is that the conscious has to be open to the myriad of ways in which the unconscious manifests itself. Through the process of receiving and integrating the unconscious, we become more whole and individual.

As for ENTP's (Ne dom) having faith, lolz!, intuition by definition is the perception of the unseen. It's not surprising that some ENTP's put enough of the pieces together to form a wholeness of God. Jung called intuition the function closest to the unconscious and considered it necessary for individuation, which is what I briefly described in my previous paragraph. Me personally, I have a lot of faith. I think more than most.

A

Anew Leaf

Well, it's all about faith. Many ENTPs don't have a strong faith in supernatural, do they? If I don't see it happening, or don't get enough evidence of it, I don't believe it.

Actually my 4 ENTP friends are all Christian. My ex was not into religion at all.

I could be part of a strange N vortex though since I have far more N types in my life than statistics would have me believe is possible. :)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
But, without God there is no reason to love or admire anything... everything just is.

Really? I admired my husband when he got out of the shower dripping wet this evening. The only "just is" about that is that it just is sexy. God had nothing to do with it.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Really? I admired my husband when he got out of the shower dripping wet this evening. The only "just is" about that is that it just is sexy. God had nothing to do with it.

Clearly God made him sexy and allowed you to have him and blessed you both with wet watery goodness. Praises!

anewhero17

I am an ENTP to the letter, and I am a Christian and very serious about it. I came to it by logical conclusion. That sounds like nonsense to those that don't want to believe it, but then again, I don't have to believe what you do, and no one is forcing you to believe what I do. Do I care if you believe it, to a degree yes. From two degrees in particular: logic and compassion. Logic because of the amount of evidence that has eliminated the impossibility of spontaneous generation (which violates many scientific laws), and to deny Intelligent Design (at its core, not necessarily Christianity) is to deny science. Compassion because of what I have learned, and the fact that if we live by the general principles of Christianity, and having Christ reign in our lives, we would be much better off in the long run (yes, eternal life as well).
Do I believe in that eternally tormenting hellfire? Not a chance. It's not biblical, and to be a logical Christian is to go by what's in the Bible; otherwise, you're a liar and a hypocrite and the world blasphemes God because of you.
Are you offended by this? It's okay. I'm not ;)

Florence Atley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Belief in Christianity is not entirely positivistic, but that doesn't prove that it is irrational. Logic weighs many kinds of evidence, not just the physical. Whether or not a belief system is logical depends on how you reach conclusions to questions. Although Christians can not prove the existence of God empirically, they may still have valid beliefs which support their claim.

Perhaps you have not met many logically based Christians, but I would submit that many who rely on empirical evidence are not logically based either. Just because you believe what you read in a text book (or a Bible) does not automatically make you capable of logical thought. Furthermore, positivism (like Christianity) ultimately requires a faith (a belief built on incomplete evidence) that the scientific method is a 100% trustworthy system. Scientific theories also require this kind of faith. The major fallacy I notice in positivists is the same one I see in many Christians - their main response to burden of proof is appeal to authority, not logical reasoning.

There are two ways of arguing this - either you show that Christianity as a contained system has faulty premises or conclusions which don't follow (which you can also do with scientific theories), or you can say that Christianity does not follow from empiricism (which is what I think you're saying).

There are major gaps between Christianity and popular scientific theory. Fortunately, most of these gaps contain no empirical proof to debate (the existence of God, for instance). So now you ask, what about the big bang, evolution, etc? It is helpful that most of the discrepancies between Christianity and positivism exist in the form of scientific theories which can not be 100% proven, and which are still heavily debated within the scientific realm. Again, not much to debate.

Since a simple appeal to authority (either way) will not stand up to scrutiny, we might try to determine which system is most free from faulty premises. The burden of proof rests on the one willing to make that claim. I see no feasible way to make such a measurement, and I would certainly not leap to say positivism as a structure is entirely illogical (although a blind adherence to it would be).

If then, one were to come to the conclusion that both belief systems are equally plausible as self-contained structures, all that is left is to choose sides based on perceived truth. The answer to that question depends on what you're most focused on. Positivism falls greatly short on subjective experience and meaning, which most philosophers, neuroscientists and psychologists will tell you. Christianity falls short on scientific peer review and popular opinion.

Anyway, just trying to show that it IS possible to consider Christianity from a logical perspective.