• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What's the best way of deciding between INTJ and ENTJ?

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After a few months research, I've decided to throw SJ out the window. I find it highly unlikely. So, I'm no longer considering ESTJ (and the other SJs were never even a real consideration). I very, very rarely if ever score as Perceiving over Judging; it's nearly always vice versa. But I'm so often borderline Extravert/Introvert. I'm trying to make some distinctions between INTJ and ENTJ so I can decide which I am most like. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to try and understand each type's mindset in a variety of different situations ranging from debate, argument and philosophising to planning a war or major string of battles; from love, sex and relationships to getting a job or making a career for oneself.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
A simple way I try to distinguish between ENTJ's and INTJ's is to determine whether they focus more toward a goal or toward a plan. Both types are goal oriented planners, but I find INTJ's want to flesh out more details of their plan before beginning and are less likely to deviate from their plan once they've started (although they will come up with a ton of contingency plans to go with it). ENTJ's focus more on the goal and are much quicker to change details of their plan when they see it isn't working. ENTJ's keep their focus more on the goal than the plan. Also ENTJ's seem compelled to execute their plans themselves, while INTJ's would be content to have someone else execute their plan assuming they could find a person that they would trust to do it.

Another criteria is how people affect your energy level. Does being around a lot of people drain you over time or energize you?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to be more absorbed in living the idea in my head, mostly because I don't have the social connections or the practical skills to make my ideas real. I'm too impatient with detail work.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
Agree with The Liquid Laser (how may I abbreviate your nick, if possible? Laser? or TLL? or just in full?).

Another distinction between the two: INTJs seek to impose control only on their internal world. Whilst they may argue about things and all, very rarely will they seek to overtly control others, preferring instead to control their own minds, thoughts and behaviours.

ENTJs, on the other hand, tend to be machiavellians. They seek to impose their way of thinking on others, very often.

So in an argument with the two types, an INTJ is likely to go: "This is my opinion, and I'm right. But since we can't come to a conclusion, let's agree to disagree."

Whereas an ENTJ is likely to go: "This is my opinion, I'm right." And will try all means and ways to make the opposing side agree with him/her. They reach out to others, and actively try to influence their behaviour. An INTJ is not likely to be bothered to do so.

Note: the above are stereotypical. After a while, as one ages, you'll find that behaviour moderates, and one's not quite so extreme anymore. Mature people of any type would have learnt to behave in more appropriate manners with respect to social settings, and with regards to self expectations/management. Which is a good thing.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Do they make the acid quip out loud, or do they just fix you with an icy stare and think it, visibly?

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
Do they make the acid quip out loud, or do they just fix you with an icy stare and think it, visibly?

They visibly think it, but sometimes, unwittingly, they speak it out, such is the strength of their thoughts, unbeknownst at times even to themselves. :rofl1:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
After a few months research, I've decided to throw SJ out the window. I find it highly unlikely. So, I'm no longer considering ESTJ (and the other SJs were never even a real consideration). I very, very rarely if ever score as Perceiving over Judging; it's nearly always vice versa. But I'm so often borderline Extravert/Introvert. I'm trying to make some distinctions between INTJ and ENTJ so I can decide which I am most like. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to try and understand each type's mindset in a variety of different situations ranging from debate, argument and philosophizing to planning a war or major string of battles; from love, sex and relationships to getting a job or making a career for oneself.
I knew an ENTJ who really came on strong, who I likened to a steamroller.

ENTJs are more likely to be found commanding people, administrating something, some position of leadership.

Not that INTJs can't be leaders, but it's not typically their way of life.

How old are you?

Just by your avatars, I would think you're more E than I.

There was an E vs I thread around here somewhere that discussed the intricate differences. It's not all about who talks more. It has more to do with where you direct your thoughts and energy. I don't quite have the concept under my belt in a nice concise description yet.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Another distinction between the two: INTJs seek to impose control only on their internal world. Whilst they may argue about things and all, very rarely will they seek to overtly control others, preferring instead to control their own minds, thoughts and behaviours.

ENTJs, on the other hand, tend to be Machiavellians. They seek to impose their way of thinking on others, very often.

So in an argument with the two types, an INTJ is likely to go: "This is my opinion, and I'm right. But since we can't come to a conclusion, let's agree to disagree."

Yes, I like the idea of directing others to realize the more practical aspects of my ideas when they come to me, but I'm just not very confident in dealing with people, nor do I even have the social connections or resources to help realize my conceptions.

Ideally, however, to realize my visions, it's better to treat people like things, and I mean this in the nicest way possible. The reality is that if people were drones, my ideas could be realized much more easily, because people would do exactly as I say.

The ENTJ, though, is much more confident in dealing more directly with others when implementing their vision. I tend to look at the difference between an ENTJ and INTJ as the difference between the director and the screenwriter.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
Yes, I like the idea of directing others to realize the more practical aspects of my ideas when they come to me, but I'm just not very confident in dealing with people, nor do I even have the social connections or resources to help realize my conceptions.

Ideally, however, to realize my visions, it's better to treat people like things, and I mean this in the nicest way possible. The reality is that if people were drones, my ideas could be realized much more easily, because people would do exactly as I say.
The ENTJ, though, is much more confident in dealing more directly with others when implementing their vision. I tend to look at the difference between an ENTJ and INTJ as the difference between the director and the screenwriter.

Ladies and gentlemen, there we have it, a classic INTJ. :rofl1:

PS: I mean it sincerely. I'm beginning to like INTJs more and more. :holy: They are just so...practical, for want of a better word.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The trouble is, however, I haven't been able to come up with any new serious ideas lately. When that happens, I tend to bounce nonsensical, non-serious, and superficial ideas out into the world -- I start behaving like an ENTP.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
The trouble is, however, I haven't been able to come up with any new serious ideas lately. When that happens, I tend to bounce nonsensical, non-serious, and superficial ideas out into the world -- I start behaving like an ENTP.

ENTP. that means my sister, aelan. :thelook:

on the other hand though, INTJs tend to be too hard on themselves (yea, i'm certainly one to speak, guilty of the same :rolli:)--why do you always need to be serious?

what's wrong with lightening up once in a while? Nonsense, after all, is the brain's way of taking a break. of rest and rejuvenation.

And ofttimes, it is in play that the best ideas come. Because then, the mind is not regimented. it makes connections where none existed before.

INTPs excel at play. :yes: They thrive on it. :holy:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As an NT, I also marvel wordplay.

Is the way I described like how your sister is? (Aelan is really your sister?)

And I'm actually rarely serious about reality. In fact, the way I come up with ideas in the first place is by not taking things seriously.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
As an NT, I also marvel wordplay.

Is the way I described like how your sister is? (Aelan is really your sister?)

And I'm actually rarely serious about reality. In fact, the way I come up with ideas in the first place is by not taking things seriously.

Yes. Aelan, that macadamia, is my real life sister. :rolli: my TWIN sister. :rolli: :rolli:

yes, that's like how she's like. Akin to a hyper hammie on amphetamines, or something. She just won't leave me alone at times. It's like, "*poke poke prod prod* I need attention, I need an audience!" She'd feed me odd ideas, watch my intp mind process them, then blurb out the ideas to her, and she gets all :holy: and i get the same, and then, we stop traffic. :rofl1:

it's the positive INTP-ENTP feedback loop. Hilarious when on a roll.

Edit: about not taking things seriously. :yes: humor is the best defence in life.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Hmmm...
Makes me wonder why BlueWing said I wasn't behaving in an INTJ manner when I refused to enter into a debate with him.

Because what you said certainly describes me.

Some folks refer to him as TLL.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
But you're an INFJ on the inside! :alttongue:

Actually, INFJs in a debate are the ones who'd keep going on, and on, and on. Especially if you cross one of their fundamental beliefs. Because they make their decisions based on intangible emotions (which shift), yet they want fixed conclusions. Hence in debates, they get more and more :steam: , while an INTJ is more than likely not to be bothered, and to exit a debate if it gets too emotional. In fact, an INTJ is likely to be :huh: at the fuss, since they had only debated the points.

Because in a debate, an INTJ wants the points heard, in a rational way. Overemotiveness (the tendency of an INFJ) would, in all probability, make them drop the discussion. Especially if they logically assess that they have no chance of winning/having their side of the story heard.

Note: I know INTJs in real life; some are close friends. INFJs though, i've only met them here. DD is one. :D opinions welcome! :)

Edit: INTJmom, because your behaviour is that of a mature INTJ. Younger INTJs may be prone to stubbornness, in which case, the shadow appears: ESFP. Accusatory, overemotiveness, randomness of 'assault' on others based on perceptions.

Sorry, what's TLL? :unsure:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Actually, INFJs in a debate are the ones who'd keep going on, and on, and on. Especially if you cross one of their fundamental beliefs. Because they make their decisions based on intangible emotions (which shift), yet they want fixed conclusions. Hence in debates, they get more and more :steam: ...
I do that sometimes. :blush:

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
After a few months research, I've decided to throw SJ out the window. I find it highly unlikely. So, I'm no longer considering ESTJ (and the other SJs were never even a real consideration). I very, very rarely if ever score as Perceiving over Judging; it's nearly always vice versa. But I'm so often borderline Extravert/Introvert. I'm trying to make some distinctions between INTJ and ENTJ so I can decide which I am most like. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to try and understand each type's mindset in a variety of different situations ranging from debate, argument and philosophising to planning a war or major string of battles; from love, sex and relationships to getting a job or making a career for oneself.

You ask yourself far too many questions. How many threads like this have you started on several forums? Why don't you just type yourself xxTJ?